PDA

View Full Version : too early for another LTS?

reckless2k2
July 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I just caught a bit that Gusty Gibbon (Ubuntu 7.10) is going to be a Long Term Support (LTS) edition. From what I understand, every 18 months will be a planned LTS version. I'm kind of "on the fence" with this one. I'm still looking for 6.06.2 in the Dapper Drake in. At this point, even if you install 6.06.1, you'll still be downloading well over a 100 packages to get the OS updated. If the support is between 3 to 5 years depending on the version (Desktop or Server), don't you think the LTS release cycle should be more in line with the support cycle?

I'm thinking that the LTS release cycle should be more so to 30 months rather than only 18. 30 months brings you close to end of life cycle for the desktop support LTS while giving you enough time to convert. Also, we are only talking about desktop support as well since the server modules will be supported up to 5 years.

I just don't know if my thinking is off on this one but it just seems awful quick for another LTS especially considering they have not really even released 6.06.2. It's possible that with the growing popularity of Ubuntu that the Gusty might receive much more on-going development attention than Drake has seen.

I'm just looking for some thoughts on the whole matter.

Erunno
July 6th, 2007, 03:52 PM
As far as I know 7.10 won't be an LTS release but 8.04.

diesel1
July 6th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I just caught a bit that Gusty Gibbon (Ubuntu 7.10) is going to be a Long Term Support (LTS) edition.

I was under the impression that Gutsy +1 was the next LTS.

Diesel1.

Outrunner
July 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Gutsy will not be an LTS (Long Term Support) release, but it will nonetheless see a lot of server work and...

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2062344131.html

reckless2k2
July 6th, 2007, 04:07 PM
well i guess that answers that gusty will not be an LTS but 8.04 will be. i'm still thinking it's too early for another LTS but i guess the discussion is more to what the LTS version is rather than the timing of an LTS. regardless, of 7.10 or 8.04, i still think it's too early. i'm more into CentOS on a server though with an end of life being 7 years. even not a server....thinking along the desktop lines.....those converted grandmoms probably don't want much change. they are use to waht they are use to. i mean look at the support cycle for windows xp. i know a lot of it has to do with timing of the next release which was vista in development forever and even still now. but i would think that an LTS would be a longer haul. that's just me.

LaRoza
July 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM
It looks like a balance for "Long Term Support" and "Modern Operating System".