PDA

View Full Version : Is Novell the type of corporation that will do something that we will not like?

wersdaluv
July 4th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I have been thinking of the Novell/Microsoft deal. Maybe, Novell had good intentions. Maybe, not. I do not know.

Maybe, you guys have a better idea.

Do you think that Novell is the type of corporation that will do something that Open Source software users will not like?

Edit:
Please state the bases of your statements for us to determine their credibility.

Wiebelhaus
July 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM
They will make strides toward interoperability between windows platform and Gnu/Linux which we then will emulate whether MS likes it or not.

orange2k
July 4th, 2007, 03:40 PM
They will make strides toward interoperability between windows platform and Gnu/Linux which we then will emulate whether MS likes it or not.

We are the Lorg, we will not assimilate you, but instead we will emulate you, any resistance is futile...

@trophy
July 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM

MS isn't stupid... they know that. Which is why I was wondering if that's part of the plan... if injecting patent-infringing code that couldn't easily be rewritten into Linux and then suing it out of existence is a viable strategy against Linux.

wersdaluv
July 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM
MS isn't stupid... they know that. Which is why I was wondering if that's part of the plan... if injecting patent-infringing code that couldn't easily be rewritten into Linux and then suing it out of existence is a viable strategy against Linux.

You have a point.

Microsoft is a GIANT. People should not forget that.

bonzodog
July 4th, 2007, 04:17 PM
No, not many people realise what type of corporation Novell really is. Not just that, but the Patent FUD stops at the US borders, and so only concerns those who would foolishly trade inside the US.

Novell, lets just say, that they have a hold or two over MS - MS have blatantly infringed on Novell Patents that were established up to 15 years ago, and Novell could sue them almost into non-existence.

But should a Patent war start, which MS know full well would be foolish, it would be signing their own death warrant. The *very* first thing that IBM/Novell would pull (yes IBM would automatically be there -- they have "vested" interests in Linux), is a worldwide Cease and Desist on distributing Windows with *any* PC, until the case is resolved -- which would only take about 7 or 8 years. That would more or less kill MS, and change the shape of the home computer market forever. IBM would also then counter-sue MS for infringing their patents as well, so the patent thing is a kind of cold war situation - it's all about politics, and the basic background threat of it.

Actually suing for infringement is effectively the nuclear option, and not really viable - there would be no winners.

Except of course, those in the EU - none of this applies outside the US, and so Linux could go on being freely distributed around the rest of the world with whatever desktop they want. MS could never effectively issue a cease and desist and have it honoured outside the US for anything in linux as, well, the rest of the world just doesn't give a rats *** what the US says or does, and Software patents just don't work here.

orange2k
July 4th, 2007, 04:19 PM
You have a point.

Microsoft is a GIANT. People should not forget that.

They are giant on paper only. The true power comes from people, and they ARE outnumbered - at least when it comes to the number of enthusiasts developing it and the software that comes with it Thats the real reason why it takes for them so long to produce a working version of an OS.

Wiebelhaus
July 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM
We are the Lorg, we will not assimilate you, but instead we will emulate you, any resistance is futile...

lol , good one man..

diesel1
July 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM
If you want evidence of Microsoft being kind (not), see....

http://boycottnovell.com

Diesel1.

Adamant1988
July 4th, 2007, 05:21 PM
If you want evidence of Microsoft being kind (not), see....

http://boycottnovell.com

Diesel1.

FUD site. Awesome. I have to hand it to the community, no one can create good FUD faster than the Linux community.

Also, Novell is the type of company that is out to please shareholders and customers first, everyone else second. Much like any other company. I have no doubt in my mind that Novell will anger a lot of people doing something for their shareholders.