PDA

View Full Version : My linux project

tocky
July 5th, 2007, 09:18 PM
It's been awhioe since my computer crashed, and I've under this time been searching for a new computer. Under several weeks I've been researching and evaluating differnt rigs for my new computer. Since I'm just a student, with a summer job, I don't got much money to spend on my new computer, so I took the time to really think about what I want to use it for. After some thorough thinking I've come up with my desires for my new rig.

I will use it for the following three things;

3D
Audio
Work

And not only that but, I also wanted a system that is powerful and fully customizable for my needs, and I got the idea to make a Linux comp. So I've checked the internet for some information about supported hardware and this is what I've come up with so far. (I know some of the items are not supported)

GIGABYTE GA-M57SLI-S4
Corsair XMS2-6400 TWIN2X2048
Samsung HD321KJ 320GB
MSI GeForce 8600GT HeatPipe
AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+
Antec Case Performance One P150
LG Electronics GSA-H42LRBB
Samsung 226BW 22" Wide
ESI Maya 44 (soundcard)
ESI nEar04 (speakers)

approx: $2100

Hopefully I will get Linux Bios to work with this rig, since it should work flawlessly with the stated motherboard, and I hope that the rest of the components also will work great under Linux. If anyone has any recommendations on hardware, I appreciate it.

The choice of distro isn't finalized yet, this is the distros I'm considering; (in no perticular order, any help on this matter is highly appreciated)

Ubuntu Studio
Arch Linux
Fedora
openSuse
Gentoo

I really hope this goes well, since I've been very pleased with the experience I have got from Linux so far and I hope that it will continue so in the future. I were thinking on getting a Mac, but they are so expensive so that's when it really came down to make a pure Linux comp.

P.S

I will use almost entirely opensource software, a few exceptions here and there, but 99 % oss.

%hMa@?b<C
July 5th, 2007, 09:53 PM
just use whatever distro you feel most comfortable with, If you have never used gentoo, dont. If you dislike ubuntu, use arch. The same software will run on all distros, just pick your favorite.

thisllub
July 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM
You are buying a dual 64 bit machine and Ubuntustudio is 32 bit. but it works pretty much "out of the box"

I am using Fedora 7 and it has taken me a long time to get it to where it is.

SUSE is a good distro with some package management problems.

Gentoo is always a work in progress and in my opinion Portage is a liability. Check out the complaints on the Gentoo forums. Gentoo would be ideal to build a server that you wanted to ignore for a couple of years.

I would probably install 64 bit Ubuntu and install the apps you want as you want them.

diesel1
July 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Hi,

My personal choice would be (and I use it now) K/Ubuntu64. It has *the* best support(forums and wiki) of all the distributions. I tried Debian64 but it lacks the specific 64 bit support, with lots of links coming back to Ubuntu forums!

If you want rock solid stability then use Dapper64, if you want cutting edge use Feisty.

Having used 9 or 10 flavours of GNU/Linux, I can say without doubt, that K/Ubuntu is the best so far for me.

Diesel1.

tocky
July 6th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I guess that choosing distro will be my least problem since I can just switch if I doesn't like it. However I will not buy this computer before the 15th July, (paycheck), so there could be a minor change in the hardware. Anyone knows if someone succesfully got a socket 775 motherboard to work with Linuxbios, since I've heard the Intel has stated a price drop on their CPU's on the July 22th.