PDA

View Full Version : Looking for IDE's...

grofaz
July 18th, 2005, 05:28 AM
...I'm looking for a good C/C++ IDE and a good Assembly language IDE. Can anyone recommend anything ? I'm studying HLA at the moment so something that could handle that would be great. FASM would be good too. What's available ?

Also I'm looking for a good DVD decoder package.

Help appreciated, there's so many packages and time is tight at the moment.

Thanks!

ghostrifle
July 18th, 2005, 07:17 AM
The best IDE on linux for C/C++ oder Assembler is your favourite text editor. Maybe you wanna try out eclipse with the CDT plugins too ;-)

Lord Illidan
July 18th, 2005, 07:50 AM
If you are using KDE, then you can use KDevelop to work with C++.
On Gnome, you can use Glade...
However, I dunno much about assembler..

Lord Illidan
July 18th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Also I'm looking for a good DVD decoder package.

Libdvdcss will work...

grofaz
July 18th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I searched Synaptic Universe for Libdvdcss but came up blank. Where can I find it please??

ghostrifle
July 18th, 2005, 11:44 AM
You have to add an extra repository for libdvdcss. Check ubuntuiguide.org

Quest-Master
July 18th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Anjuta forever. :D

grofaz
July 18th, 2005, 11:43 PM
I added all repositories (Universe) as in the guide but Libdvdcss and Libdvdcss2 both come up as unavailable. Is there another source ? Also, I've been downloading some IDE software manually but I don't know the correct procedure for installing/uninstalling programs. Where do I put stuff ?

grofaz OUT

msh
July 19th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Emacs is a good (stable, easy to customize, got good defaults for both c/c++ and assembler) IDE for assmbler and c/c++.

I used it for my last C++/assmbler project.

wrtrdood
July 19th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Anjuta is really quite good. It's been a while since I've used it but I found it to be mature and quite configurable. If you prefer KDE, KDevelop is a good choice too.

The thing about basic editors is the lack of debugging support. I realize that many editors now include syntax highlighting and that's handy but IDEs excel when you start getting serious. Debugging and profiling are just the beginning.