PDA

View Full Version : HOWTO: Lexmark Printers

Pages : [1] 2 3

black hole sun
July 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Hello everyone. This is a ubuntu-adopted version of the gentoo howto (which I originally wrote) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

Printers that this howto covers (there are many, many others, but these are the printers that have been confirmed to work so far (also note that Dell's printers are merely rebranded Lexmarks):

Lexmark 5700 (black & white only)
Lexmark X1100
Lexmark X1110
Lexmark X1130
Lexmark X1140
Lexmark X1150
Lexmark X1180
Lexmark X1185
Lexmark Z513
Lexmark Z515
Lexmark Z715
Lexmark Z55
Lexmark Z615
Lexmark Z705
Lexmark Z605
Lexmark Z600
Lexmark Z25
Dell A920
Z65 (z65 driver)
Lexmark Z33 (z35 driver)
Lexmark Z33 (z35 driver)With that said, let's get to it! :D

The driver we'll be using is the z600 one, which can be found here (http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:389:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=1151). Even if your printer isn't a z600 this driver works with a LOT of Lexmark's, so try this driver first.

Download the driver, save it to a desktop folder such as `lexmark` (I say _folder_ because extracting the driver is a messy process!).

Obviously, exclude the comments to the right of the hash (#) marks, I include them only to explain the commands.

$ mkdir lexmark
$ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended.
$ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
$ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
$ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
$ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
$ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to tgz.
$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
$ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
$ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
$ cd /usr/share/cups/model
$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped

The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon:
/etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restartCheck whether the printer backend works;
$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
$ ./z600The output of the above command should be _similar_ to this:
direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series" "Lexmark Printer"
If you get no output, mount the usb filesystem.

Add this to your /etc/fstab file:

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0

Then just type: sudo mount usbfs. That should fix it.

Now simply set up your printer through the System->Administration->Printing in gnome. Make sure you select the z600 driver, and you're golden.

For KDE users...well, you'll have to use whatever printer dialogue that KDE provides.

There you have it! If you need any help, post to this thread.

michellembrodeur
July 27th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Hello everyone. This is a ubuntu-adopted version of the gentoo howto (which I originally wrote) http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

Printers that this howto covers (there are many, many others, but these are the printers that have been confirmed to work so far (also note that Dell's printers are merely rebranded Lexmarks):

With that said, let's get to it! :D

The driver we'll be using is the z600 one, which can be found here (http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:389:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=1151). Even if your printer isn't a z600 this driver works with a LOT of Lexmark's, so try this driver first.

Download the driver, save it to a desktop folder such as `lexmark` (I say _folder_ because extracting the driver is a messy process!).

Obviously, exclude the comments to the right of the hash (#) marks, I include them only to explain the commands.

$ mkdir lexmark
$ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark # move the package to a folder. optional, but recommended.
$ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems. use `tail` to extract the binary portion of the script.
$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
$ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place
$ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries
$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped

$ ./z600The output of the above command should be _similar_ to this:If you get no output at all, you have problems.

Now simply set up your printer through the System->Administration->Printing in gnome. Make sure you select the z600 driver, and you're golden.

For KDE users...well, you'll have to use whatever printer dialogue that KDE provides.

Thanks for trying though

I have a z35 and it didn't work. It initialized and move the paper but that was it.

also the last line

couldn't do because there was no .gz at the end
but z600 showed up in the folder where it was supposed to be
and the test came out ok with
"direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer""

but no luck on my end.

thanks anyway.

black hole sun
July 29th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Thanks for trying though

I have a z35 and it didn't work. It initialized and move the paper but that was it.

also the last line

couldn't do because there was no .gz at the end
but z600 showed up in the folder where it was supposed to be
and the test came out ok with
"direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer""

but no luck on my end.

thanks anyway.
Did you try the z600 or z35 driver? Your printer should be able to work!

newage
July 29th, 2005, 12:36 PM
thanks dude!! i have lexmark z615 and it really helped me!!! thanks a lot again :)

Spudgun
July 30th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Hmm, I can't select another driver to use in the Gnome printer tool, anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance.

black hole sun
July 30th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Hmm, I can't select another driver to use in the Gnome printer tool, anyone know why this is?

Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by "another driver"? You mean the lexmark one?

Have you re-started CUPS?

michellembrodeur
July 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I found this for the z35 somewhere else on these forums.

it work no problem for a Z35

OK, this will take some skill on your part, but it can be done.

First, log in as root and download the drivers from

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:337:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=1242

Make a directory and put the Lexmark driver in it... Let's assume we named it LEX, and that folder is sitting in /root OK? (in all of the commands, you do not type the # key, this is just to signify the prompt)

OK, so we have moved the driver into the folder now, and we will go into the folder by opening a command prompt and typing:

# cd /root/LEX

We will now extract the archive by typing the following command:

# tar -xzvf CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ

This now leaves us with a shell script rpm installer called lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0-1.gz.sh... not very useful to a Debian distribution like Xandros, so now comes the fun part...We will make another directory now, and extract the files into it...

# mkdir lextemp

# tail -n +143 lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0-1.gz.sh | gzip -cd | tar xvf - -C lextemp

Now we will enter the lextemp directory and convert the rpm files, since Xandros should not use rpms unless absolutely necessary.

# cd lextemp

# alien -t *.rpm

Next, we will use the tar command to extract the files to their proper place.

# tar -zxf lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0.tgz -C /

# tar -zxf z35llpddk-2.0.tgz -C /

Now for some editing... type the following commands in the order shown below..

# cd /usr/local/z35llpddk/utility

# ln -s auckUS.lut bnsi1.lut

# cd /usr/lib

# ln -s liblexz35core.so.0.0.0 liblexz35core.so.0

# ln -s liblexz35printer.so.0.0.0 liblexz35printer.so.0

# ln -s liblexz35printjob.so.0.0.0 liblexz35printjob.so.0

Now to test and see if the driver is working...

# /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35

Output should not error out, and give an output similar to this...

direct z35:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer"

OK, if all is well, we allign the print heads by typing;

# /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35 utilities

Now that the heads are aligned, we can select the printer in the control center by following Launch > Control Center. Once in there in the Periphrial devices section there chould be a setting called printers... highlight printers and then go to add >local printer > Lexmark inkjet color printer and now under the model number one should see an entry for Z35 v 2.0-1... Select that, and then do your test page... Congrats, You're finished!

Hopefully Xandros will eventually make a Debian installer for this driver, but until then this works pretty well... Best of Luck, and hope this helps..

the howto worked really find under hoary.
only problem i have is that i am able to print the testpages with the utility software, but when i add the printer via cups to use it with other applications nothing will happen.

perhaps someone can help me
---------------------------------------

Do not thank me. someone else came up with it.

Something to remember, you need both b&W and colour catridages. I have only colour and it will not print black. But windows can use the colour to make black, but not linux. someday hope that willb e fixed.

jerrybme
August 2nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
@black hole sun

Your How-to worked fine for me, I get the following output at your last step:

jerry@Tuxbox:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark 510 Series" "Lexmark Printer"
jerry@Tuxbox:/usr/lib/cups/backend$
I use the gnome utility to configure the printer & chose the Z600 driver but when I send a test page to my Lexmark Z515, nothing happens ](*,)

The gnome utility doesn't show any pending jobs. I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions? Also don't think it'd make a difference but I'm running the 64 bit Hoary version

black hole sun
August 3rd, 2005, 06:54 PM
@black hole sun

Your How-to worked fine for me, I get the following output at your last step:

jerry@Tuxbox:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark 510 Series" "Lexmark Printer"
jerry@Tuxbox:/usr/lib/cups/backend$
I use the gnome utility to configure the printer & chose the Z600 driver but when I send a test page to my Lexmark Z515, nothing happens ](*,)

The gnome utility doesn't show any pending jobs. I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions? Also don't think it'd make a difference but I'm running the 64 bit Hoary version
:(

I have no idea why it's not working for you. It might be due to your 64 bit environment but i doubt that...

When you typed in the printer location did you put in /dev/usb/lp0? I am not in gnome at the moment and i cant quite remember what i did to get my printer working but i remember having to manually enter a /dev/ location for my printer; perhaps you didnt do that?

Also make sure you have ghostscript installed (search for in synaptic)

jerrybme
August 12th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Well, it turned out to be a 64 bit library linkage problem. I created a 32 bit chroot and the printer driver works fine. I'll puzzle it out at a later time. Now I don't have to boot into windows to print \\:D/

az
August 13th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Would someone with one of these printers *please* ask on the developmental list for these drivers to be packaged for Ubuntu?

Answer back here, if or when you have already done so.....

Thanks!

(Yes, I mean YOU!)

Spudgun
August 13th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Will do, but could you provide a link to where I ask?

derrick1985
August 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Both howto's didn't work for me.

The Z600 one tries to print, the paper comes through a little bit, then stalls.

Too bad, I really need to get this printer working!

az
August 13th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Will do, but could you provide a link to where I ask?

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29

If you cannot start a new thread there, you will need to sign up and do it by emal here:

http://lists.ubuntulinux.org/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel

Thanks!

az
August 13th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Spudgun, I added some detail to your post on the devel mailing list, since there are already some Lexmark printers that work out-of-the-box, I clarified your question.

Please keep an eye on that thread so that you can give pertinent information about getting the thing to work in Ubuntu, if asked.

Thanks!

freelsjd
August 13th, 2005, 10:05 PM
I cannot say this in a nice way. I bought a Lexmark printer (z23) because it was listed as linux compatible from the old elinux web site. Worst mistake I ever made. This printer and Chyrsler motor vehicles go hand-in-hand as poor excuses for what they are supposed to be: printers and cars respectively. I am now the proud owner of n HP-6210 all-in-1 and GM vehicles and all working great with Linux.

Forget Lexmark until they either really do support Linux or open source their drivers.

derrick1985
August 16th, 2005, 02:49 PM
THANK YOU!

I did the same steps as in post 1, except using the z35 driver (I have a z25 printer) and it works great now!

I also had to use the command sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart to get it to show up in the printing manager.

Thanks again!

transactionlogfiller
August 20th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks for this howto! It's one of the smoothest I've used from this site.

My comments below seem a bit pedantic but I just thought, keeping it simple enough for everyone, in-keeping with the style of this site, maybe add some points to the howto?

I had to sudo apt-get install alien first.

When I run alien I get a warning about ownership of files, because you didn't tell me to run it as root, so I went back and did "sudo alien"

That said, it's probably still the howto where the output I got differed least from what I was expecting, if you see what I mean. Which might be partly because I'm using breezy.

Spudgun
August 20th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Excellent, it works :D
My is Lexmark X1180 is working great now, although it is printing a little on the slow side. Anyone know how to speed things up?

ben72
August 30th, 2005, 12:20 AM

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:337:0:0&emeaframe=&fileID=1242

Make a directory and put the Lexmark driver in it... Let's assume we named it LEX, and that folder is sitting in /root OK? (in all of the commands, you do not type the # key, this is just to signify the prompt)

OK, so we have moved the driver into the folder now, and we will go into the folder by opening a command prompt and typing:

# cd /root/LEX

This now leaves us with a shell script rpm installer called lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0-1.gz.sh... not very useful to a Debian distribution like Xandros, so now comes the fun part...We will make another directory now, and extract the files into it...

# mkdir lextemp

Now we will enter the lextemp directory and convert the rpm files, since Xandros should not use rpms unless absolutely necessary.

# cd lextemp

# alien -t *.rpm

# cd /usr/lib

Now that the heads are aligned, we can select the printer in the control center by following Launch > Control Center. Once in there in the Periphrial devices section there chould be a setting called printers... highlight printers and then go to add >local printer > Lexmark inkjet color printer and now under the model number one should see an entry for Z35 v 2.0-1... Select that, and then do your test page... Congrats, You're finished!

Hopefully Xandros will eventually make a Debian installer for this driver, but until then this works pretty well... Best of Luck, and hope this helps..

only problem i have is that i am able to print the testpages with the utility software, but when i add the printer via cups to use it with other applications nothing will happen.

Something to remember, you need both b&W and colour catridages. I have only colour and it will not print black. But windows can use the colour to make black, but not linux. someday hope that willb e fixed.
I have a Lexmark Z33 so I tried the Z35 driver and everything worked fine until the last instruction:

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35 utilities
ERROR: Unable to open printer port "/usr/lib/cups/backend/z35": Text file busy

How can I fix that? Any suggestions?

ben72
August 30th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I have a Lexmark Z33 so I tried the Z35 driver and everything worked fine until the last instruction:

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35

$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35 utilities
ERROR: Unable to open printer port "/usr/lib/cups/backend/z35": Text file busy

How can I fix that? Any suggestions?

thebilko
August 31st, 2005, 09:02 PM
I have the x1185 and when I get to the first command that begins with sudo i get an error that says that it cannot find argument --C or somthing like that please help feel free to email me or im me at s2k Bilko

Pablo El Vagabundo
September 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM
This is a great howto..Everything goes great for me until I get to the Add Printer part.

I cannot find the newly installed driver, I have restarted cups a few times and gnome, if i user the have driver button i get told it is already installed.

Is it under the manufactor lexmark?? what is it called in the list. I have checked them all and none are z600 or anything like that..

any hints??

Pablo

roger6106
September 4th, 2005, 02:19 AM
/etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart

I had to do that with sudo for it to work.

Pablo El Vagabundo
September 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM
I gave it a reboot and i could now see the driver..

I setup the printer.

Now when i try and print a test page it sucks in the the paper and then the second light is on and it moves the heads, its like it is in slow motion. but nothing really happens.

these printers are crap methinks.
Pablo

Pablo El Vagabundo
September 4th, 2005, 05:43 PM
okay after my previous ranting I decided to try again.

Yeeeeeaaaaaaa!!

I tried the instructions above and can verify that it works like a charm for the Z25 if you use the z35 driver and z35 cups 1.01 driver, here are the links:

http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ35LE-1.0-1.tar.gz

http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ35LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz

One other hint, as mentioned two post above, when restarting cups uses sudo, otherwise nothing happens:):)..

Thanks!!

Pablo

eveisdawning
September 17th, 2005, 06:37 AM
It worked great for a Lexmark z515. Thanks!

Someone should put this in the wiki...

LGP
September 17th, 2005, 05:09 PM

$ mkdir lexmark

I have a Lexmark Z715 and when i try doing this get error messages when i put in the commands. I downloaded the file with the drivers and saved them to a folder named Lexmark on my desktop.

:~ $ mkdir lexmark
mkdir: cannot create directory `lexmark': File exists
:~ $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark
mv: cannot stat `CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz': No such file or directory

If you could help me i would greatly appreciate it.

fortytwo
September 18th, 2005, 10:50 PM
I've got a Z55 and unfortunately had no luck. The instructions all went fine and the output looked right, and I can select the z600 driver from the KDE printer selection menu, but when I try to print, the job comes up in the manager and then goes away a little later...all the while my printer has done absolutely nothing. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just noticed my printer isn't even on the supported list. damn :/
DOUBLE EDIT: Well, I guess my original question *does* stand, as a z55 is in fact on the list.

So..anyone had any luck?

mjpieters
September 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
There are a few possible simplifications to the HOWTO. First of all, the unpacking can be a little less elaborate. The following commands install the packages just fine; ignore the various errors

$ mkdir lexmark
$ # Run the script and *keep* the installer dir (ingnore the errors):
$ sh z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh -keep
$ cd installer/
$ # Install using alien
$ sudo alien -i z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
$ sudo alien -i z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm

After these steps you can use the driver to install the printer in CUPS as described in the HOWTO. No need to lddconfig, no need to unzip the ppd (CUPS can read the PPD zipped).

Unfortunately for me, I still cannot print as it appears the driver cannot deal with the raster format generated by newer gs-esp versions (gs-esp is the CUPS-specific gs). See http://www.cups.org/espgs/str.php?L691+P0+S0+C0+I30+E1+Q. The driver dates from Aug. 2003 and the CUPS version I use (Debian Unstable gs-esp 8+8.15rc4.dfsg.1-2) is far newer. The error message from rastertoz600 is 'Cannot Process Raster'.

mjpieters
September 25th, 2005, 05:29 PM
I solved the problem. If you get a 'Cannot Process Raster' errors, the Z600 raster filter cannot read the required datafiles. When converting the RPMs and installing the resulting tarball or deb package, certain directories end up being readable only to root.

To check if this is the problem, try and look at the /usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/ directory (with ls or with your favourite file manager). If you get a permission denied error, chances are the conversion filter cannot read it either.

The following two commands will fix this for you. Run these as root (sudo or log in as root) to fix this, and another directory likely to have the wrong permissions:

chmod -R +rX /usr/local/z600llpddk/
chmod -R +rX /usr/include/lexmark/
These changes made the printer work for me.

yesidh
September 30th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Hello, thanks a lot fot the HOWTO, I got a problem, I do everything you say and It worked, but then when I try to open de Printing systems in Gnome I give a error that say: The CUPS server cannot be connected. I'll apreciete it if you can help me,

StianH
October 2nd, 2005, 10:01 PM
I can confirm that the printer works for my Lexmark Z708 as well! Should be added to the list so if poeple search for the specific model on google, they can find it (as I did) :)

magomago
October 3rd, 2005, 01:04 AM
does anyone know if it works for the lexmark Z11 printer? Its an older printer (which hopefully means support) with paralell port plug, but I'm not in a current position to test it out. Thanks!

phlawed
October 9th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Worked like a charm on my new lexmark z515 series. I just got it at wal-mart for $25 if anyone wants 4800dpi printer for linux cheap. Thank you agian.

yesidh
October 14th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I want to report a Lexmark X1155 printer working out of the box, I would like to know how can I get the scanner working, any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Sale
October 15th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I've had lexmark z605 printer installed on ubuntu 5.04, according to the how-to at the beginning of this thread. I can't install the same printer on Ubuntu 5.10. When i come to the "alien -t....@ line of the how to, the bash reports that there is no such command.

Is there a solution to this?

TIA

Sale

uselessinfo
October 18th, 2005, 06:56 AM
I have a Lexmark Z715 and when i try doing this get error messages when i put in the commands. I downloaded the file with the drivers and saved them to a folder named Lexmark on my desktop.

:~ $ mkdir lexmark
:~ $ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark

If you could help me i would greatly appreciate it.

I've got a Lexmark Z515, and I'm having the same problem. I would also appreciate any help.

Rouge8
October 22nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
I've got a Lexmark Z515, and I'm having the same problem. I would also appreciate any help.
You can skip that step, as all that does is move the files into the folder called lexmark (well, it also creates that folder.).

I have a Lexmark Z715, and after falling these instructions and the ones in this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=62353&highlight=z715) thread.

strawman
October 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM
printing an Ubuntu test page on my Lexmark z515 as i type this. Excellent howto!
thanks you. :)

arunsub
October 25th, 2005, 08:08 PM
I'm using Breezy now. I bought a Dell All-in-one 962 photo printer 2 weeks back. I found out by googling that Dell 962 is Lexmark X7170.
I got the driver for Lexmark X7170 from this link.
http://www.lexmark.com/US/products/i...7170_rev2.html

I ran alien filename as normal user (not as root). I then got the deb file. I then issued
$sudo dpkg -i x7170llpddk_2.0-5_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 95758 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace x7170llpddk 2.0-5 (using x7170llpddk_2.0-5_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement x7170llpddk ...
Setting up x7170llpddk (2.0-5) ...
$

I then rebooted the system. When I went to add printer, I didn't see the driver under either Dell or Lexmark. I would appreciate if someone can help me.

h3avyarms
October 26th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I tried this methog and it did not work for me. I have a x1150 That I have never been able to get to work in linux. Here is what happens...

h3avyarms@ubuntu:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
./z600: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Everything works fine untill that step. I'm trying this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 5.10 and the printer works fine under windows. If I ignore this and continue with the instructions it will say it is printing the test page but nothing happens, I really need some help here. TIA

h3avyarms
October 26th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Nevermind, If you change the margins it will work. Still no test page though.

yaaarrrgg
October 30th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I tried this methog and it did not work for me. I have a x1150 That I have never been able to get to work in linux. Here is what happens...

h3avyarms@ubuntu:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
./z600: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Everything works fine untill that step. I'm trying this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 5.10 and the printer works fine under windows. If I ignore this and continue with the instructions it will say it is printing the test page but nothing happens, I really need some help here. TIA

yeah...i got that too with breazy. you can go to

System ->Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager

search for libstdc, and install version 5.

thestarslookdown
November 1st, 2005, 08:35 AM
This works fine on my z700, but 1) It won't print with a one inch margin on the left side even if (as in OO.o) there is one; and 2) printing something from gvim is somewhat fine, but a bit of text is moved forward or backward (and it suffers from #1 too).

EDIT: Using OO.o 2.0 now prints out the left and right margins but the top margin now isn't there.

SunshineSmile
November 1st, 2005, 12:42 PM
$ mkdir lexmark

HELP!!! I have Lexmark Z601, but can't get your procedure right!!

I figured I had to install alien, and I figured out how to move to the lexmark folder with the cd command.

but then, in the next step, sudo tar xv..etc.. following happens:

eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C
tar: option requires an argument -- C
Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$

What??

I type c (not capital):
eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -c
tar: Du kan ikke angi mer enn ett av «-Acdtrux»-flaggene #(you can't specify more than one of the Acdtrux flags- translated from norwegian.)

Could you help me through the basic steps?

Rouge8
November 1st, 2005, 10:32 PM
HELP!!! I have Lexmark Z601, but can't get your procedure right!!

I figured I had to install alien, and I figured out how to move to the lexmark folder with the cd command.

but then, in the next step, sudo tar xv..etc.. following happens:

eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C
tar: option requires an argument -- C

What??

I type c (not capital):
eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -c
tar: Du kan ikke angi mer enn ett av «-Acdtrux»-flaggene #(you can't specify more than one of the Acdtrux flags- translated from norwegian.)

Could you help me through the basic steps?

sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C /

The trailing slash there is important, as -C refers to the corresponding directories.

SunshineSmile
November 2nd, 2005, 11:39 AM
eine@eine:~/Desktop/Lexmark$ cd /usr/share/cups/model
eine@eine:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
eine@eine:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
gunzip: Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz: No such file or directory
eine@eine:/usr/share/cups/model$ /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd start-stop-daemon: Unable to open pidfile `/var/run/cups/cupsd.pid' for writing: Permission denied (Permission denied)
[ ok ]
eine@eine:/usr/share/cups/model$

I made the bold typing. Next step?

If somebody has time enough to explain the next few steps with backports and stuff, so I can get my z601 up and running, I would be delighted. Was a bit more difficult than just cut and paste. Understanding where to be, where to put in the commands, where the stuff is installed, etc. is a bit more than I have been doing with my windows... :D

Nubuntuzr
November 2nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
Finally!!
Thanks so much...Not sure if I was doing something wrong with other ways I was trying that I found via Google.....but kept getting one error or another until I tried these instructions and Bingo....my z515 prints.
Thanks again.

SunshineSmile
November 3rd, 2005, 01:58 PM
I reinstalled ubuntu to remove my windows partition and wanted to see if I could get this lexmark installing thingy working when starting with clean sheets..

What do you make of this? So close but so far.....

eine(username)@chello212186066182(my hostname):/usr/share/cups/model$ /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd start-stop-daemon: Unable to open pidfile `/var/run/cups/cupsd.pid' for writing: Permission denied (Permission denied)
[ ok ]
eine@chello212186066182:/usr/share/cups/model$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
eine@chello212186066182:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
eine@chello212186066182:/usr/lib/cups/backend$

vinil
November 4th, 2005, 08:40 AM
thank man¡¡¡ it has very useful for me.... i have a dell a920 , and it works great..:D

arunsub
November 8th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Does anyone have any solution to my Lexmar X7170 problem? I would appreciate if someone can help me install the driver.

dinap1
November 10th, 2005, 10:58 AM
What about the scanner feature of Lexmark X1180 ?

Has anyone managed to solve this problem?

manicka
November 10th, 2005, 11:05 AM
What about the scanner feature of Lexmark X1180 ?

Has anyone managed to solve this problem?

Lexmark support is poor in Linux. This problem hasn't been solved because Lexmark won't help out with the drivers.

It drives me batty. I'm not sure we'll ever see a satisfactory outcome with Lexmark

SunshineSmile
November 11th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I can't tell you how much I have been trying to get my z601 work. I can get all the way to the very last step, but I get no output. Oh, I had to type sudo before the alien command. Without superuser do, it says something about not running from root and how the files may be focked. :

K, have a look at my commands, and tell me what you think could be the reason why my z 601 wont print.

Even without the last step displaying the wanted output, the printer setup under "system" recognised the driver and printer. It just wont print. Bummer. :( And I need to use it now..

myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ cd ..
myname@hostname:~/Desktop$ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark
myname@hostname:~/Desktop$ cd lexmark
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz
COPYING
README
z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz
globals.tcl
install
lexinstall
lexinstall.tcl
license
setup.tcl
testpage
usb.tcl
xlexinstall
xlexinstall.tcl
z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ sudo alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
Password:
z600cups-1.0.tgz generated
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ sudo alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
z600llpddk-2.0.tgz generated
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C /
./
./usr/
./usr/include/
./usr/include/lexmark/
./usr/include/lexmark/alignmentdata.h
./usr/include/lexmark/cartridgemanager.h
./usr/include/lexmark/cartridgeuserinterface.h
./usr/include/lexmark/cleaningdata.h
./usr/include/lexmark/clock.h
./usr/include/lexmark/errorcommunicator.h
./usr/include/lexmark/linuxinkjetprinter.h
./usr/include/lexmark/mediamanager.h
./usr/include/lexmark/portmonitor.h
./usr/include/lexmark/printerdevice.h
./usr/include/lexmark/printjobmanager.h
./usr/lib/
./usr/lib/liblexprinter.a
./usr/lib/liblexprinter.la
./usr/lib/liblexprinter.so.0.0.0
./usr/lib/liblexprintjob.a
./usr/lib/liblexprintjob.la
./usr/lib/liblexprintjob.so.0.0.0
./usr/lib/liblexz600core.a
./usr/lib/liblexz600core.la
./usr/lib/liblexz600core.so.0.0.0
./usr/local/
./usr/local/z600llpddk/
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/bnsi1.lut
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/bnsi2.lut
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/bnsi3.lut
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/lxbcalgn.out
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/lxbccln.out
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C /
./
./usr/
./usr/lib/
./usr/lib/cups/
./usr/lib/cups/backend/
./usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
./usr/lib/cups/filter/
./usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz600
./usr/share/
./usr/share/cups/
./usr/share/cups/model/
./usr/share/cups/model/Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ sudo ldconfig
myname@hostname:~/Desktop/lexmark$ cd /usr/share/cups/model
myname@hostname:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
gunzip: Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? y
myname@hostname:/usr/share/cups/model$ /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
[ ok ]
myname@hostname:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
* Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd [ ok ]
myname@hostname:/usr/share/cups/model$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
myname@hostname:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600

What THE HELL does that mean????? HELP, please...:(

manicka
November 11th, 2005, 11:37 PM
You need to install libstdc++5

franohern
November 15th, 2005, 10:32 PM
If you get no output at all, you have problems.

What knid of problems? Did I do something wrong? Is there anything I can do?

I have a dell a940 that I tried this on. I was able to get through everything in your how-to, but got no response on the last step. I was able to set up a new printer with that driver, the system sees my a940, but nothing happens when I try to print a test page.

Now, it may be that it won't work with an a940, but if I got no output from that last step, then I can't be sure whether I've done everything right and whether this is a no go for my printer.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you can give me.

Thanks,
Fran

jimmyj
November 16th, 2005, 03:09 AM
I followed the directions, but when I try to run ./z600 nothing happens. Where should I start looking for problems?

TmP
November 16th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Hi!
Everything works fine untill i try to run the administration > printing

I receive a prompt saying that i cant connect to cups,
Or when I'm on the internet, it simply doesn't run...

Another person had this problem.
I'm using Breezy and my printer is z515

Help!

Ubuntist
November 17th, 2005, 01:13 PM
I'm trying to install a Z55 under Breezy. Following the instructions worked fine until I got to testing the backend by executing ./z600. First, I got the error message

./z600: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot op en shared object file: No such file or directory

Following a suggestion from matthewv, I used Synaptic to load libstdc++5, and that solved the problem. Now, however, executing the backend produces no output at all. Any hints on where to go from here?

Ubuntist
November 17th, 2005, 02:03 PM
OOPS!!! I now see that this thread applies to Hoary (5.04) and there is an updated version for BREEZY (5.10): http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83456&highlight=lexmark+printer

jockjunior
December 3rd, 2005, 01:54 PM
Hi,
tried this got as far as the ALIEN command but get error

Bash shell no alien command or something like that

what went wrong. ?

thanks

Jock:confused:

Please ignore I was following the wrong set of instructions (5.10 needed) and didnt see the link to the relevant alterations .

thanks

Jock

Rouge8
December 3rd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Try:

sudo apt-get install alien

jockjunior
December 3rd, 2005, 06:02 PM
Yes thanks that did it.

duh.........

jock

plug
December 10th, 2005, 11:58 PM
hi every one i am new to linux.

could anyone please help i have no printer it show it in the printer set up thing see told you i was new lol.
and i have set it for usb lexmark z517 it gives me sugested driver,but not a thing happends when i do a test page.
if anyone could help me with this it would be great.
please dont forget i am a noob at linux ubuntu so please make it in easy turms for me to understand.

Ub(untu)erNewb
December 14th, 2005, 10:57 PM

# cd /root/LEX

# mkdir lextemp

# cd lextemp

# alien -t *.rpm

# cd /usr/lib

Hi guys, thanks for your work so far, but i still got a problem:

I got a Z35 and i tried everything i quoted so far but every time i want to test it i get this answer:
/usr/lib/cups/backend/z35: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My printer gets the order to print but it simply refuses to work. I do not know why but i help that there is help anywhere out there.

Ub(untu)erNewb
December 14th, 2005, 11:36 PM
Sorry, i just installed libstcd++5 and now everything just works perfectly.

\\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/ \\:D/

Ub(untu)erNewb
December 20th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Hi, sorry to disturb again, but now, after a few days i tried to print a very important paper but the printer simply refused to work. He gets the job to print but he simply spits out the sheet.

I tried: /usr/lib/cups/backend/z35 utilities
and i got this as an answer: ERROR: Unable to open printer port "/usr/lib/cups/backend/z35": Text file busy

Please help me.....i´m simply:confused:

sas171
December 21st, 2005, 02:58 PM
I had to use another USB port to get my z515 work but its awesome.

Is there some app to see how many tint I have and so on?

M4VE
December 25th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Dude! I just got my X1185 working in about 5 minutes using your HOWTO! Much thanks, you ROCK!!!

ivuntu
January 30th, 2006, 10:18 PM
\\:D/ This is probably an old post, but thanks a lot from an ubuntu newbie for the detailed recipe, it worked on my Lexmark p707, where a lot of other drivers and stuff had failed! I might have missed a step or two in other How to's.
Ivuntu

dcriswell
January 31st, 2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the great HOWTO!
Just FYI, the new sane-backend (1.0.17 I think) has support for lexmark x1100 series scanners. I just tested it, using the CVS version, with my x1150 and it works like a charm.

manicka
February 1st, 2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the great HOWTO!
Just FYI, the new sane-backend (1.0.17 I think) has support for lexmark x1100 series scanners. I just tested it, using the CVS version, with my x1150 and it works like a charm.

That is good news, where would i find it?

mips
February 2nd, 2006, 12:35 AM
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/gt68xx-backend/

dcriswell
February 2nd, 2006, 04:26 AM
I'm actually using the lexmark backend. It is supposed to be in the 1.0.17 release from Sane (http://www.sane-project.org/). They have debian packages available from their download page although I haven't tried them. Instructions on how to get the CVS version is there as well. I had to upgrade xsane (http://www.xsane.org) to 0.99.1 in order to scan in gimp. Scanimage worked with just the backend installed.

manicka
February 2nd, 2006, 06:52 AM
I'm actually using the lexmark backend.

Where would I find the Lexmark backend?

arunsub
February 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM
Did anyone find the driver for X7170 model?

johnmxl
February 18th, 2006, 05:37 AM
I followed the HOWTO to the letter and sucessfully added the X1185 attached to one of the WinXP boxes on my home LAN as a network printer for my laptop running Breezy Badger (Ubuntu 5.10). Including a detour to install alien it probably took 20 minutes start to finish.

I found the HOWTO on google, searching on 'ubuntu X1185'.

Thanks, Black Hole Sun!

johnmxl

BrejoSacor
February 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
Great How-to, but maybe it should be mentioned to do this command first:

I realized this and found it in the middle of the post... Maybe add it to the first post, or stick it to the top of the forum...

Anyway, couldn't have done it with out ya, Thanks

funkjunkie
February 27th, 2006, 11:19 PM
i just cant seem to get past this part:

sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / # extract the tgz's to / putting the files in their right place

i tried this too
sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C /usr/share/cups/model
seemed to do the same.

it seems to go thru and say its extracting files to the proper places, but when i go to the next steps and look in that dir, the files just are not to be found.

argh. @$!% dell printer. my hp worked w/o a hitch.

mishranurag
March 12th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Will this work in dapper?

ZephyrXero
March 13th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Dapper user here, with a Lexmark X1185

I just followed the instructions in the first post and when I ran ./z600 it gave me an error saying it could not find stdlibc++5 or something, and then proceeded to make Gnome start acting weird and crash. After a reboot GDM won't even come up now...

Another weird thing is that I can't get sudo access anymore either....I don't know what the hell happened but it's bad (writing this from the recovery mode). I've even tried installing stdlibc+5 and that didn't fix it either.

bertpatt
March 13th, 2006, 08:12 AM
This might be simple, but how do I copy or print the code that's been put in a scrolling box, why can't it be typed in so we can see it all?

emitter
March 14th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Hi!

I've followed the instructions written in Lexmark Z600 printers (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=83456) #1, but when typing ./z600 nothing did appear... That's a problem, isn't it?:-k

in System-admin-printers I see "CUPS printer (IPP)" - under Network printer since my Z602 is on a windoz-machine on the network. Should I choose this IPP, or the Windows SMB? Do you think will that work for me with this driver to print on network?

Thanks
emitter

tagra123
March 15th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I posted a how to for the Z23:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-Z23

tagra123 -- Tom G

emitter
March 15th, 2006, 07:17 PM
#84:

This problem still prevails... If I connect the printer (usb) directly to the laptop, printing goes smoothly. But normally the laptop isn't near the printer, so I would like to use my wlan-network to print through the desktop-pc.
I just don't know what type of network-printer to choose: CUPS (ipp) or Windows SMB? And how should I fill the appropriate fields? (Server, printer, user, pwd)

timbl_ubuntu
March 21st, 2006, 07:18 PM
I have the same problem as ZephyrXero

ubuntu dapper flight 5
lexmark x1130

I got the same error and now when I boot, the xserver craches
sudo doesn't work
(su does work, but then I get complaints about me giving the wrong password for root access...)

any solutions?

emitter
March 23rd, 2006, 11:42 AM
I have the same problem as ZephyrXero

ubuntu dapper flight 5
lexmark x1130

I got the same error and now when I boot, the xserver craches
sudo doesn't work
(su does work, but then I get complaints about me giving the wrong password for root access...)

any solutions?

Unless I'm mistaken you have to enter your user-pw when sudo, or rather the root-pw in case of su

timbl_ubuntu
March 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
off course, tried them both, didn't fix it, recovery mode did work, tried to undo the attempt to install printer

couldn't get it fixed

ZephyrXero
March 23rd, 2006, 07:45 PM
off course, tried them both, didn't fix it, recovery mode did work, tried to undo the attempt to install printer

couldn't get it fixed

Ditto. I just had to end up reinstalling :(

gymsmoke
March 24th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Lexmark X6100 series just doesn't work. The entire install went fine, and the test page is sent, but no soap... I also tried every swinging driver under Lexmark and got the same results... looks like i'll be in the market for a printer...

tico
March 25th, 2006, 05:35 AM
It worked!! My Lexmark z515 it's alive and works!!!!!
Many thanks for your help!!!

Smakfull
March 25th, 2006, 09:52 PM
What knid of problems? Did I do something wrong? Is there anything I can do?

I have a dell a940 that I tried this on. I was able to get through everything in your how-to, but got no response on the last step. I was able to set up a new printer with that driver, the system sees my a940, but nothing happens when I try to print a test page.

Now, it may be that it won't work with an a940, but if I got no output from that last step, then I can't be sure whether I've done everything right and whether this is a no go for my printer.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you can give me.

Thanks,
Fran
Same here and it looks like we're not alone. I think I've read all the support sheats there is on the net. It seems so easy but I JUST can't get it to WORK! ](*,)

The last I found was this: http://www.staerk.de/thorsten/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=43 but no luck there either *cry*

Any ideas?
I love you guys/gals for all your help. I've been stuck with this for two weeks now and it's beginning to get on my nerves :(

That is: no output for the last step. Everything SEEMS to be working, but when my job exits the printing queue, nothing prints.

Smakfull
April 2nd, 2006, 07:53 PM
Well, it turned out to be a 64 bit library linkage problem. I created a 32 bit chroot and the printer driver works fine
Ehr. How? :confused:

edit:
eh nevermind, found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575

ultra.nj
April 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
Same here and it looks like we're not alone. I think I've read all the support sheats there is on the net. It seems so easy but I JUST can't get it to WORK! ](*,)

The last I found was this: http://www.staerk.de/thorsten/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=43 but no luck there either *cry*

Any ideas?
I love you guys/gals for all your help. I've been stuck with this for two weeks now and it's beginning to get on my nerves :(

That is: no output for the last step. Everything SEEMS to be working, but when my job exits the printing queue, nothing prints.

bump.

please help, i get this exact same problem. i've read through all ten pages and found that many people have had this problem but no one has posted any way to fix it. is there any way to fix it, or should we just give up?

but, the printer that i'm using is the dell j740, and i don't know if the z600 is the right printer or not, is there any other way to find out what what lexmark drivers i need to get to use for the dell J740?

Mookawaka
April 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM
I am a newbie who is trying to get his shiny new Ubuntu operating system fully up and running and configured.
Unfortunately the only printer that I have available at this time is a LEXMARK 810. From searching these forums I see that Lexmark does not like to play nice with open source.
I have tried this walkthrough for the z600 driver without any troubles, but when I try to print a page the process stops immediately with the STATUS:

Paused: Both cartridges are invalid. Please use appropriate cartridges.

Interestingly I got a similar warning in *******(TM) but pages would still print correctly. I suspect that this has to do with being in East Berlin and the ink cartridges and Lexmark software somehow not matching up.

Is there any hope for getting around this problem?

black hole sun
April 6th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Everyone -- I'm so sorry I haven't been here for a long time so I haven't been able to help you guys. :(

I figured out your problem -- you need to mount the usb filesystem. Add this line to /etc/fstab

Then type

sudo mount usbfs

Try the backend again and it should work.

black hole sun
April 6th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Okay, I just had to reinstall because of the lexmark driver :|

I have no idea why it is doing that... apparently it causes GDM to just _DIE_.

If anyone is running Dapper - DO NOT USE THIS DRIVER YET until I can figure this out.

ontos81
April 11th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Hello!
I am new in the forum, but I used ubuntu for a long time, since Hoary. The HowTo always worked so far. But I reinstalled Ubuntu, using dapper flight 6 because of improved wireless support for my notebook, and so I did take the same steps hoping my lexmark z513 printer work, as it did at previous trials. I did not folowed the thread up to the end, and did not see your advice. Now I am without GDM as the other people. In my case, using XFCE as my default wm, only typing "startx" resolves, but if you get a solution to the GDM problem please inform.

Smakfull
April 16th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I figured out your problem -- you need to mount the usb filesystem. Add this line to /etc/fstab

Then type

sudo mount usbfs

Thanks... Didn't work though :( My system tells me my USB-port is already mounted on /proc/bus/usb. Still no output from backend!

Thank you for your time!

robogock
April 16th, 2006, 07:41 PM
eh nevermind, found http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24575

Okay, I was just handed a freebie Dell 720 printer, which is a repackaged Lexmark z615. I'm running 64-bit hoary, so, like others, the standard install instructions for the lexmark drivers didn't work. I followed the instructions to create a 32bit chroot enviornment, but now I'm stuck. What do I do now? Do I run cups as a 32bit app?

aegypius
April 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Hello

Thank to you, now i can print in my Lexmark X1180. But how can i put my scaner work.

JetPack
April 24th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Hi,

I'm a newbie (but slowly getting there...) and I've hit a problem with the Lexmark install.

First, I tried using a file lexmarkz55-2.0-1.gz.sh that I found on the net (as I have a Z55) and applied the extraction techniques to get the .rpm, etc. But then I got stuck. I have no idea what I've actually installed using dpgk (once I'd turned it into a .deb using alien).

So....

I went over the LZ600 procedure and ended up with the error message:-

martin@Majestic-L:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600

And, of course, it no work....

I can see the LZ600 printer driver in the list when I use the Gnome print utility and it will even let me set up a printer but the "print test page" operation doesn't even make the printer twitch.

I am guessing that a lot of the editing done in the Z35 install (an earlier post) solves these object/library discrepancies but I don't know how to go about translating what was done there for the Z55 issue.

My system base config is attached and some help would be appreciated - thanks.

OK - just followed another branch and installed the libstd5. This took away the error mesage but didn't seem to achieve anything else. When I run z600 I get no output at all. Will try a re-boot...

Nope - and I tried the whole installation procedure again, and removed and recreated the printer in Gnome Printers. Not working.

The printer is on the parallel port and Ubuntu doesn't seem to be able to detect it - maybe this is the underlying casue.

Any ideas? (thanks)

VincenzoDiMassa
May 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
If your printer does not work you can try:

$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/z600llpddk
$ sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/z600llpddk/*

It worked for me.

Vincenzo

Smakfull
May 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Got this from /var/log/cups/error_log (don't know how to set LogLevel to debug I'm afraid - Yea I do, fixed it). No output from backend. Are there any more logs I can provide to help? I can't understand this system, and am really close to go back to windows, almost solely due to this printer problem.

I [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] Listening to 7f000001:631
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] AddLocation: added location '/'
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] DenyIP: / deny 00000000/00000000
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] AllowIP: / allow 7f000001/ffffffff
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] AddLocation: added location '/jobs'
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] AddLocation: added location '/admin'
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] DenyIP: /admin deny 00000000/00000000
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] AllowIP: /admin allow 7f000001/ffffffff
I [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] Loaded configuration file "/etc/cups/cupsd.conf"
I [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] Configured for up to 100 clients.
I [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] Allowing up to 100 client connections per host.
I [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] Full reload is required.
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] LoadAllPrinters: Loading printer Z600-v1.0-1...
E [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] LoadAllClasses: Unable to open /etc/cups/classes.conf - No such file or directory
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "ipp"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "http"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:45 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "bluetooth"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "epson:/dev/lp0"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "canon:/dev/lp0"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "smb"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "lpd"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "parallel:/dev/lp0"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "socket"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb://Dell/Photo%20AIO%20Printer%20924"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp1"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp2"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp3"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp4"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp5"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp6"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp7"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp8"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp9"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp10"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp11"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp12"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp13"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp14"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadDevices: Added device "usb:/dev/usb/lp15"...
I [14/May/2006:18:38:46 +0200] LoadPPDs: Read "/etc/cups/ppds.dat", 4107 PPDs...
I [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] LoadPPDs: No new or changed PPDs...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] LoadAllJobs: Scanning /var/spool/cups...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] LoadAllJobs: Loading attributes for job 1...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] LoadAllJobs: Loading attributes for job 2...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] LoadAllJobs: Auto-typing document file d00002-001...
I [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] Full reload complete.
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartListening: NumListeners=1
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartListening: address=7f000001 port=631
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] ResumeListening: setting input bits...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob(2, 0x80961a0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob() id = 2, file = 0/1
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] job-sheets=none,none
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] banner_page = 0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: argv = "Z600-v1.0-1","2","smakfull","(stdin)","1","PreFilter=Level1","/var/spool/cups/d00002-001"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[0]="PATH=/usr/lib/cups/filter:/bin:/usr/bin"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[1]="SOFTWARE=CUPS/1.1"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[2]="USER=root"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[3]="CHARSET=utf-8"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[4]="LANG=sv"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[5]="TZ=Europe/Stockholm"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[6]="PPD=/etc/cups/ppd/Z600-v1.0-1.ppd"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[7]="CUPS_SERVERROOT=/etc/cups"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[8]="RIP_MAX_CACHE=8m"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[9]="TMPDIR=/var/spool/cups/tmp"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[10]="CONTENT_TYPE=application/postscript"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[11]="DEVICE_URI=usb://Dell/Photo%20AIO%20Printer%20924"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[12]="PRINTER=Z600-v1.0-1"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[13]="CUPS_DATADIR=/usr/share/cups"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[14]="CUPS_FONTPATH=/usr/share/cups/fonts"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[15]="CUPS_SERVER=localhost"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: envp[16]="IPP_PORT=631"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: statusfds = [ 4 5 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: filterfds[1] = [ 6 -1 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: filter = "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: filterfds[0] = [ 7 8 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] start_process("/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops", 0xbfd154f0, 0xbfd14a68, 6, 8, 5)
I [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstops (PID 7476) for job 2.
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: filter = "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: filterfds[1] = [ 6 9 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] start_process("/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster", 0xbfd154f0, 0xbfd14a68, 7, 9, 5)
I [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster (PID 7477) for job 2.
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: filter = "/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz600"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: filterfds[0] = [ 7 8 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] start_process("/usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz600", 0xbfd154f0, 0xbfd14a68, 6, 8, 5)
I [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] Started filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz600 (PID 7478) for job 2.
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: backend = "/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb"
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] StartJob: filterfds[1] = [ -1 6 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] start_process("/usr/lib/cups/backend/usb", 0xbfd154f0, 0xbfd14a68, 7, 6, 5)
I [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] Started backend /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb (PID 7479) for job 2.
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] Printer using device file "/dev/usb/lp0"...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] LPGETSTATUS returned a port status of 18...
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] Running /usr/bin/gs-esp -dQUIET -dDEBUG -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dNOMEDIAATTRS -sDEVICE=cups -sstdout=%stderr -sOUTPUTFILE=%stdout -c -
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] Page = 595x842; 18,36 to 585,837
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] slowcollate=0, slowduplex=0, sloworder=0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BoundingBox: 0 0 612 792
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Creator: Mozilla PostScript module (rv:1.7.13/2006041813)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%DocumentData: Clean8Bit
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%DocumentPaperSizes: Letter
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Orientation: Portrait
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Pages: (atend)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%PageOrder: Ascend
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%EndComments
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginProlog
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%EndProlog
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%DocumentNeededResources: procset CIDInit
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%IncludeResource: procset CIDInit
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginResource: CMap Bitstream_Vera_Sans.Bold.0.0_cmap
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Title: (Bitstream_Vera_Sans.Bold.0.0_cmap mozilla_printout UBjaCT1xV6MA9PkdvDbZmDyoqeA= 0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Version : 1
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%EndResource
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%DocumentNeededResources: procset CIDInit
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginResource: CIDFont Bitstream_Vera_Sans.Bold.0.0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Title: (Bitstream_Vera_Sans.Bold.0.0 mozilla_printout UBjaCT1xV6MA9PkdvDbZmDyoqeA= 0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Version: 1
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginData: 11621 Binary Bytes
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%EndData
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginResource: CMap Bitstream_Vera_Sans_Mono.Roman.0.0_cmap
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Title: (Bitstream_Vera_Sans_Mono.Roman.0.0_cmap mozilla_printout f6U0d65zzBHouM157hSFOUVU6uE= 0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginResource: CIDFont Bitstream_Vera_Sans_Mono.Roman.0.0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Title: (Bitstream_Vera_Sans_Mono.Roman.0.0 mozilla_printout f6U0d65zzBHouM157hSFOUVU6uE= 0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginData: 13191 Binary Bytes
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginResource: CMap Bitstream_Vera_Sans_Mono.Bold.0.0_cmap
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Title: (Bitstream_Vera_Sans_Mono.Bold.0.0_cmap mozilla_printout XCJqh1WCzx8tJgqb+JzS7kcENY0= 0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginResource: CIDFont Bitstream_Vera_Sans_Mono.Bold.0.0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Title: (Bitstream_Vera_Sans_Mono.Bold.0.0 mozilla_printout XCJqh1WCzx8tJgqb+JzS7kcENY0= 0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginData: 1440 Binary Bytes
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginResource: CMap Bitstream_Vera_Sans.Oblique.0.0_cmap
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Title: (Bitstream_Vera_Sans.Oblique.0.0_cmap mozilla_printout 57c1KJ55Zs+fBvJlM0DyIl4FuQo= 0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%BeginResource: CIDFont Bitstream_Vera_Sans.Oblique.0.0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] 0 %%Title: (Bitstream_Vera_Sans.Oblique.0.0 mozilla_printout 57c1KJ55Zs+fBvJlM0DyIl4FuQo= 0)
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] START 0 1414672 116499 1421640 132248 true 474 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] END PROCS 0 1414672 128676 1421640 133616 true 586 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] gs_std_e.ps 0 1454864 142008 1421640 134992 true 594 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] gs_il1_e.ps 0 1454864 144727 1421640 134992 true 595 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:47 +0200] [Job 2] END FONTDIR/ENCS 0 1454864 144879 1421640 134992 true 597 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END DEVS 0 1469480 175728 1421640 134992 true 601 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END STATD 0 1489576 186125 1421640 136604 true 605 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END GS_FONTS 0 1509672 207229 1421640 136604 true 648 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_type1.ps 0 1509672 210779 1421640 136604 true 664 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_dps1.ps 0 1509672 212626 1421640 136604 true 666 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_lev2.ps 10 1549864 234709 1517296 232656 true 673 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] BEGIN RESOURCES 10 1549864 236845 1517296 232656 true 673 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END CATEGORY 10 1549864 238315 1517296 232812 true 674 5 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END GENERIC 10 1549864 241513 1517296 232812 true 674 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END FIXED 10 1549864 246844 1517296 232812 true 674 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END MISC 10 1549864 251254 1517296 232812 true 674 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END ENCODING 10 1569960 256434 1517296 232812 true 674 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_res.ps 10 1569960 256585 1517296 232812 true 678 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_typ42.ps 10 1569960 256899 1517296 232812 true 681 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] ./CIDFnmap 10 1569960 264791 1517296 232812 true 840 4 <3>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/cups/fonts/CIDFnmap 10 1569960 264830 1517296 232812 true 840 4 <3>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/gs-esp/7.07/lib/CIDFnmap 10 1569960 264874 1517296 232812 true 840 4 <3>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/gs-esp/fonts/CIDFnmap 10 1569960 264915 1517296 232812 true 840 4 <3>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts/CIDFnmap 10 1569960 264964 1517296 232812 true 840 4 <3>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/cups/fonts/CIDFnmap 10 1569960 265998 1517296 232812 true 840 4 <3>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/CIDFnmap 10 1569960 266044 1517296 232812 true 840 4 <3>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts/CIDFnmap 10 1569960 266094 1517296 232812 true 840 4 <3>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_cidfn.ps 10 1569960 266036 1517296 232812 true 706 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_cidcm.ps 10 1590056 278320 1517296 232812 true 706 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_cmap.ps 10 1590056 284386 1517296 232812 true 710 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_btokn.ps 10 1590056 287352 1517296 232812 true 711 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_dps2.ps 10 1590056 289790 1517296 232812 true 712 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_setpd.ps 10 1610152 300513 1517296 232812 true 712 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_typ32.ps 10 1610152 301585 1517296 232812 true 710 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_frsd.ps 10 1610152 302293 1517296 232812 true 710 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_ll3.ps 20 1610152 313681 1602852 319126 true 711 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_mex_e.ps 20 1610152 319032 1602852 319126 true 711 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_mro_e.ps 20 1630248 323016 1602852 319126 true 711 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_pdf_e.ps 20 1650344 327008 1602852 319126 true 711 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_wan_e.ps 20 1650344 327645 1602852 319126 true 711 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] pdf_ops.ps 30 1650344 338209 1602852 319126 true 711 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_l2img.ps 30 1650344 339937 1602852 319126 true 714 3 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] pdf_base.ps 30 1650344 347431 1602852 319126 true 913 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] pdf_draw.ps 30 1670440 370785 1602852 319126 true 913 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] pdf_font.ps 30 1690536 389002 1602852 319126 true 913 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] pdf_main.ps 30 1730728 415585 1602852 319126 true 915 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] pdf_sec.ps 30 1730728 418434 1602852 319126 true 915 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_css_e.ps 40 1730728 419302 1602852 319126 true 915 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_cff.ps 40 1750824 435785 1602852 319126 true 917 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_mgl_e.ps 40 1750824 439630 1602852 319126 true 917 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_agl.ps 40 1803968 486908 1602852 319126 true 918 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_ttf.ps 40 1860684 544455 1602852 319126 true 969 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_icc.ps 40 1860684 545332 1602852 320688 true 969 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_dps.ps 40 1880780 550053 1602852 320688 true 982 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_dpnxt.ps 40 1880780 550738 1602852 320688 true 998 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_epsf.ps 40 1880780 551227 1602852 320688 true 1000 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_pdfwr.ps 40 1907076 590878 1602852 320688 true 1024 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_lgo_e.ps 40 1907076 591605 1602852 320688 true 1024 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] gs_lgx_e.ps 40 1907076 591899 1602852 320688 true 1024 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] dmp_init.ps 40 1941668 622003 1622948 334454 true 1024 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END INITFILES 50 1961764 628690 1622948 334454 true 1051 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] ./Fontmap 50 1961764 630197 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/cups/fonts/Fontmap 50 1961764 630234 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/gs-esp/7.07/lib/Fontmap 50 1961764 630276 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/gs-esp/fonts/Fontmap 50 1981860 652376 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /var/lib/defoma/gs.d/dirs/fonts/Fontmap 50 1981860 652423 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/cups/fonts/Fontmap 50 2082340 693082 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/share/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap 50 2082340 693126 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] /usr/local/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap 50 2082340 693174 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <1>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] END FONTS 50 2082340 693215 1622948 335248 true 1052 4 <0>
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] num_components = 1, depth = 1
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cupsColorSpace = 3, cupsColorOrder = 0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cupsBitsPerPixel = 1, cupsBitsPerColor = 1
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] max_gray = 1, dither_grays = 2
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] max_color = 0, dither_colors = 0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] old_depth = 1, depth = 1, size_set = 0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cache_size = 8388608
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cups->header.Duplex = 0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cups->page = 1
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cups->ppd = 0x89ec310
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cups->ppd->flip_duplex = 0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] width = 850, height = 1100
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] PageSize = [ 612 792 ], HWResolution = [ 100 100 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] HWMargins = [ 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] matrix = [ 1.389 0.000 0.000 -1.389 -0.000 1100.000 ]
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cups->header.Duplex = 0
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cups->page = 1
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cups->ppd = 0x89ec310
D [14/May/2006:18:38:48 +0200] [Job 2] cups->ppd->flip_duplex = 0

nipx
May 15th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Hey,

Thanks :D. This has worked for me on Breezy and Dapper with X1185, works great.

Smakfull
May 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM
I gave up and installed debian with xfce. Thank you anyway!

minimoose
May 21st, 2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks everybody. I have one of those horrible "Dell Photo Printer 720"s, which are rebranded Lexmark Z615's. I followed all of the instructions on the first page and now the printer is working perfectly (under Ubuntu Breezy)! One thing though, when I tried to execute ./z600, there was no output, even after I edited /etc/fstab. It said that usbfs was already mounted. Oh well, as long as it works. At least now I can finally get rid of Windows!:cool:

UbuntuniX
May 26th, 2006, 07:01 PM
When I try to open the z600cups file Gedit says it cannot automatically detect the character coding.

How can I open it?

o0blueardvarko0
May 29th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Ok. I tried all of that already. The way you have it laid out but once i get to the part you extract it using the tail command everything just fails. Can you help me? Maybe tell me why my Lexmark X1185 isnt working?

jrd
June 4th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Thank you for writing this how-to!! I've been tring to get this printer working for a wile now. Now it works perfect!! Thank you.

at2000
June 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM
sudo apt-get install install libstdc++5 if "libstdc++.so.5" is missing.

cosine7
June 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Lexmark E230

Just a quick note, the E230 will work happily with Generic PCL-6-PCL-XL driver

Schalken
June 5th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Thank you so much! I successfully printed across a Windows network to a Lexmark X1100 connected to a Windows ME computer thanks to this HOWTO! \\:D/

Note: this HOWTO does NOT work on AMD64! (not sure if this has already been concluded) This was my initial problem, since I previously used Ubuntu 64bit but changed to 32bit so more stuff works (including my printer).

migraineboy
June 6th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Does it work for x1195? Does anyone have tryed?

H.E. Pennypacker
June 8th, 2006, 01:57 AM
black hole sun, I kindly ask that you remove the following from your instructions and instead tell members to use the GUI as much as possible. The following can be done using a few clicks here and there right inside Ubuntu:

$ mkdir lexmark

Those three lines are:

1. Create a folder named Lexmark on the Desktop.
2. Move the downloaded file (the one from Lexmark.com) to the Lexmark folder.
3. Once inside the Lexmark folder, right click on the .Tar.gz file, and select "Extract here."

It's a lot easier for newbies to understand English than messing around with all sorts of commands for the Terminal. That's why I always recommend people using the GUI as much as possible, and it also makes us Linux users more human like (the more we rely on GUI, the more human like we are). :)

Also, can you please link directly to the .Tar.gz file so that totally lost newbies don't have to go the page, and figure out what to download. Here's the link:

http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz

Moreover, you failed to mention that members need to download the "tail" command from Synaptic, before they can use it. Fortunately, I figured out that you must download commands before you can use them. So, I opened Synaptic, searched for "tail," and downloaded what I found. It would be nice to add this note.

A note to newbies:

For the lines that preceed with "sudo," you can omitt "sudo" if you are either signed in as root, or you have already put in the "su" command and offered your password. It's actually easier to begin everything by typing in "su," and then typing your password when requested. That way, you won't have to add "sudo" for almost every line.

Also, keep in mind that you actually need to add the forward slash ("/") to the following line:

sudo tar xvzf z600cups-1.0.tgz -C /

The same goes for other lines that use the forward slash.

When black hole sun says "Add this to your /etc/fstab file," open gEdit and edit the file /etc/fstab. You can do this real easily by going to the terminal and typing in gedit /etc/fstab. Remember to first begin with su and your password before doing this! Typing gedit /etc/fstab opens up /etc/fstab in gEdit.

black hole sun, if you could, please do add these instructions to your original post. It can save a lot of headache for newbies. Thanks! :)

H.E. Pennypacker
June 8th, 2006, 01:59 AM
I forgot to mention that it would be REAL NICE if there was a way to involve the GUI more, and less command line work. So, for the next release, people could just browse for a file or whatever and install things that way. It's always more convenient to use GUI, and its more attractive to newbies. Basically, I am asking for a several-step process that doesn't require command line work.

sess420
June 10th, 2006, 04:09 AM
Your the man Black Hole Sun thanks alot

Tobas
June 10th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Im having problems with adding a printer trough the webinterface of cups.
I have a working Ubuntu 6.06 server with no gui, and i have to work with the web interface.
But it wont let me add a printer ?
I have to be logged in as root but there is no login screen of some sort ?
I get this error

"426 Upgrade Required
You must access this page using the URL https://**********:631/admin"

everything worked fine in this HOW-TO and i see that my printer is found ( z65 ) but i cannot add him to be a active printer.
Can someone help me ?

Tobas

ivuntu
June 14th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Hi!

I got my lexmark p707 working with Breezy thanks to this howto, with the Z600 driver. However, one day (probably after an ubuntu update) it did not work anymore: I could see the printing job in the printer properties window (it status sayed "printing"), but nothing happened.

now I upgraded to Dapper, and still the printer does not respond. I followed the instructions again, and here is where I got stuck:

$ ./z600

I get no output, even though the usbfs is already mounted.

Any suggestions are most welcome! Thanks in advance!

john.mccarty
June 17th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hello, I was trying to install the driver per the instructions in the first post for this topic and my system is completely screwed up now.

After executing the following step:
sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C /

My user no longer existed in the sudoers file. My user no longer has any rights to do anything.
I rebooted, but now Xwindows can't even start.

What happened, and how do I recover?

thanks,
john

joriad
June 18th, 2006, 07:05 AM
help!!!!

Ok, I went through the instructions in the first post to attempt to install a lexmark x2350, 3 in 1 printer. things seemed ok and drivers installed and backend seemed to be ok. however when I tried to print anything out the pages were in a constant state of processing and the printer just sat there like a large paper weight.

I then shut down my computer and rebooted on my windows partition to make sure my printer wasn't faulty, it worked fine. I again rebooted my ubuntu 6.06 partition and tried to check if the printer worked and got this message "Cup server could not be contacted" and my printer was no longer to be found.

So I went through the process again and this time when I got to "/etc/rc2.d/s19cupsys restart"
I got the response
"bash: /etc/rc2.d/s19cupsys: No such file or directory"
I then navigated to the folder and found that s19cupsys had disappeared

What happened and how do I fix this problem? And what do I do with this large :evil: paper weight that is consuming space on my desk and my sanity?](*,)

Thanks
Joriad

bitoiu
June 18th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Hi,

I have a fresh 6.06 ubuntu, and decided to have a new try with my z515, and this how to worked perfectly.

Thanks black hole sun, great post!

rough raider
June 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM
hi ! I have lexmark z705 and ubuntu 5.10 , drivers installed fine , test page prints in all colours but ... when I try to print something else like page from writer , printer loads paper but it's nothing on it - it is blank

is there solution for it ?
ps : ink is full

magnocrow
June 29th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Lexmark Z32/Z22 or compaq IJ600 Run in Dapper??

reefland
July 2nd, 2006, 11:08 PM
I've been tasked with getting a Lexmark P4350 working under ubuntu 6.06. I found this thread where several with Z or X based printers have had sucess. Should I try these steps on a "p" printer?

reefland
July 2nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
I've been tasked with getting a Lexmark P4350 working under ubuntu 6.06. I found this thread where several with Z or X based printers have had sucess. Should I try these steps on a "p" printer?

Well I figured the advice would be to just try it. So I did. No errors, but no results.

Got this at the end:

$ ./z600
direct z600:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Lexmark 4300 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

Nothing happenes after I add the printer. Not even the sound of an attempt of the printer to do anything.

Suggestion?

ivuntu
July 11th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Hi,

I followed your guide in Breezy: it worked very good, but in Dapper, the printer failed to work, so I followed the howto again. it gets down to this: I get no output when I type ./z600. So I added
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0 in /etc/fstab.

When I typed

sudo mount usbfs I got this:

mount: usbfs already mounted or /proc/bus/usb busy
mount: according to mtab, procbususb is already mounted on /proc/bus/usb

Any suggestions?

mhancoc7
July 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Thank you so much. I just tried this with Dapper and a Lexmark X1150 and it worked perfect. I was really desperate since I told my 3 year old that I would print out a picture of Thomas the Train that we had painted. There were only a few things I had to change in the instructions. Simply things like changing the directory and such.
Thanks, Jereme

denisesballs
July 19th, 2006, 09:53 PM
You are a lifesaver! We've been struggling with these POS' for years! Confirmed on a Lexmark Z517 in Dapper. Thank you!

imhdd
July 20th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Dapper 6.06. Configuring Lexmark z515.

Tried everything I could find about installing the z600le driver. I tried for hours but nothing worked for me (I'm new to command line).

I learned a lot along the way; thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Then I found this installation How To:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportComponentsPrinters/LexmarkZ605

I followed these directions and EUREKA! My z515 works perfectly. Thank you all for help.

ivuntu
July 20th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Hi,

I followed your guide in Breezy: it worked very good, but in Dapper, the printer failed to work, so I followed the howto again. it gets down to this: I get no output when I type ./z600. So I added
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=14,devmode=0660 0 0 in /etc/fstab.

When I typed

sudo mount usbfs I got this:

Any suggestions?

I got it working again: it was a faulty USB Hub. The HOWTO works for Dapper too, it seems. good luck everybody

StarSkeptic
July 29th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Worked lika charm --Lexmark z515
Many thanx:p

Leonivek
August 6th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Finally! I got my Lexmark x1110 printer to work in Dapper! :p I haven't tested my scanner, yet, though.

Thank you so much!

BTW, I can't seem to be able to print from Firefox. :-k Anyone else have this issue? :-?

aviper2k7
August 11th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Everyone -- I'm so sorry I haven't been here for a long time so I haven't been able to help you guys. :(

Then type

sudo mount usbfs

Excuse my lack of Linux-knowlege, but how do you "add" that line to /etc/fstab.

davidrcuervo
August 16th, 2006, 02:13 AM
This Howto works with my Lexmark X1195 and dapper.

Thanks a lot for your work:D

gates
August 16th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Hi,
Got that driver going for my lexmark-X1195 on SuSE 10.0. The only changes I had to make were :-

1.did not do the alien part - just did :-
rpm -ivh --nodeps ( both rpms on same line )
2.to reatart cups :- /etc/init.d/cups restart
3.added that usbfs line to my existing fstab ( after backing up fstab )
4.umount usbfs & did 'mount usbfs'
5.ran out the test print via gnome ... all went well !!

Regards, .

bobmcferren
August 18th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Many thanks! Absolute newbee and your thorough indtructions were the best!

matchstich
August 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM
Dapper 6.06. Configuring Lexmark z515.

Tried everything I could find about installing the z600le driver. I tried for hours but nothing worked for me (I'm new to command line).

I learned a lot along the way; thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

Then I found this installation How To:

I followed these directions and EUREKA! My z515 works perfectly. Thank you all for help.

being a complete newbie my self . where do i put those commands. i tryed opening terminal but got nothing but error messages after typing in the commands listed on that link.
thanks

matchstich
August 21st, 2006, 02:14 AM

$ mkdir lexmark

ok, i opened terminal typed in the commands as you had them written.
i downloaded the driver from lexmark.
but when i got to the 2nd one, the reply i got the file connot be found in any file or directory.
what did i do wrong?
thanks

KjetilK
August 26th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi there!

Thanks for putting this together. I have a Dell A920 I'd like to get working. My platform is Kubuntu Breezy (allthough I have plans of a Dapper upgrade soon).

I got this far, and it worked.

root@owl:/usr/lib/cups/backend> ./z600
direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Dell A920" "Lexmark Printer"

Then I run the KDE config tool, and at first it looks good, since the printer shows up in the port selection dialogue, it even shows as Dell A920! :-)

But then something goes wrong. When building the list of drivers, nothing comes up, so I select "others", and select z600. It detects an error:

Wrong driver format.
/usr/lib/cups/backend/z600(line 1): syntax error, unexpected OPTION

I think, in a previous trail, that I saw a complaint about something on line 92 as well...

On my terminal, it says

kdeprint: WARNING: PPD syntax error, PPD parse failed

Any ideas here?

KjetilK
August 26th, 2006, 11:25 PM
Wrong driver format.
/usr/lib/cups/backend/z600(line 1): syntax error, unexpected OPTION

I think, in a previous trail, that I saw a complaint about something on line 92 as well...

On my terminal, it says

kdeprint: WARNING: PPD syntax error, PPD parse failed

Actually, I decided to make a final attempt as a normal user rather than root. And then it worked. So, perhaps it was some kind of stale driver cache or something? If that's the case, how can I flush the cache?

LinLenLap
August 28th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks Black Hole Sun!

Your original post, the very first one, got me up and running with no problems!

Best,

LLL

FastZ
August 28th, 2006, 02:32 PM
When I get to the

steps, it says

bash: alien: command not found

LinLenLap
August 29th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I had the same problem, the solution is in this thread.

If I recall correctly it was:

Best,

August 29th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I keep getting this error

this is after I type:
$ alien -t z600cups-1.01.i386.rpm

any ideas?

LinLenLap
August 30th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Did you do this:

Sudo apt-get install alien

If that doesn't work, make sure that you have the universe and community repositories enabled. It might be among those repositories.

Best,

fuxord22
September 1st, 2006, 04:01 AM
Thanks it worked, i don thave much ink, but when i printed i did see the shadow of what i wrote, so thanks. I dont understand how the whole process worked so need to work on that. but overall-thanks.

weemikey
September 4th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Many many thanks for this <black hole sun>.
I've re-done it as it worked out for me and hopefully even a total newbie, like myself, will be able to follow it and have a working Lexmark Z35 Printer.
WeeMikey

%% black hole sun,
I'd like to make a couple of suggestions which I found necessary:

first off I installed <alien> by going through <System> <Administration> <Synaptic Package Manager> <Search> <alien>.

then for your driver go to:

http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/selections.cgi?ccs=-1:1:0::0:0

select your country and go from there.
When I got to the drivers section I picked up the Red Hat Linux driver as it's a *.rpm file which suits your script.

At this point I went to <Places> <Home Folder> then clicked on <File> <New Folder> and when that appeared named it <lexmark>. Then on the download of the driver I assigned it to that folder.

These first two lines of code aren't necessary if you have already done the suggestions above

$ mkdir lexmark

]Open a terminal through <Applications> <Accessories> <Terminal> and follow the script. I entered <sudo> at the start of each line of script - probably not necessary, but it made me feel better! This way your first line of code would be entered as:

$ sudo tar -xvzf CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ

rather than:

My specific driver for Z35 was named <CJLZ35LE-CUPS-2.0-1.TAR.GZ> so I substituted that in the line of code -exactly, remember capitals MUST be capitals, and lower case must be lower case for linux file names. Sorry to state the obvious to old timers, but it took me a while to learn many of these things.
At this point examine your extracted files and note their names -exactly!
I found <lexmarkz35-CUPS-2.0-1.gz.sh> and used that in the next line of the script.

In these next two lines, using <alien> I found, through an error message, that I had to add <c> after the <-t> to get the scripts done too. For example the next 2 lines of code should read:

$ alien -tc lexmarkz35_CUPS-2.0-1.i386.rpm
$ alien -tc z35llpddk-2.0-2.i386.rpm

or the equivalent file names for your driver. You can see that it is important to identify equivalent files!

In the next two lines of code again make sure you have identified your specific *.tgz files AND don't forget the </> following the space after <C>. I did and it makes a mess

$ sudo ldconfig # DO NOT SKP THIS STEP or your printer backend won't find required libraries

At this point I went to the selection bar at the top of the main window and clicked <Places> <Computer> <Filesystem> <usr> <share> <cups> <model> to identify the correct file for the next line of code. This turned out to be <Lexmark-Z35-lxz35cj-cups.ppd.gz> so I used that, Mind those CAPITALS and lower case letters!

$ sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped[/code]

The driver is now installed.

Now open a new Terminal window <Applications> <Accessories> <Terminal> and enter:
$ sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart
you'll be asked for your password and you'll get the message:
*Restarting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
$ ./z35

at which point I got the message:

direct z35:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Inkjet color printer" "Lexmark Printer"

All is well! Carry on as below at the <If you get no output...> if you get no output. I didn't have to do this so I can't say if it works or not.
Then jump to the <Now simply set up your printer ....>.

Restart the cups daemon:

The only difference I found here was that my printer showed up as <Z35-v2.0-1> and the driver was listed as <standard> . If you enter the <Properties> option of the Printer itself you'll find the Driver as:
Manufacturer: Lexmark
Model: Z35 v2.0-1
Driver: Standard (suggested)

Go to <System> <Adminstration> <Printing>, your new Printer will appear in the <Printers> box. Right click on it and highlight <Properties>. Check out the <Advanced> tab: I selected:
PageRegion: Letter
Output Mode: Grayscale # can't afford colour cans
Print Quality: Draft (300 dpi> # life is short
Inkset: # whatever suits you.

I really hopes this helps - especially all the new folks out there.

bajjer31
September 4th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Worked perfect for my x1150, thanks!

ward.miller
September 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Dear Black Hole Sun or anyone else who thinks they can help,

I am new to Linux (this is actually my first attempt at using the community) and have not yet figured out its advantages. I spent about 15 hours getting my wireless to work (vs. 5 minutes in XP) and have logged about 5 thus far on trying to install my Lexmark x1150. I followed your directions, but am having trouble from the start. I am using Dapper and have downloaded CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz onto my desktop. I then opened the terminal and begun typing what you suggested. I had no problem making the directorylexmark as you suggest in the first step, but when I tried to move the file there this is what I got:

ward@ward-laptop:~$ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark

I also tried installing it through the system administration and it seemed like everything was in place but when I went to print it never came out even though it said it had been sent to the printer. Any ideas, help, or even hope you could float my way would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Ward

ivuntu
September 8th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Hello Ward,

I think I know what went wrong. When you open up a terminal, it starts at a specific directory, the home-directory of the account you logged on.
For example account ward: directory is /home/ward.

the file you want to move is in another directory, .i.e. on your desktop: /home/ward/Desktop (notice the upper case)

so you might want to try this:

cd Desktop
mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz /home/ward/lexmark

Good luck!

Dear Black Hole Sun or anyone else who thinks they can help,

I am new to Linux (this is actually my first attempt at using the community) and have not yet figured out its advantages. I spent about 15 hours getting my wireless to work (vs. 5 minutes in XP) and have logged about 5 thus far on trying to install my Lexmark x1150. I followed your directions, but am having trouble from the start. I am using Dapper and have downloaded CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz onto my desktop. I then opened the terminal and begun typing what you suggested. I had no problem making the directorylexmark as you suggest in the first step, but when I tried to move the file there this is what I got:

ward@ward-laptop:~$ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark

I also tried installing it through the system administration and it seemed like everything was in place but when I went to print it never came out even though it said it had been sent to the printer. Any ideas, help, or even hope you could float my way would be much appreciated. Thanks,
Ward

illu45
September 9th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I'm having the same issue that others here have had before, although I can't seem to find any resolution. Everything seems to work fine until I try the

./z600

I get no output from this command. I added the usbfs line to my /etc/fstab, but when I try the

sudo mount usbfs

I get the following error:

I had some trouble with two of my USB ports in Windows, so it may be corrupt ports, which I know another user had, but I don't know how I would fix that.

Joedude
September 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
I look forward to generating a driver for the Lexmark X2350 all in one, thanx for the starter kit.

ubunturules
September 11th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Joedude: Have you been able to get the Lexmark X2350 working?

Joedude
September 12th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Not at all, it is appearing as though I'm going to have to do it from scratch. However, Ubuntu does acknowledge there is a lexmark 2300 series printer hooked up to it, so they are talking, they just don't understand each other yet...I'm gonna try n fix that.

ubunturules
September 23rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
how its coming?

Joedude
September 23rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
Nope, not yet. Give me time...it's the one thing I have very little of. I'm the father of kids, 2 and 3 years old, and have a job that demands 12 hour days...As soon as I get it, this will be the first place I post it. I'll even submit it to the developers.

lupin492
September 26th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Please, Jerrybme: it would be VERY useful for us, 64-bit ridders, if you tell us how did you make the jail. Specifically, wich libraries did you put in there por the printer to work.
Or did you make a complete 32bit-Ubuntu installation there ?
Hope you have time to tell us.
Thanks !!!

jmwinn21
September 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks man!! I'm a Ubuntu newbie and it worked like a charm the first time around!! Thanks again.

rookieone
September 27th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Thanks, that worked fine. OK I had to fiddle a bit but third time's a charm as they say.
Now I need to replace my cartridges, they've dried out.

matchstich
October 2nd, 2006, 11:50 PM
i have been trying all this stuff in here for a while and nothing is working, i give up. where can i find a list of printers that will work on ubuntu, thanks

H.E. Pennypacker
October 12th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Will these instructions work with Lexmark X85 (which is a lot like the X75)?

i have been trying all this stuff in here for a while and nothing is working, i give up. where can i find a list of printers that will work on ubuntu, thanks

You should consider linuxprinting.org's recommendation page (http://linuxprinting.org/suggested.html).

Chickenfoot
October 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM
ARRGGGGGG,

Gods Frakkin' Damnit!!!

Trying to get my Lexmark 5150 working on DApper.

Read the whole thread, especially page 12! Added to my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdc1 /media/windows ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

went to terminal, ran the following command:

tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the driver.
tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # the sh script is broken for newer systems.
tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the contents produced by tail
sudo alien --to-deb *.rpm # convert unusable rpm packages to deb.
dpkg -i *.deb # install the debs
sudo ldconfig # refresh ubuntu to see the new libraries
cd /usr/share/cups/model
sudo gunzip Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz # unzip the ppd, which should _not_ be gzipped
sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart # The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon.

I get this:

gunzip: Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz: No such file or directory
chickenfoot@spanky:/usr/share/cups/model$ sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart # The driver is now installed. Restart the cups daemon./usr/lib/cups/backend/z600

Still cannot print out. What am I doing wrong?

H.E. Pennypacker
October 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I went to the first tail line, and I got a whole bunch of gibberish. There is no text...just random characters...as you would see in a crashed text document.

I followed these instructions before, and I downloaded tail, but now I don't know what to download anymore. What exactly does tail go by in Synaptic?

twstokes
October 20th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Worked beautifully with my Dell 720 over a network!

Prints a tad on the slow side, but that's way quicker than booting into Windows now isn't it?

H.E. Pennypacker
October 20th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I went to the first tail line, and I got a whole bunch of gibberish. There is no text...just random characters...as you would see in a crashed text document.

I followed these instructions before, and I downloaded tail, but now I don't know what to download anymore. What exactly does tail go by in Synaptic?

It turned out I was only copying a part of the line. Make sure you copy everything until the number symbol ("#"), which in programming languages, is used to preceed any lines that a programmer does not want the computer to recognize and use. These "hidden from the computer" lines are called comments, and are useful for adding notes to a programming language. In other areas of computers, comments are widely popular as well, and are used frequently.

makadam
October 22nd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Hello.

Thanks for your HOWTO.
I installed my Lexmark Z602 in a similar way. I used this French HowTo you can find here : http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/materiel/imprimante_lexmark_z600_serie

Luthy
October 27th, 2006, 03:24 AM
luthy@luthy-desktop:~$ sudo mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark
luthy@luthy-desktop:~$

Ok can some one please PM detailed instructions? I am somewhat of a newbie when it comes to comand lines, is there anyway you can do this w/o going into root? please and thank you hunnies!

DonKyot
November 2nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Hi,
I'm being a bit thick.
Did everything on post #1. Then in

Now simply set up your printer through the System->Administration->Printing in gnome. Make sure you select the z600 driver, and you're golden.no z600 shows up in the driver list.

I tried a few that do show up - no luck (X1180).

Any ideas?

ta

plb
November 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Hi,
I'm being a bit thick.
Did everything on post #1. Then in
no z600 shows up in the driver list.

I tried a few that do show up - no luck (X1180).

Any ideas?

ta

Same here, here's what I did click the install driver button and goto /usr/share/cups/model and select the z600 driver...from there everything worked for me.

Barney
November 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
black hole sun,

Thanks, again. I have used your procedure on three different Dapper installations and it worked flawlessly each time. On the most recent install, everything appeared as though I had added the printer through the normal system, it was online and set as default, but still wouldn't print. Again, I use your directions, and viola - she prints.

Thanks, for taking the time to be of such great help.

Barney

DonKyot
November 5th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Same here, here's what I did click the install driver button and goto /usr/share/cups/model and select the z600 driver...from there everything worked for me.
bingo:D
Thanks.

pantsroptional
November 7th, 2006, 11:22 PM
did not work for Z45

bjarne_w
November 10th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanx man, worked like a charm - the first time on my Dell A920. :KS

/Bjarne

murlosad
November 11th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Great how-to man, I never managed to get my X1185 working in suse, but with edgy it works. I'm a very happy man tonight.

klaramalinowska
November 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I've got lexmark Z705 printer.
I've followed HOWTO instructions carefully and almost everything works properly. Almost, cause back color is printed about 2 cm. on the left from other colors. It's partly printed besides paper.
What should I do to prevent such a situation? Is it the result of failed instalation, improper driver (I've used one for lexmark Z600, link is given at the begining of this howto) or bad properties?
Thanks in advence!

Ubuntist
November 22nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
Could I please suggest that anybody making use of this thread complain to Lexmark about the lack of a driver that works out-of-the box.

Go to www.lexmark.com, select Customer Support and then Technical Support, and you can take a survey on the quality of service provided by Lexmark that allows you to enter specific comments, i.e., that the Linux drivers don't work right.

H.E. Pennypacker
December 5th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Great how-to man, I never managed to get my X1185 working in suse, but with edgy it works. I'm a very happy man tonight.

Regarding your setting up of the Lexmark printer in Edgy, did you do anything differently from what's in the Lexmark Printers thread guide?

I am installing a Lexmark (well, its Dell, rebranded) in Edgy, but I am not sure if I should completely follow the guide, or whether I have to follow the guide at all.

drummer1189
December 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM
that link for the z600 driver is now broken

Alendit
December 23rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
Hi,

driver is installed, printer is added, but when I try to print test page there 1 job with job-hold-until-specified and nothing happens if I resume it...strange =)

Alendit

rykel
December 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Restart the cups daemon:

Hi,

I am trying to get a Lexmark X1195 to work... but I think there is a wrongly written instruction in your guide and a different backend that resulted on my Edgy Eft system:

1. To restart CUPS daemon, I believe it should be:

sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart

2. The backend that came up on my screen was:

direct z600:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Lexmark X1100 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

Anyway, I tried to identify the printer in GNOME Printing as z600, but I could not find the model... (See screenshot; also notice how the driver is missing!)

Any help?

BLTicklemonster
December 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Just set this up with a Lexmark Z1270. thanks for the help. I wonder if the scanner will work? Hmmmm

BLTicklemonster
December 29th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I am trying to get a Lexmark X1195 to work... but I think there is a wrongly written instruction in your guide and a different backend that resulted on my Edgy Eft system:

1. To restart CUPS daemon, I believe it should be:

sudo /etc/rc2.d/S19cupsys restart

2. The backend that came up on my screen was:

direct z600:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Lexmark X1100 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

Anyway, I tried to identify the printer in GNOME Printing as z600, but I could not find the model... (See screenshot; also notice how the driver is missing!)

Any help?

Click install driver, then use the lexmark ppd in /usr/share/cups/model
and let it set up. Then try to print. If it won't, open your printer dialogue, delete the printer you just set up, then go through set up again, and you will probably see Z600 listed this time. That's what I had to do.

GLuck.

Frostmourne
December 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
The instructions in the original post are somewhat dangerous. The "sudo tar....." steps change the user permissions in every directory the files extract into. For example, when I did these steps the / directory, /usr, etc. changed from the root owning the directories to my user, so I could create files and folders where I shouldn't be able to.

On my Edgy installation I simply used alien (like another user suggested) to install the z600cups and z600llpddk packages after extracting them and my printer worked. This method is better because you can easily uninstall every related file should you want to.

BLTicklemonster
December 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Hey, how does one go about putting permissions back to normal once that has happened?

Thanks for the heads up, too.

minimoose
December 31st, 2006, 05:50 PM
Following up on Frostmourne, I suggest these instructions:

$ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz # extract the package
$ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz # put the needed files into a tar file
$ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz # extract the tar file
$ sudo alien -i z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm # install the printer driver
$ sudo alien -i z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm # install misc. printer libraries
$ sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart # restart the cups daemon
$ /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600 # check that the printer backend works (I get no output but it works fine)

Ldconfig is not needed since the drivers were installed through dpkg nor does the printer driver have to be gunzipped.

Go to System - Administration - Printing and choose the printer driver Z600 v1.0-1 under Lexmark (or, if it's not there, go to Install Driver and choose /usr/share/cups/model/Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz), and enjoy!

For some resaon I have to go through the printer dialogue twice to get the printer to show up but it works nonetheless.

Raavea
January 5th, 2007, 10:51 PM
WOO! I love you, black hole sun.

I was so worried my new spangly printer wouldn't work. But (the printing part at least, so far) is working!

Big props!

PS: I have a Lexmark X1270 All-in-one.

csmaccath
January 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
Hey All,

I am a BRAND NEW Ubuntu user, and I found this how-to really helpful. However, when I completed the process, the driver was not listed as an available driver in printer setup.

After a bit of investigation on Google, I found the following thread:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-29374.html

From that thread, I extracted the following solution:
If the driver doesn't show up as an option when you install the printer, click the "Install Driver" button and go to /usr/share/cups/model. The .ppd file should be listed there. Select it as the driver for the printer.

Hope this helps! :D

Lumumba
January 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
THANKS!!!
This worked on Warty 4.1 with a Z605. I got an error with restarting cups, so I shut everything down and rebooted. The driver was there on reboot, and works!
THANKS A BUNCH from a *very* new to linux/ubuntu person!!!:D :D :D

BLTicklemonster
January 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Raavea, have you gotten the scanner to work yet?

heyilikeyoursweater
January 27th, 2007, 01:32 AM
I have a z750 and I think I got the drivers working, but when I try to print, it just shoots blank paper out. I have to get this printer working or else I have to go back to windows, and we all know we don't want that...

NoVista
January 28th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Installation went great on a P707 Lexmark printer, installed on Edgy.
Hmm, I never had to go get the 'tail' file.

But .. .. it prints as though the printer heads need to be aligned.

How can I fix this?

ECPCLINUX
January 30th, 2007, 12:51 AM
I have a Lexmark X1150 :( and I followed instructions steps by Black Hole Sun to a T to no avail. I have been trying to install the 600z driver for about 3 month (the time I have been using Ubuntu). I was able to installed the lexmark 35 driver but that only made my X1150 pass a paper (as if it were GAS! NO PRINTING). Well, I would go on to other project and come back to my lexmark from time to time only to be frustrated and look for an alternative printer that might work with Ubuntu. After a while I just hoped I could get the printer to work forget the scanner,lol. After several self imposed projects in Ubuntu I decide to try again, I figured I have learned a little and I do mean a little more. I could not get passed the first two commands. so l just extracted the file on my desktop by double clicking on the downloaded tar.gz file. Then I used BLACK HOLE SUN'S original codes from line 4 on. From there all was smooth sailing, seem like I had found a way to this. I got up to code line 12, where the terminal acknowledged that I have installed the driver, hooray!!! But wait! :( The next steps is where it all crapped out again.:lolflag: when I added these code :
"$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
$ ./z600"
I got nothing!!! :mad: Well I did what Black Sun Hole suggested we do and nothing! Could not get it to work. I looked at the printer setup to see if by some miracle the driver would be there, "after all the driver did install". Well no such luck. I tried this about three time, when it occurred to me that maybe I can get the printer setup to install the driver. I remembered that there was a button that can install driver from printer setup and it had a CD icon. I then set out to find the location of the driver that was pretty easy "etc/cups/ppd". I installed it using the printer setup and ... ready for this??? Hooray!!! it installed!!! Now the next step was to have the printer print, doooh!! Ok, lets not panic, proceeded to Say a little prayer, crossed my fingers and got on my knees before attempting to print. I found a text file to print and set up the printer 600z as default using Openoffice sent the job to the printer. yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I got my first print, perfect!!! Thank you to all of you for the help specially Black Hole Sun for initiating these instructions. Best of luck to you all maybe these unconventional instructions will work for some one out there. After countless hours of fun I got Ubuntu to do all I need it to do...for now :D No more singing the Blues, unless I want to do so! :guitar:

jesus5511
February 3rd, 2007, 05:03 AM
Is it possible to do this with the X75?

barney_1
February 4th, 2007, 01:32 AM
My System:
Kubuntu 7.10 Feisty Fawn (still in development)
Printer: Lexmark Z25

I used this HOWTO when setting up my Lexmark Z25 printer. Everything seemed to install properly but I could not print a test page. When I looked at my CUPS log I found this error message:

02/03/2007 04:11:13 PM [Job 1] Unable to open printer port "/dev/usblp0": Permission denied

I couldn't find much through searching but I think i figured out the problem, hopefully this will help you out if you have the same troubles.

In my case, the systemuser: "cupsys" did not have access to /dev/usblp0 because that user was not a member of the plugdev group. By adding "cupsys" to the "plugdev" group using the user management dialog I was able to allow cups to access my printer.

Once you have added that user to the group, restart the cups daemon:

sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

Good luck!

blackhole82
February 6th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I have a lexmark x2470 attached to a windows machine set up as a shared printer. I followed this guide completely and it seemed to be setup. When I selected the z600 model in cups and then tried to print a test page the printing dialogue came up on my windows machine. However, after the whole document was transferred my printer failed to print. It seems to be kind of slow transferring as well. I guess the driver just isn't very compatible with the x2470. I thought maybe if I could find the actual driver on the original CD I could use that, but I seem to have lost the CD.

eschatologicalhumor
February 12th, 2007, 01:19 AM
This Forum has been abundantly helpful to me in the past week or so during my endeavors in switching from MS to NIX, specifically UBUNTU(K,U,X), and for that I thank you all in advance and in retrospect.

This post has a dual purpose: First commending the code that lead to my printers inevitable usage(even though I think my ink is dried up from it's rest in the attic) and also to point out a couple code strings that not only didn't work, but weren't required to install and use the driver.

One quick, and confused comment before the strings....When I ran the tail command my terminal screen scrolled like a mad penguin full of strange characters, probably binary code of some sort due to the inscribed action 'tail' is supposed to perform, and left me at a /dir with this:

/home/sotec/Desktop/lexmark# 62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9 ;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c 62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62 ;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9 ;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c 62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62 ;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9 ;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;c62;9;ctar

Any explanation? All I know is that after the confusion ceased to interest me, I decided to skip that part and move ahead to the commands :

Which in fact did as they were supposed to; they config'd, moved to dir and unzipped the driver, which was cake to find in the /usr/share/cups/model dir.

The printer works now and I couldn't be happier! But I wanted to post and share with you all the fact that the commands:

...didn't work...not did they need to on my machine.
So thank you for the awesome Tutorial!
(now if I could only get my ink to fire on the paper....)

Anyone know how to perform the maintenance printer actions? i.e. head cleaning?

Thanks!

divali
February 12th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Using Edgy.
I have a Lexmark Z715 and followed all of the Howto as given by Black Hole Sun and everything
went fine but when I rebooted and tried to add the new printer in the Gnome printer Cups
system the z600 wasn't listed.
Can anyone help. What could I have missed.

sh4d3z
February 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM
i simply made a shell script out of the tutorial called lexmark_install.sh
it spits this output :

sh4d3z@nix-machine:~$ lexmark.sh
creating ~/.lexmark dir
downloading CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz
--12:57:48-- http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz
=> `CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz'
Resolving www.downloaddelivery.com... 199.106.212.28
Connecting to www.downloaddelivery.com|199.106.212.28|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 4,301,167 (4.1M) [application/x-tar]

100%[================================================== =================================>] 4,301,167 1.08M/s ETA 00:00

12:57:55 (725.52 KB/s) - `CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz' saved [4301167/4301167]

extracting it
COPYING
README
z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh
repairing nessessary shell script
Password:
extracting the contents of installer
globals.tcl
install
lexinstall
lexinstall.tcl
license
setup.tcl
testpage
usb.tcl
xlexinstall
xlexinstall.tcl
z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm
z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
coverting rpm packets to tgz
Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package z600cups: postinst postrm preinst
Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
z600cups-1.0.tgz generated
Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package z600llpddk: postinst postrm preinst prerm
Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
z600llpddk-2.0.tgz generated
extracting tgz and puting the files in their right places
./
./usr/
./usr/include/
./usr/include/lexmark/
./usr/include/lexmark/alignmentdata.h
./usr/include/lexmark/cartridgemanager.h
./usr/include/lexmark/cartridgeuserinterface.h
./usr/include/lexmark/cleaningdata.h
./usr/include/lexmark/clock.h
./usr/include/lexmark/errorcommunicator.h
./usr/include/lexmark/linuxinkjetprinter.h
./usr/include/lexmark/mediamanager.h
./usr/include/lexmark/portmonitor.h
./usr/include/lexmark/printerdevice.h
./usr/include/lexmark/printjobmanager.h
./usr/lib/
./usr/lib/liblexprinter.a
./usr/lib/liblexprinter.la
./usr/lib/liblexprinter.so.0.0.0
./usr/lib/liblexprintjob.a
./usr/lib/liblexprintjob.la
./usr/lib/liblexprintjob.so.0.0.0
./usr/lib/liblexz600core.a
./usr/lib/liblexz600core.la
./usr/lib/liblexz600core.so.0.0.0
./usr/local/
./usr/local/z600llpddk/
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/bnsi1.lut
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/bnsi2.lut
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/bnsi3.lut
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/lxbcalgn.out
./usr/local/z600llpddk/utility/lxbccln.out
./
./usr/
./usr/lib/
./usr/lib/cups/
./usr/lib/cups/backend/
./usr/lib/cups/backend/z600
./usr/lib/cups/filter/
./usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz600
./usr/share/
./usr/share/cups/
./usr/share/cups/model/
./usr/share/cups/model/Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.gz
finding required libs
unzipping the ppd
restarting cups daemon
checking back end
all done :)
test it by running ./z600
output should look similar to:
direct z600:/dev/usb/lp0 Lexmark Lexmark Z600 Series Lexmark Printer
sh4d3z@nix-machine:~$ ./z600
bash: ./z600: No such file or directory
sh4d3z@nix-machine:~$ cd /usr/lib/cups/backend
sh4d3z@nix-machine:/usr/lib/cups/backend$
sh4d3z@nix-machine:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
direct z600:/dev/usblp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z700-P700 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

this worked fine on dapper, but not so great on edgy... it just sits there like a friggin' tard when i try to print test page
i'm using a z705... we'll see what i can do later, i've been in front of this machine way too long and needa break before i resort to using sledgehammer to fix the problem lol

eschatologicalhumor
February 13th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Using Edgy.
I have a Lexmark Z715 and followed all of the Howto as given by Black Hole Sun and everything
went fine but when I rebooted and tried to add the new printer in the Gnome printer Cups
system the z600 wasn't listed.
Can anyone help. What could I have missed.

First thought would be that you're attempting to use a z600 driver with a z715 printer. I have a z515 myself, but my assumption would be that the z600 driver works with all 'previous' printers of the z family, and my personal opinion is that any z driver should suffice for any z family printer, unfortunately Lexmark isn't as yet that thorough in offering drivers for all of their printer models.

Also, I had the same problem finding the driver on my harddrive, so try looking in /usr/share/cups/model after you complete the tutorial. In that folder there will be a .tar.gz with the name Lexmark-z600-lxz600cj.cups somethingorother. Right click and extract it to that folder and it will turn it into a .ppd. That's the driver you use in the printer setup.

Hope that helps. I'm a newbie myself, so I have no problem batting back and forth with solutions.

divali
February 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Holy crap!
It worked. A million thankyou's.
I could rain kisses down upon your cherubic upturned face.

Wight_Rhino
February 14th, 2007, 01:20 AM
I got a Lexmar 1270 given to me as a gift by people who wouldn't know that I used Linux and there might be compatibility problems.

Long story short you got it working. Thankyou.

I'm applying to The Vatican to have you Canonised.:guitar:

ssavelan
February 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Indeed, the original instructions by Black Hole Sun were close in my case.

I have xubuntu, which shouldn't be that different. Like many users, I had to direct the printer GUI (whatever I have with xfce) to the .ppd in the

/usr/share/cups/model/

directory. The z600 driver failed to come up under the Lexmark section in the GUI. No biggy.

I told the GUI to print a test page and it looks beautiful.

I have set this driver a few times with ubuntu and now with xubuntu. It works really well for my z615 and doesn't ever insist on calibrating like windows does which is an annoying waste of time and ink.

Everyone, good luck with your printer issues, keep the faith. I almost had an emergency meltdown when my old instructions from "the fine bush people of south africa" ended up being outdated. Thanks everyone for taking the time out to keep the z600 ubuntu alive):P ):P ):P

tchslemur
February 22nd, 2007, 04:26 AM
i got to the part where you move the package to the lexmark folder and this is what i got

i have already downloaded the file and it is on my desktop and i checked to see if it was the name and they were the same

can you help

karlosfandango64
February 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Hi. I'm new to Ubuntu as of today, but not entirely to Linux. I've run through all these instructions and despite having the usbfs mounted, and restarting cups I still get no output from /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600. Can you help? I am running ubuntu 6.10 on an IBM ThinkPad T21 laptop, in a docking station, with a Lexmark X1130 connected via the USB port on the docking station. Thanks. Karl.

swa2b41
February 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Help... I've been trying and trying to follow the directions from page one of this post and I keep getting the following error:

tar: CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

What am I doing wrong? I've downloaded the driver and put it in folder on my desktop called lexmark, I've put it on my desk top and nothing...

Please help me.... I am very new to all of this... :confused:

karlosfandango64
February 28th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hi. I'm new to Ubuntu as of today, but not entirely to Linux. I've run through all these instructions and despite having the usbfs mounted, and restarting cups I still get no output from /usr/lib/cups/backend/z600. Can you help? I am running ubuntu 6.10 on an IBM ThinkPad T21 laptop, in a docking station, with a Lexmark X1130 connected via the USB port on the docking station. Thanks. Karl.

Well. It looks like this problem was down to the USB port. I hope this helps all the others who had this problem. I unplugged the printer's USB cable from the docking station USB port and plugged it into one of the ports on the PCMCIA USB2 card I have installed, also in the docking station, and then I got the required output from running z600.

After that I was able to install the printer OK, although it did seem to take a couple of attempts before I could see the z600 driver in the list of Lexmark drivers in the printer config wizard. Also, the first time I added it, with a customized name, it didn't show up. When I tried to add it again and just accepted the default name, it was fine.

Thanks & I hope this helps someone.

pmgordon
March 3rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
Worked Perfectly with a x1150 over smb.

starcraft.man
March 8th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I got and understood everything till the USB thing. After using all the terminal commands I confirmed that my USB was detecting my Z65. I think I messed up at the part where you have to add it in the gnome control panel for printers... I picked the z65 from the detected column and then pushed next and pointed the driver installer to the Z600 driver in /usr/share/cups/model and clicked through and it installed, but when I do a test page the que pauses the print job and won't print even if I push resume. Did I do something wrong?

LMelior
March 12th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Wow, works with my Lexmark X1270, excellent stuff!

Note to several members of this thread (if they're still around) - if your printer is already on the list when you go to System>Administration>Printing (that's in 6.06), try that first!!!

Also, to swa2b41, in the instructions it gives an optional line to move the downloaded tar.gz file to the newly created lexmark folder. If you did that line, you have to do:

cd lexmark

right afterwards so you can start working with the files from that directory.

One last hint to avoid spelling mistakes, when you get to long confusing names, type the first letter or two and hit <TAB>, or just highlight the individual commands on the first page, bring up your terminal window and click your mouse wheel (the wonderful copy and paste method that I always miss when I'm in Windows).

Seiti
March 19th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Nice tutorial!
It did make my Z645 works under Ubuntu Edgy. But I had to give the PPD file path, when asked by printing dialogs, to make the z600 model available on the items list.

doctrdev
March 20th, 2007, 05:13 AM
UG!! PLEASE HELP

I followed the instructions to the LETTER! NOTHING but error messages.. and why does it ask me for a password? I am already logged in as an administrator...

devin@devin-desktop:~$ mkdir lexmark
devin@devin-desktop:~$ mv CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz lexmark #
devin@devin-desktop:~$ tar -xvzf CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz #
tar: CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
devin@devin-desktop:~$ tail -n +143 z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh > install.tar.gz #
tail: cannot open `z600cups-1.0-1.gz.sh' for reading: No such file or directory
devin@devin-desktop:~$ tar -xvzf install.tar.gz #

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 1
devin@devin-desktop:~$ alien -t z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm #
devin@devin-desktop:~$ alien -t z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm #
devin@devin-desktop:~$ sudo tar xvzf z600llpddk-2.0.tgz -C / #
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:

Mickus
March 22nd, 2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks, works perfectly with my X1110. Could not at first find the new installed z600 driver.Found it finally in: /usr/share/cups/model :)

Feenix3k
March 24th, 2007, 08:50 PM
I found that my Dell A920 will work in 6.06 using these instructions

I never could get it to work in 6.10, so I went back to 6.06

gnat79
March 25th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Hi,

I have followed all the directions to the part where I run ./z600. I get no output. I have mounted usbfs as shown, and that still doesn't change it. Can anyone suggest more ideas? Thanks

Fleetness
April 5th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I had a little different setup, I was connecting to a Lexmark 510 series printer attached to a windows XP box on my home network.

This howto works to the point where you try to use System/Administration/Printers to setup the printer. It would never show the driver and if you tried to install it, it would say that it was already installed.

I got some help from this post http://www.aquarionics.com/article/name/Making_the_Lexmark_Z515_work_under_Debian_Linux

The default printer utility doesn't allow you to setup the printer. You can set it up by connecting to http://localhost:631 and using the web admin interface to setup your printer. I set mine up to connect to the printer using smb://WindowsXPcomputerName/PrinterName
as the URI and then choosing the z600 driver in /usr/share/cups/model directory. This set the printer up and I could then print to it.

The default Gnome printer utility is a little brain dead and never shows the new printer driver or allows you to manually choose it. Using the Cups web admin interface gives you much better control and selection in setting the printer up correctly under Feisty Fawn Beta.

So to use this howto under Edgy or Feisty, follow it till the end and Don't try to use the Gnome printer setup utility, Use the Cups web interface at the end of the tutorial by connecting to http:/localhost:631 to do the final configuration after you have the z600 driver installed.

trigggl
April 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
For those who are still getting the scanner to work for a X1100 series AIO, this is the small step that often gets left out. The standard setup for sane looks for the scanner at /dev/usb/scanner0. The answer that I always find for this is don't use udev. What?!

It's such an easy fix once someone actually takes the time to put out there. Sane looks for the scanner based on the config file for the scanner in /etc/sane.d/lexmark.conf. Guess what that file says:

/dev/usb/scanner0

So, I assume that's where the scanner is supposed to be. No. To find out where the scanner really is, look in the file /etc/sane.d/hotplug/libsane.db.

In there, you will see that the X1100 scanners are at:

0x043d 0x007c

To make a long story short, your /etc/sane.d/lexmark.conf file (or wherever Ubuntu puts it, I run Debian) should have this one line in it:

usb 0x043d 0x007c

So, to repeat. Here's what I did.

$su
Password:
#vi /etc/sane.d/lexmark.conf

Then I deleted the line that reads "usb /dev/usb/scanner0" by hitting "dd", type "i" to insert, typed in the line above, hit escape to get out of insert mode and typed in ":wq".

Then just make sure you exit out of root before trying scanimage or xsane or anything.

For some reason my X1150 still won't scan, but it does something to let me know Debian found it.

I guess it's more appropriate to say that usb 0x043d 0x007c is what the vendor code for the scanner is. Linux will find it based off of you telling it what the vendor ID is even though it already knows that something with the ID of 0x043d 0x007c is connected to it.

Scanner access now easy.

Edit: If you don't want to look through config files, the vendor ID can be located with "lsusb -v". Of course that produces a rather large output and there's more than one ID on the X1100.

herbster
April 10th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Ok. I tried all of that already. The way you have it laid out but once i get to the part you extract it using the tail command everything just fails. Can you help me? Maybe tell me why my Lexmark X1185 isnt working?

Yeah, I get lots of really funky, wierdo output when I run the tail command, it just keeps going, I don't know what to do. Someone help??

BHelts
April 12th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Thank you very much. I got my Lexmark x1150 that is connected to my wife's xp box working across the wireless. I too had to manually install the .ppd to get z600 on the list, but once that happened it worked perfectly. Thanks again.

mohanjith
April 14th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I had trouble downloading the archive from Lexmark. I maged to download from opendrivers.com

So I decided to host the 2 rpms my self.

Here are the links

http://www.mohanjith.net/downloads/drivers/printers/lexmark/z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm

http://www.mohanjith.net/downloads/drivers/printers/lexmark/z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm
(http://www.mohanjith.net/downloads/drivers/printers/lexmark/z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm)

Hope this helps.

ssavelan
April 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Great Howto. Bravo. Thanks a lot.

THEBIGEYE
April 20th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Help i had my Lexmark x1100 USB printer with the z600 driver installed and working in edgy I386
I've just upgraded to feisty fawn AMD64 installed driver in exactly the same way can select printer but when i try to print a test page
it just says job stopped anyone have a solution is this to do with the 64 bit architecture could i install 32 bit cups would this work?
any ideas would be greatly appeacated

transactionlogfiller
April 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM
I'm having the same problem after going from 32bit edgy to 64bit feisty. My Lexmark z615 installs but will not print.

Drk_Guy
April 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Hey, this doesn't work on 32-Bits Feisty either, i have a Z605

THEBIGEYE
April 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
i think i have found a AMD64 workaround but its for gentoo could anyone have a look see if it is and poss translate for ubuntu sorry i hav enever used gentoo so i can t see what the commands how they relate to ubuntu cheers http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Lexmark_Printers

josno
April 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Hey, this doesn't work on 32-Bits Feisty either, i have a Z605
I have the same model and managed to get it working in Feisty. I followed the instructions, and then just had to select the PPD file when it came to choosing the driver (by clicking on the 'Install driver' button or whatever it is).

THEBIGEYE
April 23rd, 2007, 09:37 AM
jonso i can get it to work on 32 bit arch but no 64 bit can u get it on 64 bit
if so how im really stuck

josno
April 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
Sorry, I gave up on amd64 just because of things like this :S I don't have the technical know-how to translate that Gentoo stuff either.

kevdog
April 24th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I bet I already know the answer but I cant seem to get the Lexmark X6150 to work despite installing the z55 driver as someone recommended. I sent a test page that took 10 minutes and nothing was printed. Ive searched the internet and it seems this printer might be a dud as far as getting it to work. Any driver suggestion I could try???

Sycrat
April 25th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks mate, thanks HEAPS, I got my x5150 working through LAN with your help :D. Good job and good luck to everyone else.

~Aaron Blair

kgriffin
April 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hi there,

I followed all the steps,

When I go to System -> Administration - Printing

and Add a new printer

It says use a detected printer

Lexmark Lexmark Z65

Woohoo!

When I go on to select a driver, the z65 nor z600 ones are there :S

any ideas?

Thanks
Kev

josno
April 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Have a look here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2518474#post2518474

kgriffin
April 26th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks I tried that, but nothing has come up in my Printers screen, I tried doing it again and it says it is already installed.

I tried printing something and just get "Error whilst printing"

Any more ideas? :)

revilodraw
April 27th, 2007, 03:28 PM
When i try to add a printer I cannot see z600 at all... but when i use z31 and/or z32 my printer will shoot paper out, but not print on it... any ideas?
I have a x1270..

offchance
April 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I basically cut'n'pasted the commands. the only trouble I ran into was installing alien [no big deal] and having to wait a few minutes for ./z600 to return any results. thanks for the tut!

DJiNN
May 3rd, 2007, 03:30 PM
Does anyone know of a way to get a Lexmark X5250 working on Xubuntu? Is there a PPD driver available anywhere or would i be better of getting an old WinMachine & just setting it up on the Network as a Print Server? It's for my partners machine. She's been using XP up until now, and i've just installed Xubuntu (Feisty) on it for her.... working great, even picked up the D-Link USB wifi stick (Which it wouldn't do when i tried a year or so ago) so i'm very pleased..... if i can just get this printer going then she'll be set & i'll have another converted Linux user!! :)

Any help or pointers much appreciated.

Thanks......

DJiNN

kenora_kid02
May 6th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Hey all! I'm new to the forums... fun and games..

Anyways, I don't suppose anyone knows how to get the scanner bit of a Lexmark X1185 to work, eh? I've tried XSANE, and it just stalls the scanner... a hideous "BRRRRRR!" noise emanates from deep within the plastic heap. I also tried the GNOME Scanner Utility, but to no avail.. it just crashes.

From what I've seen in other Linux forums, the best way to fix the issue seems to be to just scrap the Lexmark.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight on the issue.

MJ

Also, using Ubuntu Edgy on this machine.

2whlgeezer
May 7th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Another newbie here. Followed the first post, went pretty well (had to install alien and had to sudo to restart cupsys), got to the end and got this-
usr1@desktop:/usr/lib/cups/backend$ ./z600
usr1@desktop:/usr/lib/cups/backend$

Using KDE desktop.

Tried to install printer anyway, found the nre z600 driver fine, went through install, test print comes up, reports test sent to printer OK, but nothing else. Suggestions?

Thanks

tatakae
May 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Hello. I'm trying to download the z600 driver from Lexmark's site but it is giving me a 404 error. I tried googling for the file but all sites point back to the Lexmark page. :(

Can anyone point me to a site that has the driver archived?

Thanks,
tatakae

johny 69
May 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM
hi
I just follow what was writen in first page and I have same problem as 2whlgeezer.
So if can anyone help us.............. please. Thank you.
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/smilies/eusa_wall.gif
Sorry ............. I use Kubuntu 7.04.................... and is my first linux system..............and I do not speak english wright.................. so be patient pls.

rputtagunta
May 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I bet I already know the answer but I cant seem to get the Lexmark X6150 to work despite installing the z55 driver as someone recommended. I sent a test page that took 10 minutes and nothing was printed. Ive searched the internet and it seems this printer might be a dud as far as getting it to work. Any driver suggestion I could try???

kevdog, I have the same EXACT printer and I couldn't get it to work. Wondering if you have had some success recently? Please let me know.

Thank you,
Rahul.

GremlinUK
May 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Have there been any developments on the Lexmark P4350 questions?

This is currently the only thing stopping me from switching from Windows XP on my laptop to Ubuntu 7.04!

Ta,
Gremlin

juniorsonny
May 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM
The download link on Lexmark's site for CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.GZ is a dead link. Please someone help me find the file!

mrfuzzemz
May 19th, 2007, 08:27 PM
The download link on Lexmark's site for CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.GZ is a dead link. Please someone help me find the file!

I, too, need this file. I confirm that it is down. Would anyone still have it and could maybe post it here?

Thanks so much!

sk8dork
May 20th, 2007, 07:46 PM
i was just trying to download the file too. the result, i've found, is that whoever is maintaining the lexmark site is an idiot.

note that the link on their site points to
http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.GZ (http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.GZ)

the actual file name is case sensitive and the correct file is
http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz (http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz)

happy downloading =)

mrfuzzemz
May 20th, 2007, 07:48 PM
i was just trying to download the file too. the result, i've found, is that whoever is maintaining the lexmark site is an idiot.

note that the link on their site points to
http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.GZ (http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.GZ)

the actual file name is case sensitive and the correct file is
http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz (http://www.downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz)

happy downloading =)

Haha. Well. This is excellent! Thanks, sk8!

resistfascism
May 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Just successfully printed a test page going by the directions in the original post.

Cut and paste worked fine, no additional tweaking of the commands given.

However, I did have trouble getting the initial tarball off lexmark's web site to get the process started. I don't know if they've taken the file off permanently, or it was just missing temporarily, but I kept getting a 404 error when I tried to download it.

I did find the file on this howto (http://www.staerk.de/thorsten/index.php/Set_up_a_Dell_A902_printer_with_SUSE_Linux)

The file can be downloaded directly by using this link:
http://downloaddelivery.com/srfilecache/CJLZ600LE-CUPS-1.0-1.TAR.gz

orentini
May 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM
works fine on feisty and Lexmark X1190.

Thank you.

Daniel15
June 3rd, 2007, 06:54 AM
This seems to work for my Lexmark X1150 on both Ubuntu Feisty and Debian Etch... Thanks! :D

I only encountered one problem - In the GNOME "New Printer" wizard, it did not display the Z600 driver. The solution to this is to open CUPS (go to http://localhost:631/ in your web browser), and add the driver via its "Add Printer" wizard. When you're prompted to choose a driver, click the "Browse" or "Choose" button next to the "Or Provide a PPD File:" field, and browse to /usr/share/cups/models/Lexmark-Z600-lxz600cj-cups.ppd.