PDA

View Full Version : Humble apology

Ted Nancy
July 8th, 2007, 01:14 AM
This is just a personal mea-culpa.

I posted in another thread about all the troubles I was having with sound on my new HP 530 laptop. I bought it primarily because of price and it had all intel insides, which previous experience taught me was pretty well supported by linux.

Imagine my dismay then after setting up a dual boot with Vista and having NO sound. Well, I literally tried it all. Every damn thing on this site. Sound is so fundamental to me that I gave up for a good month of two. But then, after a month of Vista my conscience got me. I just can't stand the philosophy behind Microsoft and patents and intellectual property. I decided that I could live without sound and that the benefits of getting away from all the license BS would be worth it.

I wiped my hard-drive, installed feisty, reset bios defaults, and when it came up, voila, sound goodness. Seriously, the only change was removing vista. After that, everything worked out of the box.

Anyway, in my original thread, in a fit of frustration, I railed against linux in general (since I had tried no less than four other distributions hoping to get sound).

So please consider this my sincere apology to the community. Thanks for all your help. Hope to return the favours some day.

Best,

Wiebelhaus
July 8th, 2007, 01:16 AM
no worries mate , I understand 100%

init1
July 8th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I find it disappointing that people have so many problems with Vista. If I am going to actually pay for software, it better be good. REALLY good.

RAV TUX
July 8th, 2007, 06:30 PM
I find it disappointing that people have so many problems with Vista. If I am going to actually pay for software, it better be good. REALLY good.

Vista is the best thing to happen to Linux.

To the OP:

Sounds Good!...no worries.;)

BarfBag
July 8th, 2007, 06:38 PM
All that counts now is that we have you back. :)

moffatt666
July 8th, 2007, 06:48 PM
No worries! Enjoy!

smoker
July 8th, 2007, 07:15 PM
welcome back:-)

if you want rid of your vista dvd, try this:
http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=movie

:-):-):-)

ice60
July 8th, 2007, 07:47 PM
it took ubuntu a year to support all the hardware on my new computer when i first got it. i just installed a different distro instead, now i dual boot suse and ubuntu, although i think it would probably be better to dual-boot something like arch or gentoo or slackware with suse or ubuntu.

Taino
July 8th, 2007, 08:07 PM
Sometimes having patience with linux pays off big in the end, stability, security, support, pricing. (free)

I thought this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno) was funny.