PDA

View Full Version : New Ubuntu user as of June

MementoMori
July 6th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Hey folks.

A friend of mine introduced me to Ubuntu and I've been trying to learn how to use it. I'm very used to Windows but am no virgin to messing with command line interfaces. Thus far, I'm liking it, though I've hit some bumps on the way that I hope to get around. I used to work a lot with DOS and am kinda-sorta familiar with C++, but haven't messed with Perl and Ubuntu would be my maiden voyage into Linux territory.

I've read the links posted for new users, particularly the Linux != Windows one many times, and I can say I'm patient even if I do have a bad sense of humor. :)

Me? I'm a college student from Georgia, and I love heavy metal, D&D, anime, RTS games and RPGs, kung fu movies and the martial arts. I'm also exceptionally lazy unless it comes to mucking around with the computer, so Linux ought to be right up my alley. :D

Glad to meet all of you, and I hope to learn more about this great operating system!

Please don't kill me if this isn't the place to post hellos. >.>

Extreme Coder
July 6th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Nice to meet you!

Is there any software you still need that you haven't installed?

NeoLithium
July 6th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu!

Saphira
July 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Welcome! What part of GA?

Atomic Dog
July 6th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Welcome! You'll find the people to be a friendly and helpful bunch.

bchaffin72
July 6th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Welcome. I hope you enjoy getting to know Ubuntu.

MementoMori
July 7th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Nice to meet you!

Is there any software you still need that you haven't installed?

Thanks everyone. :D

Software, well, I'm not sure if I just have a Linux-unfriendly modem or don't have the right drivers. I'm on dial-up and my speeds are ridiculously slow, and I could only find one driver. As such, installing software is kind of a trip through the back door for me unless I'm in Windows. I have one of those Conextant deals, and I know that was brought up in another thread somewheres. As a result of my slight modem trouble, though, I know I'm missing some parts of the build-essential software, as the server has hung up on me twice.

Welcome! What part of GA?

Near the boundary of Upson and Pike counties. ^^

Bartender
July 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM
If your Windows PC has a better connection, or if you have access to broadband at work, school, library, what have you, you can download most anything to a thumb drive and bring it to your Linux PC.
http://packages.ubuntu.com/
I tried downloading the entire "ubuntudesktop" package on a broadband connection at work. Brought it home and installed it to a Xubuntu PC. It worked! I can log out of a Xubuntu session and hop right over to Ubuntu.

Just make sure you get the entire package. Unlike Windows, you can't just grab a file here or a file there. The accompanying dependencies are critical to success.

Ralob
July 7th, 2007, 02:45 PM
welcome! if you need anything, just ask :)