PDA

View Full Version : Why not a "souped up" Ubuntu????

cwmoser
July 8th, 2007, 12:04 PM
What is preventing someone from offering a "souped up" Ubuntu????

I'll be one of the first to admit that Ubuntu right off the install CDROM is great, but there are a lot of add-ons that make Ubuntu even better -- and more of a Windows killer. Is there some legality or technical issue preventing someone creating an installation script or program that automatically installs many of the packages most of us install anyway? If the top 20 packages could be learned from survey, I think somebody like Dell could offer a "value-added" Ubuntu that could increase their sales of PC hardware.

Say, Dell could offer Ubuntu with Beryl preinstalled and ready to work on dual monitors? Include Codeweavers or wine with Quicken and Quickbooks preinstalled? Include vmserver with an XP virtual machine - yeah there are licensing costs with that one.

How about a specially written book specific to Dells Ubuntu configuration?

I think somebody is missing a major opportunity for the Ubuntu Linux market.

Comments?

Carl

Wiebelhaus
July 8th, 2007, 12:05 PM
check sig , it's a "souped up" Ubuntu.

cobrn1
July 9th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Mint is sort of souped up, but he may not like all the features (ie, some people take issue with the start menu - i think it's ok - infact, is there any easy way to do that in ubuntu?)

Anyway, to go back to the original point, any more would inolve more Cd's which is a pain (that's less important point 1). Important point 2 is this: these sorts of thisng are being added - well, the new Xorg will make dual monitors a real possibility, or so I believe. and there's a cut down ver of beryl in 7.04. The full version might be in gutys 7.10 (not sure tho?)

Having wine pre-installed is not really worth while IMO. We already suffer from bloatware, esp from dell (_NOT_ to disrespect WINE), but if I want WINE I'll install it afterwards. As I don't I prefer not having it pre-installed.

Maybe once dell get more used to the idea of _selling_ ubuntu then they'll look towards some of the customisations you suggest (but by customer choice only, other wise it defeats the object of using linux)

Anything with money, licence or patent issues is really a no go for legal safety reasons. You gotta respect that - it's for everyones best interest.

However, I do agree that Dell aren't really making the most of the opportunity, but I thing in time they'll warm to it and will maybe start to customise like they do with windows.

Warpnow
July 9th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Search the forum for Ubuntu Ultimate.

aysiu
July 9th, 2007, 04:08 AM
As others have already pointed out, such "souped up Ubuntus" already exist, and they have not "killed Windows."

There is no "Windows killer," just as there will be no "iPod killer."

Market dominance is something extremely difficult to shake and has very little to do with the introduction of new features.

Warpnow
July 9th, 2007, 06:32 AM
just as there will be no "iPod killer."

Ah, you say that now...but when I start killing people and leaving Ipods inside their chest cavity...they'll be sure to jump to the name calling...

BoneSaw
July 9th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Ah, you say that now...but when I start killing people and leaving Ipods inside their chest cavity...they'll be sure to jump to the name calling...

i think this is the best post ive seen on these forums.

EVER.

dasunst3r
July 9th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I use this as a guide to "souping up" my Ubuntu installation: www.ubuntuguide.org It contains everything I like -- nothing more, nothing less. If you would like an automated method, try Automatix (www.getautomatix.com)

forrestcupp
July 9th, 2007, 02:34 PM

The best thing about this post is that you talked about the chest cavity.

Cheese Sandwich
July 9th, 2007, 04:02 PM
i think this is the best post ive seen on these forums.

EVER.

:lol: