PDA

View Full Version : Do we have any metalheads here? \m/

MetalMusicAddict
July 17th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Its always nice to find out what music people are into and Ive seen a thread for that. I was wondering though. How many of us are into metal?

I listen to lots of music but metal is my favorite. :)

I got into metal around '88 and have a large collection. Some of the bands I listen to now are:
-Pysopus
-Bleed The Sky
-Misery Index
-Chimaira
-The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
-The Agony Scene

I also cant wait for the new Slayer now that Lombardo is back.http://www.kerrazy-torrents.com/style_emoticons/default/BigLaughDevil.gif
Oh yea. Dont get into a big genre debate. If its heavy and you could kill people to it its metal. http://www.kerrazy-torrents.com/style_emoticons/default/vic.gif

cacofonix
July 17th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I listen to all sorts of music too but I keep coming back to metal :D

Some of my favourite bands are:
Rammstein
Early Metallica
Opeth
Pantera
Decapitated
Slayer
Soilwork
Omnium

smoon
July 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Even though I sometimes enjoy listening to stuff like Air or Boards of Canada I'm listening to metal as long as I can think. This is what I like most (in no particular order):
Slayer
Sepultura
Soulfly
In Flames
Children of Bodom
Machine Head

Mr. Electric Wizard
July 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Electric Wizard :)
Cathedral
Sloth
Starchild
YOB
Warhose
Melvins

I like it slow and heavy...

miscz
July 17th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Impaled Northern Moonforest (http://inm.necrobation.org/)! ...joking ;p

but seriously, my favourites are

Therion
Hollenthon
Finntroll
Falkenbach
Haggard
Tristania
Iron Maiden (classic ;))
Dream Theater (is that metal too? ;P)
Emperor (not everything but Prometheus is pure genious)

MetalMusicAddict
July 17th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Dream Theater (is that metal too? ;P)
Totally. Progressive, but yea. I have their bootleg of them doing the whole Master Of Puppets album. Its awesome. ;)

Quest-Master
July 17th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Hmm.. I like metal and rock, especially progressive stuff. These are the metal ones :)

Ayreon
Dream Theater/Liquid Tension Experiment
Pain of Salvation
Opeth
System of a Down (ok sometimes, a bit repetitive after a while)

farfargoth
July 17th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Abandon
Arch enemy
At the gates
Dark tranquillity
Dimmu borgir
Fear factory
Interlock
Iron maiden
Kovenant
Kreator
Meshuggah
Slayer
Susperia

and so on and so forth....

Stormy Eyes
July 18th, 2005, 01:14 AM
YO! Longhaired metalhead since 1991 here.

Hammerfall
Edguy
Iron Maiden
Iced Earth
Therion
Judas Priest
Jag Panzer
Jadis
Megadeth
Savatage
Blue Oyster Cult
Dream Theater
Nightwish
Symphony X
Blind Guardian
Mercyful Fate
King Diamond
Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
Ayreon
Pain of Salvation
Kamelot
Sonata Arctica
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Helloween
Angra
After Forever
Paradise Lost
Bruce Dickinson
Venom
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteen
Testament
Rhapsody
Manowar

Death to Linkin Park. Death to Limp Bizkit. Death to all so-called rock musicians who wouldn't know rock or metal if it fell in flames from the sky and CRUSHED THEM!

Kvark
July 18th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I listen to almost all kinds of music depending on my mood. Some of it is in the direction of rock or metal. To mention some examples from my CD collection...

Nightwish
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody
Freedom Call
Within Temptation
Evanescence
Stratovarius
Kotipelto
Phenomena

Mr. Electric Wizard
July 18th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Anybody got some Black Sabbath love?

MetalMusicAddict
July 18th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Anybody got some Black Sabbath love?
Totally sir. ;) You cant know where your going ... :)

Anyone have a new band/album that is awesome?

Ive been listening to Swarm of the Lotus's - "The Sirens of Silence"

Kinda sounds like Mastodon or Neurosis. Hometown guys. Little sludgy. Very awesome.

weasel fierce
July 19th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Im quite a metal head, though I have few clear preferences in the field. Right now, Im listening to a lot of At the gates

TravisNewman
July 19th, 2005, 03:38 AM
I have been a metalhead since I was 8. I'm now 23. The only metal out NOW that I like, however, is System of a Down. The rest of it is just crap. I love the early Megadeth and all Metallica (though you can hardly call their last few albums metal). Ozzy from the 70s is great. Sepultura rocked hard back in the day. If you could goth-type stuff as metal, then I love Manson, NIN, Godhead, Orgy, some Dope and Mudvayne.

But then again, my favorite bands of all time are Ben Folds (with or without the Five) and Cowboy Mouth (southern rock type stuff) so how much of a metalhead can I be? I'm just eclectic.

Mr. Electric Wizard
July 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Ozzy Sabbath, the group that spawned a whole genre. DOOM :)

At the Gates rocks!

Any of you guys ever hear of a group called Nailbomb? Kind of a Thrash band, with members of Seplutura and Fudge Tunnel. Pretty heavy...

j-rock
July 19th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Children of Bodom
Norther
Kalmah
Ohgr
Ministry
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Arch Enemy
Opeth
Metallica (when cliff was still here)
Megadeth
Satyricon
Samael
Dimmu Borgir
Cradle of Filth (sometimes)
Sinergy
Sunn O)))
Emperor

Glad to know we still have some metalheads around.

Mr. Electric Wizard
July 19th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Sunn O)))

Those guys are Great! :grin:

primeirocrime
July 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM
I'm not really metalhead but I enjoy some fast-paced and ear bleeding music

so

Napalm Death
Messhugah[???? is it written like this??]
Godflesh
God
Carcass
Cathedral
Black Sabbath
Helmet
Slayer
Painkiller

ok some f this bands aren't pure metal but then again nothing is pure.

Lunde
July 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Metal, Opera, Classical, anything ingeniously made...

Ark
Metalica
Mezmerize
Bach
Pavarotti
Tools
Lots more...

MetalMusicAddict
July 19th, 2005, 10:53 PM
"Sunn O)))"

I dont get 'em. I like some weird stuff. Some people use the term "noise" as a sub-genre of metal but from what I heard it really was just noise. Dont get me wrong, like what you like but I dont get it. :)

What about shows? You guys go? Get wasted and thrash about? :) I dont get wasted but I do thrash about.

Ants
July 20th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Loads of metal fans here, it seems! That's a good thing.

I like lots of stuff, but I'm no expert. I've developed a taste for 'Dillinger Escape Plan', 'The Bled', 'Every Time I Die' sorta stuff recently. But traditional stuff like Slayer is great. Two of my favourites over the years have been 'Entombed' ('cause I'm a big Hellacopters fan, to be honest) and 'Iron Monkey'.

MetalMusicAddict
July 20th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Loads of metal fans here, it seems! That's a good thing.

I like lots of stuff, but I'm no expert. I've developed a taste for 'Dillinger Escape Plan', 'The Bled', 'Every Time I Die' sorta stuff recently. But traditional stuff like Slayer is great. Two of my favourites over the years have been 'Entombed' ('cause I'm a big Hellacopters fan, to be honest) and 'Iron Monkey'.
Dude if you like "Dillinger Escape Plan" you should give The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza (http://www.tonydanzatapdanceextravaganza.net/) and Psyopus (http://psyopus.com/) a look. Both links have music samples. ;)

Mr. Electric Wizard
July 20th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Yeah, Dillinger Escape Plan is pretty great!
There's another group called Spazz that is pretty sweet too, in a psychotic kind of way!
Sunn O))), I think, is heavy, for heavy's sake. Basically Doom Metal without the drums, etc. You either love 'em or hate 'em...

Anybody like the more psychadelic metal, like Starchild, 35007, Liquid Sound Company, or Sgt. Sunshine?

Soulfly
July 20th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Nice thread! Lots of music here to try out.

Some of my favs:

Bolt Thrower
Metallica (not really "Load" and around that)
Slayer
Sepultura
Soulfly :-)
Arch Enemy
Rammstein
Pantera

MetalMusicAddict
August 27th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Anyone heard of "Pelican"? Really cool instrumental band. Kinda like Neurosis but less droning. Really good.

MetalMusicAddict
October 25th, 2005, 03:58 AM
How are the Metalheads doin? \m/

Bands for ya to check out:

Horse The Band
Breather Resist
Becoming The Archetype (killer Christian DeathMetal)
Nashville Suicide Mission

weasel fierce
October 25th, 2005, 06:04 AM
Lately, its been mostly indie metal. These days, its mainly black and death metal, as well as various melodeath bands.

To make a recommendation for some commercially available stuff, I'd say In Flames and At the gates

ember
October 25th, 2005, 09:43 AM
"Sunn O)))"
I dont get 'em. I like some weird stuff. Some people use the term "noise" as a sub-genre of metal but from what I heard it really was just noise. Dont get me wrong, like what you like but I dont get it. :)

Mhmm ... I wouldn't say, Noise is a subgenre of Metal, nevertheless it's very interesting music, aggresive, often minimalistic - I think I like it ;) ... anyone who likes Winterkälte, too?

Generally speaking it's mainly Metal for me, a bit of Neofolk, Gothic Rock and Classical too. At the moment mainly:

Nargaroth (Rasluka - Part II, Geliebte des Regens)
Lunar Aurora (Mond)
Katatonia (Dance of December Souls)
Bathory (Twilight of the Gods)
November's Doom (The Pale Haunt Departure)
Amorphis (Black Winter Day)
Of the Wand and the Moon (Lucifer, Lost in Emptiness)

I guess there's a strong correlation between Metal and computer affiliation ;)

Best,
ember

raublekick
October 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Bands for ya to check out:

Horse The Band

\m/ I love HORSE the Band. THeir new album rips.

Other bands:
The ****ing Champs
Dillinger Escape Plan
Iron Maiden

Bands that might not be considered metal:
Faith No More
Tomahawk

it's too early to think of anymore right now

Master Shake
October 25th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Galactic Cowboys
Project 86
Living Sacrifice
Guardian

Would King's X be considered metal? They could rock, but then they couls do some great accoustic stuff.

Mr. Electric Wizard
October 25th, 2005, 04:32 PM
The ****ing Champs
Dillinger Escape Plan
Iron Maiden

Tomahawk

Hell Yeah!
Hey, have you heard The Thrones or Fantomas yet.
Those Melvins spinoff bands are pretty damn good!

I actually got to see the Melvins in like 1988, right about the time they went from fast to extremely slow! Great Show! Changed my life!

Mr. Electric Wizard
October 25th, 2005, 04:37 PM
The ****ing Champs
Dillinger Escape Plan
Iron Maiden

Tomahawk

Hell Yeah!

I actually got to see the Melvins in like 1988, right about the time they went from fast to extremely slow! Great Show! Changed my life!!

ygarl
October 25th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Metallica pre-89, plus St. Anger - stonking!
Pantera
Morbid Angel Pre-95
Vader
Paradise Lost new stuff (awesome new albumn!)
Napalm Death
Atrocity
Cradle of Filth
Emperor
Blue Oyster Cult
Slayer

raublekick
October 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Hell Yeah!

I actually got to see the Melvins in like 1988, right about the time they went from fast to extremely slow! Great Show! Changed my life!!

Never heard of the Thrones, but I love Fantomas. You say Melvin's spinoffs, I say Patton spinoffs:p

ygarl
October 25th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Dude that's alllll metal, but I think NIN is, as much as Motorhead or The Strokes.

Guess that means I'm eclectic too! LMAO

mstlyevil
October 25th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I have always thought Alice In Chains and Soundgarden were more Metal than Alternative. I love Metal but just do not have the time to keep up with the newer bands. Quiet Riot, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Ozzy, Motley Crue(before theater of pain),Metalica and Anthrax were real popular with us metal heads in high school back in the early and mid eighties. I did like the Seattle bands in the early nineties except for Perl Jam. But I was really into Pantera during this time period. My favorite current metal band is Black Label Society.

Sheinar
October 25th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Been a metalhead for quite a few years now.

Some of my favourite bands are:

Demilich
Heathen
Sigh (early)
Atheist
Nocturnus
Candlemass
Possessed
Incubus (The US Death/Thrash band who released God Died On His Knees.)
UneXpect
Winters Bane
Torture Squad
Boris
Pentagram (Chilean band)
Grave Digger

...and quite a lot more. I'll spare you though.

KLineD
October 25th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I was little when all the great metal bands where kickin, but these are what I mainly listen to:
Slayer
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Messugah
Judas Priest
Motley Crue
Pantera
Black Sabbath
Black Label Society
White Zombie and Rob Zombie too, why not.
and many more...

MetalMusicAddict
October 25th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Anyone heard any info on new Slayer? I cant find any.

LorenzoD
October 26th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Only metal band I've never stopped listening to: Slayer. Ever since I heard "Die by the Sword" on some early compilation album (I think it was Speed Kills). Only time I've seen them live though was in Stockholm during their "Divine Intervention" tour.

Mr. Electric Wizard
October 26th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Anyone heard any info on new Slayer? I cant find any.

I think "God Hates Us All" was their latest one. It's alright I guess, definately not as good as their old stuff.

majikstreet
October 27th, 2005, 11:15 PM
(I know this thread is kinda old but.....)

I just started listening to some.. Metallica-my mom loves them-, System of A Down, Trans-Siberian Orchestra (Which is really nice, since I like some of the original songs).......

Any recommendations? I have full access to gtk-gnutella :P

-m

Sheinar
October 27th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Any recommendations? I have full access to gtk-gnutella :P
Considering you like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I'd recommend checking out Savatage as well as newer Therion. For Thrash bands, I'd suggest checking out Heathen, early Annihilator, Metal Church and Xentrix and some random other bands I'd recommend would be Helloween, Gamma Ray, Helstar, earlier Iced Earth (Burnt Offerings and Night Of The Stormrider especially), Agent Steel, early Queensryche (their self-titled EP) and most Running Wild (though give their newer material a miss).

I would have recommended more, though I'm even more unsure that you'd enjoy them than I am about my current recommendations.

majikstreet
October 28th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Considering you like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, I'd recommend checking out Savatage as well as newer Therion. For Thrash bands, I'd suggest checking out Heathen, early Annihilator, Metal Church and Xentrix and some random other bands I'd recommend would be Helloween, Gamma Ray, Helstar, earlier Iced Earth (Burnt Offerings and Night Of The Stormrider especially), Agent Steel, early Queensryche (their self-titled EP) and most Running Wild (though give their newer material a miss).

I would have recommended more, though I'm even more unsure that you'd enjoy them than I am about my current recommendations.

Sheinar
October 28th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Thrash is a mix of Heavy Metal and old-school Hardcore Punk. Metallica's earlier material (up till around ...And Justice For All) was Thrash.

majikstreet
October 28th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Thrash is a mix of Heavy Metal and old-school Hardcore Punk. Metallica's earlier material (up till around ...And Justice For All) was Thrash.
Ahhh.... I'm really enjoying what I've downloaded so far :)

MetalMusicAddict
October 28th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Give Rumpelstiltskin Grinder (http://www.rumpelstiltskingrinder.com/) a look. Good Philladelphia Thrash.

KLineD
October 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM
I think "God Hates Us All" was their latest one. It's alright I guess, definately not as good as their old stuff.

When I came across the news that Lombardo was returning to Slayer I figured they would announce a new record. I'm still waiting.

alred
October 29th, 2005, 09:37 PM
had downloaded Rumpelstiltskin Grinder 2 tracks , not bad at all

talking about heavy metal , i quite confuse actually
for me , these might be are some of those "pure" heavy metal which i listern to (correct me if i'm wrong)

iron maiden
kiss
motley crue(i like their that "all black" album , cant remember the name)
megadeth
juda priest(??)

some of them are really good and "epic" like the [power slave] from iron maiden and [the creatures of the night]from kiss , in fact they are among the best , and for me personaly i dont really consider ac/dc , sabbath , dio and metalica heavy metal , infact those early soundgarden albums they are more heavy metal than "alternative" , some of my "alternative" friends they complain that they sound too "heavy metal" , thats really pissed me off some time :p

and this is a band which i came across few months back , they are very good and hardly get bored with their songs , the drive :: http://www.pahardcore.com/bands/bands.cfm?id=9420
"melodic" metal or alternative ?? i'm not too sure

MetalMusicAddict
October 29th, 2005, 09:50 PM
As long as you can bang your head to it who cares. \m/

darkmatter
October 29th, 2005, 09:54 PM
As long as you can bang your head to it who cares. \m/

Heh...no arguement here...

majikstreet
October 29th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Heh...no arguement here...
;)

alred
October 30th, 2005, 08:35 PM
QUOTE ::
"Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict
As long as you can bang your head to it who cares. \m/"

ha !! i like that , head banging
and sometimes wearing our hair long and go flies swallowing
the ubuntu experience
something like that ...

:p

Sheinar
January 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Is anyone going to see Finntroll on their 2006 tour? I wish they would add a few UK tour dates when they come to Europe. I feel left out. :(

zAo
January 8th, 2006, 10:20 PM
Guess where my nickname comes from :)

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Never been a big European metal fan but Finntroll was one Ive been meaning to check out.

Derek Djons
January 9th, 2006, 12:29 AM
I don't know if it's pure metal but bands I listen and appreciate are:

- Kittie
- The Dillenger Escape Plan
- Slayer
- Walls Of Jericho

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM
i listen to hardcore (real hardcore, not the fly-by-night new jack **** that pops up and lasts for 2 years)

as for metal, i dont listen to much metal, but i do like The Crown, At The Gates, The Haunted, and a few other bands here and there. Cryptopsy is good every once in a while for me

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Guess where my nickname comes from :)
not metal, or hardcore for that matter

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2006, 02:49 AM
What do you consider real hardcore these days? Not too many good new ones. I do like Comeback Kid alot.

Other than that the "Metalcore" scene peaked 2 years ago. There a couple of standouts but any new band just sounds like 100 others that came before.

Favorite bands now (regardless of genre):

HORSE: The Band
Psyopus
Death Cab For Cutie
Becoming The Archetype
Misery Index
Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
Swarm Of The Lotus
Pelican
Chimaira
Greyskul

JimmyJazz
January 9th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I like Black Sabbath alot

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 06:27 AM
What do you consider real hardcore these days? Not too many good new ones. I do like Comeback Kid alot.
blacklisted
the killer (not the killerS)
hoods

im not much a fan of comeback kid, but i am a huge fan of Figure Four. they arent really a band much anymore from what i know, but most of comeback kid was/is in figure four

Stormy Eyes
January 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM
If its heavy and you could kill people to it its metal.

Dude, I could kill people to Mozart -- I'd just use a rapier instead of a sledgehammer.

SteelValor
January 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
motley crue(i like their that "all black" album , cant remember the name)

Shout at the Devil

I like to mix it up with Pat Boone's Heavy Metal album

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you should see your expression!

Actually I listen stuff from the 80's through today. Right now I'm liking "Skid Row - Slave to Grind" and "Lacuna Coil"

rock freak
January 9th, 2006, 06:51 PM
we certainly do have a metalhead here among some of my favs atm is killswitch engage, motorhead(saw them last year), inflames(saw : motorhead), ramstein, megadeath, pantera!

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Dude, I could kill people to Mozart -- I'd just use a rapier instead of a sledgehammer.
The rapier and Mozart is for when you wanna be sophisticated about it. :)

And "sledgehammer" instantly brings to mind Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face".

Right now I'm liking "Skid Row - Slave to Grind"
I havnt heard that in years. \m/

Stormy Eyes
January 9th, 2006, 07:43 PM
The rapier and Mozart is for when you wanna be sophisticated about it. :)

Hey, sometimes I just wanna get my D'Artagnan on.

And "sledgehammer" instantly brings to mind Cannibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face".

What, no HammerFall?

Sheinar
January 9th, 2006, 07:47 PM
What, no HammerFall?
Usually the smell of anything cheesy brings to mind Hammerfall.

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I must be getting old because I just do not keep up with the latest metal bands anymore. I got turned off by a lot of the Nu-Metal bands that came out a few years ago. There were exceptions of course but it just might have to do with the fact I came of age during the Metal explosion of the late 70's to the mid 80's. I remember when I first heard Iron Maiden as a kid and the hair on the back of my kneck stood up. I saw Metalica with Ozzy in 86 on the Ultimate Sin/Master of Puppets tour and the same thing happened to me when Metalica started playing. Those were the days.

hillbilly
January 9th, 2006, 07:57 PM
I just got introduced to metal. And boy havent i missed something all these years. My bands

Metallica
Rob Zombie
Iron Maiden

And what is "pure metal" ?

Kurt Dodrill
January 9th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Noone here has mentioned Necrophagist?!

http://www.willowtip.com/mp3/necrophagist1.mp3

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I just got introduced to metal. And boy havent i missed something all these years. My bands

Metallica
Rob Zombie
Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden would be considered pure metal.

Sheinar
January 9th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I got turned off by a lot of the Nu-Metal bands that came out a few years ago.
I know how it is, though, there are many good modern proper Metal bands around. You should give Savage Circus and Ballistic a listen. You can get Ballistic's demo from here (http://www.gattismetal.com/ballistic/music.htm) if you do decide to check them out. I highly recommend Call Me Evil. And you can hear Savage Circus here (http://www.thomen.de/english.html). Similar to early Blind Guardian. Very good stuff.

Sheinar
January 9th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Well, the term "pure Metal" has mainly come about because of Nu-Metal and Metalcore/wannabe Hardcore that a lot of people believe is Metal. Pure Metal is the "proper" Metal sub-genres, like Heavy Metal, Doom Metal, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, etc.

That or sometimes people just use "Pure Metal" to mean classic Heavy Metal.

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2006, 08:17 PM
You cant go wrong with SLAYER.

Noone here has mentioned Necrophagist?!

Its so hard to mention all the bands. I gave up a long time ago collecting everything I could get my hands on. The internet has made it alot easier to find all the obscure bands out there though.

It used to be all word-of-mouth and flyers.

And "Metalcore" is more "Metal" now than it is hardcore or punk.

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I know how it is, though, there are many good modern proper Metal bands around. You should give Savage Circus and Ballistic a listen. You can get Ballistic's demo from here (http://www.gattismetal.com/ballistic/music.htm) if you do decide to check them out. I highly recommend Call Me Evil. And you can hear Savage Circus here (http://www.thomen.de/english.html). Similar to early Blind Guardian. Very good stuff.

Thanx, I will have to check out these bands a little more. They both sound like they have heavy Maiden and Priest influence.

Sheinar
January 9th, 2006, 08:25 PM
And "Metalcore" is more "Metal" now than it is hardcore or punk.
You're right. It's about as Punk as my ass-cheek. It's so far away from proper Hardcore it's not even funny. They think a few breakdowns and whiney vocals makes Hardcore. Though, I don't think I could call Metalcore Metal either. Even calling it a mix of Metal and Hardcore would be pushing it. Hardcore + Metal = Crossover. Now that's good stuff.

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 08:28 PM
I always thought myself that Motley Crue was more of a Punk band on it's first two albums Too Fast For Love and Shout At The Devil. Then they went to that Glam-Metal s**t in Theater of Pain.

Sheinar
January 9th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Edit: Oops, I quoted myself instead of editing my post.

Oh, that's something else people need to download. If they like Hardcore and Thrash that is. Cro-Mags. Their whole Age Of Quarrel album can be downloaded from their site here (http://www.cromags.com/music.html).

Mr. Electric Wizard
January 9th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Has anyone heard the new Goblin ****...
Ha, funny name, but a really good band nonetheless...
http://www.spin.com/features/band_of_the_day/2005/10/051024_goblin_****/

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Oh, that's something else people need to download. If they like Hardcore and Thrash that is. Cro-Mags. Their whole Age Of Quarrel album can be downloaded from their site here (http://www.cromags.com/music.html).
I respect the hell out of old-school bands like Cro-Mags but I could never get past their voice.

That was also my gripe with Black-Metal but I got over that. For the most part. Im still really picky about my "Black" bands.

I always thought myself that Motley Crue was more of a Punk band on it's first two albums Too Fast For Love and Shout At The Devil. Then they went to that Glam-Metal s**t in Theater of Pain.
I never thought about it but I think thats pretty true. Though, the start of metal was punk.

SteelValor
January 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Anyone play??

I've got a custom rebuilt Hamer 1982
EMG-81's
Tortext Yellow's
Blue Steel Custom Lights
My Rig
Rane 31band EQ
Digital Music Corp Ground Control & Patchbay
Rocktron Hush/Compressor
Digitech TSR-21 FX (dual cpu) (replaced a Soldano FX thingy)
Earnie Ball Volume (2) one for fx mix and one for volume
Mesa Triple Rectifier (the name implies ass kicking) - Black Leather
Mesa 4x4 Cabinet - Black Leather

I used to have have down to my bewbs, but shaved it all off about 8 years ago. (Edit: pics to follow when I get home)

My influences: George Lynch (Dokken), Warren DiMartini (Ratt), Akiro (Loudness), Jake E Lee/Zak Wylde (Ozzy)

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Anyone play??

I've got a custom rebuilt Hamer 1982
EMG-81's
Tortext Yellow's
Blue Steel Custom Lights
My Rig
Rane 31band EQ
Digital Music Corp Ground Control & Patchbay
Rocktron Hush/Compressor
Digitech TSR-21 FX (dual cpu) (replaced a Soldano FX thingy)
Earnie Ball Volume (2) one for fx mix and one for volume
Mesa Triple Rectifier (the name implies ass kicking) - Black Leather
Mesa 4x4 Cabinet - Black Leather

I used to have have down to my bewbs, but shaved it all off about 8 years ago.

My influences: George Lynch (Dokken), Warren DiMartini (Ratt), Akiro (Loudness), Jake E Lee/Zak Wylde (Ozzy)

No Randy Rhodes or Eddie Van-Halen? Garsh I thought they influenced everyone. (sarcasm) :p

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Oh yea. For anyone who doesnt know check out Beatallica (http://www.beatallica.org).

AWESOME Metallica/Beatles parody band. Also all the music is freely availiable in mp3 or FLAC. \m/

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 08:49 PM
You're right. It's about as Punk as my ass-cheek. It's so far away from proper Hardcore it's not even funny. They think a few breakdowns and whiney vocals makes Hardcore. Though, I don't think I could call Metalcore Metal either. Even calling it a mix of Metal and Hardcore would be pushing it. Hardcore + Metal = Crossover. Now that's good stuff.
to me, metalcore isnt even a word. metalcore isnt hardcore...and im not a metal guy but im pretty sure its not metal either, so i definitely agree with you. kids get off to calling things "something + core" and its all of a sudden a new revolution in music according to them.

the internet is to blame

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Well, the term "pure Metal" has mainly come about because of Nu-Metal and Metalcore/wannabe Hardcore that a lot of people believe is Metal. Pure Metal is the "proper" Metal sub-genres, like Heavy Metal, Doom Metal, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, etc.

That or sometimes people just use "Pure Metal" to mean classic Heavy Metal.
when i say "pure metal" i mean that its not hardcore and its not "metalcore" (which i just said doesnt really exist to me). i guess that isnt really much of a distinction, just a separator between non-metal and metal since lots of kids seem to think everything falls under, or ties to metal.

briancurtin
January 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I respect the hell out of old-school bands like Cro-Mags but I could never get past their voice.
great band, one of my favorites right here

Sheinar
January 9th, 2006, 08:59 PM
That's too bad. It took me a long while to get past a lot of Thrash vocals, but once I did, I haven't had any problems.

That was also my gripe with Black-Metal but I got over that. For the most part. Im still really picky about my "Black" bands.
I had that problem for a long time, still do if the vocals are too high pitched and screechy, though thankfully most good Black Metal bands don't do that so much. Though, I do listen to a lot of Thrashy old-school sounding Black Metal, so the vocals are mainly just dirtier sounding Thrash vocals.

the internet is to blame
Completely agreed. Misinformation spreads like wildfire on the internet and often becomes "fact" in the minds of a huge percentage of people.

mstlyevil
January 9th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Oh yea. For anyone who doesnt know check out Beatallica (http://www.beatallica.org).

AWESOME Metallica/Beatles parody band. Also all the music is freely availiable in mp3 or FLAC. \m/

I am Downloading it now. You know there might be a connection between the beatles and Metallica. Don't these two look related?

I wander if Paul is Lars real daddy? :rolleyes: ;) :p

MetalMusicAddict
January 9th, 2006, 09:17 PM
kids get off to calling things "something + core" and its all of a sudden a new revolution in music according to them.

the internet is to blame
This is something that has killed me for awhile. Genre debates never go well because they can be so opinion based.

I think the "core" thing is funny. I like the new one "Nintendo-core" used to describe HORSE: The Band.

In the end I dont care. If its heavy and gets me moving, rock on. ;)

Ha. Im listening to Slayer's "Hell Awaits" from Decade Of Aggression: Live. http://www.kerrazy-torrents.net/style_emoticons/default/headbang2.gif

SteelValor
January 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
No Randy Rhodes or Eddie Van-Halen? Garsh I thought they influenced everyone. (sarcasm) :p

lmao ... SMACK! ;D

MetalMusicAddict
January 11th, 2006, 04:19 AM
For anyone who likes Pantera see my sig.

Sheinar
January 11th, 2006, 05:03 AM
A long shot, but any fans of Winters Bane? I use "Winters Bane" to mean "everything up till when Tim Owens left", meaning their first album and nothing else.

DigitalDuality
January 11th, 2006, 05:22 AM
you can't go wrong with Opeth, almost anyone who loves music.. now i'm not talking about "i like good wholesome pop songs", but MUSIC.. instrumentalism. .. can enjoy some opeth. I know plenty of hippies and dead heads who love this band just as much as i know metal heads that do. They're ****en great.

Dimmu Borgir has always been a fav of mine.. they get cool points for programming in orchestra sounds in the keys. It works wonderfully.

Cradle of Filth i've recently gotten into. Not much for danny filth's vocals but alot of the female vocals and the strings incorporated in a multude of tracks is stellar. Gotta love the entire Nymphetamine album.

I wouldn't consider Machine Head, Rammstein, Melvins, System of a down and alot of bands listed in here as metal. Great bands, but they're just not metal.

MetalMusicAddict
January 11th, 2006, 05:47 AM
I wouldn't consider Machine Head metal.
Aww... Your gonna get in a fight with this one. :)

Sure, they had 2, weak, not-so metal albums but try and listen to "Through The Ashes Of Empires" (new one) and say its not metal. Complete bay-area thrash. Every bit as good as "Burn My Eyes" and "The More Things Change". \m/

DigitalDuality
January 11th, 2006, 05:51 AM
I'll give the new one a listen as i haven't heard it yet.. but i've always found them as some mish-mash of harcore-numetal-thrash.

Sheinar
January 11th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Burn My Eyes was basically half-paced Thrash and their second album was still somewhat Thrashy, though was pretty Nu-Metally as far as I remember. Everything else up to Through The Ashes Of Empires was definately not Metal though. I listened to their latest album quite a bit, but all I remember of it now is how extremely groove-sounding the guitaring was. I can remember it having some Thrash parts, but not many. I haven't listened to it in a long while though, so I guess I can't really say much about it.

Oh and about Opeth....I never liked them. They've always bored the pants off me. Akerfeldt has a pretty good voice though, I'll admit. I think he was better in Bloodbath. Still, I prefer Tagtgren on vocals, though the higher quality of production on the album he sang on certainly could have contributed to that.

DigitalDuality
January 11th, 2006, 06:26 AM
This will probably **** off some true metal heads due to members of slipknot, glassjaw.. and maybe even the Misfits presense on here.. but the Road Runner United disc has been in my cd changer now for the past couple of weeks and i definatley quite like it. Nice concept. I'm just happy Nickleback didn't contribute and i am still baffled to this day how they ended up on that label.

briancurtin
January 11th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I wouldn't consider System of a down as metal. Great bands, but they're just not metal.
correct on the not metal comment, incorrect on the great band comment

PsychoTrauma
January 11th, 2006, 06:35 AM
I enjoy bands like:

Marduk
Wyrd
Disbelief
Graveworm
Abigor
Anorexia Nervosa
Behemoth
Burzum
Dark Funeral
Dark Tranquility
nagelfar
naglfar
Septic Flesh

Beethoven and some opera.

I always think bands like megadeth sound more like classic rock than metal.

Soilent Green (grindcore) is pretty good.
Carnal Forge (thrash) is good as well.

I added the above seperate from my other list because they just don't hold a place in my heart like the others.

DigitalDuality
January 11th, 2006, 06:47 AM
correct on the not metal comment, incorrect on the great band comment
meh, the rapid change in vocal style and song speed/style appeals to the A.D.D. in me greatly. And i like their politics a great bit too.. but that's probably not best for me to get into. SOAD and Mindless self indulgence are what punk should've evolved into IMO..rather than this Good Charolette, Green Day, Blink 182 crap.

mstlyevil
January 11th, 2006, 08:48 AM
I always think bands like megadeth sound more like classic rock than metal.

Ok I have to say something here. I'm sorry but Megadeth may be classic metal but they were performing cutting edge metal when the members of many of the bands you listed were in diapers. So now you will probally say something like Black Sabbath sounded like rockabilly. True Metal will always be defined by Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and early Metallica. A lot of what they like to call "metal" today is not anywhere close to it. Just because some one plays a guitar fast or screams does not make it Metal. There is a basic pattern that all genres of metal follow and some of the so called Nu-Metal bands do not fit the bill. Punk is fast and furious with a lot of screaming at times but it is not metal. Metal also is not about how fast you can play but it is about attitude. Metal specifically explores the dark side of life and expresses that in the rythm. Megadeth does just that all too well so to equate it to Van-Halen status is an insult.

Worm_in_a_Box
January 11th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Metal? The GODS made Heavy Metal! And they saw that it was good! My favourite bands:
Sonata Arctica
Dream Theater
Slayer
Iced Earth
Blind Guardian
Ed Guy

MetalMusicAddict
January 11th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I'll give the new one a listen as i haven't heard it yet.. but i've always found them as some mish-mash of harcore-numetal-thrash.
I wont consede to them as a whole, being not metal. I was into metal when they came out and thats what they were at the time. Because current bands that are labled metal-core or whatever sound similar doesnt change what an older band is.

The 3 albums I cited are very metal. Especially the 1st 2. Slayer and Pantera had groove parts to their music and they are metal. Totally. I can give examples if you like. :)

Maybe the current generation should get over all this labeling and just rock out. ;)

ygarl
January 11th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Hello!

METALLLLLLLL!

My faves:

Metallica (pre-Black Albumn...)
Morbid Angel
Akercocke
Slayer
Atrocity
Opeth
Fear Factory
Emperor
Vader

Really gotten into new Akercocke recently. They just seem twisted AND talented to me... Anyone else?

PsychoTrauma
January 11th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Ok I have to say something here. I'm sorry but Megadeth may be classic metal but they were performing cutting edge metal when the members of many of the bands you listed were in diapers. So now you will probally say something like Black Sabbath sounded like rockabilly. True Metal will always be defined by Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and early Metallica. A lot of what they like to call "metal" today is not anywhere close to it. Just because some one plays a guitar fast or screams does not make it Metal. There is a basic pattern that all genres of metal follow and some of the so called Nu-Metal bands do not fit the bill. Punk is fast and furious with a lot of screaming at times but it is not metal. Metal also is not about how fast you can play but it is about attitude. Metal specifically explores the dark side of life and expresses that in the rythm. Megadeth does just that all too well so to equate it to Van-Halen status is an insult.

I agree with you saying a lot of the nu-metal bands dont fit the bill but my opinion still stands that bands like megadeth and metallica seem much more like classic rock than metal. I just think it's a difference in generations that make our opinions differ. I didn't mean to offend you just my opinion and nothing more (genres are always up for debate imho). I would also like to add most the bands I stated above are either black or death metal, none of it was nu-metal (to me nu-metal is bands like slipknot).

chimera
January 11th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, I like metal too. My favourite band is Laibach, here's my favourite song of theirs:

Geburt Einer Nation - Laibach
Ein Mensch, ein Ziel,
und eine Weisung.
Ein Herz, ein Geist,
nur eine Loesung.
Ein Brennen der Glut.
Ein Gott, Ein Leitbild.

Ein Fleisch, ein Blut,
ein wahrer Glaube.
Ein Ruf, ein Traum,
ein starker Wille
Gibt mir ein Leitbild.

Nicht falsch, nicht recht.
Ich sag' es dir das Schwarz
und Weiss is kein Beweis.
Nicht Tod, nicht Not.
Wir brauchen bloss
ein Leitbild fuer die Welt.

Ein Fleisch, ein Blut,
ein wahrer Glaube.
Eine Rasse und ein Traum,
ein starker Wille.

So recht mir eure Haende,
und gebt mir eure Herzen.
Ich warte.
Es gibt nur eine Richtung,
eine Erde und ein Volk.
Ein Leitbild.

Nicht Neid, nicht Streit.
Nur die Begeisterung.
Die ganze Nacht
feuren wir Einigung.

Ein Fleisch, ein Blut,
ein wahrer Glaube.
Ein Ruf, ein Traum,
ein starker Wille

Gebt mir eine Nacht.
Gebt mir einen Traum.
Nichts als das:
ein Mensch,
ein Mann,
ein Gedanke,
eine Nacht,
ein-mal.
(Jawohl.)
Nur gebt mir
gebt mir gebt mir
ein Leitbild.

Sheinar
January 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM
About the Metallica and Megadeth thing: They're early albums were both Thrash, but a good slice of their albums overall were Rock. I guess I can see why people might think even their earlier material was Rock, due to their material being pretty melodic when it came to Thrash. Early Annihilator was the same, as in their material was very melodic Thrash, but still Thrash none-the-less.

By the way, anyone like The Plasmatics? Or even remember them? Really catchy 80's Metal/Punk.

Thirsteh
January 11th, 2006, 04:11 PM
In Flames :)

DigitalDuality
January 11th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Dream Theater

I definately don't listen to them when i'm in the mood for "metal", but technically they are and a great band at that too. They're probably the only stoner-metal band i've truly gotten into.

Zodiac
January 11th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Man I have really been into old Iron Maiden lately... it's really inexplicable...

***Warning shamless plug***

Also, you can read my take on old school vs. new school metalheads at my website:

http://www.nicholasbattaglia.com/

It's fresh, new and edgy! It's fredgy!

Sheinar
January 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I definately don't agree with it being "bastardized" by branching off into so many sub-genres. And Satanist and Anti-Christian lyrics are extremely popular in Black Metal, both old and new. Actually, lyrics about Satan are pretty abundant and have been throughout the 80's, 90's and even now.

Though, it's definately true that the old-school metalhead image has been ruined. Though, most "new school" Metalheads don't really have a look, as most Metalheads nowadays just look like almost anyone else. (By "new school", I'm certainly not talking about these whiney bitchy Nu-Metal kiddies.)

Brynster
January 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I geuss i am a bit metal

Crumbsuckers
No Means No
Alice Donut
Butt Hole Surfers
Gay Bikers On Acid

Red Hot Chili Peppers (are they still classed as metal?)

Sheinar
January 11th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Crumbsuckers
Awesome Crossover band. <3

raublekick
January 11th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Anyone listen to Goblin ****? Those guys rip, and it's weird that the founder of Pinback is in that band...

Goblin **** MP3 and Music Video! (http://www.absolutelykosher.com/goblincock.html)

mstlyevil
January 11th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers (are they still classed as metal?)

Excuse *cough cough* choke choke* me. I need to catch my breath on this one. Red Hot Chili Peppers have never been or never will be metal. They were one of the first gay alternative bands. They could not be further from metal. Now if you would have said something like AIC and Soundgarden were metal, I could accept that since their influences were Sabbath and Led Zepplin. (We all know that there was no such thing as Grunge. It was a term to lump very different bands from Seattle into one category.) It is amazing how people mislabel bands. For example, AC/DC has been called a metal band for years. They are actually Blues Rock/Hard Rock. They have influenced metal to a degree and many metal fans are also AC/DC fans but they are not even close to being metal. If the Red Hot Chili Peppers are metal then Brittany Spears is Punk. :p

Zodiac
January 11th, 2006, 07:41 PM
I definately don't agree with it being "bastardized" by branching off into so many sub-genres. And Satanist and Anti-Christian lyrics are extremely popular in Black Metal, both old and new. Actually, lyrics about Satan are pretty abundant and have been throughout the 80's, 90's and even now.

Though, it's definately true that the old-school metalhead image has been ruined. Though, most "new school" Metalheads don't really have a look, as most Metalheads nowadays just look like almost anyone else. (By "new school", I'm certainly not talking about these whiney bitchy Nu-Metal kiddies.)

What I mean by bastardized is that the music became simultaneously accepted and unaccepted. When it became watered down and mainstream, most of the traits of Metalhead culture i.e. devil horns, double bass, moshing, etc., became accepted by mainstream culture, the elements that were not acceptable, i.e. Satanism fled to more brutish underground genres of metal like “Black Metal”.

To me this represented a weakening of the brand.

The fragmentation effect stopped people from associating with metal as it was except in an ironic fashion. (That's so metal!) Rahter, kids identified themselves with one of the spin-off genres. Metal became.... corny.

Newer bands would always have some of the traits of its forbearers, but never all of them, and they were always dependent upon what was selling and what was not.

mstlyevil
January 11th, 2006, 07:43 PM
What I mean by bastardized is that the music became simultaneously accepted and unaccepted. When it became watered down and mainstream, most of the traits of Metalhead culture i.e. devil horns, double bass, moshing, etc., became accepted by mainstream culture, the elements that were not acceptable, i.e. Satanism fled to more brutish underground genres of metal like “Black Metal”.

To me this represented a weakening of the brand.

The fragmentation effect stopped people from associating with metal as it was except in an ironic fashion. (That's so metal!) Rahter, kids identified themselves with one of the spin-off genres. Metal became.... corny.

Newer bands would always have some of the traits of its forbearers, but never all of them, and they were always dependent upon what was selling and what was not.

Nail on the head.

Sheinar
January 11th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Ah, I see. Sorry, misunderstood what you meant.

lisje
January 11th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I listen to all sorts of music, but at festivals or concerts I prefer metal the most.

Slayer
Nile
Behemoth
The Seventh
Staind
seem to be the ones I listen to the most at the moment..

Staind may not really belong there but it's what I listen to at the moment.

Mr. Electric Wizard
January 11th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Anyone listen to Goblin ****? Those guys rip, and it's weird that the founder of Pinback is in that band...

Goblin **** MP3 and Music Video! (http://www.absolutelykosher.com/goblincock.html)

Hee hee, check out my earlier post...
Yes, they do indeed rule!
I like it a lot!!!

Has anyone heard the new Goblin ****...
Ha, funny name, but a really good band nonetheless...
http://www.spin.com/features/band_of_the_day/2005/10/051024_goblin_****/

Stormy Eyes
January 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Excuse *cough cough* choke choke* me. I need to catch my breath on this one. Red Hot Chili Peppers have never been or never will be metal.

He's right. The RCHP wouldn't know heavy metal if it fell from the sky and crushed them. The same can be said for most popular American rock musicians who have gotten mainstream attention since 1990.

LoathRevolver
January 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention Strapping Young Lad (SYL) yet. That's kinda sad.

Zodiac
January 11th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Ah, I see. Sorry, misunderstood what you meant.

I wish you hadn't! That means my article was poorly written :(...

Next time I'll do it properly ;)!!

Spacecaptain
January 11th, 2006, 10:03 PM
my head makes *pling* when i knock it, since ever

there are just to many groups i like to list them all, so to all the classic listed before, i'll add some others:

Senser (check out the latest album, quite good again!)
Faith No More (gotta love Jizzlobber)
Mr. Bungle
Primus
Downset

and man, the White Stripes do a nice rock'n, maybe not that heavy, but still nice..

MetalAdict: thanx for posting Phil Anselmo's Interview by the way!

PsychoTrauma
January 12th, 2006, 06:01 AM
A good christian death metal band is Paramaecium for anyone who is put off by the satanic lyrics of most death metal. I'm athiest so the lyrics don't bother me any but I could see how they might bother someone who is christian.

briancurtin
January 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM
christian death metal band
no such thing.

Sheinar
January 12th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Paramaecium are a good one-man band from what I've heard of them, which is their first and latest album. Both sound very different from each other. Their first album was pretty catchy, but their latest took a lot to get into. They're/he's one of the few Death/Doom bands that I can actually enjoy, so that says a lot.

no such thing.
Certainly there is. If the music is Death Metal, then it's Death Metal, despite what the meaning of the lyrics are.

Brynster
January 12th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Excuse *cough cough* choke choke* me. I need to catch my breath on this one. Red Hot Chili Peppers have never been or never will be metal. They were one of the first gay alternative bands. They could not be further from metal. Now if you would have said something like AIC and Soundgarden were metal, I could accept that since their influences were Sabbath and Led Zepplin. (We all know that there was no such thing as Grunge. It was a term to lump very different bands from Seattle into one category.) It is amazing how people mislabel bands. For example, AC/DC has been called a metal band for years. They are actually Blues Rock/Hard Rock. They have influenced metal to a degree and many metal fans are also AC/DC fans but they are not even close to being metal. If the Red Hot Chili Peppers are metal then Brittany Spears is Punk. :p

Lol that answered that you thankyou.

BTW no offence taken

Alpha_toxic
January 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
I will not mention all classic metal and rock bands (Iron Maiden, AC/DC, early Metallica, DIO, Sabbath, Deep Purple...) that I like, cause they are too many :)
But some of the less well known (and more categorising):
Helloween
Rage (not Rage Against...)
In Flames
Sabbath without Ossy, especially Heaven and Hell (I know I'm gonna get flamed here :))
Nightwish
Amorphis
Kamelot
Pantera (only the first albym actually, it was more like heavy)
Static-X
System of a Down
Mike Oldfield, Vangelis, Enigma ;)

briancurtin
January 12th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Certainly there is. If the music is Death Metal, then it's Death Metal, despite what the meaning of the lyrics are.
...but the lyrics, ideas, theme, etc are included in "the music," and christianity has no place in any of those previous areas

im not bashing christians by saying they have no place, its just what i have gathered from countless threads over several years at the stereokiller boards (i call them pahardcore, its the original name and purpose). i dont think debates on the possibility of christian death metal have ever resulted in a win for christian death metal being possible. also, i dont even like death metal, or christian music, just providing what i know on the subject.

MetalMusicAddict
January 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM
no such thing.
I would keep more of an open-mind.

A good christian death metal band is Paramaecium for anyone who is put off by the satanic lyrics of most death metal. I'm athiest so the lyrics don't bother me any but I could see how they might bother someone who is christian.
Im exactly the same way. :) You TOTALLY need to check out Becoming The Archetype. Awesome Christan DM on SolidState.

If it sounds like DM, Im callin' it DM. Ive been around long enough to say what is and isnt. ;)

ember
January 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Ah - finally someone who knows Paramecium. They are quite good. Have a look at Morphia, too, if you like them.

mstlyevil
January 12th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Lol that answered that you thankyou.

BTW no offence taken

Thanks for takeing my post in the spirit it was written in. I just wanted to make clear what metal is and isn't. BTW, Brittney Spears is great as long as she keeps her mouth shut and takes off her clothes. :D

Sheinar
January 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM
...but the lyrics, ideas, theme, etc are included in "the music," and christianity has no place in any of those previous areas

im not bashing christians by saying they have no place, its just what i have gathered from countless threads over several years at the stereokiller boards (i call them pahardcore, its the original name and purpose). i dont think debates on the possibility of christian death metal have ever resulted in a win for christian death metal being possible. also, i dont even like death metal, or christian music, just providing what i know on the subject.
I actually don't think I'd ever heard anyone say Christian Death Metal couldn't exist, despite being on many Metal forums over the years. I had heard it many times about Black Metal though. Most people who were against Christianity in Black Metal (though they were usually against Christianity in general) called it "Unblack Metal". Their arguement was that the "ideas" and "philosophy" were what made Black Metal, not the actual music. When I say the music, I mean the guitaring, the vocals, the drumming, the bass, keyboards perhaps, but not lyrics. I think it's a load of tripe, caused by elitist Black Metal fans who hate Christianity so much they feel dirty by having any Christian band associated with their sub-genre of music.

Anyway, Black Metal is the only sub-genre that I've seen like that. I've never seen it when it came to Death Metal, or any other sub-genre I can think of.

The Metal-Archives forum probably has the highest number of overly-elitist idiots you can find on the net, yet if you went on and asked what sub-genre Mortification fall in to, I don't think you'd get any response other than "Death Metal".

Stormy Eyes
January 12th, 2006, 07:50 PM
BTW, Brittney Spears is great as long as she keeps her mouth shut and takes off her clothes. :D

I'd rather the trollop kept her clothes on. There are better looking women out there, like Carla Gugino (the lesbian parole officer in Sin City).

chimera
January 12th, 2006, 09:41 PM
So, does anyone else here like Laibach? Does anyone even know them?:D

Mr. Electric Wizard
January 12th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Yah, take it to the "Industrial" forum...
Ha, J/K:p

chimera
January 12th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Yah, take it to the "Industrial" forum...
Ha, J/K:p

Are you saying Industrial ins't metal?

Mr. Electric Wizard
January 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Yes. Well, it didn't used to be metal.
I think the turning point was Ministry (psalm 69) and KMFDM (angst).
They all started to go off on that steril mechanical metal shite...
Only my 2 cents, not judging. Merely Opinion.

tonyisntcreative
January 12th, 2006, 10:12 PM
I guess you could call me a metalhead. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Willowtip bands (Gorod, Arsis, The Dying Light, etc.)

Um...I don't feel like making a list...but if you have Nicotine add me...
tonyisntcreative

Check out my shares...I have a pretty good selection I guess.

Sheinar
January 12th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Umm, yeah, Industrial isn't Metal. There are so called "Industrial Metal" bands, like Fear Factory, Red Harvest and Nailbomb, but all that is is just a lot of Industrial over the top. Like Fear Factory were, earlier on, Thrash/Death, Red Harvest are Black Metal and Nailbomb were Thrash, just they've got so much Industrial in their music, people end up calling it Industrial Metal. I'll admit Ministry did influence a lot of bands and did have a Metal edge to their music, but still, Industrial is seperate from Metal.

MetalMusicAddict
January 13th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I guess you could call me a metalhead. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Willowtip bands (Gorod, Arsis, The Dying Light, etc.)

Um...I don't feel like making a list...but if you have Nicotine add me...
tonyisntcreative

Check out my shares...I have a pretty good selection I guess.
Ahh... Willowtip. Very nice label. ;)

PsychoTrauma
January 15th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Just sampled Becoming The Archetype and found them rather good just a few things i'm not too interested in like the guitar solos. Though to be fair it's too early for me to say I like or dislike them since I only listened to the two songs on myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/becomingthearchetype

I will sample Morphia and write back about what I think of them.

MetalMusicAddict
January 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
You dont like guitar solos period or just theirs?

senkila
January 16th, 2006, 07:44 AM
\m/ >_< \m/ w00t metal!
...erm..yea, Although I wouldn't class myself as a hardcore metalist. I mostly sit in the corner of Power Metal. Some of my fav bands are as follows:-

1. Sonata Arctica
2. Nightwish ( not the best but still good)
3. Visions Of Atlantis
4. Iced Earth
5. Gamma Ray
6. Tristania
7. Savatage
9. Rhapsody ( not to be confused with Bohemien Rhapsody)
10. Blind Guardian
11. Pagan's Mind
12. Kamelot
13 Dragon Force
14. Demons & Wizards. (Which are just Blind Guardian and Iced Earth. mixed into a loverly, gooey ball of power metaliness)

Give them a try, go on....you know you want to...

PsychoTrauma
January 16th, 2006, 07:47 AM
You dont like guitar solos period or just theirs?

I don't mind guitar solos it's just that theirs throw the whole mood off for some reason.

KillMyBrain
September 12th, 2007, 04:41 AM
I like so many...I won't even bother putting them all here.

Metallica
Opeth
Dimmu Borgir
Jungle Rot
Mudvain
korn
Rob Zombie (psycho billy metal)
Slayer
Tool
Iron Maiden
Childeren of Bodom
Cradle of Filth
Eisregen
Edguy
Rammstein
Empyrium
Endart
Entombed

That's pretty much the metal part of me...

I like alot of grunge music (like nirvana and bush)

and alot of quirky gypsy goth rennaisance music like voltaire and Jason Webley...

I also like me some Tori...but none of this is metal...hahaha

WishingWell
September 12th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Its always nice to find out what music people are into and Ive seen a thread for that. I was wondering though. How many of us are into metal?

I listen to lots of music but metal is my favorite. :)

I got into metal around '88 and have a large collection. Some of the bands I listen to now are:
-Pysopus
-Bleed The Sky
-Misery Index
-Chimaira
-The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
-The Agony Scene

I also cant wait for the new Slayer now that Lombardo is back.http://www.kerrazy-torrents.com/style_emoticons/default/BigLaughDevil.gif
Oh yea. Dont get into a big genre debate. If its heavy and you could kill people to it its metal. http://www.kerrazy-torrents.com/style_emoticons/default/vic.gif

Old school here, Saxon, Quiet Riot, motorhead, Maiden, AC/DC, Slayer and Metallica.

So i guess you could call me a metal head without being dishonest. ;)

MetalMusicAddict
September 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Wow! Digging up an old thread here. :) \m/

justin whitaker
September 12th, 2007, 04:38 PM

For real. Been alot of that these past days. I guess people are actually using the search box for a change!

:)

To get my .02 in, I've been listening to the following:

Opeth
Mudvane
Killswitch Engage
System of a Down
and the New Ozzy lately.

Perfect Storm
September 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM

We have a necromancer among us. Be afraid :-P

LaRoza
September 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yes:

* Mayhem
* Darkthrone
* Immortal
* Burzum

Others, mainly Black Metal, some older thrash/speed and death.

blithen
September 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
WOW!
Metal is my life!
The Black Dahlia Muder
Dethklok
Heaven Shall Burn
Mnemic
Amon Amarth
As Blood Runs Black
Many, Many More

Freddy
September 12th, 2007, 09:38 PM
If anyone are into some good thrash metal, you got to listen to Swedish band The Haunted. They are from the capital city of metal, Gothenburg. God damn we have some good bands here, At the gates, Dark Tranquility, In Flames and a hole bunch more.

karellen
September 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM
my favorites are are:
Rammstein
Iron Maiden
Dimmu Borgir
Therion
Nightwish
Rhapsody
Lake of Tears

regomodo
September 12th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Metallica Trilogy
Bit of Megadeth
Slayer -Reign in Blood
ISIS
Tool
Sabbath
SOAD
Some Slipknot (can't listen to a whole album)
Deftones
Pantera

@WishingWell - i wouldn't really class AC/DC as metal

n3tfury
September 12th, 2007, 11:53 PM
i'm more old school metal. but metal till death!

Slayer
Cannibal Corpse
Celtic Frost
Helmet
Prong

to name a few.

Montsegur87
September 13th, 2007, 01:13 AM
nagel@nagel-desktop:/media/Audio$ ls
A Perfect Circle Genesis Manowar RahXephon
Black Sabbath Iron Maiden Megadeth Scorpions
Chrono Cross Judas Priest Tool
Deep Purple Live in Argentina Metallica Yes
Final Fantasy OST Pantera

I recommend Black Mages. Its Final Fantasy OST + Metal.

fflarex
September 13th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Opeth
Kamelot
Amorphis
Sonata Arctica
Therion
Katatonia
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theater
Orphaned Land
The Gathering
A Perfect Circle
Avenged Sevenfold
Anathema
Agalloch

Porcupine Tree and The Gathering are arguably not metal, but certainly fit in with the likes of Dream Theater and Opeth.

Anyone here who has not listened to Kamelot NEEDS to (and if you already have and didn't like it, try finding their newer stuff, as their last two releases have shown a very sudden maturity). I would say their drumming needs a tiny bit of work, but ignoring that I can think of very few people who could claim to like metal but not Kamelot.

altariel
September 13th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Mostly Power Metal for me :)

wersdaluv
September 13th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Wolfgang
Razorback
Dream Theater
Megadeth
Queensryche
Kamelot
Savatage
Iron Maiden
Rage Against the Machine

wersdaluv
September 13th, 2007, 11:11 AM
By the way, you may want to listen to this guy's music (http://ammerseechild.multiply.com/music/item/38/Mini_Albums_Singles).

He's not professional but is very very promising. Try the songs from his "Walk with Me in Hell" album if you really like heavy music.

notwen
September 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Disarmonia Mundi
Machine Head
Fear Factory
Deftones
Motograter
All That Remains
Ultraspank
Lo Pro
Devildriver
In Flames

currently leading in my most played top 10 artists. =]

use a name
September 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Only three year into metal. The ones I really like:

- Theocracy
- Saviour Machine

And occasionally:

- Epica
- Rhapsody
- Kamelot
- Van Canto (1 drummer, 5 singers, nothing else...)

These are the ones I really listen to.

Background metal:

- Seventh Avenue
- Rob Rock
- Harmony

macaz1
February 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM
pretty much black metal and some other variants

Mayhem
Immortal
Craft
Nargaroth
Gorgoroth
Mordhell
Satyricon
Cradle of Filth
Marduk
Bathory
Venom
Behemoth...

could go on for a while

NightwishFan
February 20th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I rock to pretty much the entire Finnish metal scene. I also like various bands like Hatebreed and lately I have been listening to the band Dethklok from the animated show Metalocalypse.

mrhippieguy
February 20th, 2010, 07:28 AM
HORSE the Band(although not exactly metal, still pretty heavy)
Megadeth
Ozzy
Metallica(older)
Dio
Kreator
Godsmack

used to have more, but the [censored for anti-inflammatory reasons] found my old music collection, and burned it.:(

Gallahhad
February 20th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Old school with some new school tastes.

-Judas Priest
-Metallica
-Iron Maiden
-Dio
-AC/DC
-Anthrax
-Ozzy(including Black Sabbath)
-Alice Cooper
-Megadeath