PDA

View Full Version : Slowly slipping in rankings???

PlatinumPlus
July 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Is Ubuntu slipping in ranking on distrowatch or are the other distro become more popular?

ESPOiG
July 5th, 2007, 11:52 AM
yeh i noticed that too...

i figure it is the hipe of the newest release is slipping, at 1 stage before feisty came out ubuntu were at about 2200 and opensuse was about 2000 but since feisty it it has climbed but is now dropping i dont think another os will overtake anytime soon, and if any pclinuxos seems pretty popular

but just wait to 7.10 then it will probaly reach 3000+

PlatinumPlus
July 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Was partly thinking that maybe Ubuntu users are diverting to other Ubuntu based or derived distros . . . but then again Gutsy might just lure them back ;)

moredhel
July 5th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Heck, I don't see the community getting any smaller :P

But I think it's people trying out other distributions perhaps... I dunno :|

RAV TUX
July 5th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Is Ubuntu slipping in ranking on distrowatch or are the other distro become more popular?
Rankings on DW mean nothing.

ESPOiG
July 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM

this is very true :D

Erunno
July 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Although nobody is shy to point to them when Ubuntu is on top of DistroWatch ;-)

PlatinumPlus
July 5th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Is there a better place to check the popularity of a distro? I have looked at distrorankings but I have not yet quite figured it out.

brim4brim
July 5th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I think it'll be like this for a while to come until Ubuntu breaks the barrier of getting on manufacturers computers default (other than Dell and outside the US).

Mostly I think it is occuring because of a rise in popularity of several distros based on Ubuntu (assuming they are on distrowatch too) which include codecs etc... and proprietary hardware drivers so people like to save themselves some hassle that comes with Ubuntu installations.

I'm not worried. I think distro's based on distro's based on distro's etc... isn't the best place to go for stability and might even die off quickly if they don't get enough support. Its fine with Ubuntu being based on Debian but when distro's start that are based on Ubuntu I think its too far from the original code to be as stable as I want it to be. Its hard enough for Ubuntu to be stable.

smoker
July 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM
hmm, if you added together all the ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, et al, entries, i think ubuntu would be clear in the lead, though, does it matter that much, it is all linux:-)

AndyCooll
July 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
As has been pointed out, Distrowatch rankings should be taken with a pinch of salt. The Distrowatch site itself says placing any relevence on these rankings is fraught with danger.

The reason why Ubuntu might be seeing a drop is likely to be because of the release schedule. It happens with all the distros, when a new release comes out the numbers shootup for awhile and then slowly begin to drop until the next release. Ubuntu, popular though it is, isn't impervious to this trend.

:cool:

darrenm
July 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM
I'd like Canonical to release the numbers of unique IP addresses they get connecting to the repos. Any figure they get will be a very conservative estimate of how many installs there are out there because of some machines with no net connection and lots of multiple installation sites behind NAT's. This would at least show at least how many installs there are. I'm guessing Ubuntu has at least 50% of the worldwide Linux market.

energiya
July 5th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Well, Ubuntu has changed much. I'm a PC speed addict so I don't use it anymore since its quite slow (well, I don't have a Dual Core 3000MHz processor or 1GB RAM), and the last version I used (6.10) was very unstable. Also 7.04 works quite slow for me. I don't know, but it seems Ubuntu is going more for eyecandy and newbie attraction.
This is only my humble oppinion and I don't want to offense anyone.

brim4brim
July 5th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Ubuntu does need to work on getting speeds up but its still the most user friendly distro around IMO.

I like a fast machine but Ubuntu is fast enough for me and has the features I want.

PlatinumPlus
July 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Zenwalk and Arch are quite fast and nice but I like Ubuntu because it has a large range of software and . . . I get free CD's :o

LaRoza
July 5th, 2007, 03:09 PM
. . . I get free CD's :o

AOL?

brim4brim
July 5th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Zenwalk and Arch are quite fast and nice but I like Ubuntu because it has a large range of software and . . . I get free CD's :o

That's why I picked Ubuntu initially too as I was on 56K. I now use it because I'm used to it and I think its the most stable Desktop distro and that it has good philosophies.

I also think Ubuntu's forums can't be beat by any other distro for help and support.