PDA

View Full Version : Would This Count as a Trademark Infringement?

regomodo
July 9th, 2007, 02:06 AM
`

~~Tito~~
July 9th, 2007, 02:10 AM
No because the logo for the other site is wobbly, bit i guess it kinda is.

prizrak
July 9th, 2007, 02:13 AM
No because they are in completely different industries. I doubt anyone would confuse The Gap and Debian.

regomodo
July 9th, 2007, 02:18 AM
`

bread eyes
July 9th, 2007, 02:19 AM
No because they are in completely different industries. I doubt anyone would confuse The Gap and Debian.

It's not trademark infringement but that's not why.

prizrak
July 9th, 2007, 02:35 AM
It's not trademark infringement but that's not why.
Care to elaborate?

regomodo
July 9th, 2007, 02:47 AM
`

tgm4883
July 9th, 2007, 02:52 AM
My guess is that it isn't trademark infrigement because either
A: You can't trademark a spiral
or
B: Debian didn't trademark it.

bread eyes
July 9th, 2007, 04:23 AM
You can't trademark a spiral

yep

init1
July 9th, 2007, 04:27 AM
You probably can trademark a red spiral, that spins counter clock wise, and has uneven lines (not strait or geometric, but rough).

RAV TUX
July 9th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Look closely. See if you can spot it

http://www.realgap.co.uk/

and then compare the logo to

http://www.debian.org/

uncanny, isn't it.Spirals have been around since man learned how to draw. There is no comparision here and no Trademark infringement.

Wiebelhaus
July 9th, 2007, 04:36 AM
it's just a sqiggly line with a loop or something , eff it.

AusIV4
July 9th, 2007, 04:48 AM
I don't think that's relevant here (and I'll elaborate). With respect to product naming, you can have the same name in different fields - Apple Computers and Apple Music. So long as the fields stay separate and there's no way to confuse the two, there's no problem.

However, if Apple Music were to start using the Apple Computers logo, this would certainly imply that the two companies were related.

Now, I still don't think there's a trademark issue here. The debian logo is quite simple and a neanderthal could probably provide prior art. The gap logo includes something similar as a subset of their logo. I don't think there is any implication that the two are related, so I don't think this is relevant.