PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu vs Fedora vs OpenSuse

mai52
July 9th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Which is the best!? Why!?:guitar:

AlexenderReez
July 9th, 2007, 07:21 AM
:lolflag::lolflag: i'm sure there is high percentage ubuntu will win..because this is ubuntu forum...fedora will win in fedora forum...and Osuse will win in its forum.....

ubuntu is the fastest ...even in development...you can see at www.distrowatch.com .....when you click any distro...it will show you package that available in that specific distro.....compare it....

aysiu
July 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM
This isn't really a support request. It will probably just end up being discussion, especially since the question is open-ended. I've moved it to the Cafe.

~LoKe
July 9th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Seems like a biased poll, if you ask me...

Atomic Dog
July 9th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Slackware? Debian?

Wait! How about DSL?

mindtrick
July 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
What about PCLinuxOS?

forrestcupp
July 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
:lolflag::lolflag: i'm sure there is high percentage ubuntu will win..because this is ubuntu forum...fedora will win in fedora forum...and Osuse will win in its forum.....

ubuntu is the fastest ...even in development...you can see at www.distrowatch.com .....when you click any distro...it will show you package that available in that specific distro.....compare it....

That's exactly what I was thinking.

If you really want an answer to this, you need to ask this on an unbiased forum.

mai52
July 9th, 2007, 07:07 PM
What about PCLinuxOS?

I have been setting up a lot of PCLinuxOS in my computer just because the people who help me are Chinese and don't really understand how to set up a more complicate Linux machine. Acutally PCLinuxOS has a lot of bug in his gui and nothing special other than easy to install the whole set in a hard disk. Ubuntu is impressive and so safety after I test my server with X scan, but learning how to do all the set up with sudo and a lot of different setup comparing to other Linux are kind of painful for me now.:guitar:

Erunno
July 9th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Well, did my duty as patriot and voted for openSUSE. http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/images/smiles/icon_salut.gif

milen243
July 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Umm, this does seem like the most pointless poll I've seen in a long time.

Papi-KB7VGW
July 9th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Obviously I chose Ubuntu because it worked out of the box with my IPW3945. I spent 3 days trying to get Fedora 7 to work. Tried every bit of advise from their forum but it was a no go so I came back here. I don't know if Suse would work out of the box or not. :KS

ThinkBuntu
July 9th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm positively shocked by the poll results.

starcraft.man
July 9th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I'm positively shocked by the poll results.

LOL! Maybe all the Opensuse and Fedora users are just hiding? :p

igknighted
July 9th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Voted Fedora because while I am currently using OpenSuse, I do prefer Fedora as a more solid base. Ubuntu isn't anything to scoff at, but would come up third in this poll in my eyes due to a lack of finish (both in a technical sense and in an appearance sense). You cannot beat red hat/fedora's Yum as far as binary package managers go (plus Fedora 7 integrated a form of "bulletproof X"). Suse has some very neat technical tools (SLED menu, Yast config tools, etc.). Both Fedora and Suse are by far the prettiest/most professional looking distro's out of the box as well (compare the fedora boot splash to the Ubuntu boot splash... no comparisson).

Overall, you picked the three best desktop linux distro's IMO. PCLOS is a very close fourth, but still needs to mature a bit to be in this same league. Ranked:
1) Fedora
2) OpenSUSE
3) Ubuntu

lunamystry
July 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I voted UBUNTU after using openSUSE for two days I have returned to UBUNTU.

SunnyRabbiera
July 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM
there are many distros to try.
Out of the three you given in the title I would suggest Ubuntu, mainly because of its good packagement, updatability and ease of use.
Fedora is fair however I dont think YUM is as good as apt, plus its not good with dependencies in my mind.
OpenSuse is owned by microsoft thus nullifies it as a choice :p

man that never gets old for me.

anyhow there are a few others worth mentioning:

Sabayon linux: based on gentoo but very good for ease of use
Mepis: better for beginners in my opinion then ubuntu as it allows some proprietary stuff by default.
Linux Mint: promising and young distro based on ubuntu but I think its worth a spin.
Arch is pretty fair too.

Hex_Mandos
July 11th, 2007, 03:26 PM
OpenSuse is far too slow for me. Fedora looks nice, I'll probably try Fedora 7 sometime soon. For now, my vote goes to Ubuntu.

thoughtcriminal
September 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Gentoo is my favorite because it is wicked stable and unbelievably fast. Problem is, it takes forever to install anything. Not for noobs.

Billy_McBong
September 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
i have never tried OpenSuse and i like Ubuntu more than Fedora

karellen
September 22nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Which is the best!? Why!?:guitar:

explain "best"

karellen
September 22nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Voted Fedora because while I am currently using OpenSuse, I do prefer Fedora as a more solid base. Ubuntu isn't anything to scoff at, but would come up third in this poll in my eyes due to a lack of finish (both in a technical sense and in an appearance sense). You cannot beat red hat/fedora's Yum as far as binary package managers go (plus Fedora 7 integrated a form of "bulletproof X"). Suse has some very neat technical tools (SLED menu, Yast config tools, etc.). Both Fedora and Suse are by far the prettiest/most professional looking distro's out of the box as well (compare the fedora boot splash to the Ubuntu boot splash... no comparisson).

Overall, you picked the three best desktop linux distro's IMO. PCLOS is a very close fourth, but still needs to mature a bit to be in this same league. Ranked:
1) Fedora
2) OpenSUSE
3) Ubuntu

I happen to like Fedora too :). as for opensuse, I still find yast slow (it tooks forever to add, refresh software sources, it's not as good as synaptic at solving depedencies...). but yum is ok. anyway, Ubuntu is more user friendly out of the box, Fedora needs more tweaking for enabling multimedia codecs and so (not that I would mind)

starcraft.man
September 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
explain "best"

I think he means "best for you" as in the one you prefer if you had to pick amongst them. Can't say the poll results are shocking...

I've tried all 3 more recently and I still prefer Ubuntu. Fedora and OpenSUSE are nice and have extra features (like nicer menus, arguable) but I really don't need any of it, and I don't like either of their managers.

kish
September 22nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
I vote ubuntu.
The community seriously rocks ppl.
:guitar::guitar:

Caffeine_Junky
September 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
I say Ubuntu. I tried openSuse 10.2, it was good ..but I prefer Synaptic package manager.
Same for Fedora...

I started on Ubuntu back when 5.04 was released and fell in love with it!

gabhla
September 22nd, 2007, 11:50 PM
Given the choices offered, I voted Ubuntu. Actually, I'm using Kubuntu because I prefer KDE over Gnome. Was never able to get screen resolution to work consistently in Fedora and gave up as there's just too many viable distros that work perfectly with my hardware, such as Kubuntu. Suse was my first attempt at Linux and ended in complete frustration due to their yast update system - was just too much hassle.

Other distros I've used and liked....PCLOS & Mepis. PCLOS is as good and Kubuntu and Mepis is very underrated. Another good one, with Ubuntu roots is Linux Mint.

Bothered
September 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM
Highly biased poll ...

I've used all three and prefer ubuntu (obviously, as I'm here to post a response!).

Nebby
September 23rd, 2007, 12:05 AM
I'm gonna have to say Fedora. I love Ubuntu, but dual head just wasn't happening in it for me. I tried SUSE and it worked beautifully, but I really hated the way you install programs in it, so I tried an old Fedora livedisk I have laying around, and everything went lovely :)

thhjimmy
September 23rd, 2007, 04:05 AM
I vote for Ubuntu. Its more user friendly. The update much faster than Fedora. OpenSUSE is yet to try, downloaded the iso but problem installing. :popcorn:

Jim!
March 26th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Well... I'll just have to go with Ubuntu because apart from DSL Ubuntu is the only other distro I've had time to try so far......

pastormick
March 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM
In the beginning there was Red Hat... When Red Hat went enterprise, there was Fedora 1... then 2... then 3... 4... 5... 6... 7... and finally 8. After fighting with every release of Fedora to get the wireless in my laptop working (blasted stance on proprietary drivers...), I finally set aside my dislike of the color 'brown' and installed Ubuntu. Besides, I'd grown tired of blue and have an extreme dislike of flying - balloons make me queasy!

SUSE, of course, has it's own inherent problems - someone should take Yast out and shoot it; put us all out of our misery. Other than that, a great distro.

I have to confess that I am a very pragmatic computer user: I will use whatever happens to support my T61 the best and crashes the least. Thanks to the Linux partitioning system - typically /, /usr, and /home - there is little chance of wiping out any important stuff in my quest for the 'perfect system'. And a weekly backup doesn't hurt either.

So, that is the 'why'. As for 'best', I think the question is subject to whatever mood one happens to be in while paging through any of the major forums, or checking in with Distrowatch.

In fact, Fedora, Ubuntu, and OpenSUSE are all coming out with major releases shortly, actually within about seven days of each other. 'Best' will definitely get a run for its money then...

Mick

lunamystry
March 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I find the post about Debian rather not fair and with some not so true things said. My knowledge of ubuntu isn't all that good but didn't mark develop some software sold it made his money started some site without a name which later turned out to be the os my computer is running? And saying ubuntu developers just take doesn't sound fair. its linux for human beings which to me means those developers spend their time to make sure i dont get any bugs in my pc. sure ubuntu is not the best looking out of the box but mine looks like i want it to look. thank you debian for making the foundation that allowed me to get ubuntu and now i can smile every time i tell someone i use linux and they think im a nerd when im far from it.

angry_johnnie
March 26th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Why, Ubuntu, of course! What else is to be expected from Ubuntu Forums, anyway?

But, why does it have to be something vs something else?

Why not both?

Why not more?

madara_sama
March 26th, 2008, 09:11 AM
But, fedora more stable than ubuntu in some cases. But, ubuntu more than it and less in some cases.

thisllub
March 26th, 2008, 09:42 AM
After 9 years with Linux I now use Arch.

I am WAY happier than I have been with anything else despite a tough install.

My top 2 for professionals;
Arch
Debian for simplicity.

For power users
Ubuntu or Fedora
Ubuntu is probably the best live CD, I use it for fixing broken Windows machines.

Worst
Mint - so many stupid processes that X is guaranteed to crash and the computer to be slow.

Worst install
Gentoo.
9 hours to an unspecified fatal error means I don't try again.
Pity because Sabayon is very good.
I hope Gentoo gets its act together because it should be the perfect server distro.

All time favourites
1 Arch - current (Openbox). This computer is closer to perfect than anything I have ever tried. Lightning fast and rock stable.

2 RedHat 8. I built a hylafax server that ran an 8 modem card for 5 years without a glitch at up to 500 faxes a day.

3 SUSE 9.1 I had servers that ran trouble free for years. After that SUSE went down hill.

Chessmaster
March 26th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Just curious, and in no way am I saying that one shouldn't be using these forums....the more the merrier etc.

But, as an honest question, what do those that don't use Ubuntu as their main distro get out of the Ubuntu forums?

Good conversation? Advice? Tips? Suggestions? Large forum? Technical questions / answers? Joined the community when I used to use Ubuntu and never left.... etc etc

Do you also use the forums for your main distro as well? Or are they rubbish?

Just curious, thats all.

pastormick
March 26th, 2008, 03:17 PM
This forum, in particular, has a 'jump to it' attitude when someone new to Linux asks a question, and in many ways, answers given can go cross-distro. 'Frinstance, after switching from Fedora to Ubuntu, and back again on one machine, I still had many more positive answers from the Ubuntu forums as opposed to Fedora forums and the fixes worked. Same friendly community, just that the answers seemed more precise.

Forums are a reference point, a place to start looking for answers. As for leaving a forum because I may have another main distro, that'd be like throwing out half of my library because I don't read it. Not that my wife wouldn't mind...

Mick

waspbr
March 26th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ubuntu,

well, as a noob, I thought it was the easiest to use and start learning, which I still am. besides that the community support for Ubuntu is outstanding. OpenSuse also is a great distro but not as noob friendly as ubuntu.

fela
March 26th, 2008, 03:47 PM
they're all good...if i bash fedora, i'm bashing ubuntu at the same time. If i bash ubuntu, i'm bashing opensuse. If i bash KNOPPIX, i bash slackware. etc. etc. etc. Cause it's all Linux in the end. The only OS i consistently bash is windows (even though i don't use it)...and Mac OS X 10.5 occasionally. :):):)

Mr. Picklesworth
March 26th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Both Fedora and Suse are by far the prettiest/most professional looking distro's out of the box as well (compare the fedora boot splash to the Ubuntu boot splash... no comparisson).Exactly! I am completely jealous of Fedora 8's startup process :(

fela
March 26th, 2008, 05:07 PM
why don't you download it's source then compile it into your ubuntu installation then? that's the beauty of linux.

Kingsley
March 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Darn, I thought Fedora would have the most votes!

Dragonbite
March 26th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Just curious, and in no way am I saying that one shouldn't be using these forums....the more the merrier etc.

But, as an honest question, what do those that don't use Ubuntu as their main distro get out of the Ubuntu forums?

Good conversation? Advice? Tips? Suggestions? Large forum? Technical questions / answers? Joined the community when I used to use Ubuntu and never left.... etc etc

Do you also use the forums for your main distro as well? Or are they rubbish?

Just curious, thats all.
Some forums are more technical, some are more friendly and some just have people who are using the computer similar to the way you are.

I've refered people to different forums and especially Wiki's for their problems because sometimes somebody else is better at explaining it.

Ubuntu definately has the best community and conversational forums I've found so far from what I've seen. The answers are also very patient, but I seem to get some better answers sometimes at the openSuse forums (suseforums.net). For more technical answers I then look at moving into Gentoo forums, but I haven't had to do that in a while (UbuntuForums has helped a lot in that :) )