PDA

View Full Version : What developing tools do I need?

fedetxf
July 18th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I'm new to Ubuntu after using RedHat 9 an Fedora Core 2 for three years. Unfortunately, Fedora rejected my modem after accepting it for every previous release.

I recieved the CDs at home and I have managed to install it and set up all my hardware. I also added the apt repositories (Universe and Multiverse) and I already know how to use Synaptic since I was using it in Fedora.

OK, here are the questions

- I see there's cpp-3.3 installed and it cannot be unistalled, but there is no gcc there by default. I see gcc4.0, gcc 3.4, gcc 3.3 and gcc-base packages for every version. What should I install to have a nice building toolset? żbuild-essential? I don't plan to build .deb packages, but I may neet com compile c code, maybe build a program using ./configure && make && make install, but I hope not.

- What gcc version should I install? I see gcc-4.0 is prerelease, but gcc 4.0 is already out, so maybe the package is prerelease?

- Some of the packages I installed tell me they are not verified, is this OK? Are they coming from the multiverse repositories? I didn't add anything by hand only enabled what ubuntu had preinstalled.

- What is the best way to get Sun's Java installed? Install the ubuntu-extras repository?

I'm sorry for all the dumb questions but I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the new stuff I find. I still migrating and not doing any real work yet.

UbuWu
July 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM
What should I install to have a nice building toolset? żbuild-essential?

Yes, build-essential would be a nice start.

trivialpackets
July 18th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Yes, build-essential would be a nice start.
You should check out ubuntuguide.org both of those questions are answered there, plus many more. Welcome.

fedetxf
July 18th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Ubuntuguide.org is great. Thanks for the tip, I promise not to make dumb questions before reading it.