PDA

View Full Version : Email Providers

init1
July 12th, 2007, 02:46 AM
I need a new email provider. I don't want gmail, because I won't give out my name, and I don't like to lie. I don't want hotmail, because I don't like MS, and I don't want yahoo because they support MS. Any ideas?

jrusso2
July 12th, 2007, 03:28 AM
http://www.freelinuxemail.com/

LookTJ
July 12th, 2007, 03:33 AM
May you please state a reason why you really need a new provider? Why not use your ISP?

Warpnow
July 12th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Silly reason not to use gmail...

I never use my real name, because that's what you come up as in chat and email with other gmail users.

First name: The Great and
Last name: all powerful God

;)

tbroderick
July 12th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Any ideas?

Setup your own mail server. You'll have full control and don't have to worry about Microsoft. :roll:

Warpnow
July 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
yeah, but the COOL part of your own mail server is custom domains and some registrars do email for free, so why host it yourself and waste bandwith? :-p

init1
July 12th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Setup your own mail server. You'll have full control and don't have to worry about Microsoft. :roll:
Don't know how.

init1
July 12th, 2007, 06:05 AM
May you please state a reason why you really need a new provider? Why not use your ISP?
Long story.
I went to a forum and signed up. They said that they were going to send me a confirmation email. It never came. I tried again, but it said that the email address was in use.

Warpnow
July 12th, 2007, 06:27 AM
http://email.about.com/od/freeemailreviews/tp/free_email.htm

LookTJ
July 12th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Long story.
I went to a forum and signed up. They said that they were going to send me a confirmation email. It never came. I tried again, but it said that the email address was in use.Maybe that forum's mail server was messed up? Why didn't you contact the admin/webmaster?

FoolsGold_MKII
July 12th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Can I ask why you don't want to "lie"?

It's not lying if you don't put a real name - you're merely selectively protecting your privacy. There are worse situations to lie in than a simple email registration. Heck, even my Ubuntu forum account doesn't have my full name (last name is just the initial).

Adamant1988
July 12th, 2007, 07:52 AM
When I just started using the net I was scared to use my real name.. ever. Now I have no problem giving out anything but my vital numbers and home address.

Beamerboy
July 12th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I need a new email provider. I don't want gmail, because I won't give out my name, and I don't like to lie. I don't want hotmail, because I don't like MS, and I don't want yahoo because they support MS. Any ideas?

It is worth spending 5 bucks for your own domain and either setup your own nameserver or use a free dns service like dnsexit.com and then run your own mail server. I use postfix+courier-imap with MySQL for controlling virtual domains and users.

That way you never have to find a new provider again.

Paladine

Warpnow
July 12th, 2007, 08:12 AM
You can use your own domain with gmail now.

init1
July 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Maybe that forum's mail server was messed up? Why didn't you contact the admin/webmaster?
I did. No response yet.

init1
July 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Can I ask why you don't want to "lie"?

It's not lying if you don't put a real name - you're merely selectively protecting your privacy. There are worse situations to lie in than a simple email registration. Heck, even my Ubuntu forum account doesn't have my full name (last name is just the initial).
I read the "terms of agreement" and it said that I was required to give accurate information. I may do it anyway, though.

smoker
July 12th, 2007, 11:13 AM
why don't you reverse your name and spell it backwards - that way, technically, you're not lying! :-)

Ozor Mox
July 12th, 2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.freelinuxemail.com/

Wow, that looks awfully similar to my old provider (http://www.f-m.fm/)...

Does Gmail really allow you to use your own domain name? Cause that's one thing that Yahoo Mail doesn't do and I have to use my registrar's forwarding system. I've been thinking of switching to them...