PDA

View Full Version : MASM and Wine

bluehue
July 4th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has ever ran masm under wine who might be able to help me with a little problem. First, my source code:

title Hello World Program (hello.asm)
; This program displays "Hello, World!"

dosseg
.model small
.stack 100h

.data
hello_message db 'Hello, World!',0dh,0ah,'$'

.code
main proc
mov ax,@data
mov ds,ax

mov ah,9
mov dx,offset hello_message
int 21h

mov ax,4C00h
int 21h
main endp
end main
And the contents of my masm directory:

spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm$ ls
ADVISOR.HLP CVPACK.EXE EXP.EXE HELPMAKE.EXE make16a.bat MSPDB60.DLL QH.HLP SMARTDRV.EXE
ALANG.HLP DMW0.DLL first.asm HIMEM.SYS make16.bat mymacs.inc RAMDRIVE.SYS TLD1COM.DLL
CREF.DOC DOSXNT.EXE first.exe IMPLIB.EXE make32.bat NEW-CONF.SYS RCVCOM.EXE TLD1LOC.DLL
CREF.EXE EED1CXX.DLL first.obj LIB.EXE MASM.EXE NEW-VARS.BAT runCV.bat TOOLS.INI
CURRENT.STS EMD1D1.DLL H2INC.ERR LINK32.EXE ML.ERR NMAKE.EXE runQH.bat Uninst.isu
CV.EXE EMM386.EXE H2INC.EXE LINK.EXE ML.EXE NMAKER.EXE SHD1.DLL UTILS.HLP
CV.HLP EXEHDR.EXE hello.asm LINK.HLP ML.HLP QH.EXE SMARTDRV.DOC

Evidently, the hello.asm file assembles and links successfully:

spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm$ wine masm hello.asm
Microsoft (R) MASM Compatibility Driver
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1993. All rights reserved.

Invoking: ML.EXE /I. /Zm /c /Ta hello.asm

Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler Version 6.15.8803
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1981-2000. All rights reserved.

Assembling: hello.asm
spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm$ wine link hello.obj

Microsoft (R) Segmented Executable Linker Version 5.60.339 Dec 5 1994
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1993. All rights reserved.

Run File [hello.exe]:
List File [nul.map]:
Libraries [.lib]:
Definitions File [nul.def]:
spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm$
Updated masm directory contents:

spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm$ ls
ADVISOR.HLP DMW0.DLL first.exe HIMEM.SYS make32.bat NEW-VARS.BAT runQH.bat UTILS.HLP
ALANG.HLP DOSXNT.EXE first.obj IMPLIB.EXE MASM.EXE NMAKE.EXE SHD1.DLL
CREF.DOC EED1CXX.DLL H2INC.ERR LIB.EXE ML.ERR NMAKER.EXE SMARTDRV.DOC
CREF.EXE EMD1D1.DLL H2INC.EXE LINK32.EXE ML.EXE QH.EXE SMARTDRV.EXE
CURRENT.STS EMM386.EXE hello.asm LINK.EXE ML.HLP QH.HLP TLD1COM.DLL
CV.EXE EXEHDR.EXE hello.exe LINK.HLP MSPDB60.DLL RAMDRIVE.SYS TLD1LOC.DLL
CV.HLP EXP.EXE hello.obj make16a.bat mymacs.inc RCVCOM.EXE TOOLS.INI
CVPACK.EXE first.asm HELPMAKE.EXE make16.bat NEW-CONF.SYS runCV.bat Uninst.isu
The problem occurs when I try to run the executable file:

spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm$ wine hello.exe
Warning: unprotecting memory to allow real-mode calls.
NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.

Wine hangs with this last error (wineserver and winevdm are both running under System Monitor) until I close the process with ctrl+c. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here? :confused: That last command should have displayed the 'Hello, World!' message.

lisati
July 5th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Just a guess that might kick-start a discussion that finds the answer: perhaps someone else out there will know if WINE (or similar) supports the older segmented memory models?

AlexThomson_NZ
July 5th, 2007, 12:08 AM
hmm interesting problem- I tend to agree with lisati theory.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried running the executable on a real windows machine?

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 02:41 AM
hmm interesting problem- I tend to agree with lisati theory.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried running the executable on a real windows machine?Oh no I haven't as I only run Ubuntu on my machine. Reinstalling windows just to run masm will be my last resort.

AlexThomson_NZ
July 5th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Email it to me if you like, and I can try it on the missus's windows box tonight (thomson.alex.w at gmail dot com)

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Email it to me if you like, and I can try it on the missus's windows box tonight (thomson.alex.w at gmail dot com) E-mail sent. Thanks!

AlexThomson_NZ
July 5th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Hmm didn't come through, probably bounced by gmail for being an .exe - was it tar-ed?

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Hmm didn't come through, probably bounced by gmail for being an .exe - was it tar-ed?Yup, the e-mail bounced back due to the .exe file. Re-sent it as a tar archive. Thanks for the help.

AlexThomson_NZ
July 5th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Got it now. Might give it a go here at work if I can find a willing vic- er... guinea pig ;)

AlexThomson_NZ
July 5th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Hey I tried it on a win2k virtual machine here, and it worked...

That was a bit surprising to me, that Wine would have a problem with such a simple program. I don't have Wine on my machine here at work, but are there any options that need tweaking to support this "old-school" type memory model?

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Hey I tried it on a win2k virtual machine here, and it worked...

That was a bit surprising to me, that Wine would have a problem with such a simple program. I don't have Wine on my machine here at work, but are there any options that need tweaking to support this "old-school" type memory model?Yeah, it really is surprising and I'm running the latest version (wine-0.9.40). I've tried running it under every windows environment setting within wine, from windows 2.0 to vista, to no avail. A buddy of mine ran into the same problems on a Debian Lenny box as well. And NASM is also out of the question, for it seems to support a different assembly syntax. But regardless, thank you for the help thus far. :)

lisati
July 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
I got hold of a copy of a couple of different versions TASM (Borland's equivalent to MASM) a couple of years ago, I might give it a whirl some time to see how it goes on Wine

the_unforgiven
July 5th, 2007, 08:14 AM
I can tell you why it worked on windows - because of NTVDM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTVDM) which traps DOS accesses and redirects them to windows system calls.
I doubt something like that is available as part of WINE - as WINE mainly focuses on Win32 API.

Maybe, you can try out the binary in DOSBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/)?

HTH ;)

AlexThomson_NZ
July 5th, 2007, 08:33 AM
I can tell you why it worked on windows - because of NTVDM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTVDM) which traps DOS accesses and redirects them to windows system calls.
I doubt something like that is available as part of WINE - as WINE mainly focuses on Win32 API.

HTH ;)

I guess thinking about it the windows kernel would add their own wrapper around the old DOS calls to prevent unauthorized disk/gfx access, etc. in which case you wouldn't be able to use the interrupts willy nilly.

// quite obvious now I think about it...

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I got hold of a copy of a couple of different versions TASM (Borland's equivalent to MASM) a couple of years ago, I might give it a whirl some time to see how it goes on WineCool, let us know how it goes.

HTH ;)Thanks! That certainly clears things up. And I've previously installed dosbox but failed to get anywhere with it. I didn't give it much of a chance, to be honest, as I sought a quick and easy solution with wine. I'll give it another try.

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Well, DOSbox was able to run my executable (hello.exe), but it won't assemble my source code (although it will link the hello.obj file). Here's the error:

Z:\>mount C "/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm"
Drive C is mounted as local directory /storage/My Documents/CS264/masm

Z:\>C:

C:\>masm hello.asm

This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

At this point I have to assemble with wine to generate the hello.obj file:

Now I may use DOSbox to link the hello.obj file to produce the hello.exe executable which I run as my last step:

C:\>link hello.obj

Run File [hello.exe]:
List File [nul.map]:
Libraries [.lib]:

C:\>hello
Hello, World!
So I have to rely on wine to assemble and DOSbox to link the object file and run the executable. I would much rather rely on wine or DOSbox, not both, for all required steps but I'm nevertheless happy with the results.

Thanks for the help everyone! :)

the_unforgiven
July 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
I suggest you use WINE for all the build process - assembling and linking; and use DOSBox only for testing out/running the final binaries. I don't know what problems the linker might give in DOSBox.

Also, the link.exe version seems to be from an older distribution as compared to ML.exe..
Is it the way Microsoft ships it? Does it mean that the linker has not been updated at all to match up with the updated assembler?
Sounds strange to me... O_o

lisati
July 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Well, DOSbox was able to run my executable (hello.exe), but it won't assemble my source code (although it will link the hello.obj file). Here's the error:

Z:\>mount C "/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm"
Drive C is mounted as local directory /storage/My Documents/CS264/masm

Z:\>C:

C:\>masm hello.asm

This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

At this point I have to assemble with wine to generate the hello.obj file:

Now I may use DOSbox to link the hello.obj file to produce the hello.exe executable which I run as my last step:

C:\>link hello.obj

Run File [hello.exe]:
List File [nul.map]:
Libraries [.lib]:

Hello, World!
So I have to rely on wine to assemble and DOSbox to link the object file and run the executable. I would much rather rely on wine or DOSbox, not both, for all required steps but I'm nevertheless happy with the results.

Thanks for the help everyone! :)
The message about "won't run in DOS mode" is usually given when you are running a Win32 program from MS-DOS, without the benefit of Windows being present. Quite possibly the version of MASM you have is intended to be run in a WIN32 environment. If I remember I'll dig through my archives and see if I have a 16-bit version of MASM there....

the_unforgiven
July 5th, 2007, 02:00 PM
On second thought (and after taking another look at your code), is it really important/necessary for you to use MASM?
I mean, there are other native assemblers available - like NetWide Assembler (NASM) or even GNU Assembler (as)..

NASM uses nearly the same syntax (Intel syntax) as MASM whereas GNU assembler uses the AT&T syntax - it can work with Intel syntax too.
Here is some info on GNU Assembler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Assembler

lisati
July 5th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Tracked down a copy of TASM (and TLINK) that can be used with DOSEMU.... see attached

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I suggest you use WINE for all the build process - assembling and linking; and use DOSBox only for testing out/running the final binaries. I don't know what problems the linker might give in DOSBox.Yeah, even though I can link in DOSBox, I think that's a good suggestion.

Also, the link.exe version seems to be from an older distribution as compared to ML.exe..
Is it the way Microsoft ships it? Does it mean that the linker has not been updated at all to match up with the updated assembler?
Sounds strange to me... O_oI'm not altogether sure if it's the one officially distributed by MS as I'm using a version of masm (masm 6.15) provided by the college course I'm taking. I'll try to upload it onto my webspace later as I currently cannot ftp it there. It seems to be available from multiple sources on-line, however, and you'll also need a file called mymacs.inc in the directory where you extract masm.

The message about "won't run in DOS mode" is usually given when you are running a Win32 program from MS-DOS, without the benefit of Windows being present. Quite possibly the version of MASM you have is intended to be run in a WIN32 environment. If I remember I'll dig through my archives and see if I have a 16-bit version of MASM there....If you can find it, that would be great. Thanks!

On second thought (and after taking another look at your code), is it really important/necessary for you to use MASM?
I mean, there are other native assemblers available - like NetWide Assembler (NASM) or even GNU Assembler (as)..

NASM uses nearly the same syntax (Intel syntax) as MASM whereas GNU assembler uses the AT&T syntax - it can work with Intel syntax too.
Here is some info on GNU Assembler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_AssemblerYeah the version of masm I'm using (masm 6.15) is the one officially provided by the course and I have no other recourse since my project deliverables will be tested by the professor, presumably by using the same version of masm. Because of this I don't want to submit sources and binaries, generated by a different assembler, that may or may not run on his machine. It was my understanding that NASM has a similar (updated?) but not the same sintax as masm but I'll give it a shot.

Tracked down a copy of TASM (and TLINK) that can be used with DOSEMU.... see attachedThanks!

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Tracked down a copy of TASM (and TLINK) that can be used with DOSEMU.... see attachedHere's what I get with wine:

spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/TASM$ wine TASM hello.asm

And with DOSBox:

C:\>TASM hello.asm

Turbo Assembler Version 3.2 Copyright (c) 1988, 1992 Borland International

Assembling file: hello.asm
Error messages: None
Warning messages: None
Passes: 1
Remaining memory: 472k

C:\>TLINK hello.obj

Failed to locate DPMI server (DPMI16BI.OVL)

C:\>It was clear I was missing a file called DPMI16BI.OVL, which I got from http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/2963/dpmi16.zip and placed into the TASM directory. My results:

C:\>dir

Directory of C:\.
. <DIR> 05-07-2007 12:46
.. <DIR> 05-07-2007 12:28
DPMI16BI OVL 50,576 21-02-1996 5:00
DPMILOAD EXE 22,324 05-07-2007 7:05
DPMIMEM DLL 24,932 08-03-1993 10:01
HELLO ASM 387 04-07-2007 14:23
OUT1 TXT 0 05-07-2007 12:46
TASM EXE 133,580 08-03-1993 10:01
TASM TAH 176,061 08-03-1993 10:01
TASMX EXE 146,988 08-03-1993 10:01
TCREF EXE 7,856 08-03-1993 10:01
TLINK EXE 150,569 08-03-1993 10:01
WINSTUB EXE 578 08-03-1993 10:01
11 File(s) 713,851 Bytes.
2 Dir(s) 110,540,800 Bytes free.

C:\>tasm hello.asm

Turbo Assembler Version 3.2 Copyright (c) 1988, 1992 Borland International

Assembling file: hello.asm
Error messages: None
Warning messages: None
Passes: 1
Remaining memory: 472k

C:\>tlink hello.obj

Turbo Link Version 5.1 Copyright (c) 1992 Borland International

Hello, World!

C:\>dir

Directory of C:\.
. <DIR> 05-07-2007 12:47
.. <DIR> 05-07-2007 12:28
DPMI16BI OVL 50,576 21-02-1996 5:00
DPMILOAD EXE 22,324 05-07-2007 7:05
DPMIMEM DLL 24,932 08-03-1993 10:01
HELLO ASM 387 04-07-2007 14:23
HELLO EXE 576 05-07-2007 12:47
HELLO MAP 232 05-07-2007 12:47
HELLO OBJ 265 05-07-2007 12:46
TASM EXE 133,580 08-03-1993 10:01
TASM TAH 176,061 08-03-1993 10:01
TASMX EXE 146,988 08-03-1993 10:01
TCREF EXE 7,856 08-03-1993 10:01
TLINK EXE 150,569 08-03-1993 10:01
WINSTUB EXE 578 08-03-1993 10:01
18 File(s) 715,952 Bytes.
2 Dir(s) 110,540,800 Bytes free. TASM in DOSBox works like a charm :) It does, however, generate an extra file (hello.map) not produced by masm :confused:

bluehue
July 5th, 2007, 09:31 PM
And here are my results from attempting to assemble the hello.asm file from the original post using NASM:

spiral@spiral-desktop:~/Desktop$ nasm -f win32 hello.asm
hello.asm:1: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:5: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:6: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:12: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:17: error: comma or end of line expected
hello.asm:22: error: symbol `main' redefined
hello.asm:22: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:23: error: parser: instruction expected
spiral@spiral-desktop:~/Desktop$
#-o

lisati
July 6th, 2007, 04:45 AM
And here are my results from attempting to assemble the hello.asm file from the original post using NASM:

spiral@spiral-desktop:~/Desktop$ nasm -f win32 hello.asm
hello.asm:1: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:5: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:6: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:12: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:17: error: comma or end of line expected
hello.asm:22: error: symbol `main' redefined
hello.asm:22: error: parser: instruction expected
hello.asm:23: error: parser: instruction expected
spiral@spiral-desktop:~/Desktop$
#-o

I've steered away from Nasm since it uses a different syntax to Tasm and Masm.

lisati
July 6th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Just a thought - which was the first x86 assembler did the people here use? For me it was a86

AlexThomson_NZ
July 6th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Jeez, does 'debug' on a DR-DOS emulator on the Amiga count? (I did my first 'hello world' x86 asm program on that- kinda parallels your Wine experience! :) )

I think my first real native x86 assembler would have been Tasm, but can't remember for sure...

the_unforgiven
July 6th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Yeah the version of masm I'm using (masm 6.15) is the one officially provided by the course and I have no other recourse since my project deliverables will be tested by the professor, presumably by using the same version of masm. Because of this I don't want to submit sources and binaries, generated by a different assembler, that may or may not run on his machine. It was my understanding that NASM has a similar (updated?) but not the same sintax as masm but I'll give it a shot.
Thanks!
Well, I think it's better if you stick to MASM in that case ;)
The profs are a different breed altogether - I think they don't have ears/brains that can listen to whatever explanations we can give to use alternative software - even if the alternatives are way much better.. :(

As far as using NASM to compile your program as it is, well, that wasn't going to happen.
I said, it uses a nearly same syntax - not equivalent. What I wanted to stress on was the Intel syntax.
Maybe, I wasn't clear enough... :oops: 8-[

bluehue
July 10th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Tracked down a copy of TASM (and TLINK) that can be used with DOSEMU.... see attachedSorry for the bump, but I was wondering, would you also happen to have a copy of Turbo Debugger 1.0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Debugger) on hand? I found a copy of v3.2 at http://digilander.libero.it/rferru/software/TD.zip but I'm more interested in this older (original ?) version as the wikipedia page suggests that later version can cause problems with dos emulators.

lisati
July 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Sorry for the bump, but I was wondering, would you also happen to have a copy of Turbo Debugger 1.0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Debugger) on hand? I found a copy of v3.2 at http://digilander.libero.it/rferru/software/TD.zip but I'm more interested in this older (original ?) version as the wikipedia page suggests that later version can cause problems with dos emulators.

The only copy remember having is on old 5.25" disks, and none of the machines I currently use can read them. I don't have the courage to try to blow the dust of the disk drives in my cupboard to try using them with XP or Ubuntu.

the_unforgiven
July 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
You can download some of the antique Borland software from here:
http://dn.codegear.com/museum/antiquesoftware

Unfortunately, Turbo Debugger is not in the list as a separate application.
Maybe, if you download Turbo C/C++/Pascal, it might come bundled with it.

HTH ;)

Edit: I downloaded both Turbo C and Turbo C++, unfortunately, the debugger doesn't ship with these antique versions. :(

DarkW0lf
July 22nd, 2007, 02:22 AM
This is actually easier than what many have posted.
Though you compiled a MS program it is still a unix box, you need to use 'wine ./hello.exe'
You have to remember to use a dot-slash for executables sitting in the working directory or change the path variable to include the working directory (like the way windows does).

There is a good MASM development package called MASM32 (http://www.movsd.com)
I don't know of anyone that runs it under WINE but it has a lot of libraries and code for you to use.
(Note that using MASM in WINE on Linux violates the MS EULA and --hutch works to maintain the legal license so I don't think he'll help with this)

For Assembly on Linux I'd use GAS or HLA (http://webster.cs.ucr.edu)

bluehue
July 22nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
This is actually easier than what many have posted.
Though you compiled a MS program it is still a unix box, you need to use 'wine ./hello.exe'
You have to remember to use a dot-slash for executables sitting in the working directory or change the path variable to include the working directory (like the way windows does).It is not required to include the dot-forward slash when running a windows application through wine, but it would not be incorrect to include it:

spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm$ wine ./hello.exe
The above generates the same error I mentioned in the first post:

spiral@spiral-desktop:/storage/My Documents/CS264/masm$ wine hello.exe

There is a good MASM development package called MASM32 (http://www.movsd.com)
I don't know of anyone that runs it under WINE but it has a lot of libraries and code for you to use.
(Note that using MASM in WINE on Linux violates the MS EULA and --hutch works to maintain the legal license so I don't think he'll help with this)

For Assembly on Linux I'd use GAS or HLA (http://webster.cs.ucr.edu)I'm restricted to MASM and TASM for reasons discussed but I'll give MASM32 a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thus far, the combination of DOSBox and TASM has worked out wonderfully.

DarkW0lf
July 28th, 2007, 02:47 AM
I never had a program work under wine without the proper notation. The path passed to wine is a unix path and relative paths still need the dot-slash, not sure how you got it to work otherwise.

But your error may be related to MASM's operation under wine. Your app was compiled to use a memory address not available under wine. What version of ml.exe are you using ?

Vivek788
June 15th, 2008, 07:32 AM
So can this be concluded in saying that compiling and linking must be done in wine whereas execution in DOSbox???

NathanB
June 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
So can this be concluded in saying that compiling and linking must be done in wine whereas execution in DOSbox???

Only in the specific case concerned in this old thread. The OP was required to produce the old DOS-style executables and the teacher gave him a somewhat eclectic mix of tools for the task -- a newer Masm (which only runs in Windows) and the necessary older linker to produce DOS execs. Since Wine has no support for DOS, the DOSbox is needed to run the execs. There are two alternatives for those who do not wish to run *both* Wine and DOSbox:

1) Get a really old version of MASM (one that runs in DOS mode) and the linker and only produce DOS-style executables. This way, you can use only DOSbox for the entire assemble-link-test cycle.

2) Get the MASM32 package http://www.movsd.com/ and only produce Win32-style executables. This way, you can use only Wine for the entire assemble-link-test cycle.

Nathan.

Vivek788
June 16th, 2008, 04:39 PM
hm...dos style exectutables as in..?
i use masm that runs in dos prompt.have 3 steps to get it running.so can i compeletely do it in dosbox...?thanks for the info..

sighk
October 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
If you are only using ubuntu why are you compiling microsoft assembly?

try nasm

sudo apt-get install nasm

the assembly is a little different

21h is kernel call for microsoft kernel

80h is linux,

assembly for linux itself is easier also

razorxpress
November 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM
It's very simple. Download Masm 6.15 (http://www2.hawaii.edu/~pager/312/masm%20615.ZIP) from http://www2.hawaii.edu/~pager/312/masm%20615.ZIP Unzip it and use wine. I still cannot setup PATH for wine or wineconsole. I copied your source code to simple.asm. Then used wine to run it as
$ wine ML ../Programs/simple.asm

To run ML I was inside the BIN directory of masm. I copied simple.asm in Programs directory outside BIN directory.

The output was

Microsoft (R) Macro Assembler Version 6.14.8444
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1981-1997. All rights reserved.

Assembling: ../Programs/simple.asm

Object Modules [.obj]: simple.obj
Run File [simple.exe]: "simple.exe"
List File [nul.map]: NUL
Libraries [.lib]:

Then i ran simple.exe

$ wine simple.exe
Hello, World!

Some times wine alone may not run the program in that case use wineconsole.

trusktr
October 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I know this is an old post, but in case anyone is wondering, I've got MASM fully working in dosBox compiling, linking, and executing.

I've posted the details here:
http://www.atbskate.com/trusktr/2010/10/07/good-news-everyone-its-easy-to-get-masm-working-in-linux/