PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War for Linux?

guitarmaniac
July 12th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Just read this article here http://www.localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/story/1578789/
Its says Gears of War will be released on PC.
Epic the company that made the game also made Unreal Tournament so I wonder if theres a chance that they will include a Linux installer in the game?

Time for another petition???

BarfBag
July 12th, 2007, 01:03 AM
As awesome as a Gears of War for Linux would be, let's not waste our time on another online petition. Companies take them as a grain of salt.

AlexenderReez
July 12th, 2007, 01:05 AM
it is look like required direct x but direct x for linux is not done yet...i'm more waiting for direct x 10 for linux....

:)

BWF89
July 12th, 2007, 01:09 AM
It would be kinda funny one of the flagship games for a Microsoft gaming platform being ported to Linux.

bashologist
July 12th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Is it done with Microsoft game studio? If it is then i doubt they'll port it.

Wiebelhaus
July 12th, 2007, 01:30 AM
although to my dismay , you sir are correct.

Polygon
July 12th, 2007, 01:45 AM
hmm that is interestering. But of course by the time it comes out for PC microsoft will of given up trying to make money off of it

but it is made by epic that does support linux, interesting

FoolsGold_MKII
July 12th, 2007, 03:24 AM
No bloody chance.

godd4242
July 12th, 2007, 04:07 AM
No bloody chance.

Listen to this man, for he is wise.

MIcrosoft publishes GoW, they'd have a conniption if it went anything other than Vista required.

stmiller
July 12th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Ha. Microsoft creating Gears of War for Linux.

jusmurph
July 12th, 2007, 05:22 AM
It would be kinda funny one of the flagship games for a Microsoft gaming platform being ported to Linux.

Exactly what i was going to say.

mrgnash
July 12th, 2007, 06:28 AM
No chance. You'll have to find something else to do for 20 minutes of your life.

guitarmaniac
July 12th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Yeah I know that its extremely unlikely but its NOT microsoft making the game, its Epic so there is still a slim possibility.
I know petitions arent going to get the game ported, however, if we dont continue to kick up a fuss every time linux is overlooked, then its going to keep on happening.

Warpnow
July 12th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Buying linux games already out would do MUCH more for linux gaming.

Honestly, if I made games professionally, I wouldn't port them to linux. I just can't see drawing a profit off the time and money you'd have to invest.

Polygon
July 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Buying linux games already out would do MUCH more for linux gaming.

Honestly, if I made games professionally, I wouldn't port them to linux. I just can't see drawing a profit off the time and money you'd have to invest.

the unreal engine was built from the ground up to be modular and to be very very easy to port to different operating systems. It is not that much work.

And i heard on a E3 report today that Gears of war for the pc is going to have connectivity with the xbox360 version using Windows Live.... so i think that just sums it up that there will not be a linux port, or if there is it will be pc vs pc only for multiplayer

strycore
July 12th, 2007, 10:46 AM
i think that porting Gears Of War to Linux should not be too hard .
A few years ago , with the release of the first Unreal Engine, Loki ported Rune to Linux (and several games based on Quake2 Engine).
With the Linux version of Unreal Engine 3 , we could see the same thing happening.
The problem is that Microsoft is trying to destroy OpenGL , just look at the framerate of games such as Quake 4 on Windows Vista : it's disastrous !

I also hope that the Playstation 3 will help Linux gaming as it is using OpenGL. It's the only serious competitor to microsoft's DirectX these days.

guitarmaniac
July 13th, 2007, 10:18 AM
i think that porting Gears Of War to Linux should not be too hard .
A few years ago , with the release of the first Unreal Engine, Loki ported Rune to Linux (and several games based on Quake2 Engine).
With the Linux version of Unreal Engine 3 , we could see the same thing happening.
The problem is that Microsoft is trying to destroy OpenGL , just look at the framerate of games such as Quake 4 on Windows Vista : it's disastrous !

I also hope that the Playstation 3 will help Linux gaming as it is using OpenGL. It's the only serious competitor to microsoft's DirectX these days.

OK thats it, Im buying a PS3 (Maybe they'll port Gears of War to that :P ).

rentonj7
July 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I'm not holding my breath on this one, but in an interview Mark Rein said that Epic is bringing Gears to macs. If that's happening, who knows, maybe they'll put out some linux binaries.

interview (around 3:15 into the video)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22016.html

-Ghost9-
July 15th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm not holding my breath on this one, but in an interview Mark Rein said that Epic is bringing Gears to macs. If that's happening, who knows, maybe they'll put out some linux binaries.

interview (around 3:15 into the video)
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22016.html

I saw this too. That'd be awesome if gears goes linux!

stmiller
July 15th, 2007, 07:57 PM

PS3 currently doesn't have good 3D in Linux, I believe. And it's PowerPC. So a Linux game would have to be ported to PowerPC. (ut2004 and others are not available for PowerPC Linux)
But it is possible, just no one has put forth the effort in the big Linux games available.

Freddy
July 17th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Actually it's not a Microsoft game studio that developed Gears of War, Microsoft only bought the exclusive rights for it but the time has passed and Epic games will port GoW for OSX, there's aa slim chance that GNU/Linux will get it as well, but I have found nothing to support or deny that unfortunately.

Da Link: http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=15395

/Freddan

justin whitaker
July 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Epic is not going to port the PC version of Gears over to Linux. Apparently, it's too tied to Live, etc....

U3 is going to be PC and PS3 until the end of 2007, then sometime in 2008, the 360 gets its version. It won't be as tied to Microsoft, in other words, and it will have an eventual Linux installer.....

Gears is absolutely effing amazing, BTW.

Freddy
July 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Epic is not going to port the PC version of Gears over to Linux. Apparently, it's too tied to Live, etc....

U3 is going to be PC and PS3 until the end of 2007, then sometime in 2008, the 360 gets its version. It won't be as tied to Microsoft, in other words, and it will have an eventual Linux installer.....

Gears is absolutely effing amazing, BTW.
Ehh, you don't read posts do you?

If you would have read the last post in this thread, you would have seen that GoW will be ported to other systems than Windows, it will at least be ported to OSX together with UT3 and I don't believe that MS Live is available on that OS, but you might know better than Epic themselfs ;). Btw what do you mean with PC version? cause you know that GNU/Linux also runs on PCs?

Read da link: http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/s...rticleID=15395

/Freddan

Afoot
July 19th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Gears of Wars is based on the same engine as UT3, which is OpenGL-based. Both of these games will be released for Mac as well as Windows so there's a chance, albeit a tiny one, that GoW will be released on Linux as well. Since it's OpenGL-based though, it could run satisfactory in Wine or CrossOver.

Polygon
July 19th, 2007, 01:04 AM
I think that if they are porting it to the mac (and hopefully linux) then it will just have regular multiplayer, but you wont be able to use windows live! you can only play with other mac/linux users (and maybe windows users as well)

fain
November 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/21/0433201&mode=thread (http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/21/0433201&mode=thread)

No linux port :( seems microsoft is scared of linux cause they know it would take over if it got many games.

Softworn
June 20th, 2011, 04:14 AM
it is look like required direct x but direct x for linux is not done yet...i'm more waiting for direct x 10 for linux....

:)

Is this some sort of implicit and sarcastic way of saying it will never happen? I think it would have just been easier for you say say it is never going to be released for Linux. :(

overdrank
June 20th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Back to sleep thread. Thread closed.