PDA

View Full Version : what multimedia library do you use?

racoq
July 8th, 2007, 12:57 AM
All i have to say is that i'm totally disappointed that ubuntu releases bundle gstreamer library's for video rendering.
IMHO and in simple worlds, it PLAIN SUCKS!
Xine engine for rendering of any type of video format is far superior. I was trying to see one of the live earth streaming links, and gstreamer not even showed on firefox, as when i've installed tottem-xine, it played at the first time with great quality and nologg.

I simply don't understand why the ubuntu developers, keep insisting in bundling totem-gstreamer on ubuntu, and not totem-xine.

any opinions on that?

starcraft.man
July 8th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I've never had any problem at all with gstreamer. For streaming from sites, use this plugin for firefox. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446)

I don't see the problem, xine is just one click or command away for anyone with a problem.

racoq
July 8th, 2007, 01:30 AM
I've never had any problem at all with gstreamer. For streaming from sites, use this plugin for firefox. (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446)

I don't see the problem, xine is just one click or command away for anyone with a problem.

it was not the firefox plugin... Since when i have installed totem-xine it perfectly rendered the videos on my browser, without having to install a firefox plugin. The problem was in rendering with totem-gstreamer.

This is not the first time i have problems with gstreamer, and i never got any problem with xine. is just that gstreamer doesn't feel as mature as xine. And i've been seeing similar opinions regarding this point, on these forums.

racoq
July 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM
any more thoughts?

qazwsx
July 8th, 2007, 12:29 PM
mplayer (in konqueror for M$ formats essentially ) and xine for amarok and kaffeine

maduranga
July 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I use Xine and Xine-UI to play video files. I just like them

stepan2
July 18th, 2007, 07:47 PM
i use xine

Laterix
July 18th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Gstreamer is superior in technical point of view. It's capable of some much more than Xine. It doesn't support all closed codecs as well at the moment, but it's easy to extend gstreamer with new codecs, encoders, decoders etc. I can see why Ubuntu devs has chosen gstreamer. That's because they understand about technology and can see the benefits of using such a flexible multimedia framework. End users don't understand these things always and decisions may seem odd. But believe me, devs know what they are doing. :)

AlexenderReez
July 18th, 2007, 08:40 PM
i suppose can't vote because i use xine and gstream....but as i more relay on gstream..so i vote for it....