PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the Linux Mascot?

init1
July 8th, 2007, 08:20 PM
I do.
I realize that there were a few threads similar to this, but didn't ask the same question.

starcraft.man
July 8th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I do.
I realize that there were a few threads similar to this, but didn't ask the same question.

It's a heck of a lot better than a 4 colored window. Besides, everyone loves penguins.

IYY
July 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM
How is it possible not to?

Toadmund
July 8th, 2007, 08:46 PM
No $bux$ Tux!

Free OS!

Power to the penguin!

cobrn1
July 8th, 2007, 09:03 PM
sort of... it has endowed me with a love for penguins, but at the same time the graphics for it aren't exactly top notch. On the other hand I think the windows logo looks great - trim, sleek, professional, and the vista version has those subtle lighting effects that we've all grown fond of recently. I know it's simplistic, but it looks damn good - like I always say, Microsoft do have a good design dept (i really like the look of aero too).

But tux will never go away - it's far too iconic for that. Iw would be nice if he could be undated tho - an _offical_ update that left him looking more professional - it's time to move out of the dark ages, linux is on a par with windows and mac, or is better - our mascot should reflect that!

walkerk
July 8th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Sure.. and why not?

cunawarit
July 8th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Its OK, not as cool as the BSD mascot though.

lepz
July 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Tux Rules OK
:)

Fenryr
July 8th, 2007, 09:26 PM
...tux will never go away - it's far too iconic for that. Iw would be nice if he could be undated tho - an _offical_ update that left him looking more professional - it's time to move out of the dark ages, linux is on a par with windows and mac, or is better - our mascot should reflect that!

So, what, you want a penguin with a pocket protector and a slide rule? *l*

Yeah, I love the penguin just fine...And there's bugger-all we could do about it at THIS late date if we DIDN'T, seein's how he's only been splashin' onto Linux screens for the last 10 years or more...Might just as well try and get Tony the Tiger off the frosted flakes box...*g*

RAV TUX
July 8th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I like Penguins, but I honestly think we could have a better Tux cartoon.

%hMa@?b<C
July 8th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I love tux. I even have a shirt with him on it, and I also spray painted my old PC case with tux! (make stencils and had diff colored paints)

Eggnog
July 8th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Linux users being referred to as penguinistas has a nice ring to it.

Polygon
July 8th, 2007, 11:38 PM
the penguin is fine the way it is, no need to make it look "professional", why should it? its a mascot, it signifies linux. If people base their opinions of a operating system by a logo, then they are pretty silly.

I mean, the other logos are not nearly as fun or customizable as the tux penguin. I mean, how many variants of a a window or a apple can you have?

with a penguin you can have like tux, a picture of a real penguin, or you can have pictures of the penguin in various outfits, doing various things, like we have now

I mean, you dont see websites full of pictures of tux in different outfits, now do you? (http://tux.crystalxp.net/)

plus penguins are just awesome all by themself :D

smoker
July 8th, 2007, 11:41 PM
i love penguins, but i don't think i could eat a full one:-)

cobrn1
July 8th, 2007, 11:44 PM
So, what, you want a penguin with a pocket protector and a slide rule? *l*

huh? that just went swoosh over my head, but whatever. As you rightly pointed out (and so did I) tux is here to stay nomater what.

The point wasn't to bloat tux (that would be symbolic of windows) but to make it look better, ie, at the moment all the tux images are have bad colour depth and look 2D. Fair enough for when they were first drawn. But this is now. All it needs is a little touch up, a few crafty lighting effects here and that's it.

Just look at the vista stary button - the way the blue changes tone subtly, the lighting effect - it's classy and looks the biz (even when the OS isn't). I'd love to see that for tux...

%hMa@?b<C
July 8th, 2007, 11:45 PM

well... maybe a little one wouldn't be too hard (but there is a lot of saturated fat) I could maybe eat a baby gentoo penguin.

cobrn1
July 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM

lol :D

Linux users being referred to as penguinistas has a nice ring to it.

I quite agree - it's a quaint community thing, and I (an i'm sure many other linux users) are quite fond of it too.

the penguin is fine the way it is, no need to make it look "professional", why should it? its a mascot, it signifies linux.

But the point is that linux is professional level gear now, why shouldn't the mascot look the part? I nlove the penguin, and don't want to depose him - I just wan't him to look a bit better, that's all (with out looking loike a comic figure - great for your profile pisture, but not quite what i'm after... :)

If people base their opinions of a operating system by a logo, then they are pretty silly.

I'm not saying that either, just that'd be nice for him to look nice, ni this modern age. Besides - looks do count, or why would we be devoting so much time into compiz-fusion etc...

I mean, the other logos are not nearly as fun or customizable as the tux penguin. I mean, how many variants of a a window or a apple can you have?

True, but that doesn't exclude having a professional looking one as the main mascot, does it? I'd still enjoy the cartoon versions too, but I'd really like a professional looking main mascot. Tux just looks a bit dated at the mo. I'd still want to keep tux tho - just modernised. Use GIMP or some such...

with a penguin you can have like tux, a picture of a real penguin, or you can have pictures of the penguin in various outfits, doing various things, like we have now

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST PENGUINS!!! I LIKE TUX!!! He could just do twith a bit of a modern makeover via GIMP!!!

True. See point above. :D

cobrn1
July 8th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Penguins rule - we all see that. I just want to give him the respect he deserves by making him look modern again! :D ;-)

Polygon
July 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM
i dunno what else you could do to it,

maybe make it like 3d? The penguins in the CGI movies are cute and cuddly :D

tahnok
July 9th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I agree with most of the other comments in this thread. The Penguin is TEH AWESOME!!11 (insert more spastic fanboy noises)
Anyways it could do with a little touch up to make it look more shiny, but other than that it's perfect!

RAV TUX
July 9th, 2007, 12:14 AM
the penguin is fine the way it is, no need to make it look "professional", why should it? its a mascot, it signifies linux. If people base their opinions of a operating system by a logo, then they are pretty silly.

I mean, you dont see websites full of pictures of tux in different outfits, now do you? (http://tux.crystalxp.net/)

Don't get me wrong I like Tux the way he is, I just find he has a uncanny resemblance to me.(In the belly);)

cobrn1
July 9th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I agree with most of the other comments in this thread. The Penguin is TEH AWESOME!!11 (insert more spastic fanboy noises)
Anyways it could do with a little touch up to make it look more shiny, but other than that it's perfect!

lol :D I'm glad someone sees my point!

i dunno what else you could do to it,

maybe make it like 3d? The penguins in the CGI movies are cute and cuddly :D

I dunno how exaclty, but just look at the way the windows icon has progressed from the horrid, flat 16-bit version to the wonderful version (on the vista start button) we have today. Something like that - A bit more 3D, better colour depth, make use of the light and shadow effects. It's hard to explain, but if you look at any modern icon set thay all have the sort of features I mean.

I wish this is somthing I could do, but alas I'm not brilliant at art, and doubt I could pull it off... i'm content with photo-editing... that's always fun ;-)

And penguin films do have a habit of being good. I never saw happy feet but someone I know was very obsessed with it (and he's like 40 - he went to se it w/ his children and thought it was great... :popcorn:)

I liked the march of the penguins, but whatever... sorta of topic...

FuturePilot
July 9th, 2007, 12:31 AM
I love Tux. He has a personality to him, unlike a Window or an Apple.

init1
July 9th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I love Tux. He has a personality to him, unlike a Window or an Apple.
I believe Linus was quoted as saying that tux looks "contented". Why wouldn't a Linux user feel the same?

cobrn1
July 9th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I found something very like what I was looking for. If you look up this user's avater, its practia=cally everything I was saying:

justin1278

The only problem is that tux looks a little too goofy, but hey, I doubt that'll _ever_ change... lol

ceelo
July 9th, 2007, 01:22 AM
He needs a few muscles ... so pudgy lookin'. And perhaps some shades. :guitar:

rocknrolf77
July 9th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Tux is great. What other mascot comes in all colors and flavours. Don't fear the penguins ;)

init1
July 9th, 2007, 01:42 AM
Try this.

sudo apt-get install xpenguins
xpenguins

I think it only works in gnome.

mdsmedia
July 9th, 2007, 01:52 AM
lol :D

I quite agree - it's a quaint community thing, and I (an i'm sure many other linux users) are quite fond of it too.

But the point is that linux is professional level gear now, why shouldn't the mascot look the part? I nlove the penguin, and don't want to depose him - I just wan't him to look a bit better, that's all (with out looking loike a comic figure - great for your profile pisture, but not quite what i'm after... :)

I'm not saying that either, just that'd be nice for him to look nice, ni this modern age. Besides - looks do count, or why would we be devoting so much time into compiz-fusion etc...

True, but that doesn't exclude having a professional looking one as the main mascot, does it? I'd still enjoy the cartoon versions too, but I'd really like a professional looking main mascot. Tux just looks a bit dated at the mo. I'd still want to keep tux tho - just modernised. Use GIMP or some such...

I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST PENGUINS!!! I LIKE TUX!!! He could just do twith a bit of a modern makeover via GIMP!!!

True. See point above. :D

I can see your point, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the "2D Tux" we all know and love lends itself to the customisation we can all make without moving away from our little feathered friend. The more basic, the easier it is to identify with Tux regardless what he looks like. So I think a point can be made for leaving him as he is.

Long Live Tux!! ;)

cobrn1
July 9th, 2007, 02:08 AM
What you say is true, but he can still be customised even if there is a snazzier, more professional-looking verison. Just like you can still identify the windows flag, even tho it looks alot better today. I do see what you're saying tho, I just think there's room for improvement and it wouldn't ruin the enjoyment for anyone - i mena, people are going to keep redressing tux as they see fit anyway...

what does xpenguins do. I would try it but I don't have access to a linux box at the mo...

cobrn1
July 9th, 2007, 02:08 AM
oh yes, an long live Tux from me to!

jrusso2
July 9th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Re: Linux Logo
Linus Torvalds (torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi)
Sun, 12 May 1996 09:39:19 +0300 (EET DST)

As to why use a penguin as a logo? No good reason, really. But a logo doesn't really ave to _mean_ anything - it's the association that counts. And I can think of many worse things than have linux being associated with penguins.

Having a penguin as a logo also gives more freedom to people wanting to use linux-related material: instead of being firmly fixed with a specific logo (the triangle, or just "Linux 2.0" or some other abstract thing), using something like a penguin gives people the chance to make modifications that are still recognizable.

So you can have a real live penguin on a CD cover, for example, and people will get the association. Or you can have a penguin that does something specific (a Penguin writing on wordperfect for the WP Linux CD, whatever - you get the idea).

Compare that to a more abstract logo (like the windows logo - it's not a bad logo in itself). You can't really do anything with a logo like that. It just "is".

fuscia
July 9th, 2007, 02:12 AM
i despise the damn thing. i also don't like the sound of the name 'ubuntu'. (it's meaning is fine.)

tcoffeep
July 9th, 2007, 02:13 AM
i despise the damn thing. i also don't like the sound of the name 'ubuntu'. (it's meaning is fine.)

I can never $!#!#!ing pronounce ubuntu :P

Warpnow
July 9th, 2007, 02:57 AM
I like Penguins, but I honestly think we could have a better Tux cartoon.

Agreed.

bukwirm
July 9th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the
grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin
charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what
they say if they had.
-- Linus Torvalds, announcing Linux v2.0

I like Tux.

init1
July 9th, 2007, 04:13 AM
What you say is true, but he can still be customised even if there is a snazzier, more professional-looking verison. Just like you can still identify the windows flag, even tho it looks alot better today. I do see what you're saying tho, I just think there's room for improvement and it wouldn't ruin the enjoyment for anyone - i mena, people are going to keep redressing tux as they see fit anyway...

what does xpenguins do. I would try it but I don't have access to a linux box at the mo...
It creates penguins that run around the desktop. They don't go over windows.

steveneddy
July 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I like the penguin.

I'm just glad that we don't have one like the openBSD mascot.

:popcorn:

strabes
July 9th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Tux is a great conversation starter and from my experience girls think he's cute (until they know what he represents haha)

rocknrolf77
July 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM

Just put some penguins in the beryl snow plugin ;)

Anonii
July 9th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Tux is a great conversation starter and from my experience girls think he's cute (until they know what he represents haha)
~_~

Outrunner
July 9th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Sure, Tux is cute!

Kowalski_GT-R
July 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
voted yes,

Tux is cool

smoker
July 9th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Sure, Tux is cute!

just don't upset him!

argie
July 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM
How can anyone not like the Linux mascot. Tux looks contented, nothing better than being contented.

DC@DR
July 9th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Tux has aways been my favorite mascot for years :-)

ltk5
July 9th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I actually love penguins!

They're the first on my list of fav animals. I've seen a hundreds of penguin pics, most of the
Pingu series, Happy feet - movie, and stuff...

So, it's kinda a blessing for me - I love both Linux, and also it's mascot.
It's cute to have a full grown penguin on your desktop.
The small cute Tux is my fav -link- (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7155415@N04/405885899/) !

Erunno
July 9th, 2007, 07:54 PM
The german computer magazine c't had their own version of Tux for a couple of years who looked like a cross between Feathers McGraw (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y146/durrani/feathersgun.jpg) and Jack Nicholson (http://dbonogallery.com/Don Bono/bono web/images/-Portraits/Actors/big/Jack_Nicholson_2.jpg). He featured completely black eyes and a somewhat mad grin and I always preferred him to the official Tux.

I hope these samples might give you an impression:

Image 1 (http://www.heise.de/ct/motive/03/26/p800.jpg)
Image 2 (http://www.heise.de/ct/motive/05/19/p800.jpg)
Image 3 (http://www.heise.de/ct/motive/04/11/p800.jpg)

For some unknown reason they changed him to a more friendly looking version which in my opinion is very lame :(

Polygon
July 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I actually love penguins!

They're the first on my list of fav animals. I've seen a hundreds of penguin pics, most of the
Pingu series, Happy feet - movie, and stuff...

So, it's kinda a blessing for me - I love both Linux, and also it's mascot.
It's cute to have a full grown penguin on your desktop.
The small cute Tux is my fav -link- (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7155415@N04/405885899/) !

heh, same here. Penguins are pretty much my fav animal and its cool to use a OS that has them as their logo :D

i personally like the happy feet penguins the best, most likely because they are all 3d and fuzzy and just awesome looking.

jgrabham
July 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
just don't upset him!

WOW, thats one of the best pics, Ive ever seen. Its my wallpaper now!

Considering penguins are one of my favorite animals, yes of course I like it!!

(Being given a foot tall stuffed penguin for your 15th birthday proves my obsesion (his names Sid, after sid the kid))!

cobrn1
July 9th, 2007, 08:53 PM

I can't _wait_ to try this now... must get my hands on a linux box ASAP!!!

Just put some penguins in the beryl snow plugin ;)

Very cool idea too - i'd quite like to see it.

About the name ubuntu - i'm abit ambivalent. It's a bit weird, and I'd prefer something a bit more appealing, but at the end of the day it also sounds quite cool (if a bit nerdy... :_()

To be honest I really don't care about the name tho. Inless it was _really_ crap, a rose by any other name smells just as sweet...

DM was on fire!
July 9th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Oh yes.

Infact, I love Tux so much, I have one of the official stuffed penguins.
And when I mean official, I mean it came from Germany.

original_jamingrit
July 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.

Tux works for me. It would be appropriate to use a photograph of an emperor penguin in profile for professional/business Linux software GUIs, and it would be appropriate to have a baby penguin for educational Linux software, But I hope they never change the main Linux mascot.

As for Ooboontoo, it sounds okay to me. The foreign sound draws more attention to the meaning of the word, otherwise most people in the western world might not care what it means.