PDA

View Full Version : Stock Market

ShareBuntu
July 11th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Is anyone interested in the stock market, in particular tech stocks?

jiminycricket
July 11th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I enjoy reading about SCOX and MSFT. The former is just for laughs, and the latter is pure interest.

ShareBuntu
July 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I enjoy reading about SCOX and MSFT. The former is just for laughs, and the latter is pure interest.I was thinking more along the lines of belonging to (or seeking) an investment club for tech stocks when I asked my question. I'm also curious about how many Linux users are interested in the market.

Omnios
July 11th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I used to be interested in stocks but did not have the money to play the game. One thing I did learn was what I call buying down which is used when a stock you invested in goes down.

So say you bought 100 stocks and it dumps pretty low. Now most people would think of selling them or just hanging for a while till they raise again. Now if you know that the stock will raise again and it will but the length of time required is the unknown. anyways because the stock is now available to buy much lower you can buy stocks much cheaper and this is the buying down part.

so say you bought 100 stocks at say $2 and it dumps down to $1 you could possibly buy another 100 stocks at $1. So your original investment was 100 at $2 which is $200 now the down price is a $1 so 100 stocks at $1 is $100. Now the buying down is for 200 stock sets 100 at $2 and 100 at $1 giving 200 stocks with a total price of $300. Divide that by 200 you gt a bought down stock price of $1.50 a stock.

Now this allows for a bid more profit when the price goes up again or allows you to dump at $1.50 without loosing anything.

Ill take donation lol.

ShareBuntu
July 11th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I used to be interested in stocks but did not have the money to play the game. One thing I did learn was what I call buying down which is used when a stock you invested in goes down.

So say you bought 100 stocks and it dumps pretty low. Now most people would think of selling them or just hanging for a while till they raise again. Now if you know that the stock will raise again and it will but the length of time required is the unknown. anyways because the stock is now available to buy much lower you can buy stocks much cheaper and this is the buying down part.

so say you bought 100 stocks at say $2 and it dumps down to $1 you could possibly buy another 100 stocks at $1. So your original investment was 100 at $2 which is $200 now the down price is a $1 so 100 stocks at $1 is $100. Now the buying down is for 200 stock sets 100 at $2 and 100 at $1 giving 200 stocks with a total price of $300. Divide that by 200 you gt a bought down stock price of $1.50 a stock.

Now this allows for a bid more profit when the price goes up again or allows you to dump at $1.50 without loosing anything.

Ill take donation lol.
Thanks for the reply. That's really interesting. I've been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and learning about the stock market for even less.

What I'm truly interested in is combining the community-like knowledge sharing with the stock market. I'd like to build the community primarily from Ubuntu users to start off with. Not really sure if Ubuntu users are that interested in the stock market though.

Any takers?

tcpip4lyfe
July 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM
I love watching the US market. I own maybe 10-25 shares of GE, MSFT, Nokia, TLVT, and Quest. Lots of large caps. (nice and safe usually) Microsoft, not suprisingly, has been a good buy. TLVT is Telvent Git, S.A, a communications tech company in East Europe I believe. It was pretty undervalued when I bought it. It's definatly a one I'll keep for a while and see what happens. GE is, well, GE. Nice and safe. It will be interesting to see what the US market does today after the big plunge yesterday. Earnings and Consumer Confidence comes out today. Hopefully the news is good since the world markets were all down last night. Might be moving some assests into the bond market if the slump continues.

Edit: ever played with this site?
Pretty fun. We should make a ubuntu group.
http://simulator.investopedia.com/

ShareBuntu
July 28th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I love watching the US market. I own maybe 10-25 shares of GE, MSFT, Nokia, TLVT, and Quest. Lots of large caps. (nice and safe usually) Microsoft, not suprisingly, has been a good buy. TLVT is Telvent Git, S.A, a communications tech company in East Europe I believe. It was pretty undervalued when I bought it. It's definatly a one I'll keep for a while and see what happens. GE is, well, GE. Nice and safe. It will be interesting to see what the US market does today after the big plunge yesterday. Earnings and Consumer Confidence comes out today. Hopefully the news is good since the world markets were all down last night. Might be moving some assests into the bond market if the slump continues.

Edit: ever played with this site?
Pretty fun. We should make a ubuntu group.
http://simulator.investopedia.com/

Just the reply I was waiting for. I was beginning to think the open source community has no interest in security analysis. I'm definitely interested in a group. Perhaps an investment club of sorts? I'm also working on some investment applications and have been collecting worthy open source software to form a suite of investment tools.

Investopedia looks great. I was thinking of setting up a similar web site to house collective knowledge a group might acquire as it progresses and builds its portfolio. Give me a buzz if you're interested.

st33med
July 28th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Also, try Big Smarty (http://www.bigsmarty.com/). It's a stock market game based on what's really happening in the stocks. I tried it, but I discovered I'm not a money man or stock person.

runningwithscissors
July 28th, 2007, 04:07 PM

xavier_r
August 22nd, 2007, 05:57 AM
I am 21, and I do daily trading... I love it, and curently its my source of earning money... :D

littlespy
December 11th, 2007, 07:38 AM
buy gold

aimran
December 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hi there...

I'm doing my final year dissertation on principal component analysis for stock market prediction and fluid flow analysis. My housemate final year paper on vector regression machines for financial analysis.

Hopefully by May, or earlier, when we have completed our papers we will upload our programs here (written in MATLAB) for those of you interested in stock markets.

Stay tuned!

trougnouf
February 12th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Hello,
I am interested in the stock market too, but I still didn't figure oun where to start after hours of reading.
I would like to buy $100 from AMD, and eventually another $100 from another company (Google? Apple?), but I don't know how to buy them. Should I ask my bank (WaMu), or a company on Internet? All the results I found on Google were from these companies (not reviews) or really basic stuffs that just tell me about the risks of buying stock market.
(Please excuse my bad grammar, I am French)
Thank you!

Spr0k3t
February 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I'm a stock junkie as well... but I play the game on the downside (calls/puts). Tech stocks are never in a big swing unless there are political gains to be had (both directions). I'm already a part of an investment club otherwise I would be interested in joining. The best tip I can give you about stocks: Stock tips are worthless.

Spr0k3t
February 12th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hello,
I am interested in the stock market too, but I still didn't figure oun where to start after hours of reading.
I would like to buy $100 from AMD, and eventually another $100 from another company (Google? Apple?), but I don't know how to buy them. Should I ask my bank (WaMu), or a company on Internet? All the results I found on Google were from these companies (not reviews) or really basic stuffs that just tell me about the risks of buying stock market.
(Please excuse my bad grammar, I am French)
Thank you!

Votre grammaire est bonne. Le mieux est de "papier commerce" pendant un moment, puis investir pour de vrai. Scottrade.com, c'est ce que j'ai utilisé pour mes placements.

Excuser moi, mon français est rouillé. hmmm, three years of French over fifteen years ago.

Seriously though, before you do any kind of investing, you should do some paper trading. Go with your gut instincts for a while, then use some tactics defined by experts in the game of stocks. I like to work with charts in candle sticks and bollinger bands. There is a ton of information to learn about the stock market, and there are individuals with hundreds of years worth of information smarter than a solitaire investor. I use Scottrade.com for my own investing.

Time span to paper trade for a beginner, stick to it for at least one year before making any real investments.