PDA

View Full Version : What desktop environment should I use on iMac? (PPC, 6.06)

Feba
July 5th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I installed Ubuntu 6.06 Server edition, planning to install Ubuntu-lite-desktop, but naturally that has to be i386.

I'm not sure if it can run anything other than Xubuntu's desktop, but at the same time, I hated my experience with Xubuntu. I'm planning on selling this computer soon, so I'm thinking Kubuntu might be best, but I'd like to get other people's opinions on what the easiest desktop to use is, and which one will run best on an old PC.

P.S. Don't bother telling me to put OSX on it, that costs more than the computer itself could be sold for.

solar george
July 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Xfce runs fine on and imac, I wouldn't like to try Gnome

Dragonbite
July 5th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Why, how bad are the specs? There are plenty of threads for low-powered systems running Linux, even ones that make me feel powerful with my 500MHz P3 (maxed out at 256 Ram) running Edubuntu and Gnome (Xfce is installed out of choice, not necessity).

Feba
July 5th, 2007, 08:53 PM
400MHz, 512MB RAM, 10GB hard drive. The main problem is that it's a PPC, If this thing was a pentium I'd have much better luck.

What would be some good distros to try other than Ubuntu? They just don't run very well on the mac for some reason. Something that a kid could use easily. I'm thinking of trying Debian on it, or a fresh install of edubuntu.

%hMa@?b<C
July 5th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I had a 350 mhz PPC with 128mb ram. gnome ran well enough to be usable. XFCE would probably be great for you, or I may try one of teh boxes (fluxbox or blackbox or openbox)