PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Wine regularly?

zodmaner
July 7th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Hi guys.

Well, as my experience with Wine was, shall we say, not so good. Of all applications/games that I've tried to run with it, only RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 manages to work flawlessly.

So I wonder, how do you guys think of it? Do you use it to run a program that you use regularly? (Be it games or other Windows programs).

PatrickMay16
July 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I use it to run some things like an old visual basic program a friend wrote for me, my favorite SNES music player, and some small tools for music and other things, and a few old games.

Wine is very useful to me, and I'd be unhappy to have to do without it. I'd like to give a big thanks to the wine development team for such a useful program.

Andrewie
July 7th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I use it for utorrent and World of Warcraft (wowscape).

x0as
July 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I dont use it, I find it easier to have a vmware xp image for any windows software I need to use.

FuturePilot
July 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
I've used it once. But I really don't have anything I need to run in it. Pretty much all of the Linux equivalents do the job, and some of them even better!:D

vexorian
July 7th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I think I'll get a virtual machine for win32 programming (no directx).

WINE is simply not good enough to me for the apps I miss from windows at least. I've found however that it is really good at running simple win32 games like minesweeper and some old freware games I got from a lot of time ago.

Ralob
July 7th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I use it daily; great program that will only get better with time.

Andrewie
July 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM
to be fair wine really annoys me but when you fine that odd program that works its great.

Papi-KB7VGW
July 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
So far, I have only used it to run Agent. I tried the Linux newsreaders and while they worked ok I missed Agent. Haven't tried any games yet. :)

lenaubry
July 7th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I tried it for a while but found a virtual machine to be a better option.

Ardrias
July 7th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I use it for uTorrent and WoW, both run rather perfect. Also use it for Ventrilo because the guild insists on using it... and TS2 is OSS which is meh.

Warpnow
July 7th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I use it currently, but I intend to do the thing where Windows runs as a VM on top of linux so you have both OSs. Once that works I won't need wine. Waiting for the Ubuntu Ultimate CD to do that on my desktop :D

ceelo
July 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I used it for uTorrent until I realized it was slowing my machine down way too much. So I just use Azureus now. I don't even have WINE installed.

Sunflower1970
July 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I use it for DVD Decrypter and DVDFab HD Decrypter, but I use those programs rarely anyway....Otherwise I just use XP in a VMWare if I really want to use XP

macogw
July 7th, 2007, 10:54 PM
There needs to be a "I never use it" option on that poll for people like me who don't even bother installing it. I had installed once for IE4Linux, but now I go with "I'll code to web standards and have it be right, and if it looks bad on IE, the idiots can upgrade"

gabhla
July 7th, 2007, 10:59 PM
"I don't use it". Don't want to use, because I don't need it. No Windows here.

Eggnog
July 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I dont use it, I find it easier to have a vmware xp image for any windows software I need to use.

That's my plan of attack as well. I can't live without Quicken and a couple of other Win apps. I fiddled around with Quicken in WINE but never could get it to work properly. With a VM running XP I can just fire it up, minimize it, and bring it up when I want to do something in Win. I don't know if that's the best way but it works well for me.

thisllub
July 8th, 2007, 12:05 AM
The only things I have tried it on are proprietary Windows stuff like the Iriver E10 software. Unfortunately it doesn't work.
It would be nice if accounting stuff like MYOB ran under wine.I might test it.

AriciU
July 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
I use it daily with uTorrent. That's my only use for wine actually.

VChief
July 8th, 2007, 12:26 AM
I only use it for WoW. That's the only Windows program I "need."

Fenryr
July 8th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Well, since I can't get the bloody thing to work at ALL, I'd have to say it sucks big time....But that's just one old fart's opinion...*g*

stmiller
July 8th, 2007, 12:33 AM
When ever I cook a good chicken dish, I do use a bit of wine in the sauce.

vexorian
July 8th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Well, since I can't get the bloody thing to work at ALL, I'd have to say it sucks big time....But that's just one old fart's opinion...*g*
How come? As in you get WINE package from synaptic then you go to command line on the folder where exe is located, you do "wine ./somebasicwin32app.exe" and it doesn't work?

jrusso2
July 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I was using it to run a yahoo chat client for a while but it didn't run that well. Right now I don't really have a use for it.

Fenryr
July 8th, 2007, 01:16 AM
How come? As in you get WINE package from synaptic then you go to command line on the folder where exe is located, you do "wine ./somebasicwin32app.exe" and it doesn't work?

I've installed it half a dozen different ways, including thru Synaptec, and never gotten it to work...It's crap...And aside from a few games I can just dual boot for, I don't have a use for it anymore anyway...

vexorian
July 8th, 2007, 01:19 AM
but what's what happens? / how do you know it doesn't work?

Fenryr
July 8th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Gee, I guess it doesn't work because no programs will run? Such as Fallout or Fallout 2, or any of my OTHER old favourite Win games? This ain't exactly my first rodeo, you know...The USUAL problem is that it simply won't create the fake C drive it seems to want, or it creates it and then DELETES it as soon as I close the program, or it creates it but then won't install or load any SOFTWARE to it...In short, wine is CRAP...I'll stick with BEER, thanks...
Besides, we have enough hardware layin' around here to not only make sure that everyone has their own machine, but I can cobble together enough hardware to make a WIN machine just for gaming on...So why BOTHER arguing with a crap prg?

Sandlst
July 8th, 2007, 01:27 AM
I use it for World of Warcraft, besides that I try to use native programs for all my needs, since I generally like those better anyway :P Also, I've used it to install the extra modules from Neverwinter Nights Diamond edition, and Ill probably run vent on it if my guild in wow ever raids.

daiolw
July 8th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Use it every day for Eve Online. Works near flawlessly.

A_POET
July 8th, 2007, 01:59 AM
i use both wine and virt machine....i have been using wine as a means to use plugins for audio software (vst) in my linux. without that capability, i would never be able to use ubuntu the way i do now...because i would have to boot into windows when i wanted to get down musical ideas.

so to sum, i use wine for music software and utorrent...and convert x to dvd...all these work well for me

i use vmware for adobe, and testing html in IE.

i dont game on computer other than the occasional snes rom or something so blah....

wine is great, but just like the drink, its best used sparingly :)

Dyegov
July 8th, 2007, 02:30 AM
I recently installed the latest version, but I rarely use it.

jcconnor
July 8th, 2007, 06:50 AM
There should be a 3rd choice of occasional use as I use Picassa which is wine based.

Arathorn
July 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I use Wine every day for Foobar2000 and eMule. aMule doesn't get me as much sources as eMule does and there really is no equivalent of Foobar2000 on Linux (no, not even Amarok). I used to have a lot of stuttering with audio in Wine, but the latest two releases almost completely fixed it for me.

slimdog360
July 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM
i dont really drink all that much

urukrama
July 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM
I use it almost daily. Unfortunately, most dictionaries I use don't have a linux version. Almost all dictionaries/thesauruses/... I tried to install with wine worked fine, though I had to crack the copy protection on some discs (which I had bought) because they did not allow wine to use the program.

I don't use wine for anything else. It is a last resort, but one that I'm very happy to use.

BL00dFox
July 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM
I tried it for a while but found a virtual machine to be a better option.

I Agree.

Andrewie
July 8th, 2007, 02:25 PM
i dont really drink all that much

:lolflag:

init1
July 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I've used it once. But I really don't have anything I need to run in it. Pretty much all of the Linux equivalents do the job, and some of them even better!:D
Like the OS itself.

Brindled
July 10th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I use Wine every day for Foobar2000 and eMule. aMule doesn't get me as much sources as eMule does and there really is no equivalent of Foobar2000 on Linux (no, not even Amarok). I used to have a lot of stuttering with audio in Wine, but the latest two releases almost completely fixed it for me.

I've just recently switched wholly to ubuntu (except for gaming which isn't saying much), and for the last week or so I've been hunting down the best media player(s). Today of all days, i decided to install foobar2000 with Wine, and it is clearly the winner, in my opinion, by mere simplicity.

I'm pretty sure I'll be using Wine every day.

original_jamingrit
July 11th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I have just successfully tried for the first time, earlier today. It doesn't work great with Starcraft on my system, but there's still probably a few things I can do to optimize it.

ha ha, foobar is an awesome name for a music player.

vexorian
July 11th, 2007, 04:56 AM
perhaps you got to init it in opengl mode such as wine ./starcraft.exe -opengl

mwacky
July 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM
I agree, a virtual machine was a better option for me, I found wine was difficult to get working but I'm a novice....

Spr0k3t
July 13th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Damn... I couldn't vote.

"I don't use wine"

Scruffynerf
July 13th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Hardly ever. Whilst I appreciate the efforts that the devs go to on it, I think that it's an impossible and thankless task. Also, as the API's that they are mimicking are changing rapidly (ignoring Vista), they can't keep up.

FWIW, I think that virtualisation technology will overtake the project - and I hope it does. Oblivion running on a virtual XP install would be nice, excluding the memory problems.

deepclutch
July 13th, 2007, 06:58 AM
though i appreciate devels working on wine,I have to say i never use(s) it.yes as above post,I'll say virtualization technology are the future

steven8
July 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM
I drink at least 2 glasses a day, and my wife plays the game Soda Pipes via wine every day.

Circus-Killer
July 13th, 2007, 07:06 AM
i dont use wine or VM technology.

LuisAugusto
July 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I don't need to use it. It's slow, buggy ugly, and I don't miss any application. (Maybe foobar2000 :P, but it's just one app, and it's not that important)

AndyCooll
July 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I use it daily. Purely to run Football Manager 2007.

:cool: