PDA

View Full Version : We need this girl in the Unix comunity

sonny
July 15th, 2005, 11:52 PM
From slashdot here's the news (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/232514_msftarfa14.html). What's your opinion about this? Personally, I think the Linux community would do fine having someone like her in the projects, she can be a big help for everyone.

Perhaps she finds out about Linux, and then bring some balance to the force... :-P

BWF89
July 15th, 2005, 11:58 PM
That's kinda scary. If you side with MS you get all this certified crap and people take whatever you say seriousaly and the Un*x companies can't afford to do this to the large extent that MS can.

Hopefully when she gets older she will find out that useing Un*x systems is more fun that Windows based ones.

TravisNewman
July 16th, 2005, 12:04 AM
It's not too late! We have to get her!

She's so cute! (in an awwwww way, not in a pedophile way, no jokes please ;))

Talk about fresh minds in *NIX development

sonny
July 16th, 2005, 12:10 AM
It's not too late! We have to get her!

She's so cute! (in an awwwww way, not in a pedophile way, no jokes please ;))

Talk about fresh minds in *NIX development
Yea the girl has some spark... I don't know how to translate the word to english. We have o find out her e-mail adress and send her some Linux links, maybe ship some free Ubuntu cd's... hehehehehehehehe :wink:

BWF89
July 16th, 2005, 12:15 AM
Yea the girl has some spark... I don't know how to translate the word to english. We have o find out her e-mail adress and send her some Linux links, maybe ship some free Ubuntu cd's... hehehehehehehehe :wink:

CHANNEL 4 ACTION NEWS
Todays Headline

Free software radical "Sonny" attempted to locate the address of a young girl living inside of Pakistan. :-P

sonny
July 16th, 2005, 12:20 AM
CHANNEL 4 ACTION NEWS
Todays Headline

Free software radical "Sonny" attempted to locate the address of a young girl living inside of Pakistan. :-P
hahahahahahahahhaha... LOL :-\"

poptones
July 16th, 2005, 12:24 AM
Thirteen-year-old Elizabeth Garbee may not know as much about Linux as her father Bdale Garbee, Linux CTO for HP and former Debian Project Leader, but that won't stop her from presenting at linux.conf.au 2005.

Elizabeth, who has had a computer since she turned two, has been running Debian since the time she was nine. According to her bio on the conference speaker’s list, her installation of Debian GNU/Linux on a server before she had reached 10 years of age "proves that installing Debian really isn't very hard", although it should be noted that "Dad is around to answer questions" if trouble hits.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39186360,00.htm

Send her some CDs. Don't know if she's cute or not, there's no picture. :)

sonny
July 16th, 2005, 12:24 AM
She's a celebrity in her country.. someone here in the forums from pakistan???
Well to all the Linux pakistanies users, if you see this girl please report her to the nearest Linux user group of your locality were we'll send some experts to take the demons out of her :twisted: ... Making her to program in python, and use KDE, if she still refuses then gnome it is.

alred
July 16th, 2005, 03:38 PM
i think she choose(if this is the correct word) MS because of Disneyland , somehow if people are thinking about things like Disneyland usually "respect" things like "MS" i guess ...

yeah , she looks "mature"(?) ... erh ... donno how to translate that exactly to english ... :grin:

btw , somehow i wonder if Bill Gates is sitting just infront you , face to face , what would you do ?

sonny
July 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM
btw , somehow i wonder if Bill Gates is sitting just infront you , face to face , what would you do ?
Kick his face?

alred
July 16th, 2005, 04:24 PM
QUOTE :: Kick his face?

erh , haha , bad publicity i guess ...
infact , i would like to persude him to release MS and all his stuffs as free softwares / GPL , then we will have OpenMicrosoft and that would be very nice ...

seriously , with his kind of wealth , what's the difference between keep on earning/accumulate more and stop earning/accumulate any , his wealth is already there right now for generations ...

but then Disneyland may not be that seductive for that girl anymore ...

anyway , linux itself may have trouble , maybe redundancy problem , hmm .... better don't persude Bill Gates to release MS as OpenMicrosoft i guess ... :grin:

Quest-Master
July 16th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Hehe, she lives in Faisalabad, very close to where my mom and dad are from.. :D

I should see if we can head up there this winter when we travel to Pakistan to meet family. Might be able to talk some sense into her! *cough* open-source *cough*

:)

bored2k
July 16th, 2005, 04:31 PM
If I had the Gates in front of me, I would seriously ask him for a job.

Kimm
July 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Bill: so, what version of windows do you use?
Me: ...ehm... heh...
Bill: so your using an Apple?
Me: ...not... quite...
*silence*
Bill: get out!!

:-P

sonny
July 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Bill: so, what version of windows do you use?
Me: ...ehm... heh...
Bill: so your using an Apple?
Me: ...not... quite...
*silence*
Bill: get out!!

:-P
I don't think he would say "get out", more like:

Bill: Securityyyyyyy

Kyral
July 16th, 2005, 04:50 PM
I'd kill him with a flock of angry penguins.....

alred
July 16th, 2005, 04:55 PM
by Quest-Master
Hehe, she lives in Faisalabad, very close to where my mom and dad are from..
I should see if we can head up there this winter when we travel to Pakistan to meet family. Might be able to talk some sense into her! *cough* open-source *cough*

great !! i don't think talking some sense into her on open-source is that important , it's more important to get her on this forums , that will definately contribute some sparks and fire-crackers i guess ....

infact she's not that bad-looking any way and somehow i think i need to change my medication ...

bored2k
July 16th, 2005, 04:59 PM
great !! i don't think talking some sense into her on open-source is that important , it's more important to get her on this forums , that will definately contribute some sparks and fire-crackers i guess ....

infact she's not that bad-looking any way and somehow i think i need to change my medication ...
If she's happy with her software, so be it. Being so interested in technology at such a young age will definitely make her interested in other OS even if its just to see what the competition has. If she likes them, who knows. Would they pay as much as MS ? ... refer to my previous post.

alred
July 16th, 2005, 05:17 PM
QUOTE :: "If she's happy with her software, so be it. Being so interested in technology at such a young age will definitely make her interested in other OS even if its just to see what the competition has. If she likes them, who knows. Would they pay as much as MS ? ... refer to my previous post."

ha ! things do get a bit fuzzy ...
so yeah , interested in technology at such a young age is rare indeed , as for will she be interested in things Free Softwares ? although i donno much about Pakistan and her people , but i guess maybe embracing free sotfwares would be good ....

as for that issue of "pay" , i guess it's a difficult problem for everybody ...
hmm ... better don't think too much , i still got me linux with me , split personality i guess ... :grin:

Kimm
July 16th, 2005, 05:52 PM
I think the main reason I desides to go to MS is because of the largely increased pay she would get there as apose to in the Linux community, also she might not even be aware of the existance of Linux and the community of developers around it.

In sweden I have never ever seen any type of commertial or anything even remotely assosiated to Linux untill just resently, now they are selling Linux magazines in some stores and we have a Linux user group in my town! ^^

Anyway, my point is that we need more publicity if we want to spread Linux faster, sure, the internet is full of it but most people simply dont know how to use the internet. At the moment, almost all publicity that reaches the people is the one spread by the users themselves!

Edit: if it seems as if I posted my first point after the posts before mine its because I started writing it, then eat dinner... then finnished it and all of a sudden they where there :-P

alred
July 16th, 2005, 06:18 PM
just get her on this forums , she got publicity value , good for us and the spreading of linux , hehe ...

byen
July 16th, 2005, 07:28 PM
If I had the Gates in front of me, I would seriously ask him for a job.
and please.... can I please pursuade you to only use linux on your workstation if he accepts and gets you into the organization.... Imagine that! you could actually put Gates's reaction on pay-per view and not have to work anymore.....LOL :-D

by the way... i dunno abt anyone else but i agree with ya...I would ask for a job too... why not.

sonny
July 16th, 2005, 07:34 PM
The power of the money... that's all he's got and unfortunately that's enough. I'm pretty sure that if I'd been studying something usefull to MS I would accept a job there, but I would dual-boot my machine. Or run a Live CD.... hehehehehhehe.

Money *sights* everything boils down to it, money. :?

byen
July 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM
The power of the money... that's all he's got and unfortunately that's enough. Money *sights* everything boils down to it, money. :?
too bad that its hard to negate that! Most of the Linux community seems to prove otherwise... but slowly I see distros going commercial though..cant blame them...atleast we got Ubuntu kicking! longlive this distro!

sonny
July 16th, 2005, 07:49 PM
too bad that its hard to negate that! Most of the Linux community seems to prove otherwise... but slowly I see distros going commercial though..cant blame them...atleast we got Ubuntu kicking! longlive this distro!
Ave Ubuntu

alred
July 17th, 2005, 05:01 AM
QUOTE :: "too bad that its hard to negate that! Most of the Linux community seems to prove otherwise... but slowly I see distros going commercial though..cant blame them...atleast we got Ubuntu kicking! longlive this distro!"

interesting , there are distros going commercial ,but i think they are introducing a different kind of profiting model , i mean you are actually selling somethings which are free , in a sense like many don't need to approch you in-order to own a copy of your "product" but many still need you to implement a solutions so-called for some enviroments , and yet there are still rooms for profits for you , big or small , but still way lot of better than that ridiculous accumulation Gates got , stubborn maintainence of ridiculous conscious accumulation of cash sometimes can breeds unethical and immoral practices ...

anyway , i guess we won't be around to witness that change of profiting model provided it's workable ...

Stormy Eyes
July 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM
A girl into tech? More power to her, even if it is Microsoft.

Quest-Master
July 17th, 2005, 07:34 PM
although i donno much about Pakistan and her people , but i guess maybe embracing free sotfwares would be good ....

http://www.linuxpakistan.net/

I truly believe Linux could really grow powerful everywhere in the Indian subcontinent. The governments are distributing CDs of free software and promoting it within their government, and they lack a lot of the stupid copyright acts and patent issues we have going on here in the West. Plus, the people here have a huge interest in technology as can be seen with this girl and the people of Bangalore, India. :D