PDA

View Full Version : Would you use Linux if there was no CUI/CLI?

init1
July 7th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I was surprised with the other thread, so I made this.
For me, Yes, but I wouldn't like it as much

Lord Illidan
July 7th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I don't think so, no..

init1
July 7th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I would still use Live CDs, and maybe have it on my hard drive, but it wouldn't be as fun.

Afoot
July 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM
There is no spoon.

maniacmusician
July 7th, 2007, 09:00 PM
I was surprised with the other thread, so I made this.
For me, Yes, but I wouldn't like it as much
Edit
I forgot to add a poll!
Could someone add it for me?
Yes, but I wouldn't like it as much
Yes, I don't like the command line
No
Not sure
You can add a poll yourself. I think it's under "Thread Tools"...one of those options, anyways.

Maybe. I'm not sure. CLI makes everything so much faster. And there's a whole plethora of stuff that can only be competently done through the CLI. Making it GUI-only would stunt its abilities by quite a lot...but then again, taking away the GUI would do the same. I like it the way it is...

dasunst3r
July 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Now that I am real entrenched in Linux, I definitely find the CLI extremely useful. As a matter of fact, there are some things I can do faster on command line than I can graphically.

FuturePilot
July 7th, 2007, 09:09 PM
No CLI. Forget it. I love the terminal.

walkerk
July 7th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Thats funny.. I love the power of the command line but how many of you actually use it as opposed to the gui? be honest..

Yes.. I would still use it.. whats the alternative.. windows and dos? :/

Andrewie
July 7th, 2007, 09:17 PM
how would they remove the CLI? and if it was removed no other system would have a CLI so no one would miss it. My answer, yes

init1
July 7th, 2007, 09:23 PM
You can add a poll yourself. I think it's under "Thread Tools"...one of those options, anyways.

Maybe. I'm not sure. CLI makes everything so much faster. And there's a whole plethora of stuff that can only be competently done through the CLI. Making it GUI-only would stunt its abilities by quite a lot...but then again, taking away the GUI would do the same. I like it the way it is...
Oh, didn't realize. I thought an admin had to do it.

init1
July 7th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Surprising. Most people want the command line, but won't leave the GUI.

tbroderick
July 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Thats funny.. I love the power of the command line but how many of you actually use it as opposed to the gui? be honest..

I use it everyday for music (mpd), rss (newsbeuter), email (mutt), downloading (wget), ftp (lftp), cd/dvd burning (dvd+rwtools, cdrkit), etc. So if they removed the CLI, which will never happen, I would install FreeBSD.

macogw
July 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
No, the lack of a usable CLI on Windows (I know it exists, but it doesn't actually do anything useful) is one reason I avoid it.

Alternatives would be BSD and OSX.

init1
July 8th, 2007, 02:52 AM
I use it everyday for music (mpd), rss (newsbeuter), email (mutt), downloading (wget), ftp (lftp), cd/dvd burning (dvd+rwtools, cdrkit), etc. So if they removed the CLI, which will never happen, I would install FreeBSD.
They have frountends for all of those, but it would be wasteful if you could just use the command line.

the_darkside_986
July 8th, 2007, 03:28 AM
No way. I MUST have a command line in order to develop homebrew for the PSP. How else am I supposed to type "make" and "make kxploit" and see the results clearly? But I also need the GUI to run most of my applications. Also, the bash shell is very helpful because it allows one to see what commands are available just by pressing the TAB key a few times. I never could figure out how to do something similar in the MS Windows shell.

argie
July 8th, 2007, 05:36 AM
I don't know, I'd probably be able to get around, but it would seriously cripple the whole thing. I really have got the hang of the CLI and it is very useful. So no, I do not think I would use Linux if the CLI was hidden or something.

Polygon
July 8th, 2007, 05:50 AM
the command line is pretty useful... i mean when i dont want to wait for synaptic to load, i just use the CLI to install programs. I use it to quickly see if a file is in a specific spot, to easily create folders, checkout stuff using SVN

i really like the fact that there IS a GUI, but if you want to, the CLI is still every bit as capable and even more powerful then the GUI. The balance is perfect i think.

init1
July 8th, 2007, 06:13 AM
the command line is pretty useful... i mean when i dont want to wait for synaptic to load, i just use the CLI to install programs. I use it to quickly see if a file is in a specific spot, to easily create folders, checkout stuff using SVN

i really like the fact that there IS a GUI, but if you want to, the CLI is still every bit as capable and even more powerful then the GUI. The balance is perfect i think.
Yeah, I actually prefer file management with the terminal because if I know I want to delete /root/thefile, I don't have to sort through all the other files.

Peder_Erickson
July 8th, 2007, 06:29 AM
I wouldn't remove it, the CLI still works if xorg.conf is screwed up, unlike the GUI...

init1
July 25th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I wouldn't remove it, the CLI still works if xorg.conf is screwed up, unlike the GUI...
You can't remove the CLI. Unless you want to redo the OS like MS did.

Depressed Man
July 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah, but it's be slightly harder. I'm use to using the terminal for certain actions.