PDA

View Full Version : Linux developers considering move to Eclipse

DC@DR
July 6th, 2007, 04:23 PM
If you're an Eclipse IDE fan (like me :p ), this news is gonna make you happy: http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS4521261966.html :popcorn:

ThinkBuntu
July 6th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Why does it make you happy though? I always thought that IDE was more of a personal choice, whereas revision control and the like are decided more by communities.

DC@DR
July 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
You don't feel happy? So I can conclude that you're not Eclipse fan :p. Just kidding, but I do feel happy, since this move means that Eclipse will be integrated better into Linux distros, that will help to ease the software development on Linux platform (I always prefer IDE over editors like Vi or Emacs, and I don't care if you say that it's more productive on Emacs or whatsoever :p )

ThinkBuntu
July 6th, 2007, 04:42 PM
You don't feel happy? So I can conclude that you're not Eclipse fan :p. Just kidding, but I do feel happy, since this move means that Eclipse will be integrated better into Linux distros, that will help to ease the software development on Linux platform (I always prefer IDE over editors like Vi or Emacs)
I'm a humble web designer, so my IDE of choice (in Linux) is Bluefish. However, I do the vast majority of my design on my MacBook because I have a top-flight FTP client (Transmit), Macromedia Suite 8 (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash), and Photoshop. Comparatively, my productivity in Linux is nothing. But Bluefish is great for quick maintenance, and I could certainly make do with Quanta.

Dragonbite
July 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
I've thought about Eclipse for PHP development, but most of my time is in Visual Studio.

I am trying to get into Mono, but I find Monodevelop a bit lacking at this point. If Eclipse could do Mono developing better than Monodevelop then I would download it in an instant!

ButteBlues
July 6th, 2007, 06:18 PM
IDEs just aren't for me.

I use Gedit with syntax highlighting and auto-indent, and that's all I really need. :)

DeadSuperHero
July 6th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Well, I see this as good news. Think of the robust game makers that still need to be made! :D

thisllub
July 6th, 2007, 11:31 PM
If they merged a VIM editor in it would be worthwhile.

Paul820
July 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I'll stick with codeblocks and geany. I read somewhere that eclipse is really slow. Is it?

cunawarit
July 7th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I am trying to get into Mono, but I find Monodevelop a bit lacking at this point. If Eclipse could do Mono developing better than Monodevelop then I would download it in an instant!

I was going to say the same :)

reacocard
July 7th, 2007, 02:09 AM
I'll stick with codeblocks and geany. I read somewhere that eclipse is really slow. Is it?

A bit. It's written in Java.