PDA

View Full Version : Heres one for the always underlooked tobacco chewers

R3linquish3r
July 7th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Well I remember reading a thread for smokers a while back and seeing all these threads about who drinks what beer/tea/ect. I thought I'd bring back the tobacco thread for the little guys. The majority of tobacco users smoke. But what about you people that do chew/snuff? What floats your boat?

Myself?
I've been hooked on Skoal's new Citrus Blend since the day it came out. Tastes AND smells great which for me is hard to find. Girls that tell me they hate the stuff tell me they love the smell of this so they make an exception. :D

jrusso2
July 7th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Chewing tobacco is just gross and I can't imagine kissing a guy who chews.

R3linquish3r
July 7th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Ehh your entitled to an opinion. I've been lucky enough to have 2 girlfriends that tolerated it (to an extent :P) Others just tell me not to do it around them which I am happy enough to oblige to.

ThinkBuntu
July 7th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Next, I'll fire up a thread for the Coca chewers :^)

diesel1
July 7th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Next, I'll fire up a thread for the Coca chewers :^)

If you are going to do that(ie. not tobacco related) ;) what about eating Sativa strongus!

Diesel1. 8-}

init1
July 7th, 2007, 01:49 AM
I don't really feel like getting cancer or spending hundreds of dolors a year, so I'll pass.

diesel1
July 7th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I don't really feel like getting cancer or spending hundreds of dolors a year, so I'll pass.

What would you be spending hundreds of dollars a year on?

Diesel1.

tehhaxorr
July 7th, 2007, 03:19 AM
What's with this anti tobacco stigma everywhere? People need to realize it's a personal choice, comments about getting cancer are just plain stupid, especially from Chewing Tobacco... the chances of cancer are slightly raised... but are by no means garunteed.

I've never chewed tobacco, not much of a smoker either.

steveneddy
July 7th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Chewing tobacco is just gross and I can't imagine kissing a guy who chews.

I don't chew.

:D

init1
July 7th, 2007, 04:56 AM
What would you be spending hundreds of dollars a year on?

Diesel1.
Tobacco. It adds up.

tehhaxorr
July 7th, 2007, 05:05 AM
Tobacco. It adds up.

Why do you care what he spends his money on, it's his choice. what do you spend your money on? Cars? computers? why would i want to spend hundreds a year on something that you like doing?

Bit of a hypocritical statement right? And i thought people in the open source community were more open to personal freedoms...

roachk71
July 7th, 2007, 05:35 AM
I used to chew quite a bit, but I've been trying to quit all of my old tobacco habits. My favorites used to be Apple Jack (plug), Red Man and Copenhagen. :mrgreen:

When I'm desperate enough to at least pause my smoking habits, I still chew every once in a while.

Tundro Walker
July 7th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Tobacco is one of the most criticized herbs of our modern time, next to the Dandelion.

Tobacco was originally used by the Native Amer-Indians as an anti-parasitic, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial (because nicotine is a contact poison). It also acted as an appetite suppressant, which helped on the trail when food was getting low, or during seasons when animal populations dwindled. Applied with bandages, the nicotine in tobacco ensured the wound stayed clean...gangrene preventative.

Native Americans, over time, evolved to tolerate tobacco and nicotine, but other cultures it was introduced to during the 1700's have not. Thus, it has promoted cancer out-breaks, which have also been fueled by poor diet and lack of proper nutrition. The fact that nicotine is an irritant and contact poison isn't exactly a "good thing" these days when used constantly. Native Americans used it as a medicinal, which it's still good for. Through time, they built up a tolerance, but didn't smoke it as much as folks smoke today. It was usually used a few times daily, like having a smoke after dinner. Native Americans weren't exactly "3 pack a day" smokers (although some medicine men were, or shamen's who used nicotine's hallucinigenic capability when used in large quantities to try to bring on visions).

Because we have other medicines to replace it today, tobacco's use has is no longer seen as "necessary" and it's looked down upon for the ill-effects it can cause. But, other medicines can have bad side-effects, too..."may cause bleeding ulcer, headache, nausea, etc". I recall the folks who used Phen-Phen as a weightloss drug had all kinds of issues. And folks using Ma Huang for the Ephedra are havng issues, because they're mis-using it (or over-using it).

Side note, there's this gardner guy's show PBS sometimes plays where he uses a concentrated nicotine spray to irritate insects in gardens. The nicotine, again contact poison, gets in their trachiolle's and kills them off pretty quick while being benign to the plants.

So, how the mighty has fallen. I personally don't think tobacco should be used so much as it is (3 packs a day...seriously, you have issues, or dipping a can of snuff a day...again, ease up). But, periodic use can be beneficial. Due to social stigma, though, you get looked down upon when you use it.

fuscia
July 7th, 2007, 04:12 PM
any cud chewers here?

init1
July 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Why do you care what he spends his money on, it's his choice. what do you spend your money on? Cars? computers? why would i want to spend hundreds a year on something that you like doing?

Bit of a hypocritical statement right? And i thought people in the open source community were more open to personal freedoms...
I wasn't criticizing, I was just stating.

Sir Nose
July 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Tobacco is one of the most criticized herbs of our modern time, next to the Dandelion.

Native Americans, over time, evolved to tolerate tobacco and nicotine, but other cultures it was introduced to during the 1700's have not. Thus, it has promoted cancer out-breaks, which have also been fueled by poor diet and lack of proper nutrition. The fact that nicotine is an irritant and contact poison isn't exactly a "good thing" these days when used constantly.

I don't think any race/group of people have "evolved" to cope with carcinogens. Tobacco of the 2000's is more toxic than the stuff Native Americans smoked, because of modern production methods. If it was organically grown - and used similar way the indians did - maybe it wouldn't be such health hazard.

jrusso2
July 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
One theory has been proposed that cancer from smoking maybe caused by radiation.

http://www.acsa2000.net/HealthAlert/radioactive_tobacco.html

http://www.epa.gov/radtown/tobacco.htm

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11974-tobaccos-radiation-dose-far-higher-than-leaves-at-chernobyl.html