PDA

View Full Version : Why Ubuntu?

GuitarRocker2562
July 8th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I am just wondering a few things, here they go.

1. When were you first introduced to linux?
2. What was the first distro you used?
3. What attracted you to ubuntu?
4. Why do you use it today?
5. How old are you (to see the age of ubuntu users)?

Here is mine.

1. When I read about iPodLinux.
2. iPodLinux, but on my PC, ubuntu.
3. I was offered the CD, the ease of use.
4. The great community, ease of use, ability to still customize to anything.
5. 14!

You turn!

~~Tito~~
July 8th, 2007, 06:02 AM
1. Browsing some forums and saw a cool screen shot of an OS then I asked and he said go to Ubuntu.com. So I did then I ordered 10 live cd's 6.06 (I think) and then they came but I lost them. After a while I went back and ordered 7.04 and here I am.
2.Ubuntu
3.After I read and read in these forums (I heard about Ubuntu before but went here).
4.Trying to get some games to work (SW:EaW wont install like normal for some reason!!!).
5. 14 (cool the O.P and I are the same age!!!).

vexorian
July 8th, 2007, 06:05 AM
1. 2002 I read some article in the news paper, sounded interesting that something free and legal was possible.
2. Red hat, 4.0 if I remember correctly, I was very dissapointed, I eventually figured out it was because I was too used to windows, but anyways lack of HD space forced me to use FAT32 for the filesystem and everything was slugguish, because of the fear of breaking windows I used a boot floppy disk, I didn't really do anything on it...

4. Because ubuntu has seriously been an improvement, and eventually I learned to love it, it is also the only legal way I currently have to use my computer, the rest is my windows partition which is 100% pirated software (In this country nobody really pays for software...)

5. 22

GuitarRocker2562
July 8th, 2007, 06:06 AM
yay 14!

GuitarRocker2562
July 8th, 2007, 06:11 AM
what country, bTW?

neoguy2012
July 8th, 2007, 06:13 AM
1. I don't remember...
2. The first distro I used seriously was Puppy Linux (and I still love it!)
3. I heard it was a user-friendly distro that had a great community (great as in big and great as in friendly).
4. Ubuntu satisfied all my computing needs (great for web development and basic computer tasks).
5. 20

southernman
July 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM
You meant to put this in the cafe, right? Should of! No need to fill the "support forums" with useless dribble. ;) Unless your looking for beans!

Perhaps a mod will move it.

aysiu
July 8th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I agree that the cafe is a more appropriate place for this thread.

cwood06
July 8th, 2007, 06:26 AM
- During a network + training had to learn ifconfig though suse
- Fedora Core 6
- ease of use, video cards and other hardware worked out-of-the-box
- it is my main os on my desktop and it is dule boot on my laptop, mainly for gaming and everthing else i do!

GuitarRocker2562
July 8th, 2007, 06:43 AM
I am the worst at placing threads. aysiu, why dont you answer?

LookTJ
July 8th, 2007, 06:49 AM

My friend told me about Ubuntu on msn in 2003-2004.

Ubuntu 6.06 in July.

Well, I wanted something different than the boring Windows looks.

To play games(not big ones), to surf the web, to chat online, to run a server.

dasunst3r
July 8th, 2007, 06:56 AM
1. I was first introduced to Linux working at a local computer shop.
2. The first distribution I used was Mandrake (now Mandriva).
3. I use Ubuntu because of its superior hardware support compared to the other distros. Indeed, I revisited openSUSE not long ago. The CD burner and network card did not work correctly.
4. I still use it today because of its community and the fact that I use a Dell.
5. I am currently 20 years of age.

tgm4883
July 8th, 2007, 06:58 AM
1. Late 90's
2. Slackware
3. Ease of use. Hardware compatibility
4. Less bloat, more features
5. 24

southernman
July 8th, 2007, 07:07 AM

Us old times have a hard time with either short/long term memory. :p Must of been 97'ish when I bought a retail version of Redhat 7.3 from CompUSA... Met a local tech guy (read had his own repair shop) who introduced me to MIRC and the local LUG.

See anwser #1

Distrowatch specifically... and the hoopla that was around on slashdot, dig and a few ezines I was subscribed to.

1- Ease of use.
2- This community!
3- It just works! Even the glitches I do run into (which have not been many), with a few keystokes on Google or searching the forum, I can find the resolution to the problem at hand.
4- Just tired of using MIcrosoft products that are bloated and buggy... not to mention vunerable. Really, where else do you have to pay for updates (errr, I mean upgrades). ;)

If you tell anyone, I'll be miffed to no end! Old as dirt, I am... ummm 42 :p

hidey
July 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM
1. I knew about it for a long time, but if you mean what got me interested enough to go get one, it was a Beryl demo on Youtube.
2. openSuSe 10.2
3. I killed opensuse... :D I had wanted to try Ubuntu from the start, seeing as it was the most popular, but there was something with the whole JMicron thing with Edgy and so I waited for Feisty to come out.
4. Seems like a great way to get to know the Linux side of computing.
5. 22.

AlexenderReez
July 8th, 2007, 08:56 AM

1.i heard it in my technology class ...last year....around May....i had introduction from my friend after that.....back then...even at that time...i don't really care about operating system....even windows..for me,computer for playing games .....surfing internet....and study a bit....not more that that.......but linux force me to learn...and i'm glad to know linux..at lease i'm learning technology with linux.....

2.fedora 6 ...and it really suck to my computer....firstly after install...reboot then screen black and show me 'screen are out of range' ...my friend help me for my first installation...to bad at that time,i still don't really care about it....linux attract me with eye-candy look of compiz...so i assume that i use it only for that..no need to take serious about it...i will remove/uninstall it after i get boring with it....after that i break my system...my friend didn't want to help me this time...and i almost give up at this time....most of student using fedora in my university...i keep struggling to ask in chat (my campus) ...all around..asking help(i don't know yet at that time about forum and guide from internet)...it is really nightmare for me then....i can't use my computer for my study either...gfx-boot(redhat family booting system) give error...not detect hardware....that is mean i can't even use windows.....and is totally horrible experience .....but i'm glad till stay this today..my forst ubuntu is 6.06

3.i use ubuntu after realized that many of my friend use fedora and keep asking senior to help them each time they have problem.....i used to grow by my own feet since i was a kid..why i need to be like them...of course by the time being..i can learn with that...but i feel it will takes a lot of time......it is better if i learned from book...i went to library and read as much as i could...and when i realized there is forum...i learn a lot from other users.....i use ubuntu because i want to difference from my friend...from my senior...i want to depend on my own as much as i could....then i realized that ubuntu is faster than fedora....and don't give me 'screen out of range' problem to me....the best distro in distrowatch.com ....and ubuntu has really strong community....

4.my age is 19(this coming 17..huhu)

tbroderick
July 8th, 2007, 09:02 AM
1. Late 90s
2. Red Hat
3. Searching for the 'perfect' distro.
4. I don't. Doesn't fit my needs.
5. No thanks.

BL00dFox
July 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
1. June 2007 - My Friend told me about it
2. Ubuntu
3. The popularity, This forum
4. It seems a lot more snappier, I wanna learn more linux
5. 14 (turning 15 this September)

Atomic Dog
July 8th, 2007, 09:28 AM

1. Work was my first exposure a couple years ago

2. DSL was the first distro I ever fired up.

3. After trying a bunch of distros I found Ubuntu the most comfortable

4. I started using it just to learn about linux. Now I get the icky creepy crawlies when I have to use something different, plus the security is so much better.

5. 38 years old for another 3 weeks.

qazwsx
July 8th, 2007, 10:24 AM
1. Well you can hear the word Linux in in Finnish media quite rarely tough. That's just about it. I actually discovered Linux because I wanted to run more open source apps than possible in Windows.
2. Knoppix. I was very impressed beacause I have read that Linux was not designed for common people. On the other hand I later realised that the article was written before this millenuim :)
3. Great community. In Finland there are now 5300 registerd users in the forum ( in Finland there are only 5.3 million inhabtants). Well I use Kubuntu now.
4. I am a huge KDE addict ;) And everything just works
5. 23

lluisanunez
July 8th, 2007, 10:33 AM
1. In 2001
2. Mandrake, and then Fedora
3. I needed something that just works
4. It has all I need, and it works
5. 53

bonzodog
July 8th, 2007, 11:08 AM
1. When were you first introduced to Linux?

Soft Landing Systems, later to become Slackware. Had it on a web and mail server in a Cybercafe, which used BSD running a very basic X for the desktop machines. (ahead of its time? Maybe.)

I had been running Slackware since 1999 on my home machine as the Sole OS, and had just built myself a brand new AMD64 3000+ machine, and it was at about the time that Pat stopped bundling gnome with Slackware.
I decided I wanted a 64 bit distro to get the full power out of my new machine, and one that came with Gnome.
This was late 2005, and Ubuntu was just coming into its own, so I tried it. I have since stopped using Ubuntu as it seemed..bloated, and some of the packages were very badly built.
I missed the Slackware did things, and Zenwalk was on the Rise as a Slackware equivalent of Ubuntu. Admittedly, it's only 32 bit at the moment, but it's light and fast, and has suited me perfectly.

I don't. Zenwalk is now my sole distro of Choice. I continue to be a part of the community though, as this is by far the best Linux community on the planet, and also the biggest.

34, married with children almost as old as the OP, and Live in Ireland.

The_Major
July 8th, 2007, 11:33 AM

1. 1996
2. Redhat 4.0
3. I was sick of unfilled dependencies when installing rpm's and was looking for a deb distro, I discovered Ubuntu and have never looked back.
4. Great support community and extremely stable, plus excellent release schedule!
5. 34