PDA

View Full Version : Our Mission & Plan.

Ek0nomik
July 9th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hello Fellow Wisconsinites,

I suppose part of this post is aimed specifically at uberushaximus, but some of it is also aimed at the whole Wisconsin Ubuntu Group.

uberushaximus: When do you plan on getting the domain? Who are you looking at for hosting? Do you want to have a thread where people can submit different design templates and share ideas for the website? Do we plan on having the website act as a strongly integrated part of the group or is it mostly for show and all the idea sharing and news gets put onto the Ubuntu Forums?

Do we have any ideas for what our first step as a group will be? I figure some of the start up work for the group would be better suited for the Summer than Winter when classes start up and again and some of our members perhaps get a little more busy. :)

uberushaximus
July 11th, 2007, 02:37 AM
When do you plan on getting the domain?
Well, I never got any real response from the owners, I'd have to talk to ubuntu-ohio for that

Who are you looking at for hosting?
Well, I hope someone would donate some bandwidth (canonical ubuntu-ohio, interested member, etc.)

Do you want to have a thread where people can submit different design templates and share ideas for the website?
Well, the original idea was to mostly copy the canonical/ubuntu-ohio/ubuntuforums design, but I wouldn't mind suggestions :)

Do we plan on having the website act as a strongly integrated part of the group or is it mostly for show and all the idea sharing and news gets put onto the Ubuntu Forums?
Hmm, maybe we can cross post, but I like the idea of a "portal" better, but that's just me

Do we have any ideas for what our first step as a group will be? I figure some of the start up work for the group would be better suited for the Summer than Winter when classes start up and again and some of our members perhaps get a little more busy. :)

Well, feel free to contact me on freenode, or jabber, or aim, or yahoo, or whatever, I don't know exactly where this group is going, as I just started the thing, ya know? :P I'd much prefer to talk one on one, or in #ubuntu-wisconsin about it. By the way, I tend to ignore most channels on freenode because they're often busy, highlight me (by saying my name) or PM me to get my attention :)

herteljt
July 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I think one of the primary goals of this group should be to find ways to allow non Ubuntu users to experience the operating system. My wife works at a local library and I was able to install Ubuntu and Edubuntu on two machines. The kids who go to the library like to play games on the system and quickly figured out how to use gnome. After I had setup the machines one of the kids playing on them said, "What is this? It isn't windows or mac." It brought a smile to my face to say the least and I chatted briefly with him about Ubuntu. If we can help users like him experience Ubuntu then I think they might be inclined to try it out on their own computers.

Ek0nomik
July 20th, 2007, 05:31 AM
I think one of the primary goals of this group should be to find ways to allow non Ubuntu users to experience the operating system. My wife works at a local library and I was able to install Ubuntu and Edubuntu on two machines. The kids who go to the library like to play games on the system and quickly figured out how to use gnome. After I had setup the machines one of the kids playing on them said, "What is this? It isn't windows or mac." It brought a smile to my face to say the least and I chatted briefly with him about Ubuntu. If we can help users like him experience Ubuntu then I think they might be inclined to try it out on their own computers.

Definitely. That's really cool that you were able to do that.

I tried to install Ubuntu on a machine at the University of Eau Claire Library, unfortunately they had it rigged up so the CD couldn't even be mounted.

What you are saying is exactly what we want to do, but what does everyone think is the best way to go about accomplishing it?

TH3_D0ct0R
July 21st, 2007, 07:05 AM
I tried to install Ubuntu on a machine at the University of Eau Claire Library, unfortunately they had it rigged up so the CD couldn't even be mounted.

yea i loaded the live cd on a school comp during my AP environmental science class but i didnt load it becuz our school IT guy was goin power crazy blocking everything watching everyones screens...so whatever i need to do i gladly turn off the wireless or unplugged the internet was kinda bad for things like this...but my nintendo emulator worked fine :P

sorry that was off topic yea i would be glad to help with anything such as promotion goes...basically just tell me what to do and remind me once and awhile and it'll be done likity split...

Ready for Orders

Th3 D0ct0R

herteljt
July 22nd, 2007, 06:11 AM
In my case I was able to install Ubuntu and Edubuntu because my wife works at the library and they had been given these two 'old' computers by the school district. It may be a matter of contacting a local library (or maybe an after school center?) and letting them know that you would be glad to install and maintain Ubuntu on an old PC. It all depends on the library, but from my experience small town libraries are easier to work with since they do not have an in house tech depart and don't know what to do with things like donated electronics. Anyway, this is just one idea that I am putting forward and I am sure there many other ways to get the word out. :)