PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on a few Redbooks I may go through for office course reasons

Browser_ice
July 12th, 2007, 04:10 AM
I am working at IBM but on a contract for an external firm. They are starting to bug us to take courses and new skills. Some of what I am able to access (because I am a contractor I cannot access all the same stuffs as regular employees) includes IBM Redbooks. I saw a couple of them about IBM geting involved into Linux. I am thinking of heading that way but adding to me reading them, I just want your opinions on them. I may post a few here or maybe just one (depending on workload and if I find them boring or not).

Since the Redbooks are public domain, you should have access to them.

Here is the first I am going through now : http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4285.pdf
(http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redpapers/pdfs/redp4285.pdf)

Please no silly comments, jokes, flames, spaming, reply wars, dislikes and others. If you want to reply, then only do it if you have constructive critics and are serious. I do not want this thread to be wasted because of some stupid comments and leading repliers into something else.

So for this first Redbook about Linux, what do you think ?
Comments ?
How much of it applies to Ubuntu ?
Any errors they have made or false informations ?

Browser_ice
July 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM
So far this Redbook is prety technical. I'on page 54 and it is now talking about monitoring tools. This could be handy. It lists the following tools with options/parms description and exemples. Cool stuff !

top -> Process activity
vmstat -> System activity, Hardware and system information
uptime, w -> Average system load
ps, pstree -> Displays the processes
free -> Memory usage
iostat -> Average CPU load, disk activity
sar -> Collect and report system activity
mpstat -> Multiprocessor usage
numastat -> NUMA-related statistics
pmap -> Process memory usage
netstat -> Network statistics
iptraf -> Real-time network statistics