PDA

View Full Version : Further proof that MS is work of the Devil

Kyral
July 15th, 2005, 08:18 PM
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/15/155216&from=rss

Anyone think that Longhorn is gonna be MS' downfall?

WildTangent
July 15th, 2005, 08:41 PM
quite honestly that enrages me. if my OS starts telling me my monitor isnt "secure" enough to play something, thats it. ill never buy another MS OS again. wtf? how can a monitor be secure or insecure? ](*,)

-Wild

az
July 15th, 2005, 08:54 PM
People cannot possibly be that stupid.

super
July 15th, 2005, 08:58 PM
anybody know the reasoning behind this, or the logic?
secure monitors? downsampling resolution to make it more secure?

*shakes head in confusion*

sounds purdy stupid to me!

As someone at slashdot commented talk about an "upgrade treadmill!"

jimcooncat
July 15th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Seems more like the work of the misguided to me. Then again, I don't say nuthin' bad -- gotta remember that!

Anyway, it will be very interesting when Longhorn comes out. BillG talked up a good pitch at first, then we find out all the good parts got left on the cutting room floor. What is going to be left that they're going to be able to market as worthwhile for the home user and small business owner to want to upgrade? Is there going to be anything other than another coat of paint on top of a Windows 2000 base? Other than more restrictions on the user, I mean....

I can just imagine the disillusionment setting into another 25% of Windows users when they find out what kind of value they get for this new version. You and I will be there to comfort them, support them, and repartition their hard drive for them.

azz
People cannot possibly be that stupid.The other 75% won't care.

Kimm
July 15th, 2005, 10:12 PM
wtf, this will be M$'s downfall, I can almost ensure you!
Noone would go out and buy a new screen every other day just couse windows sais its "not secure", its idiotic!

Linux will look very good to customers after they see that!!

Who else thinks M$ has been stuck by hybris?

Kyral
July 15th, 2005, 10:19 PM
And my Rebellion vs. The Empire analogy keeps coming true

RastaMahata
July 15th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I can hear my uncles saying "See? Microsoft is more secure than linux! It has DRM monitor secutiry and stuff!"... even when they dont know that the pc is what's inside the case, not inside the monitor. :P

TravisNewman
July 15th, 2005, 11:23 PM
I'm hardly enraged, and I don't think that this is the work of the devil (the devil is much smarter than that), but it's quite idiotic. I'll keep using the 17 inch monitors that I bought at a goodwill for 4 bucks a pop, thank you very much, and longhorn won't mind a bit. It'll never touch my hard drive.

KiwiNZ
July 15th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I would like to see if this is really true or is it some Slashdot day dream or drug induced halucination.

If this is true I believe that this would be ultra vires commerce legislation in this country and would be soon challenged.

Would MS really include this in a launch product that would almost assign it to the grave on launch day , thus making it impossible to regain development costs ?

poptones
July 15th, 2005, 11:43 PM
last time I looked at that "discussion" it was nearly 1000 posts, I wasn't about to blow either karma or mod points wasting my time on it. But I'll make this point here because I think it matters.

A "monitor" is not just the toob sitting on your desktop. When I was wired to broadband I had an RCA cable stretched under the carpet across my living room stright from my PC to my TV set. I had no cable, no satellite because I didn't need them - I had 1Mbps DSL and an internet full of content. I didn't have to waste time watching crap on M2 while waiting for something good, I just queued up what I wanted to see and there it was.

TV set connectors can feed a signal to VCRs and also to other computers. Don't think this is a waste - I have made rips via my PC (oh yeah, did I mention? I don't even own a TV any more - no point. the tuner card in my system is my TV). I have compared "rips" I made from my high end DVD standalone player to "rips" made via decss-ing a DVD and the difference between the two was imperceptible. And even HD content can be transferred like this - 720p can be transferred anamorphically over NTSC or PAL at very, very high quality. Better than DVD quality, in fact.

This technology doesn't mean your analog monitor will be shut off by Hollywood - at least not until RGB capture cards are as commonplace as the hauppauge card in my desktop PC. It DOES, however, mean you are not likely to get 720p anamorphic content out of that bright yellow "analog hole" on the back of your computer.