PDA

View Full Version : Am I just a wimp or...

Mazza558
July 9th, 2007, 10:52 PM
...is Half-Life 2 actually pretty scary in parts?

I'm referring to the Ravensholme (sp) area with all the headcrabs, etc.

I've already completed the game once, but I don't ever remember it being scary at all. Maybe it's when I upgraded my graphics card, which let me crank up the settings to max and add HDR.

I'm sure the AI is improved, too. I climbed a ladder, and could hear the gutters rattling (the sign of those zombies that move fast and can climb). I got onto a ledge and went through a door, then closed it. I could hear them coming closer, and one of them tried to get through the door. I thought they were gone, but I heard some glass break in the distance. I turned round, and saw 3 of them charging towards me. Needless to say, that made me jump a bit.

Atomic Dog
July 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM
If HL2 is scary to you then don't play FEAR.

Mazza558
July 9th, 2007, 10:55 PM
If HL2 is scary to you then don't play FEAR.

Funnily enough, I played the demo a while back and didn't mind it at all. :-k

PriceChild
July 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I found FEAR really boring and rubbish in general...

bread eyes
July 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM
super wimp

Mazza558
July 9th, 2007, 10:59 PM
super wimp

Probably :)

Dunno how I wasn't affected the first time. :P

I used to have to play on a Radeon 9600, so that meant no realistic shadows or textures, no HDR, etc.

Tomosaur
July 10th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't say it's scary, just really tense. I can't run Half Life 2 perfectly, and it lags a little if there's lots going on. In Ravenholm, the fast zombies seem to jump all over the place (even more than they actually DO jump all over the place), so it gets pretty tense considering it's virtually impossible to aim. Much of the time I found myself running back to a low-detail area so that it was smooth enough to get a proper aim :P

a12ctic
July 10th, 2007, 12:51 AM
rofl. maybe a little scarry. nothing compared to fear/doom/etc.

bread eyes
July 10th, 2007, 12:56 AM
rofl. maybe a little scarry. nothing compared to fear/doom/etc.

I'd say that HL2 is scarier then doom 1-3.

samjh
July 10th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Scary isn't quite the right word. More like... creepy.

@trophy
July 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Yeah, FEAR was REDICULOUSLY boring. HL2 had some really good creepiness... and Doom3 had some "make you jump" moments. But there hasn't really been a truly scary game yet. Doom3 came the closest... they possibly could have done it if they hadn't overused the same tricks so much.

I'm still waiting for the first "I can't play it in the dark." title.

stepan2
July 10th, 2007, 08:03 PM
wimp. this reminds me of the time when me and my older sister went to those places where they try to scare you and she curled up into a ball after the first attempt to get you scared. I was laughing my *** of then. There were these guys in a dark room with plastic swords and as you were walking by they would violently wave the sword and scream

illu45
July 10th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'd say that HL2 is scarier then doom 1-3.

Agreed. Back when the games were new, I played the HL2 demo (with the Ravenholm level) and found it pretty scary. Then I played the Doom 3 demo a few weeks later, and found it quite tame by comparison. I still find the Ravenholm level a bit scary, although I'm not sure why. I guess its because in Doom, you always know that there will be monsters, whereas in HL 2 you're not really sure what to expect.

Polygon
July 10th, 2007, 08:29 PM
HL2 (original) doesnt support hdr

episode one does however

but yeah ravenholm was super scary when i first played it. I ran out of shotgun ammo and then i got swarmed by zombies and then those fast zombies started rushing me, im like AHHH DIE while im shooting at it with my pistol / smg

The sound really do it though. Your just walking around, and then you hear the fast zombie scream. your like "oh sh--" and then you look around frantically to see where its coming from and then it like drops down on you from like the roof and your like "aiiee!!!!"

doom 3 wasnt that scary...

and fear was not that scary. just random notises and stuff that made you look around to see what it was and stuff

but, if you think ravenholm was scary, check out EP1. there is a epic scene in that game that you would enjoy :D

tszanon
July 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Never played HL2...but doom3 scared me. Sometimes I caught myself thinking "I don't want to go there, something bad is about to happen". Yeah, try not to shoot yourself on the foot.

orange2k
July 10th, 2007, 09:11 PM
The atmosphere of HL2 is quite scary from the beginning on...the totalitarian state, the clean streets, the barriers, the soldiers...
But Ravenholm is no more scary than Duke Nukem 3d to me, I don`t know why, maybe Ive been exposed to too much of this stuff in the last two decades...
What scares me still are those spiders from Doom3, or spiders and mosquitos in general, gaaaah I want to kill them all.......

@trophy
July 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM
The atmosphere of HL2 is quite scary from the beginning on...the totalitarian state, the clean streets, the barriers, the soldiers...
But Ravenholm is no more scary than Duke Nukem 3d to me, I don`t know why, maybe Ive been exposed to too much of this stuff in the last two decades...
What scares me still are those spiders from Doom3, or spiders and mosquitos in general, gaaaah I want to kill them all.......

So the ridiculously fast moving black headcrabs in HL2 didn't scare you?

I remember the first time I saw them I screamed like a little girl, said "Oh, sh*t!" and started firing my shotgun in completely random directions hoping to take one down with me.

As you might have guessed... I also don't like spiders.

orange2k
July 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM
So the ridiculously fast moving black headcrabs in HL2 didn't scare you?

I remember the first time I saw them I screamed like a little girl, said "Oh, sh*t!" and started firing my shotgun in completely random directions hoping to take one down with me.

As you might have guessed... I also don't like spiders.

Yeah, those headcrabs ARE scary, I almost forgot, and they appear in Ravenholm at first. Ok I forgot about that.

But the whole atmosphere in Ravenholm, come on - whats so scary about that, besides the fact that the streets are abandoned, filled with body parts and booby traps...?

Dawn of the dead and Shaun of the dead are scarier than THAT!

How about Beneath A Steel Sky? I found that game to be scary at some parts in the end...