PDA

View Full Version : How many Linux based cell phones are there?

babysteps
July 8th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong place...

I'm a Nokia Communicator user. Mine is an old 9290, but I love the keyboard, and the simple fact that I don't have to make the glass dirty when I talk because i press my ear to the underside of the phone, not the keypad side....Now I'm drooling over the E90, but then I haven't actually seen one for comparison.

Anyhow, since switching to Ubuntu I've come to appreciate the operating system. I know that Nokia had Linux based web tablet that's cool looking. (the E700? E800?), and I know of a German company named ROAD that was making a Linux based, communicator-type of smartphone. S101, S101k, which has a nice rugged geeky look that I might like, as long as it's not too "plastic-ky".

Right now I don't have a way of syncing my 9290 to the computer. As my old 9290 is slowly falling apart, I was just wondering if you all know of any cool cell phones that are in the making for use with Linux? Would love to hear other options. The Iphone is slick, but I don't like touch screen if it's the only option. Qwerty keyboard is preferred.

Babysteps

bread eyes
July 8th, 2007, 09:39 PM
http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT9423084269.html

Kratos
July 9th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Another biggie to keep an eye on is the Neo1973. It's what many people are saying could be the iPhone's worst nightmare. It sports most of the same features as Apple's recent entrant into the mobile world, and is completely FOSS. The schematics are available to be looked over and developers can now order a unit so they can begin hacking and coding. It runs OpenMoko, a Linux distribution tailored to cell phones, smart phones and other mobile devices.

Not to sound like a bad advertisement or anything, but the Neo1973 is currently selling at $300 for developers. At half the price of the iPhone, with equally impressive features and hardware, and the massive network of FOSS developers working for it. To say that I'm excited for the end user release would be an understatement.

Two weeks ago, I was wishing I had $600. The news of this phone broke the deal for me. I'll gladly wait until this thing is out in the wild.

If you want to look into it, here's the link: http://www.openmoko.org

original_jamingrit
July 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Another biggie to keep an eye on is the Neo1973. It's what many people are saying could be the iPhone's worst nightmare. It sports most of the same features as Apple's recent entrant into the mobile world, and is completely FOSS. The schematics are available to be looked over and developers can now order a unit so they can begin hacking and coding. It runs OpenMoko, a Linux distribution tailored to cell phones, smart phones and other mobile devices.

Not to sound like a bad advertisement or anything, but the Neo1973 is currently selling at $300 for developers. At half the price of the iPhone, with equally impressive features and hardware, and the massive network of FOSS developers working for it. To say that I'm excited for the end user release would be an understatement.

Two weeks ago, I was wishing I had $600. The news of this phone broke the deal for me. I'll gladly wait until this thing is out in the wild.

If you want to look into it, here's the link: http://www.openmoko.org

That's really cool. I heard a lot about things that the i-phone _can't_ do, like use audio files for ringtones, or sending attachments in e-mails; these are things that were probably done for proprietary reasons. Maybe software on an open-source phone would be different...

babysteps
July 10th, 2007, 06:08 PM
That's really cool. I heard a lot about things that the i-phone _can't_ do, like use audio files for ringtones, or sending attachments in e-mails; these are things that were probably done for proprietary reasons. Maybe software on an open-source phone would be different...

That's surprising that the i-phone can't use audio files for ringtones. One of the first thing I did with the Nokia 9290 is record a snippet of a piano piece with it and then use it as my ringtone. Seems that that should be personalizable, something that you must hear over and over again.

Kratos, thanks for the link. I love the idea of Openmoko. When I saw the "terminal" I was all excited, but then if we are to have the terminal, shouldn't we get a REAL keyboard to type on, so that we can issue those command lines without pecking with a stylus?...Ah...back to my obsession with the keyboard again....I think the Neo1973 doesn't have to look like i-phone, and it doesn't have to set a goal of beating out i-phone. I think it can aim higher than that.

whayong
July 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM
The Neo1973 looks like a nice piece of hardware. Does it support 3G? According to the Wiki it will sell for $450 and $600? That might be a tad to high for some consumers, especially if they will be targeting the iphone.

SoloSalsa
July 11th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I am an OpenMoko fan from the first press release! I have no official connection or anything, though I have been closely following it, and know a bit about it.

Anyway, right now, it is 300 USD (450 developer). This is only Phase 1, and is NOT intended for the general public. In October, Phase 2 will be out for 450 USD (500 developer). It will be WAY more polished than the Phase 1s. It will also be far better: WiFi, two accelerometers, 40% more battery, four times the flash, twice the RAM, and basic improved functionality. It will be worth the extra 150, no doubt. I am waiting until then, and I swear I will get one.

I am not too familiar with cell-phone spectrum technology. Unfortunately, I do not know if it is 3G or not. It is quad-band GSM, so (obviously) it is at least 2G. Would someone explain what exactly 3G is/does (other than general higher bandwidth)?

Digitallysick
July 11th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I just bought a motorola a1200 ming, check it out, it runs linux, unlocked quad band, touch screen, and they are on ebay new for about 250 bux or less

Old Pink
July 12th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I'm currently following the Neo1973 (http://www.mbhoy.com/11-07-2007/fic-neo1973-phase-one) up to it's Phase 2 release, hoping to see great things from that, but I'm also really interested in the ROAD Handy-PC (http://www.mobilegazette.com/road-s101-06x08x17.htm)

maniacmusician
July 12th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Anyhow, since switching to Ubuntu I've come to appreciate the operating system. I know that Nokia had Linux based web tablet that's cool looking. (the E700? E800?)
It's the N800, and yes, it is pretty cool :)

That's actually going to change very soon. People have been busy hacking the iPhone, and have already figured out how to do a bunch of neat stuff with it. However, I agree that the openmoko phone looks great. Better an open phone than an iphone.

Ebuntor
July 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a project to make an Ubuntu version for cell phones? I remember reading about it on Launchpad and the Ubuntu wiki.

If that Ubuntu version can run on the Neo 1973 or on the ROAD S101 I'd definitely buy one (apart from the fact that I rarely use my cell phone).

SoloSalsa
July 13th, 2007, 12:39 AM
If that Ubuntu version can run on the Neo 1973No correction, for you are not wrong. But I think it would be best to use OpenMoko (the operating system) on OpenMoko (the phone). OpenMoko has it's own Bugzilla and application database. It will have programs made just for it. There will also be plenty of syncing tools, for Linux, so Ubuntu will probably make it's own 'OpenMoko' interface program.

rlynch
July 14th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I was skeptical at first, but the OpenMoko has turned out to be one killer phone

jnvta
November 3rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
I have never owned a cell phone, but i want to get one soon, and want it to be linux based, I like all of what im reading on this post...but, what service providers will sell service for these phones ? I'm in southern california, and if any one of them will do it, i may hav a pone by weeks end.

waapwoop1
November 3rd, 2008, 03:33 AM
Be interested if it was possible to install Ubuntu or Android or something on my E61i.
Instead of Symbian, Linux would be much more customizable, and cheaper to do so.

harry2006
November 15th, 2008, 06:11 AM
i'm a great fan of openmoko and currently trying it out thru the QEMU emulator, its just cool...the latest model Neo Freerunner is too good...

vinaymakhamale
November 15th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Hello guys....I am having Kohjinsha SH6KB04A! having Ubuntu hardy8.0.4.1.i am trying to map the keys to launcher shutter & rotation button through metacity in gconf-editor ,but those change couldn't get reflected .buttons can be map to keyboard shortcuts.

So what to do for mapping them to other actions which are not defined in shortcuts....

Please help me !!!!!!!!:(:(:(