PDA

View Full Version : Any Hip Hop Heads in here?

ThinkBuntu
July 11th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Do we have any hip hop heads in here? What are some of your favorite verses? No more than four bars...of course, reading is nothing like hearing, but maybe we can share some hip hop knowledge here and find some good music to sample. Any language is OK, too. Oh, and nothing too profane or dirty, which unfortunately discriminates against some of Biggie's greatest lines.

Let's start with a little NYC:

Then in the middle of Little Italy little did we know that we riddled with middlemen that didn't do diddly

I woke up early on my born day, I'm 20, it's a blessin', the essence of adolescence leaves my body, now I'm freshin'.

ThinkBuntu
July 11th, 2007, 08:01 PM
One more I was just vibin' to:

We aint havin that! Reachin past the star status that you grabbin' at, my battle raps blast your *** back to your natural habitat

justin whitaker
July 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Here are a few:

She loves repetative songs that keep playin'/You know the repetative songs that keep playin'/She learned all the words and she works it baby/Dangerously catchy and she feels it in her cervix lately

You busy screaming gangsta, gangsta all that talk is trife/
You already know lost the fight if you don't know the cost of life

Fake fools from around the way/Knowing damn well, you ain't from LA/
Ashamed where you come from son, so you rattle/Like it or not, I scream straight up Seattle

ThinkBuntu
July 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM
ATLiens is a great record:

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me - to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check
If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

justin whitaker
July 11th, 2007, 08:39 PM
ATLiens is a great record:

Damn, I was so going to post that! :(:)

cmmike1
July 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Much to success to ya, even if you wish me the opposite,

Sooner or later we'll all see who the prophet is

I always liked that line a lot.

ThinkBuntu
July 11th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I always liked that line a lot.
I love that song. Quite a few songs on I Am really seem like shots in the dark with an array of producers as Nas was trying to develop his sound beyond Nastradamus, but Primo's track shines.

I could quote pretty much all of his song Purple from The Lost Tapes, too.

cmmike1
July 11th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Do we have any hip hop heads in here? What are some of your favorite verses? No more than four bars...of course, reading is nothing like hearing, but maybe we can share some hip hop knowledge here and find some good music to sample. Any language is OK, too. Oh, and nothing too profane or dirty, which unfortunately discriminates against some of Biggie's greatest lines.

Let's start with a little NYC:

I love that song. Quite a few songs on I Am really seem like shots in the dark with an array of producers as Nas was trying to develop his sound beyond Nastradamus, but Primo's track shines.

I could quote pretty much all of his song Purple from The Lost Tapes, too.

he has a really good verse on affirmative action too. it just goes with the song really well in my opinion. i could listen to nas all day long.

ThinkBuntu
July 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I always liked this one:

It's the return of the Jedi, from Rio di Janeiro on the red-eye, yet I, still feel the need to be fly
You also have to check his verse in Big L's Da Graveyard...no single amazing rhyme, but this is Jay-Z in the cut before he had released any records.

%hMa@?b<C
July 11th, 2007, 11:04 PM
the two lines in my signature- from GZA- "Liquid Swords"

kanem
July 11th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Old, but still not surpassed. IMO this is the best 4 lines from the best verse from the best song from the best lyricist ever.

I'll take 7 MCs put em in a line
And add 7 more brothers who think they can rhyme
Well it'll take 7 more before I go for mine
And that's 21 MCs ate up at the same time

lode
July 12th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I really like many of the lyrics of MC Solaar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MC_Solaar) -- a pioneering hiphop artist from France --, and really don't care that many people, especially in France, feel that he's been heavily 'commercialized' over the years.

Here's some lines from Nouveau Western:

Mais Harry à Paris n'a pas eu de chance
On le stoppe sur le périph' avec sa diligence
Puis on le place à Fresnes pour que Fresnes le freine

(Roughly) translated this would mean as much as:

But Harry, in Paris, didn't have any chance,
they stopped him on the periphery (the highway that goes around Paris) with his diligence.
After that, they placed him in Fresnes (a famous prison), to let Fresnes break him down.

I especially like verses like these because they're loaded with fun wordplay (Fresnes and freine are homonyms). Another fine example of French hiphop wordplay, are the first two lines of Nouveau Western:

Le vent souffle en Arizona
Un état d'Amérique dans lequel Harry zona

(The wind blows in Arizona,
a state of America in which Harry wonders around. -- Again: Arizona and Harry zona (nearly) are homonyms.)

Furthermore I'd like to share some Flemish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish_(linguistics)) -- the Dutch 'dialect' spoken in Belgium -- hiphop.

The following lyrics are from a band called 't Hof van Commerce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/'t_Hof_van_Commerce) ('chamber of commerce'), and here they're making fun of the 'Americanization' of the local hiphop community.

Je zied en hoere. Ei, ge verkopt u zelven,
ge zie nie stoere. Ei, ge gaat uzelven bedelven,
ge komt al eens niet uit de ghettos of van op de straten.
Ei, ge noemt u moaten geen posse moar geweune u moaten,

(You are a *****, hey, you're selling yourself out,
you aren't tough, hey, you're going to burry yourself,
you aren't from the ghettos, nor the streets.
Hey, you don't call your friends (slang) 'your posse', but just your friends (slang).)

ThinkBuntu
July 12th, 2007, 02:00 PM
the two lines in my signature- from GZA- "Liquid Swords"
Of course, there's always the classic:

Shimmy shimmy ya, shimmy yea, shimmy ay,
Give me the mic so I can take it away,
Off on a natural charge, bon voyage,
Yea, from the home of the Dodgers, Brooklyn squad