PDA

View Full Version : Request removal of unjustified infraction ...

TimelessRogue
July 9th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I hereby request that this infraction be expunged from my records on the grounds that no infraction occurred, as is witnessed by the response from PlatinumPlus, and thus no infraction was justified. Following are the series of PMs between PriceChild and me ...

Dear TimelessRogue,

You have received an infraction at Ubuntu Forums.

Reason: Insulted Other Member(s)
-------
Please play nice.

I'd also ask you edit that line out.
-------

This infraction is worth 1 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.

Original Post:

I would suggest, my friend, that you have a go at reading a bit about Ubuntu: it's story and the philosophy behind it ... there are plenty of books out there but one in particular is "The Official Ubuntu Book", forwarded by Mark Shuttleworth, the founder of Ubuntu. Include in your research the Community link here to the Ubuntu Story.

After all of that, if you still have questions about the Debian/Ubuntu relationship and the independent survival of either, come on back with your queries ... but to the proper forum, which would be "Absolute Beginner Talk" ...All the best,
Ubuntu Forums

This was in no way meant as an insult or offense to PlatinumPlus ... it was merely a suggestion that he/she understand a bit more about Ubuntu and then post to the proper forum, which in this case would indeed be "Absolute Beginner Talk", not the Gutsy Gibbon forum, since this forum is meant to be for Gutsy topics and questions.

From his/her subsequent posting, it would appear that indeed no offense was taken ...

And I always play nice and have never intentionally insulted any member of the Ubuntu (or any other) community ... but if indeed you feel the need to censor the post by removing it, which is essentially the result of editing out the lines you suggested, I will ...

So please let me know ...Absolute beginners forum is for technical help. The gutsy gibbon dev forum is for development discussion.

I'm keeping the infraction there, the request to remove the line also stands.

Pricey

Good morning, PriceChild ...

A brief note regarding your registering an infraction against my account: here is the response from PlatinumPlus after I sent a PM apologizing for any offense that may have been taken by him, since none was intended ...

<quote>Hi Timeless

I was no offended by your response. I actually realised that I had posted without reading much on the Debian/Ubuntu relationship and the posting from Mark, I read about 2 yrs ago and had forgotten all about it. I am coming from a Kanotix/sidux background and I was not sure why Ubuntu has more of a snapshot relationship with Debian unlike sidux which is more of a rolling release. Previously I used Arch, slackware (current) and Pardus which are fairly rolling releases and I guess it's something some folks would want on a desktop but not on a server.

Do not hesitate to point out things to me as I am usually at work (on windows) and get limited time on Linux but am willing to understand as much as I can in the little time I have.

Thanks</quote>

In light of this, I hereby request that you remove the infraction ...

Another point, if I may, is that I have never been impolite or not <q>played nice</q> on this or any other forum ...

TimelessRogueI would like to point out that this is only one point. It is in effect a warning and does not affect your forum access whatsoever.

I do not want to remove this infraction and the correct place to take this would be the Resolution Center.

Pricey

As you can see, no insults were hurled, no profanity was used, no personal negative references were sent ... only advice that was indeed accepted by PlatinumPlus in the vein that it was meant: a pointer in the right direction for more information about the Ubuntu concepts and philosophy and the Ubuntu/Debian relationship.

Thus, if no insult was taken by PlatinumPlus, no infraction occurred. In addition, there is no evidence that anyone else viewing the thread was insulted or offended by this post.

I was asked by PriceChild to remove the offending line ... which was not particularly definitive since there was more than one line in my response to the original post from PlatinumPlus ... and I did so even though, to my thinking anyway, it smacked of censorship. After removing ALL of the content of the post, I further corresponded with PriceChild to have the infraction removed, to which his response was that the infraction would remain in place ... oh, and that it had no particular value. After the negative response to my request, I reinserted the previously removed lines into my original post.

As I said in my PM to PriceChild, I have never insulted or defamed another member of these forums ... this can be verified by viewing all of my previous posts. But I must also say that if this sort of unjustified infraction is becoming the standard of the moderators, I must restrict myself to using the forums to glean information and "fix-its" and no longer participate actively in offering advise or suggestions.

Thank you for your attention to this matter ...

KiwiNZ
July 10th, 2007, 12:01 AM
I have looked at this . I find it difficult to agree that there was a breach of rules here .
I am going to therefore reverse the infraction

TimelessRogue
July 10th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Thank you very much for you prompt and just attention to this. I must say that I respect these forums and it's members too much to ever post any responses that would be taken as insults or other abuse, directly or by insinuation ... such activity is totally unjustified under any circumstances.

Again, thank you ...