PDA

View Full Version : Computing Is Fun Again

treblesix
July 7th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Hi,

I would just like to take the opportunity to thank all involved with the Ubuntu project. It's made computing fun again. I have never used an OS that feels so alive since I used the Amiga.

In the last few months many of my colleagues in the IT dept I work in have migrated their work machines over to Ubuntu, myself included. I have a virtual XP box for my .NET development, and use the excellent BlueFish editor for my classic ASP stuff.
At home I dont use Windows at all now (apart from needing Shockwave for some educational sites for my daughter)
Everything is fantastic. I have only been usinbg it for about two months, but I have loved it since i first used it, and it keeps amazing me, the more i delve deeper into it.

Diolch yn fawr bawb i Ubuntu / thank you everyone for Ubuntu!

:D \\:D/

FoolsGold_MKII
July 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Was one of the major reasons I moved to Linux too. I had learnt pretty much all I could about Windows and had become bored. Linux certainly isn't boring. :)

smoker
July 7th, 2007, 12:37 AM
welcome:-)

macogw
July 7th, 2007, 12:43 AM

:D \\:D/

So, aside from "diolch" which I understood, how does each of those words individually translate in Welsh?

treblesix
July 7th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by treblesix View Post

So, aside from "diolch" which I understood, how does each of those words individually translate in Welsh?

diolch = thanks
yn fawr = big,lots (verb)
bawb = everyone (mutates from pawb, as it isn't a verb)

--- EDIT

Don't quote me on that thought! lol
Only been learning 17 months!

Redache
July 7th, 2007, 01:05 AM

"Yn Fawr" directly translated is "Big" so "diolch yn fawr" translates as "big thanks". "bawb" translates as "Everyone".

So a complete direct translation would be "Big thanks to everyone for/at Ubuntu".

But obviously that doesn't sit right so the more common translation of that sentence is "Thank you everyone for Ubuntu".

Basically isn't it.

Welsh is an interesting language, it's my first language but I don't speak it nearly enough since leaving school. Plus it has some frustrating grammatical rules that are easy to forget to use "properly" and Academics are currently destroying the language.

macogw
July 7th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Welsh is an interesting language, it's my first language but I don't speak it nearly enough since leaving school. Plus it has some frustrating grammatical rules that are easy to forget to use "properly" and Academics are currently destroying the language.

What do you mean by "Academics are currently destroying the language"?

One of my computer science teachers (we call him PJ because he's Prof. Price Jones--he said in Northern Wales Jones is such a common name that they use 2 names to differentiate--and that's too long to bother saying) put the Welsh flag up on the projector at the start of class and was very excited Wales that day. I think it was St. David's Day. When he asked what to use for input on the sorting algorithm we were doing, a girl said to use Welsh things. The large difference between what most kids saw on the board and how he pronounced it was probably a bit confusing for them (I learned the alphabet before, so I recognized most of it). Afterward I told him he should've used Llanfair PG (except I said the long name), and he asked where I learned to say it (because holy crap it's a mouthful!) and when I said I learned it when I was there he said I must've been right by his house because he's from that area. I still think Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch is a fun word and would've gotten lot of O_O from the class.

Spr0k3t
July 7th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I've found many former Amiga users have migrated their way over to Linux, myself as one of them. I've seen them in many distros from Gentoo to Ubuntu. In some groups, you will find Amiga users are attacked. Here on the other hand, Amiga users are respected as it really was a computer system way ahead of the game. If it wasn't for poor management, many of us would be running Amiga like clones. However, thanks to the politics of how my friend Bill McEwan and his crew are running the show... it seems the call has finally been made to abandon ship.

So, welcome to the land of Linux. Feel free to ask any questions. If I can't answer them... I'm sure there will be many others who will be more than capable.

Ralob
July 7th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I have to agree with the OP. I finally feel excited again whenever I hear about new programs being developed, released, or refined. In XP, I dreaded installing new software because I figured a month or two down the line it would just burden the harddrive into being that much slower and inefficient. Ubuntu/Linux definitely makes computing more enjoyable :D

treblesix
July 8th, 2007, 12:40 AM
The only really annoying thing is trying to play DVD's. Its a nightmare!
Maybe i'm missing a player which just plays them.
Ogle is the only thing, and its crap at it, that can see DVD menus.

I just wanna play my FF VII - Advent Children DVD, and its just like banging my head against a wall!

Omnios
July 8th, 2007, 04:08 AM
My interest in Computing has turned Fun again for about three years now using Ubuntu.

I literally looked at my XP box one day and thought it might make a nice useless screen saver planter which really got me ticking.

Edit I really like script hacking with Ubuntu

univremonster
July 18th, 2007, 07:21 PM
If anybody's interested in fixing the shockwave problem:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?linuxswp

MetalOverlord
July 18th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Agreed. I'd gotten very bored with Wndows. Not to mention extremely ticked about security and licensing issues. The move to linux was a no-brainer. I worked in IT for 20 years and already had some experience with linux servers. Linux desktop is a whole different ball game! I'm thoroughly enjoying this whole new world called the linux desktop that is, in so many ways, better than windows. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

treblesix
July 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM
If anybody's interested in fixing the shockwave problem:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?linuxswp

I have just signed that, and will pass it on.

Goliath!
July 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM
Ubuntu is so fun I was addicted from the first time I put that Live CD in the drive. Refer to my earlier post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=387517

Great big thanks for Ubuntu!
Vielen Dank fur Ubuntu!
Spacebo za Ubuntu!
Arigatoo gozaimasu Ubuntu-de!
or whatever

Crashmaxx
July 23rd, 2007, 11:17 PM
The only really annoying thing is trying to play DVD's. Its a nightmare!
Maybe i'm missing a player which just plays them.
Ogle is the only thing, and its crap at it, that can see DVD menus.

I just wanna play my FF VII - Advent Children DVD, and its just like banging my head against a wall!

I'll assume you have the Universe and Restricted repos selected and you have whatever vid players you prefer.

If so, to get DVD's to play you just need to do these two lines:

sudo aptitude install libdvdplay0 libdvdcss2 libdvdread3 libdvdnav4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

And you should then be able to play DVD's in Totem or whatever your like. I believe you only really need libdvdcss2 but it is nice to do the rest of the DVD related ones while your at it.

Zzl1xndd
July 23rd, 2007, 11:29 PM
Making the move to Linux and recently Ubuntu has made my computing life a lot more fun and a lot better. I spend more time playing games,Working on things or testing new software then I ever did on windows cause I spent all my Time scanning and rebooting and such.

treblesix
July 24th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I'll assume you have the Universe and Restricted repos selected and you have whatever vid players you prefer.

If so, to get DVD's to play you just need to do these two lines:

sudo aptitude install libdvdplay0 libdvdcss2 libdvdread3 libdvdnav4
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

And you should then be able to play DVD's in Totem or whatever your like. I believe you only really need libdvdcss2 but it is nice to do the rest of the DVD related ones while your at it.

Hi,

It seems I can play DVD's through my DVD writer, but it doesn't recognise them through my DVD-Rom for some reason.
I am using Xine, which i think is a really nice player.