PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

Sunforge
July 5th, 2007, 02:07 PM
So with the beans being a mark of posting, how much coffee do people consume in an average day?

I have to *cough* confess to drinking enough coffee to be embarrassed by my own consumption.

smoker
July 5th, 2007, 02:11 PM
i've always got a cup of coffee nearby, and like it really strong too, :-)

y6FgBn)~v
July 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Usually 2 cups in the morning.

tgrisier
July 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Call me stupid but what does "I have a drip" mean?

If it means I always have a coffee with me then that's my choice.

Jellicletrb
July 5th, 2007, 02:15 PM
I've cut back to 5 or 6 cups a day. I used to have to wash my face in a 32 cup coffee maker just to get started in the morning :D

Jellicletrb
July 5th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Call me stupid but what does "I have a drip" mean?

If it means I always have a coffee with me then that's my choice.

:D I think it means as in "IV Drip", as in, constant supply directly to the bloodstream.....thats where I used to be.

Kowalski_GT-R
July 5th, 2007, 02:19 PM
About 4 shots a day.

Espresso, that is.

jkblacker
July 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I'm more of a tea man but during term-time coffee is good for keeping me awake writing essays. Got a cafetiere for Christmas to help me through...I do enjoy coffee but I know of people my age (c. 20) who've been told by doctors to stop drinking already!

diskotek
July 5th, 2007, 02:23 PM
2 cups of filtered coffee in the morning
double espresso after lunch
sometimes 2 cups of decaff from midnight till late...

well, sometimes a cup of turkish coffee after dinner (if there is a dinner)

tgrisier
July 5th, 2007, 02:27 PM
:D I think it means as in "IV Drip", as in, constant supply directly to the bloodstream.....thats where I used to be.

Well if that's the case then that describes me to a tee.

beercz
July 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
My avatar says it all :-)

*goes and puts the kettle on*

starcraft.man
July 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Where is the tea option, eh? That's tea discrimination. I demand it be added :p

So ya, I don't drink any coffee, one cup of tea a day when I need a boost its two.

Fenryr
July 5th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I get a christmas card from Juan Valdez every year, and thank you notes from his KIDS when they're away at college...*g*

ThinkBuntu
July 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I'm on my third cup out of my Pardus mug.

Fenryr
July 5th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I'm more of a tea man but during term-time coffee is good for keeping me awake writing essays. Got a cafetiere for Christmas to help me through...I do enjoy coffee but I know of people my age (c. 20) who've been told by doctors to stop drinking already!

Hey, if it's any consolation, I'm closer to 50, and drink at least a pot of coffee BEFORE I leave the house in the morning...*l*

Screw the doctors...As Willie Nelson once said, "There's a lot more old DRUNKS than old DOCTORS..."

Sunforge
July 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM
You know reading this thread just makes me want to have another cup of coffee :-P

Atomic Dog
July 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I'm good for about 4 cups in the eraly morning, then one or two in the afternoon.

With temps reaching 115, I have switched to giant cups of iced coffee -my consumption had escalated. I now seem to have developed a 60hz hum.

Tomosaur
July 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Green tea for me, thanks. I dont understand the whole 'coffee' thing, it's never given me any 'wake-up' effects. If anything, coffee makes me feel sleepy :S

justin whitaker
July 5th, 2007, 04:24 PM

That's exactly what it means, and that is where I am at. Might as well mainline the Java at this point. :p

justin whitaker
July 5th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Green tea for me, thanks. I dont understand the whole 'coffee' thing, it's never given me any 'wake-up' effects. If anything, coffee makes me feel sleepy :S

When I absolutely, positively need to stay awake, Green Tea is amazing stuff. Always works, even better than coffee.

MOS95B
July 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I get a christmas card from Juan Valdez every year, and thank you notes from his KIDS when they're away at college...*g*

I have to quote Mr Fenryr yet again (Honestly, I am not stalking you!!)

http://www.mos95b.com/New/coffee.jpg

Pekkalainen
July 5th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I have to quote Mr Fenryr yet again (Honestly, I am not stalking you!!)

http://www.mos95b.com/New/coffee.jpg

To quote Dennis Leary: "is it impossible to get a cup of coffee flavoured coffee anymore in this country???" :D

I drink 3-4 cups a day when Im working... like 8-10 when Im free :D

psyopper
July 5th, 2007, 09:01 PM
I own my own espresso machine - one 16 oz (double shot) Latte out the door on the way to work.

On the weekends it's usually waking up with a 16 oz latte followed by a few 8 oz Cappucino's

%hMa@?b<C
July 5th, 2007, 09:04 PM
dont like coffee. Snapple lime green tea is all that I need ;)

Dragonbite
July 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM
About 2.... P-O-T-S O-F C-O-F-F-E-E-!-!-!-! that is!

I'm trying to find out if I can drink enough coffee so my molecules vibrate fast enough so I can pass through walls!!

lamalex
July 5th, 2007, 09:11 PM
2 cups strong and black.

thisllub
July 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I have an espresso machine and I limit myself to 2 double shots a day.

Papi-KB7VGW
July 5th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Usually 3 cups in the morning. I only like the 1st one hot, the 3rd is iced and the middle is just that.

christhemonkey
July 5th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Bleurgh! Coffee!! Tea is where its at :D

euler_fan
July 5th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I went for less than three/day because I had none yesterday but like a good cup of coffee, especially when the hours get really long, contrary to the "zero" option.

I did a lot of latte's for a while then Cafe au Lait. Usually I only do the strait black stuff anymore when its decent and nothing else is avaliable.

euler_fan
July 5th, 2007, 10:07 PM
About 2.... P-O-T-S O-F C-O-F-F-E-E-!-!-!-! that is!

I'm trying to find out if I can drink enough coffee so my molecules vibrate fast enough so I can pass through walls!!

If you ever manage it, please post video :)

Fenryr
July 5th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I'm a former Sergeant of the US Army, and a TRUCKER...Coffee is not an addiction, it's a NUTRIENT!

herbster
July 5th, 2007, 10:45 PM
2-3 times/week, but not regular coffee, there's what's called a French Vanilla here at the Tim Horton's chain of restaurants in Canada. More like 1-2 times/week at most now, but in the winter they are great on weekends while watching a movie :) (I dislike hot drinks in the hot weather)

Tmi
July 5th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Can't imagine a morning without a cup of coffee and the news.

I get addicted way too easy, so I ty to stick to that one morning cup only each day.

Rutabega
July 6th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I normally average between 3-4 cups of coffee a day.

chrisccoulson
July 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM
8 - 10 mugs of filter coffee per day. I get headaches if I don't drink coffee

kuja
July 6th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Coffee? Umm, sometimes I guess. I'm really not that picky. I get my caffeine anyway I can. Coffee (even instant), Tea, soda - whatever it takes to get my fix.

When I really need a lot of "get up and go", which isn't very often, I'll reach for either a pot of tea or coffee. I reckon its not healthy to do that too often though, so I abstain, usually I don't absorb more than about 500 mg/caffeine a day.

kevinlyfellow
July 6th, 2007, 01:17 AM
No thanks, a nice strong cup of tea is what I need. I'm also down with maté.

illu45
July 6th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Tea here as well. About 2-4 cups a day, depending on my mood. Usually black, no cream, no sugar. I'll have a latte every now and then if I'm at a coffee shop, but that's about it.

Dragonbite
July 6th, 2007, 01:30 PM
8 - 10 mugs of filter coffee per day. I get headaches if I don't drink coffeeYeah, weekends when my wife, another avid coffee drinker, was pregnant so that the smell of coffee made her nauseous, I ended up with a lot of headaches by mid-morning. Took me a while to figure out it had to be caffeine withdrawal. So I used soda during those weekends (anybody know where I can get Jolt anymore?!)

Sunforge
July 6th, 2007, 02:34 PM
The curious thing is that I don't drink that much coffee at weekends, although I'm a fiend for it during the week.

Anyone else change habits weekday to weekend?

lisati
July 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I was reading a poll on another website about what sort of coffee people drink. They didn't have "instant coffee" on their list, which is what I usually have at home, I ended up choosing "I don't want to aswer this question."

On reflection, it could be that in some circles it would be perceived as a sign of weakness to drink instant coffe AND admit to it......

blackened
July 6th, 2007, 11:38 PM
I nearly always have a cup of coffee close by (even in 100+ degree heat, at all times of day), and have been known to commandeer the cups of old ladies during emergency situations.

I don't usually notice the buzz unless I drink a few cups on an empty stomach.

kuja
July 7th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Yeah, weekends when my wife, another avid coffee drinker, was pregnant so that the smell of coffee made her nauseous, I ended up with a lot of headaches by mid-morning. Took me a while to figure out it had to be caffeine withdrawal. So I used soda during those weekends (anybody know where I can get Jolt anymore?!)

I think thinkgeek.com has it. They have bawls too.

-grubby
November 23rd, 2007, 06:52 AM
I usually have one in the morning and one in the evening

RJ Fighter
November 23rd, 2007, 09:31 AM
I drink it when I work during the summer. That or a Coke Zero, but those don't really count, since I consume them every day.

roachk71
November 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Several months back, you could say I had a drip. But I've cut back to less than six cups (in this case 10-Oz. mugs) per day.

Still, I'm not the same person without my morning coffee.

mellowd
November 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Used to be a lot more but generally a cup when I get to work and 1 at lunch. no more

bastiegast
November 23rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
In the morning when I go to school I drink a cup of tea plus a cup of filter coffee en usually 1 cup of filter coffee in the evening. At my work however there's a nice espresso machine so I usually have one or two espresso's or cappuccino's there.

Nothing beat's a pure strong espresso combined with an "after eight"(thin chocolate with mint)!

Linuxratty
November 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM
'2 cups in the morning.,mixed with chocolate powder and soy milk.

Bruce M.
March 16th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I couldn't vote:

Intravenous
isn't there as an option. :(

popch
March 16th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I couldn't vote:

Intravenous

isn't there as an option. :(

Would not I have a drip come close enough?

TimelessRogue
March 16th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Espresso only ... generally six shots a day as a latte or cappuccino or latteccino or maybe even a cappulatte, all doubles ... gotta get my daily dairy, too ...

Bruce M.
March 16th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Would not I have a drip come close enough?

Hi :popcorn:ch.

Yea, that would come close. I'd cheat though and open the valve to get a steady flow. \\:D/

EDIT: Thanks to:popcorn:ch I voted: I have a drip - nuff said.

popch
March 16th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I'd cheat though and open the valve to get a steady flow. .

So you susbcribe to the steady flow theory? I prefer the many little bangs theory (some 6 cups of espresso a day, and then some at night).

Quillz
March 16th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I don't drink coffee, don't really like the taste of it. I'd rather just stick with juice.

Bruce M.
March 16th, 2008, 09:01 PM
So you susbcribe to the steady flow theory? I prefer the many little bangs theory (some 6 cups of espresso a day, and then some at night).

Steady flow keeps me wired, and maté (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)) gives me the "pick-me-up" :)

But don't believe everything you read. This is bunk (http://www.noborders.net/mate/index.html) where they say: ( B, I, U are mine )

More than a drink, Yerba Mate has become a cultural phenomenon throughout South America. Its benefits are obvious. In Buenos Aires, where people carry their Mate with them throughout the day, the site of an obese person is rare. Click on the menu items to the left to find out if Mate could be for you.

and their link to a Buenos Aires person with a maté is wonderful. I've never seen a maté (the gourd) like that in use here. But it is highly favoured in Uruguay where it is true that people walk around the cities with a maté, but not here.

And then there is this line:

the site of an obese person is rare
The person who wrote that is obviously blind or never been here.

Such bunk.
Gotta run, going to the in-laws for a maté.
Seriously, we are. :)
Bruce

popch
March 16th, 2008, 09:12 PM
where people carry their Mate with them throughout the day, the site of an obese person is rare

The person who wrote that is obviously blind or never been here.

I can kind of understand that quotation. When you go about town carrying your mate, I can practically guarantee that either you, your mate or both can not be obese.

Not the same as Maté, it seems.

clanky
March 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I work at sea, when I am at home I have 3 or 4 cups of coffee per day, when i am at sea I have one at 0630 before I leave my cabin, one with breakfast at around 0700, one when I get to the engine room at around 0715...... Can anyone see a pattern developing here?

I kept count one day and it added up to 25 cups of coffee, although we had some pretty bad mechanical problems that day (Imagine a whole ship controlled by Windows computers) and I didn't finally leave the engine room until 0200 the next morning.

jken146
March 16th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Coffee? Isn't that the black stuff they drink in countries where the water is too poor to make tea? Poor souls.

Bruce M.
March 17th, 2008, 01:13 AM
I can kind of understand that quotation. When you go about town carrying your mate, I can practically guarantee that either you, your mate or both can not be obese.

Up until I came here, "mate" meant one of two things, depending on who I was talking to.

British English - mate - a friend
Canada & US - mate is the person you are sleeping with (ie: wife)

Then along came maté ( ma-tay : like say )

Imagine my surprise when I saw "mate" in a message that was referring to "maté" when I didn't know "maté" existed.

"Every Wednesday a group of my friends and I get together and we share a mate."

YEA! RIGHT!

Not the same as Maté, it seems.

No, not quite. :lolflag:

Although, you can share a maté with a mate. :)

tad1073
March 17th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I drink about 3 to 6 cups a day. Any more and i get coffee gut, any less and I can't get started.

Atomic Dog
March 17th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I used to drink 6 to 8 cups per day till I developed heartbeat irregularity,

...now I drink about 3 cups of 1/2 reg & 1/2 decaf. I can't give up the seductive flavor...