PDA

View Full Version : 2.6.22 kernel

Gremlinzzz
July 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Doesn't seem like ubuntu upgrades kernels without complete system change.Question is how hard is it to upgrade the kernel myself.2.6.22 kernel sounds pretty good.
http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3687741
:guitar:

Gremlinzzz
July 10th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Ok found the kernel at
http://distrowatch.com/
Latest Packages
anyone know how or point the way for info installation

Rui Pais
July 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM
yep,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=311158

:)

Gremlinzzz
July 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks going to give it a try.

Tomosaur
July 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
While it's always good to know how to change the kernel yourself, I would advise you to think before you commit to it, since if it goes wrong, it can be a pain in the backside to get things working again (which is why most kernel guides will advise you to make backups and stuff). The way I see it, if your current kernel is doing the job, then there's no point risking the headaches a failed experiment could give.

However, it's entirely up to you :P

Rui Pais
July 10th, 2007, 07:42 PM
While it's always good to know how to change the kernel yourself, I would advise you to think before you commit to it, since if it goes wrong, it can be a pain in the backside to get things working again (which is why most kernel guides will advise you to make backups and stuff). The way I see it, if your current kernel is doing the job, then there's no point risking the headaches a failed experiment could give.

However, it's entirely up to you :P

kernels are installed side by side on /boot and /lib. They won't mix.

If something goes wrong (and if it wont whats the fun ;)), it's just a matter of reboot and choose the default Ubuntu kernel again
:)

Gremlinzzz
July 11th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Yeah i messed up some how did a complete reinstall was no big deal since it was a new install anyways but ya dont know what ya can do unless you try.guess i'll wait for new ubuntu system.

Rui Pais
July 11th, 2007, 08:51 AM
How do you managed to messed the system? booting with the default kernel didn't work?

I should have advise you to use xconfig or gconfig cause they make life much more easy specially if one has no experience with it.

Or maybe you forget step 8 of the how-to and end-up with a minimum kernel, with no modules or something like that...

Gremlinzzz
July 11th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Your right when step 8 came up with all the questions .i did what i did a the DMV started guessing .then realizing that i problily screwed up i quit.so the system was still good with old kernel i just decided to reformat . i"m going to give it another try .

Gremlinzzz
July 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM
AH HA SUCCESS now for the reboot BRB

Rui Pais
July 20th, 2007, 09:44 PM
AH HA SUCCESS now for the reboot BRB

So you don't give up :)
Good!!
Tell us how it go. Good luck.

HermanAB
July 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM
BTW, if you went to a lot of trouble to set your system up and you want to experiment without shedding tears, use VMware Server and experiment in a virtual machine.

Cheers,

Herman

Gremlinzzz
July 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM
OK no more kernel building for me back to the noobe farm.:(