PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy/stupid for..

Extreme Coder
July 12th, 2007, 07:26 PM
almost ordering a GeForce 7600 GT/GS or ATI X1650 Pro?

I know there isn't a lot of stuff available for Linux which is very powerful, but I just got a $100 , and I want to buy the best AGP gfx card available for my PC, which only has an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 :/ and I am totally fed up with my ATI Radeon 9200 SE :(

But I want to be able to play Regnum Online at best quality at high res, and Compiz Fusion with EVERYTHING turned on :D And I couldn't run ManiaDrive on either of my graphics, so I'd want to try that too. I use Blender too, and its slow :/

Do you know of any other graphic-intensive games/apps for Linux?
And do you think I should buy the card?

Ahmad Yasser

clblanchard
July 12th, 2007, 07:51 PM
I currently have a 7600 gs and it plays Regnum Super Smooth with almost everything at max except Anisotropic and AA. The stupid thing to do is buy Ati right now. Just do a search for Ati problems and see what turns up, especially for compiz-fusion. Speaking of fusion, I also run it like a dream with my 7600gs and can watch video and play games w/o having to turn it off. you won't be sorry if all you have is $100 to spend. As far as graphic intensive apps you can try Maya and Blender for 3D rendering. Also Quake 4, Doom 3, and UT2004 are awesome native linux ports.

Extreme Coder
July 12th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I see, thx for your answer!
I will get the GT if I can get a rebate, or the GS if I can't.
I never knew you could run fusion with video and games :)
I think I will avoid the ATI then.

Isn't Maya only available for those who pay?