PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I've been blended?

poptones
July 18th, 2005, 06:07 AM
I'm not big on "titles" that simply change with the number of posts on a forum, you might as well jsut put the bumber of posts there. But I'm curious why we all have "titles" now when they're all the same? Is there a list of titles? How do I become Emperor?

TravisNewman
July 18th, 2005, 06:20 AM
We're revamping the titles here to make them more uniform. When we're done we'll post the specifics.

poptones
July 18th, 2005, 06:23 AM
So Emperor is out?

Sye d'Burns
July 18th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Is it back to being a inspiring guru?

I always liked the confusion that invited :P

Kvark
July 18th, 2005, 09:44 AM
The titles/ranks have been bothering me too.

The only truly meaningful titles are those tied to a specific role the person plays in something people heard about or a specific thing the person has done that many heard about.

People who can get titles like that are forum moderators, wiki moderators, op in irc channel #ubuntu or #ubunutforums, cononical staff, creators/maintainers of specific programs, celebrities from other distros and people who do projects like ubuntuguide and backports.

Which means most people are left to automatically generated standard titles. If the standard titles are ranks based on post count only. Then they are a straight one dimensional ranking ladder. The only meaning of such a rank is how high up the ladder it is. If you can't compare the rank to a random other rank and figure out which one is higher up, then the rank holds no meaning at all.

Perhapas there could be alternative ladders. If someone answers questions or writes howtos he/she could be moved to a helpful/tutor/mentor sounding ladder. Someone posting artwork could be moved to an artistic sounding ladder. Someone writing for example auto configure scripts could be moved to a scripter/coder ladder.....

poptones
July 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
If you have "done something lots have heard about" but need a title to tell everyone... error, infinite WHILE in DO, cannot resolve...

Perhaps there could be a title "Big in Japan!"

If I can't be Emperor can I be an Actual Webe model?

(Is anyone getting these? I crack myself up!)

Sye d'Burns
July 18th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Without debating the merits of a ranking system based upon the number of posts one has made, I actually liked the Ubuntu / coffee scheme.

Then again I liked the last system they had as well so they've got a good track record with me.

I'm just another inspiring Ubuntu java junkie aspirant.

Sye d'Burns
July 18th, 2005, 10:33 AM
If I can't be Emperor can I be an Actual Webe model?

(Is anyone getting these? I crack myself up!)

Actually the first thing that popped in my head was His Imperial Majesty Emporor Norton I. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_1) Hehe, quite the character!

Kvark
July 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
If you have "done something lots have heard about" but need a title to tell everyone... error, infinite WHILE in DO, cannot resolve...

Everyone here heard about ubuntuguide, but most wouldn't recognize the guy who wrote it when he posts here if he didn't have a rank that mentions the guide.

Even if you take someting really big like who wrote the GNU GPL licence, there is still a lot who have no idea. And even those who know wouldn't recognize the guy if he posted under some forum nickname.

If you take just any random program, a lot of people might use it, but nobody knows who made it.

carlc
July 18th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Don't some forums like "justlinux" let you choose your own title after a certain number of posts? I like that idea.

somuchfortheafter
July 18th, 2005, 04:55 PM
yea but i need a good title then....