What is it like?

http://www.edubuntu.org/

Henrik
July 16th, 2005, 02:31 PM
It's not out yet :)

It will be based on Breezy.

BWF89
July 16th, 2005, 02:42 PM
The aim is to deliver a turnkey solution that enables time-poor educators with mid-range technical skills to set up a computer lab and/or establish an online learning environment with as few clicks as humanly possible, then administer that environment without having to significantly expand their technical skills.
Hopefully this means that Ubuntu will finially include a graphical installer. Although I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

UbuWu
July 16th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Hopefully this means that Ubuntu will finially include a graphical installer. Although I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

According to the breezygoals page: GraphicalInstaller has one piece left in it - putting the base system onto the live CD.

NeoSNightmarE
July 16th, 2005, 06:44 PM
I think that this is definately a good thing and the fact that there is already schools in South Africa and they are using it is a good sign. Hope it gets off the ground well.

poofyhairguy
July 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Edubuntu will be ready when it can filter content.

newbie2
October 17th, 2005, 05:17 AM
"Edubuntu also has a cartoon/primitive "kid friendly" graphical theme, the first incarnation of which I'm afraid is an aesthetic disaster. It also illuminates the fact that the perceived preferences of second graders are rather different than 12th graders and suggests that some kind of differentiation between primary and secondary versions of the distribution is necessary.

Regardless, the most important thing about the first Edubuntu release is that it exists and provides a foundation for a new international open source community. Edubuntu will continue to track the Ubuntu release schedule, with the second version due in April. With the school year already underway in the Northern hemisphere, the spring release of "Dapper Drake" will be the version of Edubuntu deployed in schools in the US and Europe for the fall of 2006, so they've got some time to refine the distribution."
http://www.eschoolnews.com/eti/2005/10/001200.php

matthew
October 17th, 2005, 05:55 AM
I installed it last night on my old computer that I have handed down to my kids. It works just like Breezy but with lots of customizations. My kids are both pre-school age and it went over very well with them. There are lots of educational games and stuff, most of it is too old for them but the gCompris suite is there and recently updated with new things. The look and feel and usability is perfect for elementary schools, the software choices seem just right as well and I think with just a little training teachers (my background) will find this very useful. Since this is a first release I am not surprised there are some rumbles about the look being too young. I would anticipate that future editions will provide themes suitable for older student use as well, plus themes can be installed through synaptic, so it really isn't that big of a deal.

agger
October 17th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Does anybody know if it's possible to install Edubuntu as an add-on on a computer that already has Breezy on it? My kids might like it ...

matthew
October 17th, 2005, 06:47 AM
I think you can. Look in synaptic for packages with the name edubuntu. I believe they are all meta-packages like edubuntu-desktop and edubuntu-artwork, which means they aren't actually programs themselves, but they just point to the files and programs that make up edubuntu. Try installing them one at a time (or all at once if you like).

Much of what they point to you will already have installed so it shouldn't be a difficult process.

totalshredder
October 17th, 2005, 01:07 PM
"Edubuntu also has a cartoon/primitive "kid friendly" graphical theme, the first incarnation of which I'm afraid is an aesthetic disaster. It also illuminates the fact that the perceived preferences of second graders are rather different than 12th graders and suggests that some kind of differentiation between primary and secondary versions of the distribution is necessary.

Regardless, the most important thing about the first Edubuntu release is that it exists and provides a foundation for a new international open source community. Edubuntu will continue to track the Ubuntu release schedule, with the second version due in April. With the school year already underway in the Northern hemisphere, the spring release of "Dapper Drake" will be the version of Edubuntu deployed in schools in the US and Europe for the fall of 2006, so they've got some time to refine the distribution."
http://www.eschoolnews.com/eti/2005/10/001200.php
Every kid ever to go to school has used DOS, Win95 - WinXP. I think they shouldn't try to baby it, and just leave the theme normal. They need 1st and 12th graders to feel good using it.

Luke

newbie2
October 17th, 2005, 02:55 PM
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/45403/index.html

Brunellus
October 17th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Every kid ever to go to school has used DOS, Win95 - WinXP. I think they shouldn't try to baby it, and just leave the theme normal. They need 1st and 12th graders to feel good using it.

Luke
I kind of like the theme, actually. it's no more babyish than the default WinXP.

jbraum
October 17th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I'm a technology teacher (working on my masters in tech ed)at a middle school in Ohio. I've tried to install and partition on a win xp machine and each time I'm not able to partition the hd. I want to dual boot to Edubuntu and XP so that my students get to experience Linux. Has anyone else had parititioning problems? Also if there is a need for consulting as what might students prefer or need I'm avaliable.

derrick1985
October 17th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Does anybody know if there will be a live CD version of this as well?