PDA

View Full Version : Is there just plan Linux?

~~Tito~~
July 11th, 2007, 11:15 AM
A linux os, that has the penguin and made by the people who made linux. Kinda like Apple only makes the Mac os. So is there an exclusive only linux developed os with out any one else making it, or incorporating it? Not that I would use it, but I'm just curious.

I hope you'll get it because it was hard for me to explain.

Hope this want a stupid question.

v8YKxgHe
July 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Linux is just the Kernel, it's not an entire operating-system by it's self, hence why we have distributions that make it into the OS =)

DoctorMO
July 11th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Well the idea doesn't make any sense; apple didn't create the apple os from scratch; instead the used gnu tools, apple tools and the BSD kernel revamped for the powerpc and apple stack released as the Darwin Kernel.

As for Linux, it _isn't_ an OS, it's a kernel. Gnu is a tool set which forms an os when combined with linux. As for creating things on your own.... it's never as good, I should know.

~~Tito~~
July 11th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Linux is just the Kernel, it's not an entire operating-system by it's self, hence why we have distributions that make it into the OS =)

Oh, ok. Thanks :KS:KS:KS:KS:KS. Who developed it? Bill Gates and Steve Jobs offspring?

v8YKxgHe
July 11th, 2007, 11:31 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds

Verlaine
July 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
A linux os, that has the penguin and made by the people who made linux. Kinda like Apple only makes the Mac os. So is there an exclusive only linux developed os with out any one else making it, or incorporating it? Not that I would use it, but I'm just curious.

I hope you'll get it because it was hard for me to explain.

Hope this want a stupid question.

Not a stupid question in the slightest but one that comes from a common misconception caused by lazy use of the word "Linux". The fact is Linux is not an operating system, it is the kernel the operating system (such as Ubuntu) is based on. In very simple terms the kernel is part of an OS that communicates between hardware and software fo a more complete explanation look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_%28computer_science%29

The Linux kernel was used by the GNU free software operating system, there is no "official" Linux distro although it could be argued that Debian and Redhat are the seeds from which the majority of the current distros were derived from.

panther_sn
July 11th, 2007, 11:32 AM
May be worth having a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

panther_sn
July 11th, 2007, 11:34 AM
looks like we all posted at once :)

~~Tito~~
July 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Hmmm, So it was that guy who made the kernel and he let people manipulate it to make an os?

NeoTaoistTechnoPagan
July 11th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Linux was developed in 1991 by Linus Torvalds who was then a student at the University of Helsinki in Finland.

The GNU (Gnu's Not Unix) Project was announced by Richard Stallman in 1985.

Articles that should sum it all up for you:

http://library.thinkquest.org/C003740/history.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rhasan/linux/
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html
http://www.free-soft.org/gpl_history/

It never hurts to do some background reading. If you *really* want to get under the hood with Linux and understand it, try Linux from Scratch.

If you just want to use it for now and get under the hood later, you're in the right place with Ubuntu.

Each distro is going to have a different look and feel because each development team had different goals in mind. Some strive for simplicity while others want bleeding-edge.

It's all about choice.

And Google is your friend.

~~Tito~~
July 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Hmm, ok thanks.

NeoTaoistTechnoPagan
July 11th, 2007, 11:40 AM
there is no "official" Linux distro although it could be argued that Debian and Redhat are the seeds from which the majority of the current distros were derived from.

Oh yeah? What about Gentoo?

;-)

NeoTaoistTechnoPagan
July 11th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Hmmm, So it was that guy who made the kernel and he let people manipulate it to make an os?

The kernel is totally separate from the GNU tools. It's possible to not use a Linux kernel and use the Hurd kernel if you wanted to. Each has its own features.

Think of it as layers - at the core you have the kernel, then the GNU tools, and on top of that you can have a GUI.

Verlaine
July 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM

That is the essence of free software, anyone can use the code in anyway they like as long as they extend the privildge to other. Linus Torvalds didn't make the Linux kernel by himself but he did give birth to it.

SunnyRabbiera
July 11th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Linux unlike OSX or windows is more a kernel and not really a os, however its how its modified and used that really counts.
Now all operating systems have a kernel, the kernel is like the roots of a tree and all of its applications and stuff are its branches and trunk.
The trunk in this case is the core OS that relies on the kernel to operate, without the kernel the trunk would just be a lifeless piece of wood.
Now with windows and OSX the whole thing is more or less just one whole tree, but with linux you attach something to the base.
In this case linux is more like the base of a fake (but very cool looking) Christmas tree, where the base of the tree might be similar but the colors of the fake tree itself vary.
For linux its base is made to fit all sizes and shapes of fake Christmas trees, it is flexible enough to fit any kind of fake or even real trees too.
So say you go to the store and say if you celebrate Christmas you go in and see a base of a tree, and this base is called linux, and around this base are all kinds of trees that can fit into it, red ones, blue ones, green ones, even trees that are colored in polka dots.
you get the color tree you want and then you are given the option of choosing what kind of decorations you want, if you like lights you can get lights, if you want balls you can get balls.
Now for convenience sake for this scenario lets make OSX and windows pre fabricated Christmas trees, they already have the base of the tree attached to the tree itself and the tree is decorated beforehand.
Now of course with the OSX and Windows tress you can perhaps add more lights, more Christmas stars and so fourth, but they are not as easy to modify as the linux tree.
With the windows tree you do have the option of changing its colors yes, you can add more decorations yes as there are many lights and stuff made for the windows tree but you often do it at your own risk... put the wrong size balls on it the tree would tip over, use the wrong lights and the tree will catch fire as its made out of very flammable material
With the OSX tree, it is very nice looking but the price tag is astonishingly high, plus the base of the OSX tree can only be put on OSX stands and there are not that many decorations available for it as there is for the windows trees.
But the linux tree you can make yourself, sure you have the same issue as you would have with the OSX tree as not many decorations are made for the linux trees.
Lucky for you you can make decorations of your own, you can make your own set of lights, balls and even make the star!
there are other ways to compare linux and other operating systems to everyday objects I can give you too, a more popular way I teach people about Linux is like telling them that its like a car.
Windows is like a Chevy and OSX is more like a Ford, but Linux is that little hot rod that your best buddy down the street has made on his own.
use whatever you like, I have to go soon but I can give the comparison for cars later.

IYY
July 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM

That's not how it happened. At first, Richard Stallman and the GNU guys have developed all the core utilities needed for a Unix-like OS, and licensed them under the GNU Public License (GPL), meaning that anyone could modify and redistribute the code as long as the modifications were also licensed under the GPL. Their goal was to create an entirely free operating system.

The GNU system worked with different UNIX kernels that were available at the time, so it was perfectly usable, but it wasn't 100% free and open source. Then Linus developed his Linux kernel and has licensed it under the GPL, completing the GNU system.

That's why the proper name for the OS you are using is not 'Linux', which is only a kernel, but 'GNU/Linux'.