PDA

View Full Version : Freecom DVB TV TUNER

jgrabham
July 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Anyone have one? Is it worth trying to make it work in Ubuntu? How do I make it work in Ubuntu?

MonkeyBoy
July 10th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I have a very similar card called an Avermedia DVB-T tuner. The problem with this, and with that Freecom one too, is that they rely on their Windows program to install the firmware onto the device. With a windows box this means that you install the program then the device gets its firmware which stays in the device until you unplug it. When you plug it back in it reinstalls the firmware and works again.

With linux you have the problem that you generally have to find a different method of getting the firmware into the device. This is a bit complicated and I never did it but relied on my windows partition and didn't unplug the device ever.

Kaffeine could use the Avermedia device and will scan for channels etc but could never find as many as the windows program.

Previously I had an internal TV Express card which was analogue but worked very nicely with tvtime.

I reckon you should look into cheap internal cards that don't use this lame firmware system.

rogerp1
July 22nd, 2007, 12:45 AM
Got one a couple of days ago.

Took me 3 mins to get it working in xp and about 3 hours to get it working in feisty.

Cant fault it!