PDA

View Full Version : Another win for Linux against DRM.

tehhaxorr
July 6th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Here's the situation:

Friends of mine have tons of CDs that are encrypted with DRM, cd's that they can't rip from on any Windows OS, regardless of the program because of an application that boots from the CD and prevents it. This process has left all of my friends pissed off, extremely frustrated and going to extreme lengths to try and get the music (Downloading and installing all sorts of untrustworthy stuff)

So what happened? i borrowed one of the CD's from a friend, a 'Best of Black Sabbath' CD, put it in the laptop and bought it up in Banshee, my mate daniel said that there was no way i was going to rip it because he has spent hours trying with no luck. Banshee saw the CD tracks and ripped them without confrontation, the executable on the CD didn't know which way was up in my DRM free environment. I had to burn the tracks from all his CDs back onto a DVD for him to use on his computer... too bad he can't play them because of microsofts refusal to include .ogg support, regardless of the fact that it's a completely superior format to anything they have access to.

Which brings me to another issue on open information exchange, does anyone else think it would be a better idea if all the formats were enforced and open standards made a requirement?

tigerpants
July 6th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Both Apple and MS will have no choice but to open up. Doesn't matter how big a player you are, its commercial suicide not to do so eventually. Also, closed standards don't go down to well in the EU and europe - look at what happend to Apple when it collided with the Norwegians over DRM. Suddenly Mr Jobs is on a crusade to get rid of DRM.... yeah right, wonder how that came about.:p

LaRoza
July 6th, 2007, 02:09 PM
.. too bad he can't play them because of microsofts refusal to include .ogg support, regardless of the fact that it's a completely superior format to anything they have access to.

Which brings me to another issue on open information exchange, does anyone else think it would be a better idea if all the formats were enforced and open standards made a requirement?

Use VLC, from, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.

I don't think any format should be enforced, good or bad, they should be allowed to live and die on their own. I do think open standards will win.

tehhaxorr
July 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM
VLC can't get around the CDs DRM application, nothing we tried could. The problem was the application excecuting its self. I did eventually find a way, i listed it in Avira should be allowed to live and die on their Antivir as a malicious program which blocked it from accessing anything.

Outrunner
July 6th, 2007, 02:11 PM
You might also try Winamp, works perfectly for my .oggs.

Besides that, I completely agree with LaRoza.

forrestcupp
July 6th, 2007, 02:13 PM
You can play oggs on Windows. You just have to install it. Send your friends to the link below, and they will be able to play the files.

http://vorbis.com/setup_windows/

tigerpants
July 6th, 2007, 02:14 PM
What about audiograbber? I've never come across a cd it hasn't been able to rip. Might be different in Vista though.

smbm
July 6th, 2007, 02:57 PM
You can get around those DRM programs on Windows by turning off autorun.

It worked for me anyway.

starcraft.man
July 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Here's the situation:

Friends of mine have tons of CDs that are encrypted with DRM, cd's that they can't rip from on any Windows OS, regardless of the program because of an application that boots from the CD and prevents it. This process has left all of my friends pissed off, extremely frustrated and going to extreme lengths to try and get the music (Downloading and installing all sorts of untrustworthy stuff)

There is a Windows solution to this lots of people don't know. On the Windows machine, eject the tray, then hold down the left shift key and insert the DRM filled CD. Continue to hold it down until you see the CD has been detected in the explorer (or computer) then you can let go. Then right click on the CD and push explore. By holding down the shift key you override the autoplay features of the CD (99% of the DRM are autoplay executables in my experience) thus you bypass the DRM and get to the tracks.

I agree, easier on Linux cuz the CD is way too dumb to do anything to our OS.

So what happened? i borrowed one of the CD's from a friend, a 'Best of Black Sabbath' CD, put it in the laptop and bought it up in Banshee, my mate daniel said that there was no way i was going to rip it because he has spent hours trying with no luck. Banshee saw the CD tracks and ripped them without confrontation, the executable on the CD didn't know which way was up in my DRM free environment. I had to burn the tracks from all his CDs back onto a DVD for him to use on his computer... too bad he can't play them because of microsofts refusal to include .ogg support, regardless of the fact that it's a completely superior format to anything they have access to.

Uh, well... convert them to MP3 or rerip as MP3? That'd be the nice thing no? I mean seems kinda pointless to give him a format he can't play... or point him to the OGG install as above.

And how do you force people to use open standards?