PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite online bookmarking site?

maniacmusician
July 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm finally beginning to come around to this social bookmarking thing. I'm still not excited about the "social" part of it, but being able to access my bookmarks from any computer sounds like it would be great (yes, I know about the firefox extensions, and no, I don't want to use them). Problem is, I'm not too familiar with the sites out there and how they stack up to each other.

So, what's your favorite bookmarking site, and why?

stimpack
July 4th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Google bookmarks. It is not social :). It works best with google toolbar. I seem to use so many google things, its very simple for me.

del.icio.us as well, though not so keen, the sharing options mean nothing to me.

zarathustra
July 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I like using del.icio.us. The RSS feeds for different tags can be useful.

macogw
July 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Another del.icio.us user

There's also ma.gnolia.com but I haven't tried it. If you're an OpenID user, that might be good though, since that's it's login system.

ButteBlues
July 4th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'm a ma.gnolia.com user.

Wiebelhaus
July 4th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Google bookmarks. It is not social :). It works best with google toolbar. I seem to use so many google things, its very simple for me.

del.icio.us as well, though not so keen, the sharing options mean nothing to me.

Say , that google extension is hella sweet.

maniacmusician
July 4th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Another del.icio.us user

There's also ma.gnolia.com but I haven't tried it. If you're an OpenID user, that might be good though, since that's it's login system.

I'm a ma.gnolia.com user.

Why do you prefer those? or, why did you choose them over other alternatives?

ButteBlues
July 4th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Why do you prefer those? or, why did you choose them over other alternatives?
ma.gnolia.com's site seems to load faster than del.icio.us.

It's also a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

It allows for me to rate bookmarks.

It features a couple smaller things that del.icio.us does not.

Spr0k3t
July 4th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I like to use Foxmarks. I move from computer to computer quite a bit and it allows me to add bookmarks without thinking about synchronizing. Once your profile is set and installed on the Firefox browser, I don't have to do anything else. If you are at a computer system without firefox & foxmarks, you just need to log into my.foxmarks.com to visit/create new/modify/delete your bookmarks. The system is very uniform and removes the social factor from keeping your bookmarks.

macogw
July 4th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I like to use Foxmarks. I move from computer to computer quite a bit and it allows me to add bookmarks without thinking about synchronizing. Once your profile is set and installed on the Firefox browser, I don't have to do anything else. If you are at a computer system without firefox & foxmarks, you just need to log into my.foxmarks.com to visit/create new/modify/delete your bookmarks. The system is very uniform and removes the social factor from keeping your bookmarks.

It does have to synchronize though. One of my friends had his Foxmarks all disappear on the computer he was on, then it sync'd and he lost all his bookmarks. At least, I think it was Foxmarks. That's the Firefox extension one, right?

I use del.icio.us because it was the first one I heard about.

23meg
July 5th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Slightly OT: Is there still no way to tag bookmarks locally with Firefox?

ButteBlues
July 5th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Slightly OT: Is there still no way to tag bookmarks locally with Firefox?
Not yet.

Firefox 3 will have tagging, though.

maniacmusician
July 5th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Thank you everyone, for all of your input.

After taking a look at both of them, I ended up going with ma.gnolia. It is indeed more aesthetically pleasing, and just seems to be well done. del.icio.us looked a little too "teen" for my taste, and it was also a lot more social, which didn't thrill me. ma.gnolia seems like it will be good. At least I hope so.

moredhel
July 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM
foxmarks AND google browser sync :)