PDA

View Full Version : GP2x or Openmoko(NEO1973). So many cool linux devices

tehkain
July 11th, 2007, 08:22 AM
I guess it is a great thing when you actually have choices in the open market.

So I just made 250US on a software bounty and I am looking for a new device to play around on. So should I go with the gp2x or the NEO1973(open moko)? I am looking for a platform that is both currently useful and allows for some development. So which device would you rather use and hack on? I figure since the neo already comes with a USB and an SD card both the gp2x and Neo are on the same price point. I am willing to develop for both platforms.. I am in a dead lock. Also the phone part of the NEO does not interest me. Which would you choose?

Do you have any other devices to suggest in the 200-300US market? It generally does not need to be a handheld, but I would like it to be atleast partially open.

Old Pink
July 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I'd say go with the Neo1973. Why not wait a while until Phase 2 with WiFi? That'll have alot more potential...

I've not seen much of the GP2X though, whereas I've been following the Neo1973 (http://www.mbhoy.com/11-07-2007/fic-neo1973-phase-one). :)

maniacmusician
July 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
The Nokia N800 is pretty cool, but seems to be a little outside your budget

%hMa@?b<C
July 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM
i would get a wii. But out of those two, I would go with the openmoko

Stealth
July 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I woulda bought an OpenMoko if it had Wifi.

But since you're not interested in the phone part of the openMoko (which is what its mainly aimed at, an open phone) then definitely go for the GP2X (if you want to play games/media) or if you're more web centric get the 770/800 (Gizmo/Skype, IM, E-mail, Web browsing). It really depends on what you want, but what it seems you don't'want is an Openmoko. :)

tehkain
July 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Well I got some more cash from a job this week and now I am the proud owner of a Samsung q1 Ultra. Now to find out about the progress in Ubuntu Mobile/Embedded