PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Community Library for CD's

Gashikar
July 9th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Well, Iwas wondering to myself about the responses that I pick from the threads I read in this community concerning UBUNTU DISTRIBUTION IN KENYA and realised that the major challenge that we have is availability of Installation Cd's. Read the treads yourself and you will see appeals of people seeking a copy of this or that distro of ubuntu.

I realise Kenyan's do not not yet have broadband high speed internet that would enable users to download software from servers all over the world or even set up (local )country mirrors for esay download.

The result is that Ubuntu and other Linux enthusiasts will have to for now rely on borrowed installation CD's or DVD's. However, not many people know who has what distros and where to find them.

My suggestion for now is that this community leadership lead the way in the establishment of an UBUNTU/Linux community library where people in a specific locations can borrow and return installation CD's

This way,only a few "master CD's" are needed to serve a large number of users.

Such a library can be operated without the need of any physical facilities and would use only a few point leaders who are accessible and willing to keep or carry around the Cd'S with them while monitoring the borowing,returning and als the integrity of the installation media.

Such a library can be set by coordinating the already existing resources, as would be voluntered for copying by those who own them.

I believe this is one Ubuntu way of sharing the few resources we have for the good of all.

The benefits of such "a facility" would include,encouragement of the use Retired computers which could be cheaper to acquire and compatible wit Linux; Exposing programmers to the functions of Linux so that they can learn in and be in a position to drive customization including building SWAHILI TRANSLATIONS based on their mastery of what they already know.

Another benefit would be to keep up with distro information. Right now there is a stable release of
UBUNTU 7.04 desktop and also 7.04 server edition,and I wonder how a user in Meru or Kitale would acquire any of these if nothing is done.

Let us think about this , let us discuss this and let us act on this.

Gashikar

k2jaxson
August 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Hi All,
I must am very much impressed to find that Ubuntu has gotten into you just like me.
I am new to ubuntu but I must let you know that am impressed everyday.
Am using the new Ubuntu 7.4 and still learnign from it.
Guys, I feel I need support from those who have been using Linux for sometime or the pros, so that I can get steps further. I need a good base to start soon.
For now, can someone guide me how to Install a program such as
Oscafe-0.9.tar
Which steps do I follow, not that am using Ubuntu 7.04.
I tried the Sudo apt-get install Oscafe-0.9.tar but it could not work out even after unziping the files.
Kindly assist me.
For the furom contributor; Gachikar, you have a great idea. I can let you guys my copies, or you need is to come with is a blank CD and 20/- to cover CD burning cost. You can get me at 1st Floor, Abbey House, Luthuli Ave. Gaberone RD.
Lets forget about Windows people.

Gashikar
August 8th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Well, Iwas wondering to myself about the responses that I pick from the threads I read in this community concerning UBUNTU DISTRIBUTION IN KENYA and realised that the major challenge that we have is availability of Installation Cd's. Read the treads yourself and you will see appeals of people seeking a copy of this or that distro of ubuntu.

I realise Kenyan's do not not yet have broadband high speed internet that would enable users to download software from servers all over the world or even set up (local )country mirrors for esay download.

The result is that Ubuntu and other Linux enthusiasts will have to for now rely on borrowed installation CD's or DVD's. However, not many people know who has what distros and where to find them.

My suggestion for now is that this community leadership lead the way in the establishment of an UBUNTU/Linux community library where people in a specific locations can borrow and return installation CD's

This way,only a few "master CD's" are needed to serve a large number of users.

Such a library can be operated without the need of any physical facilities and would use only a few point leaders who are accessible and willing to keep or carry around the Cd'S with them while monitoring the borowing,returning and als the integrity of the installation media.

Such a library can be set by coordinating the already existing resources, as would be voluntered for copying by those who own them.

I believe this is one Ubuntu way of sharing the few resources we have for the good of all.

The benefits of such "a facility" would include,encouragement of the use Retired computers which could be cheaper to acquire and compatible wit Linux; Exposing programmers to the functions of Linux so that they can learn in and be in a position to drive customization including building SWAHILI TRANSLATIONS based on their mastery of what they already know.

Another benefit would be to keep up with distro information. Right now there is a stable release of
UBUNTU 7.04 desktop and also 7.04 server edition,and I wonder how a user in Meru or Kitale would acquire any of these if nothing is done.

Let us think about this , let us discuss this and let us act on this.

Gashikar

Hi,
I have new installation CD's available in Nairobi to boost the repository or Community Library.I prefer that they be constantly available for use or copying by all. I'm looking forward to making contact with anyone from the Ubuntu Team or Open Source Kenya who can handle this resource and hold it available. The Distros included are (3-5 copies each)
1.Ubuntu Dapper Drake 606 lts Desktop Live Cd
2.Ubuntu 606 lts Server.
3.Ubuntu 7.04 Desktop Live Cd
4.Ubuntu 7.04 server
5.Kubuntu
6.Ubuntu 6.10 Desktop live Cd
7.GParted. This is a disk management utility that enables one to install several operating systems on the same hard drive eg windows and Linux or even several Linuces in "Multi-boot"
(Note all Cd's are only made from various publicly accessible download servers and mirrors)

Someone is holding (at Nairobi City center)these Cd's awaiting collection .
For this purpose only give me your phone contact via
gashikar@ yahoo.com
Thanks