PDA

View Full Version : Missing core dump with Python 2.5 and Feisty

abierbaum
July 10th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I recently switched over to Ubuntu from Fedora and everything has been going very well except for a few small development related issues where I haven't quite found the Ubuntu way yet. The current issue that is causing me problems is that I can't seem to get a core dump from a python extension model that I am currently debugging.

When I run python, it loads the extension module successfully, and then somewhere internal to the code there is a seg fault. I am 99% sure the seg fault is caused by some of my code in the extension module so now I would like to debug the problem. The application exits with "Segmentation fault (core dumped)". My core size limit is set to "unlimited" so I would expect a "core" file in the local directory where I executed the command. Unfortunately no core file is showing up.

To verify that I can create core files, I created a simple C++ application that seg faults and that works as expected. It seems that there is something about python that is keeping this from working. I know it works with Fedora because I have used core dumps to debug this module many times in the past.

Is there something I am missing about how either python or Ubuntu is working that may be preventing the system from writing the core file?

Additional details:
- python 2.5.1 (r251:54863)
- Ubuntu 7.04
- kernel 2.6.20-16-generic SMP
- shell: tcsh
- limits: all limits set to unlimited
- g++ 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)

Thanks,
Allen

Mr. C.
July 11th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Perhaps python is changing its working directory while loading the module. Search your system with

find / -name core"*" -ls

MrC

abierbaum
July 11th, 2007, 05:43 AM
Perhaps python is changing its working directory while loading the module. Search your system with

find / -name core"*" -ls

MrC

No such luck. I tried this when I first had the problem and the only core files on the system are in the linux-headers, the /dev directory, and one header in boost. :(

Any other ideas?

-Allen

Mr. C.
July 11th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Try starting python with the debugger.

gdb /path/to/python

and then running :

run

and see where it crashes.

MrC

abierbaum
July 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Try starting python with the debugger.

gdb /path/to/python

and then running :

run

and see where it crashes.

MrC

Thanks for the additional idea.

This doesn't give me any problems. But it doesn't provide a good solution because what I really want to track down is "random" crashes in a production application. In other words running it in a debugger all the time isn't a great option. I want a way to analyze a crash after the fact.

For now I will just use the debugger, but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

-Allen

Mr. C.
July 13th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I see.

Try changing the core directory, as discussed here:

http://aplawrence.com/Linux/limit_core_files.html

The typical ways of preventing core are via ulimit, an unwritable core file, or a core directory. If you're sure the later are not the problem, i'm out of answers.

MrC

abierbaum
July 17th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I tracked down the problem. Based on Mr C's last response I looked at /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern and found:

cat /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
|/usr/share/apport/apport

It seems that the apport package was causing problems. As soon as I removed the apport package, things are working as I would expect.

Thanks for all the help.

-Allen

Mr. C.
July 17th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Ah! I had not heard of this software. Thanks for the update.

MrC

kazik
July 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Indeed, this is a "feature" of Apport (automated crash reporting). Read more about this "patch" at:

Crash interception (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport#head-07a01cd17513789f2389e89c33413100789448ef)