PDA

View Full Version : New Freenode channel (Unofficial)

Beamerboy
July 12th, 2007, 07:26 AM
It is no secret that a lot people find the enforcement of the CoC in #ubuntuforums (and other non support channels bearing the official Ubuntu flag) overly restrictive. I have been trying to find a suitable solution for some time, and after much consideration I decided to start up a new unofficial channel in accordance with Freenode's rules.

Whereas we are not bound by the CoC, we do expect people to behave in an adult fashion and use self moderation to prevent the need for a CoC. Bigotry, racism etc. are unacceptable, but we are not going to jump down people's throats for talking about politics, or using language which is not acceptable under the CoC (providing it is not used in a confrontational manner). Basically talk about what you want, but be responsible and be nice.

The channel has a 21+ Advisory on it but that doesn't mean if you are under 21 you are not welcome, so long as you behave in an adult fashion. However, if you are likely to be offended by people using language and discussing topics which the CoC forbids, you should probably not join.

If you don't like the subject of a conversation, simply leave the channel and return later, or use the /ignore command.

And remember, as my old man used to say "It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice."

The channel is called ##ubuntu-adults feel free to pop by and check it out. note the 2 #'s before the channel name, which denotes that the channel is an unofficial channel.

(To any mods, I cleared this post with JDong first, so no need to issue me an infraction thanks :) )

Paladine

UberIcarus
July 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM
w00t! added to my auto-join list. :D <this iz xippie>

I for one welcome our smarmy foul mouthed overlords! :P

bonzodog
July 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM
/me makes a note of this.

uh, also, there is ubuntugeeks #social-discussion channel on there for the forums of the same name, not bound by the CoC.

I also run a channel in conjunction with Zenrox called #think-tank on freenode - That is very much free-for-all (within reasonable bounds).