PDA

View Full Version : how do distro's get all these mirrored download links?

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Hi guys. i am in a midst of starting my own distro and am wondering how distro's such as ubuntu get all these mirror download links? Even the small projects get them! I was wondering how they did it? Is it just finding someone that puts your iso on his/her or pulling strings to get some space on servers?

a12ctic
July 10th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Sorceforge

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 03:14 AM
they would give you more then 600 mb's of space?/??

Tomosaur
July 10th, 2007, 03:18 AM

600mb isn't considered an awful lot of space when you're talking about websites. They run off massive banks of servers and hard drives, so space is usually plenty.

smartboyathome
July 10th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Hi guys. i am in a midst of starting my own distro and am wondering how distro's such as ubuntu get all these mirror download links? Even the small projects get them! I was wondering how they did it? Is it just finding someone that puts your iso on his/her or pulling strings to get some space on servers?

If you don't mind me asking, what type of distro are you going to start? :)

bread eyes
July 10th, 2007, 03:27 AM

That's kind of a silly question so it's pretty hard to not give you an insulting answer.

Frak
July 10th, 2007, 03:31 AM
Only if its a VERY nice OS, I've tried 5 times for Sourceforge to give me space for my distro thats only 615MB in size, and was denied every time, because they said they couldn't spare wasted space.

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 03:35 AM
600mb isn't considered an awful lot of space when you're talking about websites. They run off massive banks of servers and hard drives, so space is usually plenty.

Space ya but if you distro gets popular i can't imagine the b/w costs. Also , ya it is a newb question , i appreciate that you didn't flame(i am talking to the guy that said it is hard not to give an insulting answer). Also , the distro i will start will be based on ubuntu and run kde 3.5.7 , with compiz-fusion , a great desktop theme , restricted format support and hopefully the latest kernel. Also , i see sourceforge isn't the only mirror site since there are 100s on ubuntu. Maybe you just email companies and ask them...

Frak
July 10th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Space ya but if you distro gets popular i can't imagine the b/w costs. Also , ya it is a newb question , i appreciate that you didn't flame(i am talking to the guy that said it is hard not to give an insulting answer). Also , the distro i will start will be based on ubuntu and run kde 3.5.7 , with compiz-fusion , a great desktop theme , restricted format support and hopefully the latest kernel. Also , i see sourceforge isn't the only mirror site since there are 100s on ubuntu. Maybe you just email companies and ask them...
OK, remember not to include "Ubuntu" in the name, Canonical's filing lawsuits against people using it without permission.

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM
wow i would never expect that . But ubuntu does have a large campaign and it would be a shame if users get confused over names. The name i will use is Kix OS. I plan to rival PClinuxOS! imagine a beutiful desktop with debian architecture(kubuntu is already out but i want to contribute to )

Frak
July 10th, 2007, 03:43 AM
I'd use it.

bread eyes
July 10th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Oh, how about using trackerless torrents?

Frak
July 10th, 2007, 03:49 AM
Or Host it via Tracked Torrent at Linuxtracker.org (http://www.linuxtracker.org)

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 03:55 AM
I will definitaly use a torrent but i am sure that my popularity will not hit an all time high like ubuntu's did :( thus torrents will be excrussiatingly slow.

Frak
July 10th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Thats why you kindly ask us to seed for you.
I'd do it, utilizes wasted bandwidth

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 03:58 AM
thanks for all the positive feedback guys! I will do as you said as soon as i release my OS

bread eyes
July 10th, 2007, 03:59 AM
I will definitely use a torrent but i am sure that my popularity will not hit an all time high like ubuntu's did :( thus torrents will be excruciatingly slow.

If this is about popularity then I don't think this you're using the right approach. Also, I don't get how you came to your conclusion. I'll seed It for you to.

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 04:01 AM
I don't quite understand what you said.... If you are asking me on how i came to the conclusion that torrents for a beginning distro will be slow , the anwser is that there wont be enough seeders..

wolfen69
July 10th, 2007, 05:12 AM
well, it takes 1 seed to start any torrent. and if it's good, it will grow.

bread eyes
July 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I don't quite understand what you said.... If you are asking me on how i came to the conclusion that torrents for a beginning distro will be slow , the anwser is that there wont be enough seeders..

Oh I see, you weren't very clear.

maniacmusician
July 10th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I was going to just leave this thread without saying anything, but I decided I probably shouldn't do that...I don't want to seem like I'm insulting your efforts or anything, but I need to say this.

I think it's really cool that you want to contribute, and we certainly need more people like that, but it kills me to see it go to relatively futile efforts. After reading your project description, I can't say that I see anything extraordinary in there that Kubuntu couldn't do. It's already getting restricted extras, and will eventually get the rest, too. I guess my frustration comes from seeing a lot of projects like this come and go without making any significant impact.

I hope you read this with an open mind, because I'm not trying to slam your idea. But think about it. What are you doing that Kubuntu can't do? Have you tried getting in touch with the Kubuntu devs to discuss the possibility of joining their development team? and are you willing to put hours, countless hours, into something that the Kubuntu team could accomplish much faster?

I would totally understand your drive to do this if you were planning a specific type of implementation or something different that the Kubuntu team doesn't want in their distro. Then, I would fully support your project as well. But as it is, it would be so much easier to join the Kubuntu team and start helping out there. I'm sure that they would appreciate the help, as long as you follow their development guidelines. john riddell would be a good person to get in touch with if you have questions about joining them.

If you're starting a distro just to try and achieve popularity, well; that wouldn't be a very good goal.

I think you have a lot of drive and are very enthusiastic, which is great. I would just hate it if your skill were to go to waste.

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
At some point , i agree with you but i gave a rather loose description(I will have different programs then kubuntu) . Kubuntu could do each one of those but it doesn't do it out of the box. Also , the system is more updated. And what are distro's anyways? They are selected programs added to the kernel. It is simply a choice.

---- If my efforts do o to waste , i will join the kubuntu team.