PDA

View Full Version : Windows is a virus - official!!

beercz
July 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM
During a routine remote connection from my Ubuntu laptop to a Windows Server 2003 box, I was downloading and installing the Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 2 from Microsoft.

Our Antivirus software (Sophos) reported it as "netfxupdate.exe exhibiting suspicious behavour patten".

See my screenshot.

epee
July 5th, 2007, 10:10 AM
You were, of course, able to send a sample/info/screenshot to Sophos (as requested) - just so they could be sure to properly identify the 'virus'!

:lolflag:

aquavitae
July 5th, 2007, 10:21 AM
You were, of course, able to send a sample/info/screenshot to Sophos (as requested) - just so they could be sure to properly identify the 'virus'!
And perhaps to Microsoft so they can fix whatever but their software may have. Which they will of course thank you profusely for, immediately fix the virus, and advertise the free update on the internet.

Tundro Walker
July 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Microsoft offers a reward program (http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/default.mspx) for reporting folks creating viruses. Funny how their own software isn't on the reward list...

beercz
July 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Microsoft offers a reward program (http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/default.mspx) for reporting folks creating viruses. Funny how their own software isn't on the reward list...

Should I report them then?

moredhel
July 5th, 2007, 11:09 AM
wahahaha xD

definitely xD

laxmanb
July 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Well... obviously the update changes portions of the operating system which is suspicious behaviour. Microsoft recommends turning off antivirus programs during the update. And it didn't actually call it a virus did it?

Polygon
July 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM
i have screenshots of windows firewall thinking that explorer.exe and rundll32.exe ( an important windows system file) were trying to access the internet and it was asking me if i should allow it.

Tundro Walker
July 5th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Should I report them then?

You didn't read the EULA, did you?

:)

brim4brim
July 5th, 2007, 12:46 PM
i have screenshots of windows firewall thinking that explorer.exe and rundll32.exe ( an important windows system file) were trying to access the internet and it was asking me if i should allow it.

I used to always deny this access. It didn't have any negative effect on the OS.