PDA

View Full Version : Smart package manager

forrestcupp
July 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM
If the Smart package manager is as great as they say it is, why doesn't Ubuntu use it by default? And is its dependency management compatible with apt?

Vajra Vrtti
July 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Because it is still in beta testing?

ButteBlues
July 8th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Because Debian's repositories are huge and its packaging process is proven?

Vajra Vrtti
July 8th, 2007, 02:56 AM
From the Smart FAQ:

How stable is Smart?
It does work pretty good, and has been used either in testing and production environments on many Mandriva, Debian, Fedora Core and Slackware systems. Even though it should mostly work just fine, some features have been more tested than others, and it is possible that important bugs still remain in the code.

23meg
July 8th, 2007, 03:08 AM
If the Smart package manager is as great as they say it is

Who are "they"?

why doesn't Ubuntu use it by default?

The plan was to integrate Smart into Edgy, but as far as I know, it still messed up in some not-too-uncommon use cases. The main developer is employed by Canonical, and efforts from many leading Ubuntu contributors has gone into Smart; it's quite likely that we'll see it in future releases, but as usual, it's hard to tell which.

forrestcupp
July 8th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Because Debian's repositories are huge and its packaging process is proven?

From what I can see, smart uses Debian repositories or whatever repos you tell it to. It's not a packaging system, but rather a package manager.

The plan was to integrate Smart into Edgy, but as far as I know, it still messed up in some not-too-uncommon use cases. The main developer is employed by Canonical, and efforts from many leading Ubuntu contributors has gone into Smart; it's quite likely that we'll see it in future releases, but as usual, it's hard to tell which.
So it isn't dead and we still may see it coming.

Would you say it's dangerous to use now? And is its dependency management compatible with apt's?

SunnyRabbiera
July 8th, 2007, 03:32 AM
From what I can see, smart uses Debian repositories or whatever repos you tell it to. It's not a packaging system, but rather a package manager.

yup, it works fairly well here on PClinuxos but yeh synaptic is better in my opinion.
Smart seems lighter though, but overall I dont think at this stage it is a good replacement

init1
July 8th, 2007, 05:05 PM
If the Smart package manager is as great as they say it is, why doesn't Ubuntu use it by default? And is its dependency management compatible with apt?
I think Synaptic is fine. No reason to replace it.

Polygon
July 8th, 2007, 05:42 PM
"if it aint broke, dont fix it..."

Andrewie
July 8th, 2007, 05:47 PM

just like we didn't have a need for personal computers.

Atomic Dog
July 8th, 2007, 06:01 PM

Yes. I believe in this philosophy...to a point. Obviously right now there is little reason to bail on Synaptic.

forrestcupp
July 8th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Well, there are a couple of reasons to bail on Synaptic (and Smart isn't the answer to either).

1. It's based on GTK2, and I use KDE - I know I can use GTK apps, but a good native version would be nice, and Adept isn't a good solution.

2. It uses apt-get instead of aptitude. With apt-get, Synaptic, and Adept, I can install kde-amusements which is a metapackage for all of the KDE games, educational software, and toys. Then when I uninstall kde-amusements it only uninstalls the metapackage, but not any of the apps that it actually installed earlier. With aptitude, it uninstalls everything.

Smart package manager is GTK, but it seamed like it would take care of my #2 problem. Why isn't there a good GUI based on aptitude? I know about the command line GUI, but that's a pain to use.

bread eyes
July 8th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Because it is still in beta testing?

pretty much

ice60
July 8th, 2007, 10:41 PM
i've used smart for about a year, not on ubuntu though. i seems ok to me, i don't like using the CLI version though and mainly use the GUI

i took a picture

qazwsx
July 8th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Well, there are a couple of reasons to bail on Synaptic (and Smart isn't the answer to either).

1. It's based on GTK2, and I use KDE - I know I can use GTK apps, but a good native version would be nice, and Adept isn't a good solution.

Kpackage(apt-get install kpackage) ( apt frontend etc ) is actually quite good and has some nice features like some kind of rpm support. Not as good as synpatic but pretty nice tough.

linux_learner
April 9th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Perhaps reading the book I am working on will help with understanding a few things. I also welcome feedback and questions. The link for the book via html is here (http://thecompletecomputerresource.com/main/en/node/26) or if you want to download the book, which is a work in progress, you can find that here http://downloads.thecompletecomputerresource.com/smart/smartbook.odm

I did the original documentation over 2 years ago. Now I am trying to improve it.

The QT feature of smart hasn't been done yet, simply because we prefer to improve other features. I personally am working on a revised gui. But that is also in gtk. I do plan, once finished with the gtk revision, to do the qt interface.

hyper_ch
April 9th, 2008, 07:28 AM

Just you CLI all the way ;)

bone2006
April 17th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I tried smart package manager on both ubuntu 7.10 and opensuse 10.3 and smart package manager is great on opensuse, but horribly slow on ubuntu.

Just do sudo apt-get install smartpm

make sure you update smart package manager
sudo smart update

then check out the time and compare it to apt-get

$time sudo apt-cache search vlc

then compare it to

$time sudo smart search vlc

I tried this on 3 boxes, two had flavors of ubuntu and the other one was opensuse 10.3

opensuse -> much faster for smart package manager
ubuntu -> apt-get much faster

I did a lot of testing of not just searching, but actually installing software. On an ubuntu server system smart package manager was beyond slow.............

So I'm sticking with apt-get/synaptic on ubuntu

ingeon
December 5th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Also using Opensuse1x.x with smart and loving it. One thing though is with smart one can do a complete installation, install extras using smart and since i am a newbie use "smart config --set remove-packages=false" it keeps copies of the rpms so i can do offline installation and pass them to friends and not waste bandwidth everytime i format (bandwidth is a huge issue some places and the time it takes)

Now i thought of using smart on ubuntu for the same reason, but it`s not that easy.
Can i use apt or any other native ubuntu installer to keep copies of offline files to use the same way?
And how?

Any recommendations would be appreciated,

Ref: http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/archives-software/342000-offline-restricted-format-rpms.html

hyper_ch
December 5th, 2008, 09:58 AM
all downloaded packages are being stored in /var/cache/apt/[archives]

Not sure about the final folder but you'll see it when you go look for it.

Slug71
January 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong but as i understand, Smart package manager is a backend and therefore replaces APT and NOT Synaptic.

Canonical has been funding Smart since 2005 and has one or more of its developers working on it along with devs. from Mandriva, Fedora and OpenSuse.

C/P from Smart's Website:

The Smart Package Manager project has the ambitious objective of creating smart and portable algorithms for solving adequately the problem of managing software upgrades and installation. This tool works in all major distributions and will bring notable advantages over native tools currently in use (APT, APT-RPM, YUM, URPMI, etc).

Notice that this project is not a magical bridge between every distribution in the planet. Instead, this is software offering better package management for these distributions when working with their native packages. Using multiple packaging systems at the same time (like rpm and dpkg) is possible but would require packages from those systems to follow the same packaging guidelines. As this is not the case at the moment, mixing package systems is not recommended.

Slug71
January 10th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Synaptic will anyhow at least in part be replaced by Packagekit.

Smart Package Manager is already in the repos(smartpm) and so is Packagekit along with the Packagekit backend for Smart.

Slug71
January 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Link to Smart's Website(scroll down to credits to see the parties involved):

http://labix.org/smart

Link to a poll in the Ubuntu Idea Pool:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1036322

Link to Brainstorm:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17172/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17172/)

ingeon
May 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM
all downloaded packages are being stored in /var/cache/apt/[archives]

Not sure about the final folder but you'll see it when you go look for it.

great, thanks.

I have been using APT and Smartpm and noticed packages in smart that does not appear in APT/Synaptic packet manager.
An example would be Nvidia drivers (did apt-get update and nvidia on 177.xx, did smart channel update and nvidia
on 180.xx. The one right after the other).

I just changed Software Sources to my local country locale after fresh installation,
not sure how to add more channels without typing myself blue every time i want something extra.
Any advice... (both smart and apt).
Lets say i want to add stuff from ftp://ubuntu.mirror.ac.za which is closest.
I feel a little lost between [archive&indices&pool&project&ubuntu]

I also tried adding a channel in smart but don`t know where to go.
I need some help here please or a point in the right direction.